Author Topic: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread the First  (Read 477768 times)

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Valentine's Day
« Reply #510 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:53 AM »
Dang, that happens sometimes when I transfer my story from Word to a forum post; for some reason, even after copying a new line, it sometimes pastes the old one...

Edited; thanks!

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #511 on: February 15, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
Hmm, looks fun. Of course, it doesn't have to be romantic love, right?  :3

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #512 on: February 16, 2011, 05:26:28 AM »
Well, here's my entry. Have fun.

Patchouli stiffened as a silent alarm was triggered, and struggled out of the cushions of her high backed chair. "Koakuma, report!" she wheezed.

The little devil reported back almost instantaneously, her voiced drifting to the librarian's ear on magical winds. "The storeroom was just broken into, but almost everything's untouched! The only thing that's missing is a magical focuser." By that time, Patchouli had managed to wriggle her way out of the comfortable chair, and had already gathered her tome of magic. "Mistress, do you think it's Marisa?"

The magician attempted a raspy chuckle. "Who else is brazen enough to rob us? Still, I'm a bit surprised," she mused, flipping through her book to find a spellcard she could unleash quickly, "that she has yet to attempt to abscond with any of my precious books."

"Hey, thanks for reminding me!" a gratingly cheerful voice piped up from behind Patchouli. The librarian whirled around to see the black-white witch floating on her broom, casually grabbing a few books from the high shelves and tossing them carelessly in a bag. "Don't want to ruin our thing, you know?"

"If you didn't want to 'ruin our thing'," Patchouli rasped, drawing the spellcard, "then you shouldn't steal my books and items in the first place, you little rat!"

Marisa only laughed, then yelped as she flew down to avoid a spray of danmaku from the recently arrived Koakuma.

"Don't worry! I'm just borrowing it for tonight! I'll give it and the books back, the same way I'll give back the others!" the blonde grinned, shooting past the magician on her broom. Patchouli snarled as spell circles formed around her, crackling with power waiting to be unleashed.

"Yes, 'when you die'!"

----

When the bell attached to her door rang, Nitori looked up and tried to brush her blue hair away from her eyes, only to flinch slightly when her hand bounced off the welding mask she still wore. Flipping the mask up, she gawked at Marisa. "W-what happened to you? You look terrible!"

"Just a little play," the witch wheezed, coughing out a little smoke and brushing char off her sleeve. "Still got my life, my books, 'n, of course, my hat, so I'm good." Her grin didn't falter at the kappa's unsure expression, and she made herself at home in the kappa's den, a mess of strange inventions and devices.

"So, that project that I asked you about. Is it ready?" Nitori frowned at Marisa's easy dismissal of her own injuries, but sighed and removed the mask.

"Yeah, it's done, but I'm not really sure why you need it, or even how or if it'll even work at all..." she said, going to a strange rock sitting on the end of her work bench, about the size of a small cooking pot with two handles. Grunting a bit, she picked it up, and carefully moved to Marisa.

When Marisa took the object from Nitori, she yelped in surprise as she nearly fell over. "Holy hells! Just how heavy is this thing?!"

"Well, it is made of steel, with a lead lining and encased in concrete. Of course it's going to be heavy," Nitori said, watching the witch struggle with the object. After a few moments, Marisa was able to handle the weight, and wobbled outside to her broom, with the kappa following after.

As Marisa mounted her broom and prepared to take off, she felt a tug on her sleeve. The witch looked down to see Nitori's concerned face. "Marisa, are you sure you want to try doing this? We don't even know if it'll work!"

The witch just gave her a wide grin. "Don't worry, I'm sure it'll work! She can make it happen, no problem!"

----

"Yeah, sure, I could do it," the girl said, looking down at Marisa, who only came up to her chest. "Dunno why I should, though. I mean, I was told that doing stuff like this is dangerous for some reason, and I don't wanna be yelled at again."

"Come on, Okuu," Marisa whined, holding onto the concrete contraption, "I'm beggin' you! I only need a little bit of your power!" The hell raven crossed her arms over her third eye (the witch backing up to avoid being hit over the head with the raven's third arm) and looked up at the ceiling of the reactor room, thinking hard.

"Huh... I dunno... I should really ask Satori-sama or snake-lady if it's okay..."

"There's no need to," Marisa interrupted. "It's just like asking a neighbor for a cup of sugar: you get what you need, and you can bake a cake or whatever and share with everyone, you know?"

"Unyu?" Utsuho blinked owlishly at the witch. "Cake?" The raven's mouth split into a grin. "You're making some cake?! Can I have some?" Marisa stared blankly at the bird brained youkai.

"Er... sure! But only if you can lend me some of your power." With a grin, Utsuho relieved Marisa of the odd object, easily hefting the object with one hand.

"All right, let's do this!"

----

The white haired man stared at the witch with an expression that could be best described as a mix of shock and awe. "You want me to do what?"

The witch just grinned back cheekily, tapping the concrete object and a metal and glass pentacle that she had lain on the shop keeper's counter. "Ya heard me the first time, Kourin." The half youkai sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Yes, I did, but I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't gone temporarily insane." Rinnosuke fixed Marisa with a hard glare. "That doesn't mean that you haven't gone insane, though."

"Hey hey, it'll work!" Marisa exclaimed, pulling a folded piece of parchment from the apron of her outfit and slamming it in front of the shop keeper. "I have all of the notes and designs right there! It's perfect." Rinnosuke frowned as he picked up the parchment and unfolded it, studying the contents carefully. After ten minutes of consultation, he sighed heavily.

"All right, your notes seem to be correct, but this still seems like a terrible idea."

Marisa, who had wandered off to poke at some bottles on the shelving (the tiny Koishi in the bottle gleefully poked back), whimpered at him."Come on...! I need it by tonight, and you're the best craftsman ever! I'll owe ya big time!" The shop keeper gave the witch another sharp look.

"Tonight? What's so important that you need something like this so soon?" At that question, something surprising happened: Marisa blushed. Rinnosuke blinked in surprise as the witch shuffled her feet with a red face.

"Well... tonight's special, you know? So, I really need to have it before today ends..."

Rinnosuke looked at the young witch long and hard, then sighed as his features softened. "All right, I'll do it. Just give me the Hakkero and let me pull out the hazmat suit, and I'll work on it." With a whoop, the witch plunked the octagonal device, and hopped through the front entrance.

"I just need to pop by the rabbit place, and I'll be back! Thanks, Kourin!" With that, the witch had left as quickly as she entered. The shop keeper could only sigh and shake his head.

"Really, that girl..." he griped as he gathered the materials left by Marisa (the Koishi in a Bottle gave him a sympathetic shrug of the shoulders). "Still, just what does she need that for, for today of all days...?"

----

"Something to give energy?" Eirin repeated with an arched eyebrow, before shrugging and reaching into a small refridgerator. After a few moments of shuffling, she placed a tall and thin silver can in front of the eager witch. "It's from the outside world, but it's effective for what it's made of and how much it costs. Well, so long as you don't mind the taste, or the potential side effects."

Marisa picked up the can with a bit of wonder. "Oh, so this will increase my magical energy?" The witch blinked when the can was snatched away.

"Oh, so you needed magical energy, huh? You should've been more precise." The doctor tossed the can back into the refridgerator, and started shuffling through bottles in a cabinet. Marisa scratched her head in embarrassment.

"Yeah, maybe. If you can also make sure that my aim stays real steady, that would be great."

The moon doctor frowned at the extra requirement. "Then that can I gave you would definitely not work, then." A small growing pile of dubious looking bottles had accumulated on the countertop as the doctor dug through the cabinet, before retreating triumphantly with a small brown bottle. "Here you go, something I had made a while back."

Marisa took the bottle, easily concealable in her hand, and studied it with great concern. "Hey, doc, are you sure that this is the right drug?" Eirin scoffed at her concern, shoving the medicine bottles back in the cabinet in a seemingly haphazard fashion.

"Of course it is: I remember every single drug I've made, what bottle I put it in, and where I put the bottle. I don't label the drugs to keep the rabbits and the princess from getting into things they don't need to."

The witch frowned as she pocketed the bottle. "How the heck would that keep them out?" The doctor smiled slightly as she finished restocking and locking the cabinet.

"Oh, that's because they assume that whatever medicine they decide to play with is acid or poison, after years of conditioning." The doctor's smile softened at a long passed memory. After a few moments, she glanced over at Marisa, whose eyes were as wide as dinner plates and her fingers twitching sporatically. "Oh, don't worry, that medicine isn't poison."

----

That night, a breeze shook the tall stalks of the bamboo forest. High above them floated Marisa, staring intently at the full moon above her. In one hand was the brown bottle, cap already loosened and tossed away. In the other was her mini-Hakkero, which now had the pentacle bolted onto it, with a strange, black light encased in crystal in the middle of the pentacle.

Moving with determination, Marisa quickly chugged the medicine, gagging a bit at its bitter taste, and tossed the bottle over her shoulder. The witch then took the modified Hakkero in both hands, and pointed the device directly at the satellite looming over her.

"Here we go, full power!" she shouted, her golden eyes seemingly glowing with an inner light as the Hakkero began charging, first golden, then black, then finally a bright white.

Love Sign: 「Solar Spark」!

An intense white beam launched from the modified Hakkero, blinding everything within a mile of the blast. It wasn't any bigger than Marisa's usual Master Spark; in fact, it seemed to be slightly smaller. However, anyone watching from a distance could tell the intended effect of the attack, as, long seconds after the launching of the spell, the beam impacted the moon. Marisa had her eyes closed tightly: the intense light would've kept her from seeing anything anyways. However, slowly, slightly, and carefully, the witch moved her hands, the beam following her movements and carving a trench in the satellite. The movements were carefully rehearsed, for the trench soon began to show a distinct pattern.

Time passed slowly, and Marisa's body was showing her rapidly growing fatigue: her teeth ground against each other, sweat began pouring down her face and body, and her hands began to tremble slightly. However, before she reached her breaking point, she flashed a grin and cut off the power she poured into the spell. The beam disintegrated into white fireflies of power, starting from its origin above the Bamboo Forest and ending on the surface of the moon.

Shuddering from the magical drain, Marisa struggled to open her eyes to look at her handiwork, and her grin grew to encompass her entire face. "Heh, looks like a comple~" she trailed off, eyes rolling into the back of her head as she lost conciousness and fell, her broom following soon after.

Fortunately for her, she was caught by a yakitori vendor, as opposed to being speared on the bamboo or crushed by the fall. "You damn idiot," Mokou muttered as she held the witch, her limp body hanging across the immortal's arms, "now I'm gonna hafta take you to the doctor for your stupid stunt." The witch had no response prepared, except a weak snore.

Snorting, Mokou floated towards the now bright lights of Eientei. The immortal gave a glance up at the moon, now defaced with the words "I ♥ You - Marisa" in looping English, and, despite herself, chuckled.

----

Marisa woke up to a lot of pain and soreness. Groaning, she weakly covered her eyes with her hand, and struggled to sit up. A hand on her chest prevented that from happening.

"You shouldn't move: that foolish stunt you pulled last night sapped most of your energy." Marisa frowned, and pulled her hand away from her eyes to look at the face of Eirin, standing in front of the bed in Marisa's house. "Really, Marisa, I expected something flashy from you after you came for that medicine, but carving a love message into the moon? Where an entire civilization lives, and people in the outside world can see it? Are you out of your mind?"

The witch grinned, and held up her hand, thumb and pointer finger very close together. Eirin looked at her, unamused. "A little bit, huh? Well, now you'll have to deal with mana exhaustion for several weeks. I'm honestly impressed with Morichika, though: after finding out you used some of that Hell Crow's power, I half expected to need to treat for radiation."

"Hey, I made the plans," Marisa protested. "And a couple a' weeks of bed rest is totally worth it!"

Eirin's expression was completely blank. "Hm, is that so?" she replied, looking out the window at the defaced moon. Several long minutes passed in silence, Eirin contemplating the outside while Marisa basked in the glow of success. Finally, the doctor broke the silence.

"Who was the message for?"

"Huh?" was Marisa's eloquent reply.

"Your message. It wasn't directed to anyone, but you signed it. You had someone in mind, right?" Eirin replied, still looking out of the window. Marisa's mouth moved in confusion a few times.

"I-isn't it obvious?" Eirin gave no response, instead fiddling with the window's catch, so Marisa tried a different tact. "Well, it doesn't matter if you don't know, 'cause the person its for knows damn well that I wrote for h-" Marisa's comment was washed out by the roar of sound as Eirin threw open the window. The doctor and the witch could hear the loud commotion of people arguing, sometimes punctuated with the sounds of danmaku, about a very familiar subject.

"I get the impression that it's not as obvious who the message is for as you think it is," Eirin remarked dryly, enjoying the sight of Marisa gaping like a fish. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be off. I'll send in your guests, so that you can explain the situation to them." With an almost cruel sounding chuckle, Eirin left the room, leaving behind the increasingly distraught and bedridden magician.

Yaaay. Technically Erebus safe.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:28:52 PM by Sectretariat »

« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2011, 05:52:25 AM »
Also, advice to everyone: don't write your shit in Notepad. God knows why I did it.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:32 AM »
Ah ha ha, I love it!  How incredibly Marisa-like.

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
Here's a recount of what went through my head during this.

*reads about lead and concrete* "hey Okuu will be here"

*smiles at Okuu conversation*

*finishes reading*

*thinks a bit* "wait does fusion really produce radiation?"

*does research* "yes, yes it does... just not the same as fission"

I usually go partway through that chain anytime anyone mentions Okuu and radiation, glad I finally put it to rest :/
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »
And now, let us determine who is the true King of Hearts!

(What, you didn't think I was gonna rest on my laurels did ya?)

-------

Lilly White twirled through the air, spinning in joy at the arrival of spring.  All around her bullets flew out, a wordless declaration of the love in the fairy's soul.  And through that stream of bullets tengu dipped and dived.  Each trying to graze the pattern as closely as they could.  A display of skill, grace and strength.

Or at least that's what it was supposed to be.

On the ground below, Hatate sighed as the guy who was trying to impress her ran straight into a bullet.  She hadn't been expecting much of the kid, but still....

With his failure the day was pretty much over for her.  She brushed her skirt off and left.  None of the other contenders were worth sticking around for.  Just kids and meat heads.

She'd done her own runs earlier of course.  She'd even picked a shorter skirt so she could show off her legs more.  All that reporting work had done wonders for her dodging skills, and she'd hoped that her performance this year might draw the attention of some of the smarter tengu guys that had commented on her paper.  But while she could feel a lot more eyes on her this year, in the end all her admirers pursued the older women who'd built up a reputation in some field.

She probably could have caught one of the guy's who'd been rejected on the rebound, but she had too much pride for that.  After all there was still next year.  Tengu flirted a lot, but they took their time with relationships.

Besides, next year she'd have established her reputation as Gensoukyo's number one reporter!  That ought to improve her appeal.

Hatate'd almost managed to shake all her feelings of disappointment, when the feeling of cold steel being laid across the back of her neck derailed all of her thoughts.

"Hatate.  I'm so glad I found you," Momiji said dryly.

Hatate did her best to keep her voice steady.  "Um... Hello Momiji.  What do you need?"

Hatate relaxed a bit as Momiji removed her blade.  "I need you to help me out of a problem you got me in," the wolf Tengu replied with only the hint of a snarl.  "I need something for White Day that WON'T cause more rumors about me and Sanae."

Hatate winced.  "It's not my fault she gave you a pink cake."

"It's because she thought chocolate was dangerous to me for some reason!  Nothing else!" Momiji half yelled, half sighed.

"I know, and I told everyone.  It's not my fault no one believed that!" Hatate returned.

Momiji shook her head.  "Look, just give me an idea for a gift that's respectful and not going to make the rumors worse."

Hatate sighed and thought for a moment.  "Marshmellows.  They're hard to get, but not too extravagant.  And it'll remind her of home."

"Sounds good to me sis."

The two tengu turned to find Orin standing there with her usual smile.  Hatate guessed if the kassha was in human form she was here to talk to someone.

"Is there something you need Orin?" Momiji asked.

The kassha nodded cheerfully.  "Nitori and I were gonna go bar hopping in the village on White Day.  See if we could meet people.  I know you don't wanna hook up with anyone, but if you're up for the bar hopping part we'll be glad to have you along."  The kassha grinned.  "If you want you can invite the miko too!"

Momiji smacked the cat upside the head.  "Ha ha.  Still I suppose that wouldn't be too bad, so long as you keep the jokes down.  Sanae could probably use some human company, and the goddesses will accept me as a chaperon."

Hatate shook her head.  "It's white day, won't you find more rejected girls then rejected guys?"

Orin shrugged.  "Whatever."

"There'll be plenty of guys crying over the fact that the girl gave them 'duty' chocolate instead of romantic like they thought," Momiji said simply.  "Or guys drinking because they didn't have anyone to give stuff to."

"Well have fun.  I've got stories to write," Hatate said as she turned away.

"Hey Hatate."

Hatate paused.  Momiji suddenly looked much more serious.  "Yeah?"

"At some point you should ask Aya why she never shows up to there events," Momiji said.

Hatate fiddled with her phone and frowned.  "Why don't you tell me yourself?"

Momiji turned away.  "Becuase it's not my place to say.  And because you might agree with her thoughts."

Hatate shrugged again and flew away.  She could do that later.  For now she wanted to reclaim her train of thought.

After a few seconds she nodded to herself.  She had an article to write.

And what better to write about then spring romance!

Hatate smiled and headed out towards the rolling fields past the village.  This time of the year they'd be full of flowers.  And so long as you avoided the suzerain field and kept your clippings eco friendly the local youkai wouldn't be a big problem for gatherers.  Which meant there was a good chance she could spot any people in a relationship out and about there.

Flying above the valley she saw a few humans at the fringes, and snapped quick pictures of them.  Once again she kicked herself for not figuring out if her camera had a zoom function.  But a quick pass at Tengu speeds was usually enough to get a candid photo, which she could later use to figure out who their sweetheart was with spirit photography.  She'd do the interview in person of course.  That's what she'd learned from her battle with Aya.

She'd gotten a good number of 'interview candidates' when she felt someone approaching her.  She turned to see one of the Prismrivers, Lyrica she thought, floating towards her.

The poltragiest looked her over then smiled.  "Oh hey, we needed a photographer.  Please come along."

"Huh?" Hatate cocked her head at the spirit, but Lyrica started floating down without explaining.  Shrugging Hatate followed.  It might be a scoop.

As they dropped into a little valley she realized just how big a scoop it was.

Kogasa was standing there in a black western suit, though the fact that she was hanging on to her umbrella body made the esemble more cut then dashing.  Standing next to her was Daiyousei in a similar outfit, who was blushing furiously.  Next to them was Nazrin, in what Hatate was certain was a minister's outfit.

Hatate pulled out her camera phone.  "So what's going on."

"Why it's a wedding of course," Nazrin said simply.

Hatate choked.  "What!?"  She looked over at the other two youkai.  Daiyousei was blushing feircer then before, and Kogasa just kind of shrugged.  Hatate turned back to Nazrin.  "And how are you a minister?"

"Because I'm Nazrin."

Hatate closed her eyes.  "That doesn't make sense."

Nazrin smirked.  "I'm a messenger of a god.  So I'm a priest, right?"

Hatate was certain the rules didn't work that way, but she didn't care that much.  This was a scoop after all!  She quickly took pictures of the participents, then signalled she was ready.  Nazrin raised her hand, and Lyrica started up the bridal march.

First onto the scene were Sunny and Luna, tossing flower petals.  They were followed by Star Saphire, who was holding a pillow with a ring, then Cirno holding a bouquet.  All of them were smiling widely, and wearing matching blue dresses.

Then, from around one of the smaller hills, stepped Medicine Melancholy in a white wedding dress.

Hatate's brain was buzzing from the sheer incredulousness of it all, but she knew her job.  She fired off as many photos as she could, knowing that she was going to have the best front page ever!

Medicine smiled at Kogasa as she stepped up next to the other tsukumogami and Kogasa returned it.  Nazrin coughed lightly.  "The sacrament of marriage is what brings us here this day...."

Hatate continued to snap photos as the ceremony progressed.  Cirno occasionally had to get poked in the side during the sermon, but all in all it was a very nice ceremony.  Kogasa stumbled through the vows a little, but Medicine kept smiling brightly though the whole thing.  They exchanged rings, and then came the finale.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," Nazrin stated.  "You may now kiss the bride."

Hatate actually found herself smiling as Kogasa leaned forward and kissed Medicine.  It was all very weird, but it was so cute!  She took a final photo, then clapped along with the others for the couple.

After the two broke the kiss Medicine turned her bright smile to the crowd.  "Thanks everyone!  That was the best wedding we've had!"

Kogasa nodded.  "Yeah.  The photographer added some surprise to this one too.  Thanks Miss!"

"No problem," Hatate blinked.  "Wait, 'this one'?  You've done this before?"

The two tsukumogami looked confused at the question.  "Of course!  You haven't?  It's a real fun game," Medicine said.

"This is their seventh wedding," Cirno said with a laugh.

"We get to keep the dresses," Sunny added.

Nazrin leaned over to Hatate and whispered, "She's a doll tsukumogami.   She probably remembers being in fake weddings all the time.  And the umbrella doesn't know enough to correct her."

Hatate sighed deeply as she saw her story blow away on the wind.

"What should we play now?" Medicine asked Kogasa.

"I think we should change and try to surprise Tewi!" the karakasa replied.

"Sure!"

The two turned and waved to the 'wedding' party.  As they flew off Medicine said, "Thanks again everyone.  We'll call you when we want to play again!"

Nazrin removed her white collar and floated into the sky soon after.  "Well, that's it for me.  Later."  She flew off, with Lyrica following after.

Hatate sighed again and started parsing through her photos.  "Well I guess I could make an article on Christian style weddings."

Cirno floated to look over her shoulder.  "Oh!  You could make a story about youkai romance!"

"Do you even know what that means?" Hatate asked the fairy.

"Of course!"  Cirno looked offended.  "It would be a article on the many different, er...."  The fairy paused.

"Courtship rituals," Star offered sweetly.

"Right!  Courtship rituals that youkai perform!" Cirno finished proudly.

Hatate blinked at the ice fairy for a bit.  "That's... actually not a bad idea."  She flipped out her camera and started typing.  "So what are the rituals for fairies?" she asked with a bit of a smirk.

Cirno looked stumped for a moment.  "Er..."

"Well when two fairies love each other very much, the stork comes and brings them a baby fairy," Luna said simply.

Sunny laughed, "Come on, don't you know that Cirno!?"

"Shut up!" Cirno pouted.  "That's about baby fairies, not courtship.  It's different!"

Hatate shook her head.  "Don't tell me you actually believe that nonsense."

The fairies all looked at her in surprise.  "Oh, but it's true," Star said

"Yeah!  I mean some fairies just form, but the stork thing is totally true," Cirno stated firmly.  Sunny and Luna nodded in agreement.

"Have you ever seen that happen?" Hatate asked bluntly.

"Uh...."  The four fairies looked around at one another.  "Well, I mean...."

"I have pictures."

Everyone turned to see Daiyousei holding up some old polaroids.  "This was from when I was born."

Everyone crowded around the green haired fairy.  "You've never shown me there Daiyousei!" Cirno said in wonder.  "How long have you had them?"

"Well, it never came up.  And my parents gave them to me because they kept losing them," Daiyousei said happily.

Hatate flipped through the pictures rapidly.  Her head hurt.  She wanted to deny it, but sure enough, there were two fairies holding hands, and a stork with a basket in it's beak.  She even could see a family resemblance between Daiyousei and the wind fairy and lake fairy that were standing in the picture.

Worse yet, she could tell from the camera work exactly who was responsible for these photos.

She quietly left the five faries cooing over how cute Daiyousei was as a baby (which to be fair was pretty damn cute) and headed back towards youkai mountain.  She took a few detours along the way, but soon she arrived at the house of the person responsible for her current headache.

Seeing the windows were open she knocked on the door.

There was a pause, then the door slowly opened up.  "Hatate.  I didn't expect to see you here," Aya said.

"Did you stage that crazy stork photo?"

Aya furrowed her brow in confusion, for a moment, then she realized what was being asked.  "Ah!  That photo.  No, fairies are just weird sometimes."  Aya smirked.  "You've got a ways to go still kid if you couldn't tell me that straight off."  Aya thought a moment more.  "Hey, why are you bugging me about that?  Shouldn't you be out for the spring festivities?"

Hatate winced inwardly.  "They ended today.  No one my age worth bothering with."

"Ah."  Aya seemed pensive at that.  Then she opened the door.  "Well if you want to see the negatives as proof come on in.  I don't need to worry about you seeing that story."

Hatate was surprised at the offer, but she stepped inside anyway.  She knew what Aya's house looked like of course.  Papers and books were in most of the rooms, a printing press was in the corner, and there was a back area where Aya actually lived.  But the thing that caught her trained eye right now was a table with a bottle of Oni whiskey sitting on it, with an empty glass in front of it.  She turned her attnetion back to Aya who was a little less stable then she normally looked.  "Are you drunk," Hatate asked incredulously.

"No.  I've been drinking.  There's a difference," Aya stated sitting down and pouring another shot.  She pulled out a second glass.  "Want some?"

Hatate hesitated a moment, then shrugged and nodded.  Oni whiskey was about four times as potent as pure alcohol with all the stuff they added to it, but Tengu could handle it.

They sat there for a little while, each taking sips of the vile stuff, while Hatate generally felt more and more awkward.  Finally she managed to say, "So, Momiji said I should ask you why you never go to the spring events.  Even though you're unmarried."

Aya's eyebrows raised at that.  "Hm.  Momiji's matured."  The older tengu took another sip before continuing, "Tell me Hatate, which is more important to you.  Finding a mate, or being a reporter?"

Hatate looked at Aya for a moment.  "Well, I wouldn't say one is more important then the other.  I mean, I wouldn't want to go out with someone who wanted to keep me from reporting of course, but I don't see how'd they'd conflict."

"Ah, but they do."  Aya waved her glass a bit.  "You see to be a good reporter, you have to be a bad tengu.  You have to go and chat with non tengu all the time, and you're on the job on all the big holidays.  Anyone dating a big name reporter's gotta deal with that crap."  She took another sip.  "So while it's not a yes or no answer, you've gotta figure out what you're gonna sacrifice."

Hatate stared at her drink at that.  She couldn't really disagree with Aya's words.

Finally she slammed her hand down on the table.  Screw this.  She swiged the whole glass of whiskey, choked on the fumes for a bit, then stood up.  "Alright.  Let's go Aya."

"Wha?" Aya was looking up at her in confusion.

"You said it'd be harder to find a good date if we stick to reporting right?  Well that means we just have to be a little more forceful about dating."  Hatate brushed off her outfit.  "So we're going to head to a bar, find some good looking guys, and try some oni courtship."

Aya blinked at her.  "Isn't that when you walk up to someone, kiss them, and if they only dislocate your jaw that means they're fine with dating?"

"Yep."

Aya laughed and shook her head at Hatate's reply.  "Sure why not."  The older tengu downed her own drink.  "Let's go."

The two Tengu laughed as they headed out into thje night.

They'd come to regret it slightly later however, when their success made oni courtship take off among the tengu for a couple of years.  It did end up improving Hatate's right hook though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:18:48 AM by Iced Fairy »

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #517 on: February 18, 2011, 01:27:21 AM »
?Hey, HEY!? Yuuka came running through her field.  At the edge there was a group of kids from the human village.  ?Goddamn kids, get away from my field!?

?Eek!  She's coming, she's coming!? one of the boys shouted.

?I heard she uses kids as ferti...forty...dirt!? another kid shouted.

?She's gonna eat us!? another one shouted.

?No girl's worth this!? the first one shouted and they all ran off.

?What the hell was that about?? Yuuka thought to herself watching the kids run off.  She heard ruffling behind her.  She turned around quickly and reached down and grabbed a small fairy in a blue dress.  ?Fairy,? she said.

?I ain't afraid of you!? she said thrashing around.

?You should be,? Yuuka responded.  ?How much I kill you depends on your answer.  Why is everyone interested in my flowers all of a sudden??

?You can't a fairy!? she responded.

?Oh I can,? she said lifting the fairy to eye level.  ?But you'll just get better right?  Maybe I won't kill you.  Maybe I'll beat you down fraction of your health,? she grabbed a plant with her free hand, ?see this plant, it's a miracle worker for fairies.  Completely cures them.  I could inject you with this plant and you'd never get hurt, relatively speaking.  No bruising, no broken bones; it'll be healed instantly!  But you'll still fill it!  Each and every time!? she smiled at the fairy, who was in tears.  ?So let me ask you another question, do you want to answer my first question??

?Da...da...da...? she tried to say.

?You want your daddy?  Is that what you're trying to say?? Yuuka said.  ?I'm tired of this.  Now I'm going to ask myself a question; do I want to put my plant in you now or after I beat you the first time??

?No, no, no, noooooo!? she screamed.  The was an explosion behind Yuuka's head.

?Put her down!? Reimu yelled flying over.

?Always a pleasure, Shrine Maiden,? Yuuka grumbled.  ?Hey, I've got an incident for you to solve.?

?I'm not going to do anything for you, until you put her down.?

?You see, now we're at an impasse.  Cause I'm not going to put her down until I know why she and everyone else have been stealing my flowers.  So you find out why and I'll put her down, almost good as new.?

?Guess it can't be helped,? Reimu sighed.  ?There's a new fad, taking a flower from your garden and giving it to someone is a huge sign of affection.?

?You are good,? Yuuka said.  ?Didn't even have to beat anyone up,? she looked down at the fairy and shrugged.  ?Here catch,? she threw her hard at Reimu.

?Why?? Reimu yelled, catching the fairy.

?She was still messing around in my garden and had to be punished,? Yuuka said nonchalantly and started walking off.

?Fair enough,? Reimu sighed.  ?Where are you going??

?So this is a Trail by Fire thing, huh?  Heh heh heh heh heh, when I'm done, if anyone manages to take a flower from me, they better marry them.  Or put out, whatever humans do to show there affection.?

?They're just kids and fairies!? Reimu yelled.  ?Cirno, you better tell your friends to stay away from here, okay??  She nodded.  ?You'd have to be a complete idiot to try now.?

?Challenge accepted!? Marisa said, after hearing the story.

?No, no no no no!? Reimu protested.  ?Alice say something!?

?I'm not going to put out,? she smirked.  Reimu gave her a look of disapproval.  ?Don't give me that look, I have complete faith that Marisa probably won't die.?  A huge smile swiped across her face, ?right away,? Alice added and smile vanished.

?Sanae, help me talk some sense into them,? Reimu said turning around.  ?Sanae?  Where'd she go??

Marisa sighed and shook her head, ?Must be nice to be so dense.?  She said patting Reimu on the shoulder.

?What?? Reimu asked.

?I'm off, wait for me at the house Alice.  And you wait for Sanae, if I see her I'll send her back here.  Oh yeah, and Alice watch out for the spanner,? Marisa said and flew off towards the Garden of the Sun.

?Gotcha,? Alice waved and started walking in another direction.

?I don't believe this,? Reimu said.

Sanae, Marisa, and Yuugi stood on a hill over looking the Garden of the Sun.

?Yuugi?  Why are you here?? Marisa asked.

?Same reason as you, to get a flower.?

?You heard about it all the way underground,? Sanae asked.

?I heard it from Utsuho, who heard it from Cirno.  And if it all goes well, you're not going to want to return home tonight, you catch my drift,? she started nudging Sanae with her elbow.

?Yea, yea I get it,? Sanae rolled her eyes.

?I don't want to get married,? she continued.

?I know what you mean!? Sanae yelled.

?I want to do you Goddess,? she said bluntly.

?Okay, give me one good reason to not seal you right here, right now!? Sanae yelled.

?That's no way to speak to your Goddess in Law,? Yuugi looked up at the sky in deep thought.  ?Goddess in Law?  Is that right??

?Nah, you're not getting married,? Marisa answered.

?Ah, you're right.  Didn't think of that.?

?That's it, I'm sealing you!? Sanae yelled.

?I can teach the Narwhal,? Yuugi said.

?What the hell's a Narwhal?? Sanae stopped and asked.

?Oh, they're Sea Unicorns,? Marisa responded.

?They're not real,? Sanae said.

?Yea, they do,? Marisa answered.

?Do you really expect me to believe Sea Horses grow horns??

?What, no Sea Horses and Norwhals are two different things,? Marisa explained.

?Oh, what's the Sea Horse?  I've never tried that position?? Yuugi butted in.

?Wait, what?? both girls responded.

?This is getting us nowhere, let's go,? Sanae said ran off towards the garden.

Marisa walked up to Yuugi, ?So the Norwhal, huh??

?Yup, you're going to need access to large body of water, a horn, a couple of oxygen tanks, and Gensokyo Rock Lobster.?

?What's the Lobster for??

?In case you get hungry.?

?Oh.? she looked down at the Garden and Sanae standing there, ?We better hurry.?

They ran down to where Sanae was standing, ?Sanae??  Marisa said when they got up there.  She was unmoving and have a blank stare, Marisa waved her hand in front of her face and got no response.

?Look,? Yuugi pointed at the ground.  There was a vine traveling wrapping itself around Sanae's leg.

?Catoblepas Root,? she stomped down it, causing it to snap and the part wrapped around Sanae unrivaled and fell to the ground with a loud thump.

?Wh, what was that!?? Sanae yelled.

?Catoblepas Root,? Marisa said again.  ?A parasitic plant with a strong, fast acting paralyzing agent.  The paralyzing agent, makes it to heavy to grow itself up.  It goes after warmth of another living body and feeds off their nutrients while keeping them in place.  And as you saw as soon as the plant is off the body they can move.  So it's more of a defensive plant than an offensive one.?

?What does that mean?? Sanae asked.

?Two things: one, you can't use the poison to paralyze people.  Just pisses Alice off.  And two, we're in for some fun,? Marisa explained.

?How do you know this??

?I'm Marisa, I know everything,? she nudged closer to Sanae, ?except how to respect others personal space.  How you doing??

Sanae pushed Marisa off, ?Can't we just grab one of these flowers??

?Nope, wouldn't be much fun.  Let's venture deeper,? Marisa said and she and Yuugi went into the garden.

?I've got a bad feeling,? Sanae cautiously looked over her shoulder and ran after them.

?Hey, while you were lolly gagging back there, we decided to raid the green house,? Yuugi said when Sanae caught.

?What, I couldn't have been gone that long.  I want a say in that.?

?Okay fine,? Marisa stopped and turned around.  ?I say we raid the green house.?

?I agree,? Yuugi said.  ?You're out voted, to the green house!?

?Ugh,? Sanae groaned and looked around.  ?How come no Mandragaras or Aluranes are coming??

?You should know by now, Yuuka doesn't work like that.  She's not going to harm or kill us off hand.  She'll do it personally,? Marisa said nonchalantly.

?What?  But that Cattle Bus Root??

?Catoblepas,? Marisa corrected, ?And were you aware of what was going on??

?Umm, yeah, it was scary not being able to move.?

?Exactly, there's probably traps like that everywhere.  And I'm sure Yuuka knows when they've got something.  In face, I bet she's pretty peeved at me for stomping that one.?

?Yuuka's not one to piss off,? Sanae said bluntly.

?Nope,? Marisa said and laughed.  Then she suddenly stopped and punched a sunflower.

?WHY?? Sanae let out a loud cry.

?Relax, Yuuka's messing with us.  She knows we know, she's mad.  Might as well work her into a blind rage,? Marisa said and punched the sunflower again.

?I get it,? Yuugi said.  ?An old expression, goes something like 'To use a stove, get it hot and angry.'?

?No, it's 'Ender's anger was cold, and he could use it. Bonzo's anger was hot, and so it used him.'  It's from Ender's Game,? Marisa corrected.

?I've heard it both ways,? Yuugi said.  ?Either way, it's a good plan,? she turned to sunflower.  She was taller than the rest and her face was at the sunflower's center.  She balled up a fist and punched.  The flower disintegrated.

?Ohhohho, wow,? Marisa said laughing.  ?I'm so glad I lived long enough to see that, Poof,? she made an expanding motion with her hands. ?And it's gone.?

?Are you happy now, she's gonna kill you two now,? Sanae said.

?Oh no, you're going down too,? Marisa said.

?Why, I didn't punch a flower,? she crossed her arms.

?Yea, but you didn't stop us and that makes you just a guilty,? Marisa said and walked off.

?Shame on you Sanae,? Yuugi said and followed after her.

?Damn it,? Sanae sighed.

?Uh-oh,? Marisa suddenly blurted out after peering past the next row of flowers.

?What 'uh-oh?'? Sanae asked.

?Yuuka's out there, guarding the green house,? Marisa whispered and pointed.  Sanae and Yuugi looked out, there was Yuuka five feet in front of them standing there with her arms crossed.  ?Also, the green house is a lot closer than I thought.?

?WHY ARE YOU WHISPERING!? Sanae yelled.  There was a loud whoosing noise and Sanae was gone.  And suddenly Yuuka dropped down from the sky holding Sanae by the back of the collar.

?You know, I am at a lose,? Yuuka suddenly started speaking.  ?I didn't expect anyone IDIOTIC enough to go past the first row.  And yet,? she looked over at Marisa and Yuugi, ?and yet here you three are.  Except for you Witch,? she said looking at Marisa, ?it's no surprise to see you here.  But you B Shrine Maiden,? she held her up to her face, ?and you...you...? she looked over Yuugi, ?drunk...thing.  Why are you here?  You punched a flower, what the hell??

?Umm...I didn't,? Sanae said.

?QUIET!? Yuuka yelled and threw Sanae to the ground.  ?I...I...I don't know what to do.  Everyday, kids come and try to take my flowers.  Fairies come and forget.  Old Hags come and take my flowers.  And now you three come and invade my property!  And I just have to know why.?

Marisa looked over and pulled a sunflower out of the ground and walked up to Yuuka.  ?I love you,? and handed it to her.  Yuuka's face turned red and she grabbed the flower.

?For...me??  Yuuka squeaked out.  ?Are you serious??

?Y, yes, forever and always,? Marisa smiled.

Yuuka gripped the flower hard with a quivering hand and threw it to the ground, ?Are you just about the BIGGEST IDIOT!?

?Aw crap,? Marisa said.

?You.  You.  You, youyouyou YOU!  DEAD!  KILLING!  YOU!  AM!  ME!  KILLING YOU!?

?I think I went just a little too far,? Marisa said holding up her index and thumb.

?I'm resigning to my fate,? Sanae sighed, ?What's the plan and make it quick.?

?Plan hasn't changed, we're still getting into the green house,? Marisa grinned.  ?There's just a boss fight now.?

?Heh, heheheheh!  Yes, make it fun for me!? Yuuka said.

?Kay,? Sanae nodded and ran out and slapped Yuuka in the face with a mini pillar.  She flew off the ground and smacked into the green house.

?Heh heh,? Yuuka said and fell down.

?That,? Marisa said scratching her head.

?was disappointing,? Yuugi finished.

?Come on,? Sanae said and ran inside.

?Hey,? Marisa yelled and ran after her, ?what's with you all of a sudden??

?Yukari,? Sanae said.  ?That was the Old Hag, Yuuka mentioned, wasn't it??

?Probably,? Marisa nodded.  ?Better grab a good flower.?  She started looking around, ?There!?  She pointed at a long and slender flower with a red and white bulb, ?Amaryllis.  Take that.?

?Why aren't you taking it?? Sanae asked walking over to the flower.

?Alice, wouldn't like something like that.  It's only twenty-eight-point-five-seven-one-four percent of something she'd like,? Marisa smiled gently, ?Go on, hurry.?  She and Sanae walked to the exit of the building and she flew off, back to the shrine.

Marisa felt a hand on her shoulder, ?Witch.?  She gulped, ?You didn't say I'd be hit with a log.?

?Um, gotta go,? Marisa said and flew off.

?It's not over,? Yuuka yelled and watched Marisa fly off.  She felt she was being watched and turned around to see Yuugi and Kanako standing there with huge grins on there face.  ?What do you two want?  I did my part.?

?You did a nice thing,? Yuugi said.

?You even through in some insintive with that Yukari lie,? Kanako said.

?That was no lie, the Old Hag came and took a flower,? Yuuka said bluntly.

?God damnit Yukari,? Kanako sighed.

?What?? she popped up behind them.  ?I've got many suitors you know, not just the shrine maiden.?

?Whatever, get off my property before I start to get really angry!?

?Don't you want to at least know if it worked?? Kanako said.

?No,? Yuuka said and turned around and walked into the green house.

?Well, I want to see,? Yukari said and disappeared into the gap.

?Wait,? Kanako started to go after her, but was stopped by Yuugi.

?Look,? she pointed down.  Elly was walking towards the green house carrying a sunflower.

?Heh, for a false rumor to help the two shrine maidens along, it really went far,? Kanako smiled.

Earlier at the Shrine, Reimu was pacing around nervously.  ?Never pegged you to be a stay at home bride,?Yukari butted in.

?Not now,? Reimu said.  ?I'm going after her.?  She grabbed her weapon and started heading for the door.?

?Wait,? Yukari popped up in front of her.  ?She's a big girl, she;ll be fine.?

?This has nothing to do with skill!  If Sanae got hurt--? Reimu started.

?So that's how it is,? Yukari said fiddling with something behind her back and she started laughing to herself.

?What's so funny?? Reimu yelled grabbing Yukari by the collar and pulling her down.  ?If you had anything to do with this!?

?Nothing, I swear.  It's just something someone made up to try and impress someone else or to even help others along.  It's not the first time.  Remember a few years back when all the rage were the flowers growing by the Senzu River??

?If you have a point, make it.?

?These trends come and go, but it's the gesture that matters.  Whether you like the  flower or not doesn't matter, they went out of their way to get something for you,? she looked over her shoulder and saw Sanae heading back.  ?I should leave before I outstay my welcome,? she said disappearing into her gap.

Sanae landed in front of Reimu and started looking around nervously, ?Was Yukari here??

?What were you thinking!?  Just running off like that?? Reimu yelled at her.

?I, I,? Reimu noticed her twiddling something in her hands, she looked down and saw a red and white flower.  Yukari's words floated back in her head.

?Is that for me?? Reimu asked.

?Yes, I got it all the way from Yuuka's green house,? she said in a small voice.

?You didn't have to,? Reimu said and looked down.  ?Come on in,? Reimu and lead her in the shrine.

The skies above the shrine was full of people.  ?Aww, look, they made progress,? Marisa said looking down.

?And Yukari didn't mess it up,? Alice said.

?I couldn't if I want to,? she sighed.  ?Those two were just meant to be.?

?I guess things happen for a reason,? Marisa said and put her arm around Alice.

?I don't know why you're getting cozy, you're not getting anything tonight,? Alice said.

?What?  Why not??  Marisa responded in disbelief.

?Where's my flower?  You know the rules,? Alice crossed her arms.  Marisa looked at Alice and towards the garden a few times and Alice chuckled to herself.  ?Let's go home.?

The hardest part was choosing a couple to focus on.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #518 on: February 18, 2011, 01:30:12 AM »
oops I wrote something connecting into a previously existing fic (first part of girl in the cave)

potentially erebus safe

OH WELL

Yuugi struck the nail. She had worked tirelessly, and now the house was almost complete?all that was left was to shingle the roof and it would be done. Her message to that girl. Yuugi had never been good at expressing herself with words. She found it best to do so through action. This house was that action, that expression, that message. The only way Yuugi knew how to speak to someone. As she grew closer to the end of the roof, thoughts began to creep into her mind.

Yuugi struck the nail. Her cheek stung with a memory. The girl screamed about her past and lashed out, and it hurt Yuugi. The pain was something she forgot?something not physical, the slap was little more than a bee sting to an oni. But it hurt her heart. Hundreds of years had passed since she had felt such a pain. However, it was a pain that the girl had felt every day of her long, long life. Yuugi?s fingers tightened on the hammer.

Yuugi struck the nail. She recalled moving to the underground, a mass of oni huddled together, hauling their possessions in wagons and wheelbarrows like refugees. Retreating from the persecution of humans, and the above world, moving below ground to be sealed away for what they thought was forever. Yuugi remembered seeing a bright pair of green eyes from the darkness?and she knew now who those eyes belonged to?but she moved on, deeper underground with the rest of the oni, ignoring the eyes watching them. They created a new city and partied every day, time melding into itself in a drunken haze. How many centuries had it been? Each day the oni spent drinking was another day the girl spent cold and alone, eating the uncooked meat of bats.

Yuugi struck the nail. She had forgotten about hurt and pain. Forgotten that there were people who were suffering. Forgotten that there was anguish and misery. All she knew for so long were friendly fights and drinks. When the miko and the witch came through the underground, Yuugi remembered that there was still a world above, and that it was still full of all the emotions it always had been. A part of Yuugi wanted to return to that?and that was how she met the girl, the one who taught her the painful lesson that the world can be very terrible and cruel to people.

Yuugi struck the nail. She hated that such unfairness existed. That such loneliness existed. As she spoke with the girl, Yuugi could plainly see that she was a girl with a kind heart, locked away and buried after ages of emotional torment. It wasn?t fair that someone like her had to suffer. No one deserved the sentence she bore. But Yuugi already knew there was nothing she could do to break that burden, to destroy the chains holding the girl to that place. It made Yuugi frustrated and angry, to be unable to help this girl she was quickly becoming friends with. She felt weak and helpless.

Yuugi struck the nail. At the time, her frustration confused her. After the move, she stopped getting close to people. The Four Devas were separated and every day was a new party with new people. She told herself it was just the natural progression of things... but maybe she was just afraid. Afraid of losing whoever she called a friend. Afraid of getting involved. Afraid of betrayal. Afraid of all the painful feelings that came with being close to another person. Watching the girl live day to day without a smile was like a knife at Yuugi?s heart.

Yuugi struck the nail. Meeting the girl day after day, Yuugi tried as hard as she could to bring some happiness into the girl?s life. But it wasn?t enough. Yuugi couldn?t open the girl?s heart with sake and food. When Yuugi realized this, she began to question how she had been living. She thought, for a moment, about returning to her life of drinks and parties and attempting to forget the pain that existed above her. Her heart quaked at the thought, and she understood that she couldn?t just forget. She couldn?t hide under the earth in an ocean of booze and forget anymore. For the first time in centuries, Yuugi was feeling intense emotions. Though they were intimidating and confusing, and though Yuugi was still working through them all and trying to understand the world she had left so long ago, the one thing she knew with certainty was that she couldn?t sit idly by and watch someone suffer alone so intensely. Especially not a friend. Especially not someone she cared about?maybe the first person she?s really cared about in centuries.

Yuugi struck the nail. The final shingle was in place. The house was complete. She jumped off the roof and pat Yukari?her audience?on the shoulder. Yuugi entered her construction?the thing that represented everything she had been experiencing. The message she wanted to express to that girl. The hope she wanted her to feel. The smile she wanted to see upon her face. Reality began to warp around the building. Yuugi wasn?t sure what lay beyond this gap for her, but she had decided to face it like an oni?with a smile on her face and no fear in her heart.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #519 on: February 23, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
Come on, you totally knew that was coming:

Deadline Extension ~ February 27th

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #520 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:52 AM »
aaaaaaaaa I promised I wouldn't do this anymore aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

----

Spring had arrived in Gensokyo, which didn't need to be said by it's rather vocal announcer that soared through the clear blue skies, releasing her excited bounty of danmaku and cheerings across the lands. A land once paralyzed by the frozen embrace of winter, had finally given way to that of mother nature's wake up call. The air still held a chilling reminder that the spring heat has yet to fully arrive, but it was clear by the sweet aroma of blooming plant life that the season of new beginnings was just getting warmed up. However, while the plant life maybe experiencing a time of rebirth, there were still many things that remained a constant in the land of Gensokyo, and one of those was the duties as a gatekeeper to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. It was a job as tireless as it was uneventful, watching...waiting...looking for someone who dared to tread upon the lands where the vampire, Remilia Scarlet, called home. The pay is nothing on a financial level but, the job itself rewards greatly in character; knowing that you are what stands in between the enemy and those you consider close to you. Who goes, who stays, who gets kicked in the hamparts for being a jerk, is all up to you and you alone. Twas the motivation of Hong Meiling, the youkai who stonewalls the gates to the vampire's mansion from intruders great and small. Handpicked by Remilia ages upon ages ago to take on the task of guarding her mansion, it has sense 

Of course, this didn't mean that the job itself wasn't any less boring than it was in previous days long past. To make matters worse, the sun had risen to the highest point in the sky, giving rise to the fact that it was high noon...a time where Meiling sneaks in her afternoon nap to help recharge the energy lost from just standing around...looking forward and around for threats. The gatekeeper yawned loudly, casting her tired eyes to the sky above to see the display of Lily White's danmaku barrage, the colorful burst of magical bullets doing at least some good in keeping the persistant sandman at bay. However, Lily White's loud, energetic (and somewhat obnoxious) voice was needed to complete the set...without that, even her  bursts of danmaku weren't enough to scath off boredom completely...

A gaze to her left revealed the bundled articles of the Bunbunmaru Newspaper that lay in a wooden chair, the bundle of papers was dropped off by Aya in the early morning and hasn't been touched ever since then. Meiling herself hadn't really bothered to read much of it lately, as most of the stories had rather...lacking credibility, but occasionally, there would prove to be something worth reading...it was just...it felt as if you had to wait for something like that to actually happen rather than flip to a certain section like in normal newspapers. At this point, however, Meiling was willing to try anything to stay awake; questionable stories in the paper be damned, anything beats a scolding from Sakuya. With a light shrug the gatekeeper took her seat in the chair, and pulled open the paper just in time to see a group of fairies off from the gate. "Eh, where are you all heading off to?" she questioned to the giggling fairies who paused midflight to address Meiling's curious inquiry.

"To the village, there's an event going on that we heard about from one of the others. It sounded like fun so...we thought we'd check it out~" The largest fairy replied. Meiling knew this fairy and her little cohorts, they were one of the newest to be added into the legion of fairy maids that worked tirelessly in the immense mansion that stood behind her.

There was only one thing off about this and Meiling knew exactly what that 'thing' was, "Does Sakuya know you're leaving the mansion?" The fairies paused, their excited clamor dieing in the spring breeze as they stared at the gatekeeper who did nothing but stare right back. These newbies were all the same...they believed that if they had finished their chores in the mansion they could leave when they pleased. While in theory this was true, but when you work under Sakuya, there are no breaks when you're on the job. As a maid of the Scarlet Devil, you work everytime, all the time, to earn your keep within her mansion. Sakuya usually made it so that slackers don't get dinner in compensation for their lack of work. "Right...you guys go on ahead then." But, Meiling was no Sakuya...

"Y-you mean you won't tell Sakuya-senpai." Another fairy spoke up, a little surprised that one of the high ranking members of the mansion (so to speak), was actually letting them get away with some Sakuya would never let happen.

"Don't see why I should, but...try not to make a habit of it, okay? It's girls like you all that end up getting put out for not working." The gatekeeper told the fairies, letting them know that while she was a little less strict that Sakuya, their actions remained on their own heads if they were to get caught. Even so, the fairies seemed very grateful for Meiling's approval to let them go and thanked her prefusely as they headed away from the mansion's gates. Unfortunately, their many thanks to the Meiling was not enough to satisfy one part of chinese guard, "O-oh, before you go, can you bring me back some chinese food?"

"We would if we could but..." The larger fairy began, before she and her smaller companions flew off in the distance shouting back, "We don't get paid."

"...Right, I forgot..." Indeed, fairies don't really recieve much of a salary for their efforts in the mansion. Every chore done works in favor of any servent pulling their own weight around the house and thus giving them at least a privalage to say they have a roof over their head and 3 square meals a day. In truth, that's payment enough over being homeless but...given how most youkai tend to be just this...well, one could say that it depended on the youkai or person. As the fairies flew off into the wild blue yonder, their distant forms immedieatly darting about in a panic when they got close to Lily White's danmakurrhea, Meiling went to reading the paper like she intended. After skimming across various things that, for the most part, didn't seem interesting, Meiling's eyes finally managed to catch glimpse of something; below an article that spoke of an alarming decrease in sardines there was yet another that told of the annual event that many of the village would be familiar with; The Spring Festival. "Huh, the spring festival's coming up...must have slipped my mind." The gatekeeper shrugged, finding the event itself something she herself couldn't easily attend unless Remilia wished to go.

Of course, did this mean that it ruled out Meiling's urge to go? Not in the slightest. However, with the festival being held in the village there wasn't much chance that her mistress would really want to attend...

Wait...

"Hold on, the festival's in the village?" Meiling thought, taking another look at the article to find that it was indeed being held in the location of interest. On the first friday in April as a matter of fact. Was that what the fairy maids were going to look into, the festivel that was coming up? Twas a burning question that would soon be doused by a cacophony of frightened screams. A little startled by the noise, Meiling jerked her head from the valley of the newspaper's opening to see the same fairy maids that left were coming right back from wence they had came, the expression plastered on their faces matching the tone at which they screamed. "Haha, I guess you all got caught in Lily White's welcoming, huh?" Meiling chuckled, unaware that this was caused by something...less cheerful than Lily White...

The frightened maids didn't even bother to give any response back to the guard, the lot of them flying right over the closed gates to the mansion, before landing on the other side and dashing to the front doors. Meiling blinked for several seconds, her head turning to gaze past the bars of the gate just in time to catch glimpse of the door slamming in front of her. "What could have gotten them so spooked...?" Meiling queried to herself, the fact that the fairies didn't even wait for her to open the gate proving to be to tell the guard that, whatever scared them, wasn't something like getting shot down by Lily White. In fact, the source of the maid's terror was rather close to Meiling, the gatekeeper's reflexes provoking her to turn her head back to the path ahead and sure enough, there stood a group of...cats, 3 of them humanoid while the others were all in the shape of the average housecat. As odd as this gathering was, there was only one thing that Meiling needed to know about them, "Alright, who are you lot?" The gatekeeper paused for a moment as she realized the timing of their arrival and the maid freakout a moment ago. "Were you the ones who scared off those maids just now?"

"Nyan Nyan, correctamundo~" The cat girl in front chuckled,  wrapping herself in a black blanket that she seemed to wear as a makeshift cape of sorts. It would seem this girl was the leader of the bunch, but since Meiling didn't know her all that well, so the cat girl's intentions remained a mystery. More importantly though, who in the world says 'correctamundo' anymore...? "I'm Mayumi, the leader of the feared Tsumineko-dan and we've come to ransack this mansion!"

The word, 'ransack' was more than enough to tell Meiling that this party was trouble...although what seemed to downplay the threat they imposed was the fact that they all looked to be no older than 12 and second, it was broad daylight. Even though it was close to naptime...the fact that the one's threatening to rob the mansion were 12 year olds had Meiling convinced that she could finish this by merely turning the tables and spooking them. "...Are you serious?" The gatekeeper furrowed an eyebrow.

"Yes, very." The lead kitten quipped, hands on her hips as she gave Meiling a confident smirk. "We intentionally scared off those maids so they could lead us right to this here mansion. Now step aside, we got treasure to loot~!"

"Well, that's all well and good but...I can't let you pass." Meiling told the cat girl, walking in front of the gate and proving her point well with her own body.

"Why not!" The caped cat girl wasn't getting it...

"I'm the gatekeeper, it's...kinda my job."

The cat(s) didn't seem to understand the logic Meiling was using on them, as they all stared at the gatekeeper with little to no response. However, soon enough, "...W-wait, you mean-!?" The leader seemed to figure out just what all this meant, and what it all meant to her plans of getting into the Scarlet Devil Mansion. The supposed plan she had for attacking the mansion...had overlooked one huge factor; Meiling. "Crap!" At the realization of this, the cat turned to her group and threw her hand toward Meiling. "Sun-Sun get her, bring her down!" At the command of the blanket wearing leader, the second cat girl launched herself from the crowd armed with...a stick. Meiling readied herself as the froggy feline came at her with her weapon, bringing on hand forward. Then, a second before the kitten could even get a swing in...

SMACK

THUD

She was on the ground, face down and bottom up, the stick she held like a deadly weapon still clenched in her hands. Meiling had smacked her right in the back of the head, the blunt force of her hand being just strong enough to force a full body shut down and send her 3 second opponent into a state of unconciousness. "Don't worry, I just knocked her out. She should be fine when she wakes up...well, save for a little headache and maybe some short term memory loss, but I doubt that..." Meiling said, the group ahead of her staring in shock at how fast one of their, apparent, high ranking members got taken out so swiftly. "Now, the lot of you go home or I'll do the same to rest of you. I don't want to fight you, but I don't have to if you stay away from the gate and leave." By this point, the gang...wasn't exactly sure of it self anymore and was beginning to back down...but, not their leader who merely took this loss as a huge insult to her pride.

"S-Screw you, we're getting past you and your big boobs!" The frustrated kitten called out, looking to her right and throwing her hand to Meiling as an order to initiate another attack. "Toraichi, front and center!" At her command, another opponent stepped forward to face the obstacle of the cat gang, this one male...and this one being miles different from 'Sun-Sun'. Unlike his partner before, this red-headed ruffian held a much more formiddible aura to him, the sharpened nails on his hands and feet primed ready to slice, and the tiger like ears and tail he sported being only add ons to the fighting potential he might house. Indeed, if Meiling could say one thing about this boy, it's that he was a tiger youkai, similar to the one who associates herself with the Myouren Temple and it's affairs near the village. Even so, the one who commanded this tiger cub seemed to have a good understanding of how strong he was and why she was saving him for last.

"Nyan Nyan, I bet you're scared now, Toraichi's the strongest of our group...well second only to me of course," Let's not let misplaced self-importance cloud our judgement...any farther. "But enough chit chat! Toraichi, take her down!"

"...Do...do I have to?" Toraichi spoke up, his voice not doing his appearance any justice. If Meiling could attribute it with one thing, it's that of uncertainty. Maybe that attack on Sun-Sun knocked some sense into one of them after all...

"Yes, you have to or I'll take YOU down!" The leader chided, shoving the tiger further into the fray and stabbing her finger toward Meiling. "Now go in there and bust a cap in her butt!"

Toraichi hesitated for just a moment, before he seemed to throw caution to the wind and rushed forward toward the unmoving Meiling. Sun-Sun's defeat may have done little in telling his boss on just how fast Meiling could take him down, but he himself was compelled to fight by just her orders...not common sense. Even so, repeated history or not, Meiling set forth to defend herself and went to reverse Toraichi's attack and hopefully convince the cats to turn back...

The only problem here being that, instead of swinging at the first chance he got, Toraichi ducked and rolled from Meiling's front and into her blind spot, a spot the gate guard was readily expecting him, or any of his fellow cats, to exploit. Without  a moment's hesitation, Toraichi threw his fist forward only to have the attack blocked, "He tried to fake me out and went for my side...this kid's not like the other one..." Meiling observed, her eyes narrowing as she cancelled her guard and grappled the tiger by his arms. The moment they touched palms was the moment the struggle for power began. Although, taller  than the cub, Meiling wasn't oblivious to the might of her opponent as he tried to gain the upper hand in the grapple and win a free reversal for his efforts. "He's strong too..." This couldn't be mistaken as 'retard strength', this was something natural in himself...something this cub was born with, what those before him were born with. Indeed, he held within him the power and strength of one of the most powerful beasts in the wild. Even so, "...but he's not strong enough." Meiling whirled around, taking Toraichi with her, and slung him onto his back the impact he took surprising him just as much as it did his peers.

The time he was on his back however was shortlived, and before Meiling could return upright, Toraichi was on all fours and pounced toward her like the cat he was. On reflex, Meiling threw a straight jab right into his face, the punch landing perfectly in between his eyes. With the pouncing attack failed Toraichi's body flew backward and, once again, landed square on his back just like he had before. "Ah, you almost got me there, I have to say you're-" Meiling paused, her ears picking up the sound of, what she believed to be...sniffling. The gatekeeper blinked with confusion before she discovered the source was none other than Toraich himself. Meiling approached the downed tiger, concerned on what he was sniffiling about. "Hey, what's the matter? Are you okay?"

"O-Oww..." He sobbed, looking to the gatekeeper with eyes that told of how hurt he really was. That is, if the tears that came from his eyes weren't proof enough. "You...you hurt my nose..."

"I...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" As soon as Meiling to another step toward him, Toraichi bolted up and made a beeline for the exit, bawling his head off the entire way. "W-wait! Geeze..." With the tiger gone from sight, and the battle between them pretty much over by default, Meiling gazed at the gang of cats who stared at her before their leader spoke up, attempting to explain what the hell just happened and why...

"Uhm yeah...that happens alot, Toraichi's...sort of a crybaby..."

Meiling sighed, her hand meeting her forehead. "The the rest of you better follow him, I don't want to hurt any more of you."

"Are you retarded, we came to-!" Those words were cut short by the sound of Meiling firing off a flurry of rainbow colored bullets at the ground.

"I said, go home! Scat cat!" Meiling shouted, her assault intentionally missing her target but doing well to spook the kittens and force them into a hasty retreat away from the mansion, the gatekeeper didn't let up in her barrage until the yowling of the kittens could no longer reach her ears. As the sound of kittens screaming disappated into the ambience of nature, Meiling let her hands rest at her sides as she turned back for the chair and plopped down onto it's seat. As Meiling gazed into the clear sky, there came the realization that she still had company...mostly in the form of the unconcious Sun-Sun whom the kittens forgot to take with them.

"Oh shoot!" Meiling chided, picking up the TKO'd catgirl and running after the kittens who ditched her in their retreat. "Come back, you forgot someone!"

----

As the day came to pass, naturally giving rise to the next, Meiling found herself at her post once again like all days before. The air wasn't as warm as it was yesterday and the weather looked rather unpredictable...but, climate changes or not, Meiling was to remain here as she did countless times in the past. Besides, there was an umbrella incased it rained...maybe. Even so, the weather itself did little to lift the spirits of the gatekeeper, her memory of yesterday's incident still fresh in her mind. She had hoped that a good night's sleep would rid her of the accident but...it remained where it was, stubborn to leave her and eager to dampen her mood on what she had done. She was sorry for injuring him, yes, but...she would have wanted to say that she was sorry straight to him...

"Meiling!" Of course, like yesterday, the uneventful atmosphere was shattered yet again by a loud voice, this one seeming to reflect something other than fear. Looking up from her straightforward stare, Meiling came to see Cirno and Daiyousei flying down to her position, most likely coming to goof off with her like they normally did on certain days.

"Oh Cirno, Daiyousei," Said the gatekeeper, as the two fairies trotted over to where she stood, Cirno seeming to retain a childish excitement about something.

"Meiling! Meiling!" Cirno exclaimed, running up to the gatekeeper with as much speed she had when she was airborne. "Teach us how to do that move you do!"

"Uhm..." It would appear that just asking to do something wasn't enough, after all, Meiling herself held many different moves. Which one Cirno wanted...well,  she was a bit vauge on details. "You're going to have to be a little more specific, Cirno..."

"You know the one where you go..." Cirno paused turning on her heels and throwing her fist in the air, producing a makeshift explosion sound with her mouth. "That one!"

Of course, where Cirno fell short on noticing detail, Daiyousei made up for it with her own intuition. Such a thing telling her that something wasn't quite right about the Meiling they once knew. Although still a child by youkai standards, Daiyousei was, by far, a few rods more sensible than her ice manipulating friend. "Cirno, maybe we should hold off for a second..." The fairy advised to her friend, who looked a bit confused about her suggestion. "Meiling doesn't look to be having a good day today..."

"Eh, what do you mean?" Cirno said her head titling to one side in a gesture of perplexion. The ice fairy didn't remain like this for very long before she turned her attention to Meiling herself to gain some answers on what exactly was ailing her. Cirno maybe a little dim, but she was never one to ignore someone's anguish. So long as it made itself known to her anyway. "What's the matter, Meiling?"

"Uhm, well...I sorta, punched a kid in the nose yesterday..." Meiling replied hesitantly, the fairies ahead of her giving her a somewhat disappointed look. They've known Meiling for quite a while, so they wouldn't think of her to punch children unless she had a very good reason for it. Naturally, Meiling set to explain herself before the fairies (most likely, Cirno) could jump to any ill informed conclusions. "Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to hurt him. It was just...he was in this gang and his boss made him attack me so, I fought back. About halfway through the fight, he came at me and I punched him in the face by reflex...I think I broke his nose..."

"Did you tell him you were sorry?" Daiyousei asked, "You should always say that you're sorry to someone when you hurt them, even if you didn't mean to." Which was elementary, when one sat down to think about it...

"I tried to but...he ran away before I could even say anything..." The gatekeeper let out a deep sigh, her body dropping into the seat of the chair. "I feel bad for breaking his nose and I want to apologize to'em for that, but...you guys know about my job..." Indeed they did, while not entirely getting the big picture of why she guarded the mansion, they knew that Meiling wasn't one to ditch her post...

"If you want we can go get him for you." Daiyousei offered to Meiling. "You mind telling us who he is...if you know his name, anyway."

Ah, a wonderful idea. That way, Meiling could remain here while the fairies sought out Toraichi, it was a win/win situation but, it depended on if they knew who Meiling wished to see again. "Uhm, his name's...Toraichi, I think." Meiling recalled, having remembered the name from the incident yesterday.

"Hmm, Toraichi..." Cirno echoed, her finger on her lip as she appeared to be shuffling through the cast of names she's heard of. Soon enough, "Oh, I know him! He's that crybaby tiger that always runs away when you try to play 'Danmaku' with him!"

"Cirno, that's not nice!" scolded Daiyousei, a frown on her face as she witnessed Cirno had burst into a bit of a giggling fit after remember who Toraichi was. "Toraichi's not a crybaby...he's just really sensative..."

"But that means your a crybaby though~!" Yeah...Cirno wasn't letting things off easy.

"Oh hush, you cry sometimes too!" Daiyousei chided, preping her self to strike where it hurt most for Cirno. Her pride. "Like that time you scraped your knee when we were playing hide and seek with those three fairies!" A quick glance downward to Cirno's left knee revealed a lasting testament to this very injury...which came in the form of a colorful bandaid, adorned with stars, curtosy of Marisa.

"I wasn't crying...dirt got in my eye!" Cirno protested, stubbornly trying to cover the fact that she cries too. In her book, those considered of higher power, do not cry...even when they scrape their knees and get boo-boos. "What about you, Dai-chan, you cried when that human put a worm down your dress!"

"That...that's different!" went Daiyousei, apparently finding her moment of tears to be slightly different than Cirno's. In a way, it really was given how Cirno's was more out of pain than hers was out of having something 'icky' crawl around in her underwear.  "Worms are icky and gross, he shouldn't have put it down my dress!"

Even so, Cirno only saw this as one thing from Daiyousei, "Dai-chan's a cry baby~! Dai-chan's a crybaby~!"

"Alright you two..." Meiling finally spoke up, placing herself in between the fairies before a brawl broke out between them. Cirno and Daiyousei scraps were fairly uncommon given how they seemed to be such close friends but, it was disagreements like these that usually overrode how close friends they were and easily turned them against one another. Of course, being the kids that they were, the both of them were quick to resolve as soon as they forgot why they were fighting...or if a certain gatekeeper acted as referre to their fights and broke them up. Like now. "Can we focus on the task at hand first?"

"Oh sure, he shouldn't be hard to find." Cirno said, turning to the lake she and Daiyousei crossed to get her. "We usually see him hanging out near Mayohiga, when he's not with that gang of his anyway. If he's with them, there's no telling where he is..."

"Hm, that's another thing," Meiling spoke up, remembering the fact that the tiger was indeed affiliated with a larger group of cats. "Any of you know why he's with them? Last I checked he didn't really seem to like tagging along with them..."

"I'unno." Cirno shrugged, turning to Daiyousei who seemed to be just as knowledgable as her on the question.

"Hm, I see...well, if you can bring'em here, I'd be really grateful." That was somewhat stretching it but, she would still appreciate the gesture never the less. Cirno nodded, a confident smile on her youthful face as she lifts off the ground and flies off with Daiyousei following close behind. As the fairies flew farther and farther away from the gate Meiling could only wonder about one thing, "I wonder if they'll really bring back the right guy...?" Not that she didn't trust their judgement...given the one who was leading the charge, it was only natural that she questioned whether Cirno would be dependable enough to bring Toraichi to her.

Well...there was only one way to be certain and that would depend on time...

---

Just as Meiling relied on time to give her an answer to on if she could depend on Cirno to bring the tiger to her, time itself passed by without any concern for the gate guard and her questions. Soon enough, the sun was far off into the sky, the shade surrounding the gate of mansion growing larger as it paid indication to the setting sun and how late it was getting. Knowing just what time it was just by looking at her surroundings, Meiling let out a dejected sigh as she began to lose hope on what she had entrusted Cirno to a moment ago.

"Meiling!" Just as she was about to call it quits, the gatekeeper glanced up to see Cirno and Daiyousei returning to the mansion gates, although...with no sight of Toraichi tagging along like she had hoped.

"Oh, you couldn't find him?" Meiling asked to the fairies as they landed a little ways ahead of her, Cirno being the first to pick up on her half hearted question.

"Huh, oh..uhm, no he's coming." The ice fairy answered, turning back to the lack and pointing to a distinct ripple that seemed to be located around the shores of island of which the Scarlet Devil Mansion was located. Before long, the same tiger cub from yesterday could finally be seen approaching the gate, albeit in a very cautious manner. Although, just by looking at the water and Toraichi's soaked clothing, Meiling was able to deduce on what he had done as an alternative to reach the mansion...but, Cirno seemed to want to state the obvious anyhow, regardless of if Meiling was aware of it or not. "Toraichi doesn't like flying so...he swam here."

"Ah, I see...well, that works too, I guess." Meiling shrugged, before she knelt down to the tiger who flinched from her very precense and took a few steps away from her. The general reaction itself was nothing that surprised Meiling, given his nature and what she did to him the other day. Nevertheless, the gatekeeper pressed on with her task, "Anyways, hey Toraichi, how ya been? Everything going okay? Looks like that broken nose healed up pretty quick, huh?" The tiger nodded slowly but didn't give Meiling a verbal answer.

"Listen...I know I hurt you the other day and I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry about what happened yesterday. I didn't really mean to do it, it just happened by reflex..." Meiling told to the tiger cub, "I can't give you much but, I'm willing to give you something for yesterday...just so there's no hard feelings between us." Which was as nice a gesture Meiling could manage at this point. She couldn't give him much as she herself didn't have much of anything to give, but if it meant showing Toraichi that she was a good person, then so be it.

The tiger cub took a moment to think on these words, his silence remaining strong as he thought on what he might want. Soon enough, he gave Meiling his answer, "Well...could you...be my friend...?" He finally said to her, fidgeting with his striped tail as he glanced elsewhere. "I don't really have many friends...and...you seem really nice..." Normally, this wouldn't strike Meiling as odd...but since she had already witnessed Toraichi helping out gang of cats well...it sorta made his last statement a bit off...

"Eh? What about those kitties you were with the other day?" The gatekeeper asked, recalling how he seemed to listen to the leader of the bunch without much hesitation. Despite his overall cowardice. "Aren't they your friends?"

"Nuh-uh..." Toraichi replied, "...Well...I dunno, they don't really feel like friends...Leader only likes me because I beat up strong youkai for her..."

"Then why do you follow them if you don't see them as friends?" Meiling queried to the cub, "Is she forcing you to do it?" The tiger didn't answer her, and only seemed to sink back into the silence he came to her with before. "Toraichi, you don't have to listen to her if you don't want to. Someone who bullies you into doing something isn't someone you should be following around, especially if they're getting into trouble."

"If I don't, she'll yell at me..." Toraichi repeated, his voice replaying the very reason why he follows the Tsumineko-dan around and why he listens to the leader.

"Then you punch her in the nose." The gate guard suggested firmly, her words evoking a surprised gasp from the tiger who stared at her with a look that spoke volumes on how shocked he was by this. It wouldn't be farfetched to think that this was the very last thing on his mind, given his overall reaction. "You're your own tiger, Toraichi. I fought you myself, so I know you're strong enough to make your own path. You don't have to follow anyone elses just because they say so."

"But...but..."

"Listen, if anything goes wrong between you and them...then you come to me and I'll handle it." Meiling offered, giving the tiger yet another reason to lay his trust on her. At least, in case things go south for him. "If you want me to be you're friend then I'm willing to start by helping you out of this."

"See Toraichi, Meiling's good people!" Cirno quipped in, implying that Toraichi's opinion on her may not have been very favorable upon the two fairies finding him. "She helped me and Daiyousei when a youkai was bullying us that one time!"

"Yeah, let her help you Toraichi. Everything will be fine." Daiyousei agreed, setting forth to make yet another offer to him she was sure he would like. "We'll even be your friends and help out too, if you want."

"Wha? I don't wanna be friends with that crybaby-Ow!" Cirno would have finished had it not been for Daiyousei jabbing her in the rib. Fortunately, Toraichi didn't seem to hear as he looked to be in thought on what he wished to do...

"Well, what do you say?" Meiling asked, Toraichi glancing off at his side as he continued to fidget with his tail. Meiling was laying ready to remind him that she, Cirno and Daiyousei were all willing to become his friends and help but, she figured that point was already made a while ago.

"O-okay, I'll...I'll try." Toraichi eventually answered, dropping his tail and looking Meiling in the eye for the first time since he was brought to her. "Thank you...you're...you're really nice."

"Hmhm, no problem." Meiling chuckled, taking her hand and ruffling the cub's red hair. Meiling took a moment to gaze at the sky and noticed that the orange hue of the setting sun had spread far quicker than she had first imagined. Soon enough, it would be night time and the scarlet devil that resided in the mansion behind her would be up and about. "Now you all get going, it's almost night time and that's when the mansion behind me 'wakes up'."

"Alright, later Meiling!" Cirno waved as she and Daiyousei took to the air, gesturing Toraichi to follow. "C'mon Tora-chan, let's go!"

"A-alright, coming!" Toraichi called back running after the fairies as he set to take a plunge back into the lake as the fairies took to the air. However, before he left Meiling's field of vision he stopped half way down the path and turned back to the gatekeeper who looked to him with concern on what he might need. "Mei...Meiling...?" Toraichi began, having difficulty with what he wanted to say before a strong swallow managed to clear the way for his declaration. "One day, I want to be as strong as you."

"I'm sure you will be some day."

---

Even so, despite how well the meeting with Toraichi had went and how Meiling, Daiyousei and Cirno had offered him the friendship he had wanted, the days passed on without a single word or sight of the tiger cub. Cirno and Daiyousei returned to the side of Meiling...but not Toraichi, the cub's whereabouts unknown even to them. With it only having been several days that have passed her by, Meiling merely shrugged at time's unstoppable march and told herself that everything was okay. Toraichi seemed like the type to take a while to make a move, especially one that was as big as splintering off from a gang someone bullied you into and for a time...that seemed to be the reasonable cause...

And then, the days passing by transformed to a single month that passed, the time when spring got over it's shyness of the cold and now showed itself to nature full force. Lily White's uproarous callings had ceased with the end of the month, but the worry within Meiling's mind remained as strong and loud as ever. The gatekeeper had went about her days as she normally did, her concern for Toraichi seeming to weight far less than her duty as a guard to the mansion and, like all days, she found herself standing by the red walls of the mansion staring off at the path ahead looking not only for strangers...but Toraichi as well. "Maybe he managed to get away from that gang." Meiling thought aloud, a sigh escaping her lips as she realized that the tiger would have came to her with the news of what had happened.

Almost as if on cue, Meiling's ears picked up the sound of someone running toward her position, hotwired for any sort of odd sound, Meiling stiffed her form ready to meet whomever was charging to her... "Toraichi!?" However, she was not ready for the sight of someone she hasn't seen in over a half of a month. As happy as she was to see the tiger again, his outward appearance was something that generally overrode the happiness Meiling would have felt; Toraichi's clothing was torn, and ripped, scratch marks and dirty covering his skin giving rise to the fleeting suspicion that he was in a fight. "Toraichi what happened, you look like you just got out of a fight." Meiling asked to Toraichi who slowly walked to Meiling, his expression far more spooked than anything Meiling had seen of him before.

"I...I did what you said..." The tiger panted, his voice shaking with immense terror. "I...leader...hit her...I..." It didn't even take long before he collapsed into unintelligable gibberish, losing himself in a maelstrom of fear that refused to let him go. A maelstrom Meiling felt she could dispel from him...

"Calm down and talk to me." Meiling said softly to the tiger, taking his shoulders within his hands as she looked him dead in the eye. "What happened, what did you do?"

"I hit leader." Toraichi repeated, taking only a moment to remember how it all started. "I...I was trying to ask Chen if she wanted to go to the festivel with me today. I wanted to give her a present but didn't know what to give her so...I took a toy leader stole and gave it to Chen, but I didn't know it was leader's favorite toy and..." It didn't take a genius to figure out what happened next...

"She got mad and came after you."

Toraichi nodded, "Leader tried to bully Chen into giving her the toy back but...I...I hated seeing Chen bullied, so..."

"You hit the boss in the nose..." Meiling finished, "Just like I said..." Indeed, even though it took him a month to do anything and even if it wasn't in the same context on how they agreed to handle the problem, at least Meiling knew that he did it in protect someone else. The gatekeeper pulled herself up, her intuition telling her of what was to happen now that Toraichi was here. Just like in any gang, he had crossed the boss...and now he was on the chopping block to being cut from the team...and from the looks of it, in less than pleasent ways. Having given her friendship to Toraichi, there was one thing Meiling was willing to do now that she knew what was going to happen...

And she would not have to wait long, as the very one who was behind this ordeal made her way up to the gates of the mansion, carrying with her that same gang but a very different expression, one that was far more livid than it was filled with a misplaced arrogance. "So, this is where you've been hiding." Mayumi sneered, watching the one who hit her in the nose cower behind Meiling. "Outta the way balloon boobs! I gotta bone to pick with that scaredy cat, Toraichi."

"You've picked enough bones." Meiling said, remaining in front of the tiger, protecting him as she did with the mansion behind them. "Leave Toraichi alone and get out of here."

"No, he's gonna pay for giving away my favorite toy to some skank! No one touches my stuff!" Mayumi shouted, clearly not set to back down just because of Meiling's words...however serious they may have been to her. Not even bothering to summon Sun-Sun to her side like before, Mayumi called forth the endless wells of her anger toward Toraichi and utilized it to throw herself forward, claws drawn and ready to cut through the one guarding the source of her malevolence. She would have succeeded had it not been for the red haired barrier between her and Toraichi, the arm of Meiling slamming into Mayumi's chest as she glared to her glowering aqua eyes...

"I said...leave him alone." Meiling muttered to the kitten, swiftly placing her onto Mayumi's chest a rainbow like glow emanating from her arm and pulsing around her hand. As Mayumi looked to the enigmatic aura with horror she found herself being blown off her feet in a spectacular explosion of qi, her body careening back right into the crowd of kitties she came to the mansion with. The kittens yowled out to their leader who lay atop them, motionless for a good three or so minutes before she slowly arose once more and hand on her chest as she processed just how powerful that one simple attack from Meiling truly was. It was this that managed to help shed light on a grim factor that she had overlooked since she had met Meiling a month ago.

"You...you were holding back...that day..."

"But not anymore." Meiling warned to the kitten, the aura that sent her flying now returning to it's owner...only now enveloping her entire body in it's colorful brilliance. What would have came off as a splendid radiance...was an ominous warning to the one gazing upon it from a far. "Now you take your gang and leave these grounds at once. I'm not going to repeat myself." Meiling's voice thundered across the path and struck Mayumi right in the very spot Meiling had touched before, the kitten gasping deeply from the shock that jolted through her entire body as she scooted back to get away from the one who threatened her. The same gatekeeper she tried to sell short that day...was showing her true colors now...and it was those colors that had Mayumi ready to urinate all over herself. "Leave!" boomed Meiling, her energies flaring up in a burst of rainbow qi that burst from her form like a radiant wildfire, the display doing well in driving her point home and causing many of the cats to flee the scene at the first sight of her display.

Mayumi merely sat ahead of Meiling trembling before she caved to the newfound fear for Meiling and ran off behind her gang...but not before flipping the gatekeeper the bird as a final present for making her look bad in front of everyone else...

As the atmosphere slowly returned to it's calm state, the aura Meiling held disapated and she turned to the tiger that still stood behind her, cluthing the hem of her green chinese dress having never let go since he came. "They're gone, Toraichi." Meiling said to the tiger who opened his eyes and peered from behind her leg to see that she was indeed correct. There was not a single cat to be seen...

"Th-thank you..." Toraichi whispered, wrapping his arms around Meiling's waist. Just as she and the two fairies had said a month ago...Meiling had helped get him away from the person he couldn't get away from on his own. "I only wish I was brave enough to help you..."

"You were brave enough as is, you stick up for Chen, didn't you?" Meiling said to the tiger who seemed to remember his actions earlier on and looked away with a bashful blush. Of course, with the name 'Chen' there came the rememberance of what needed to be done with her...

"Ah, I have to go. I promised Chen I would meet her at the village gates." Toraichi pulled himself away from Meiling and rushed down the path before the incoming call of the gatekeeper halted him in his tracks. Turning on his heels, his face was met with a green vest that Meiling had threw toward him. Toraichi peeled the garment off his face and unfolded it, revealing it to be not just any green vest...but the one Meiling was wearing. Toraichi wasn't sure if he was fortunate that Meiling was wear a shirt underneath or not but what seemed to gain most of his curiosity was why she would give him...

"You can't go to the festival looking like that can you~?" Meiling mused to the tiger, doing well to shed light on why she had gave him her vest; as a replacement for his own tathered clothing. Toraichi looked to the vest and then back up to Meiling a joyful smile shining on his face, hardly able to believe that she was really giving him the very vest off her back. "Now, get going, it's bad practice to keep a woman waiting for you."

---

Days turned to months...months turned to years...years turned to centuries...

Like always, time remained at constant motion, an ever flowing river that refuses to stop nor change course for anyone or anything...

Like always, Meiling remained where she stood at the mansion watching for strangers and the many things that would come near these gates to the aging mansion. As she watched from her post at the gate...she laid witness to the growth of her friend, Toraichi. Indeed, in the many years that have passed, she had watched as he became a young man, she had watched as he came to her with nervousness on how to handle a marriage proposal to the one he had taken to the spring festival all those years ago, and she had watched as he came to her with joyous news of his coming children by the union with his beloved, soon coming to bring these very children to her to show them what a wonderful friend he had made right at these gates to the mansion of the devil...

And just as time had remained a constant, so had the green vest that Meiling had given Toraich when he was just a cub. The ever present vest that he had worn during his youth and would come to pass down to his oldest daughter, had become a symbol of their timeless friendship and a remainder that even though so much had changed in the years since they had met...their relationship would remain forever more...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:57:22 AM by DRUG FREAKOUT »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #521 on: February 28, 2011, 01:26:04 AM »
Oh, cool, you wrote that story that you said you would. Awesome.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #522 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:49 AM »
Time to remind people why this forum exists.

"I have but one last lesson left to teach you," says Sakuya, putting her pupil's gift aside.
Youmu grins as the maid slumps to the ground. "No, I figured out how to poison things on my own,"

There you go, first and best Th13 fan fiction. You're welcome.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:12:38 AM by Purvissimo »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #523 on: February 28, 2011, 04:42:42 AM »
And now with Purvis' show-stealer of an entry, we are done accepting stories and are moving on to the judging phase. Please wait and enjoy the peanut-butter cookies. If you're allergic to peanuts, good, more cookies for me. Bugger off.

COMMENCE OPERATIONS JUDGING

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #524 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
COMMENCE OPERATIONS JUDGING
>Red  :wat:

Esi, don't tell me you forgot what our color is.

COMMENCE JUDGEMENT

There :V

Now with the votes from our judges, the winner of this week is.... IcedFairy
Albeit a narrow win, with several runner-ups this time. Erebus was nominated first place by one judge, and another had three favourites:

Iced had a decent premise, but I don't think it was well enough done. The Western wedding thing was sort of awkward, I'm still asking 'do fairy babies REALLY come from the stork or is Aya bullshitting again?' and in general it feels sort of like there was a lot of potential that was brushed over (a better look at the Aya/Hatate relationship, for example). I was honestly ready for the tengu attempt at oni dating to be the best part of the story, but then it just...ended.

Sect had a nice premise, but the problem is that once again it's underdeveloped. There isn't enough foreshadowing to it, and for the most part it's 'Marisa goes to place X, gets object Y'. Drawing on the FREAKING MOON was awesome, I'll admit, but given that she never properly gets a meeting with the girl she's looking for it feels a little unfinished - I know that was the point, but IMO it doesn't quite work.

Ryuu's is the most solid story in terms of being a story, but it's only tangentially related to both Valentine's AND romance. It also pretty much runs on knowledge of GitC. Still, it's probably my favourite of the three stories, so that's what I'd nominate.

Congratulations Iced, and well done to all the other contestants.

Now without further delay, the next theme.

Esi, go ahead~

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »

She's gone. Somewhere, out there, she's found a place to call her own.
Unfortunately for me, that place isn't by my side. Not anymore.
She said the job consumed me, that I was obsessed.
She was right. But as long as there're innocent people being hurt in the bloody, senseless, and most of all, pointless turf wars, my work will never be done.

Touhou: Noir

Do you want it to be in Gensokyo, or the outside world? That's on you - but I wanna see fedoras, trenchcoats, silky black dresses, and of course, lots of cigar smoke. If you can't pull that off in a literary fashion, then maybe some danmaku-tommy guns and detective work is more up your alley! But of course, the important thing, is that you have fun.

Deadline is March 6th!
However, as usual, there may be a Standard-Issue Librarian Deadline Extension later on, so if necessary, you may have additional time. But you shouldn't come to rely on such a thing, or you could be sweating bullets when it comes crunch-time and you don't have anything available. Do your best!
Have some thematic music. Maybe it'll help you get in the mood.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Touhou Noir
« Reply #526 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »
Ouch, damning with faint praise there.

Oh well I had fun writing it, and I got to troll someone with the wedding.  Everything else is gravy.

Hm...  Noir eh?  Hatate might be returning.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
And here's where challenge come in for me; I've never even thought of this kind of subject before, so this will be both fun and interesting.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #528 on: February 28, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

YESYESYESYESYES

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #529 on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
Congratz Iced  :D

Oooh, this is gonna be hard and fun at the same time.  I'm gonna have to write something serious. 
Spoiler:
And probably watch Big O again, thanks for that  ::)

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #530 on: February 28, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
I can only hope some of the better stories that will be made from this become a series.

Either way, good luck all.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #531 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
I have only the slightest idea how to write this. I barely know what Noir is, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Noir movie, and this is a series where tommyguns are of questionable efficiency compared to the alternatives. Is The Godfather Noir? And what about the Blues Brothers?

I'm somewhere between  ???:D and  :V.

EDIT: Thanks for inspiring my Nue, Esifex.

EDIT: Um, meant to modify, not quote. Sorry.

[ruro]I fix your post[/ruro]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:54:24 AM by Ruwako Moriya »

« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
Hm, yeah. Agree with the assessment of whoever wrote that about me.

So, Noir, huh? Hm... this'll be tough.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2011, 05:04:33 AM »
the examples of music who was exposed like inspiration remind me another thing: Portishead. they have lots of good songs for film noir ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vozNQX6Ye1A  All mine

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

« Reply #534 on: March 02, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »
This is shaping out to be a pretty tough one: I have a couple of tentative ideas, Sin City esque, but not many of 'em are solid enough (or short enough) to work. I think I might've found a winner with cabbie Kogasa, though...

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #535 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
The mansion was quiet that night; the owners were not known to be night birds, but the staff was on alert, regardless.  The peaceful night was interrupted by the sound of breaking glass; the servants rushed to the scene but all they could perceive was the wind and some clicking sounds.

It was less what they saw after the fact than what they didn?t see?

The building wasn?t exactly in the best of shape, but you make do with what you could get; the sign on the door said Aki Sisters: Private Investigators.  Inside, a dart was thrown at a corkboard on the wall, the target: one of any of the pictures of Gensokyo?s most wanted.

The thrower was Minoriko Aki, the younger sister; she missed her target, a photo of the most notorious criminal ?The Witch? Kirisame.  She said, ?Remember when we used to be goddesses?  Whatever happened to those times??

The older sister, Shizuha Aki, sat at her desk with her feet up and her hat over her eyes.  ?People lost faith; this city may believe in magic, but the gods are a different story.  We do what we have to do.?

Minoriko threw another dart, hitting the photo of ?The Mad Inventor? Kawashiro between the eyes.  ?Haven?t had a case in weeks, though.?

Her grumbling seemed to be the answer, as the phone rang in the next instant; while the younger Aki tried to make a grab for it, she tripped on the way, giving the older Aki time to pick it up.  ?Aki Sisters, this is Shizuha?  Yes? Yes ma?am, we?re on our way.?

She hung up the phone; Minoriko picked herself up and asked, ?Who was that??

Shizuha ignored her and said, ?Get ready sis; we?ve got a case.?

Her sister was already out the door; Minoriko rushed after her and shouted, ?Where?re we headed??

Without turning around she said, ?Eientei.?

On the south side of town is a vast estate owned by a local celebrity; some claim she?s the princess of a foreign land, others that she has certain less than legal connections.  Either way, this was the location of the latest crime in Gensokyo.

The sisters had just arrived at the gate and were awaiting entrance.  Minoriko said, ?I wonder what happened here??

Shizuha indicated past the gate towards a figure walking towards them.  ?We?re about to find out.?

The figure turned out to be a girl, tallish, with rabbit ears; she looked a little nervous.  ?Are you the investigators??

Shizuha nodded.  ?We?re the Aki Sisters; are you the owner-?

She threw her hands forward and quickly said, ?No no!  I?m just staff here; let me take you to my owner- I mean, mistress!?  She started walking back towards the mansion.  The sisters looked at each other for a moment before following her in.

The mansion itself was only a moderate size compared to the rest of the estate.  It was a traditional Japanese house, looking many centuries old.  After wandering down a few corridors they were brought to an office looking place where a large chair stood with its back towards the desk.  The chair spun in place to reveal a young looking girl.  She gestured towards the two chairs opposite her and said, ?Please have a seat.?

The sisters obliged and the girl stood up and began talking.  ?Last night something of great importance was stolen from me; I want you to get it back for me.?

With a sideways look to her sister, Minoriko said, ?Why call us?  Why not report it to the police??

The girl narrowed her eyes and replied, ?I have my reasons for not involving the police.?

Shizuha stood up and said, ?We?ll need to talk to whatever staff were on duty last night; will that be a problem??

She shook her head, ?No problem, in fact, they?re waiting in the next room.  I?ve spoken with them already, so I don?t know if you?ll actually learn anything from them.?

The elder sister smiled and bowed.  ?Thank you; c?mon sis, we got some pets to interrogate.?

They found only two people in the next room; the girl that led them into the mansion and a shorter rabbit that was shaking in place.  They approached the taller one first and Shizuha opened up with, ?Alright, tell me what you know; did you see or hear anything out of the ordinary last night??

She shook her head and said, ?I ran into the room as soon as I heard the glass break; once I got there, it was already gone.  I didn?t see anything after I got in there? she was closer when it happened.?

?Thank you.?  Shizuha dismissed this one and turned to the other; Minoriko snapped a photo of the girl as she left.  When that was over, the elder sister smiled at the shaking rabbit and asked, ?So what did you see??

She looked about the room like it was watching her every move and said, ?I- I saw a blur!  It was r-really fast and, and it sounded like the wind!  Then there was clicking sounds, and then it was all over; they were both gone!?  She continued looking about the room nervously.

Shizuha finished writing all of that down; she said, ?Thank you; that will do.?

She started to gesture to have the girl leave when she grabbed her arm and said, ?Do you have any? carrots??

The older Aki shook the arm off and said, ?Scram, kid!?  She yelped and ran off.  Minoriko walked over and Shizuha said, ?Fast as a blur?  I know two people like that??  Her sister reached into her pocket and procured a coin.  ?Heads it?s HER, tails it?s the other??  The coin was flipped and they stepped back a pace; a shining face could be seen staring back at them.

Minoriko nodded to her sister as she picked her coin back up; her sister said, ?Next stop: Bunbunmaru.?

Gensokyo had two newspapers and both of them were run out of Tengu village, a small district in the southwest corner of the city.  It was close enough to the sisters? office that they had frequent run-ins with both of the ?editors? of those periodicals; as usual this was not going to be a pleasant visit.

Despite all of its lies, Bunbunmaru was a successful newspaper, if only for the frequently true stories about local crime bosses that the public otherwise laughs off due to the outrageousness of the other stories.  The sole writer and editor was none other than Aya Shameimaru, quite possibly the fastest person in the whole city, if not the whole country; her only competition being a gardener working in a public park on the north side of town.

When they reached the place, Shizuha nodded to her sister, cracked her knuckles, and proceeded to bust the door open; she shouted, ?Alright Shameimaru, cough it up; you were seen so we know it was you.?

Aya didn?t even get up from her desk; she said, ?You got nothin?.  I, on the other hand, got the story of the century right here: ?Eientei burgled!  Thief disappears in a puff of smoke!??

Minoriko held her hand up to stop her sister.  ?Aya; you have photos, don?t you??

She looked up from her story and said, ?What makes you think that??

The younger Aki smiled.  ?The witness heard clicking sounds along with the wind; if you got a story out of that, you have to have photos, too.?

Aya smiled back.  ?Maybe I do; how much are they worth to you??

Shizuha had had enough; she sprung over the desk, lifted the journalist from her seat, and pinned her to the wall.  ?If you want to still be able to put out newspapers, you?ll give us those photos.?

Struggling against the former goddess?s strength, Aya shouted, ?Haven?t you heard of freedom of the press?  This is oppression!?

Smiling smugly as the girl struggled, Shizua said, ?We ain?t in America.?

Aya continued to struggle fruitlessly for a few more moments; a bullet exploded next to Shizuha?s head, and when she turned to look, Minoriko had her hand outstretched.  ?That?s enough, sister; put her down.?  She grudgingly complied and Aya took a moment to catch her breath.  ?Now, about those photos??

Aya walked over to her desk, sat down, and reached into the bottom drawer, procuring a bottle and a small glass; she poured some of the liquid and drank the whole glass in one gulp.  After setting the glass down, she then reached under the desk and brought out a small stack of photographs; after thumbing through them she pulled two out and handed one each to Shizuha and Minoriko.  ?I think it?s pretty obvious who you?re looking for, here.?

Minoriko?s eyes widened at what she saw.  ?I think I know where to go, sis.?

Shizuha pocketed her photo.  ?Where?s that??

?The Bamboo Forest of the Lost.?

Right in the edge of downtown was dinky little nightclub; the atmosphere was dark, and smoke hung in the air at all times.  The place was quiet when the sisters entered, though it wasn?t for a lack of patrons; they all seemed to speak in barely audible whispers, like being overheard was a crime unto itself.  They approached the bar; the owner and only person working there greeted them.  ?What can I get for you? oh, it?s you, ?Riko.?

?Evening, Mokou.?  She slid the photo across the bar.  ?You want to tell me what?s up with this picture??

Mokou picked it up and held it to the dim light; it depicted a hooded figure seemingly leaving the Eientei treasure room.  What made the photo spectacular was that the person?s back seemed to be on fire.  She set the picture down and said, ?It ain?t me.?

Minoriko reached across the bar and grabbed Mokou by the collar.  ?Like hell it ain?t you; you?re the only person who can set themselves on fire like that and survive.  You?ve had a grudge against Kaguya for centuries, so there?s motive; give me one good reason why I shouldn?t drag you off right now.?

Mokou smirked.  ?Because if it were really me, I wouldn?t have just set my torso on fire??  She suddenly burst into flames all over her body, causing Minoriko to drop her.  ?I?d set my whole body on fire.  That?s not me.?

Shizuha was unimpressed by the show.  ?But where were you last night??

?I was here.?  The sisters gave her twin looks of skepticism.  ?I was here and I can prove it; I got tons of witnesses.?  She looked over and called out to one of the patrons.  ?Yo, bucket girl!  Wasn?t I here last night??

She looked up from her drink and shouted, ?Yer always here, Mokou!?

The bartender appeared irritated.  ?But wasn?t I here last night??

The girl looked confused and said, ?Yeah, you was here? you got mad ?cause the ?tainment was late.?

She smirked back at the detectives.  ?See?  I had to be here to yell at that mouse and tiger act; they said something about bein? late due to? flyin? saucers or some nonsense like that.?

Minoriko looked a little disappointed that her hunch was wrong.  Shizuha had given it some thought, and something the staff at the mansion had said came back to her.  ?What do you know about her treasures, Mokou??

Mokou stiffened.  ?Too much; she got my father killed looking for ?em over a thousand years ago.  She?s got five: Buddha?s Stone Bowl, the Jeweled Branch of Hourai, the Robe of the Fire Rat, the Dragon?s Colorful Necklace, and the Swallow?s Cowrie Shell.  For the record, I wouldn?t want to steal any of ?em, anyways; they?d remind me of her and just make me madder.?

Minoriko looked at her sister.  ?Whatcha thinking about, sis??

Shizuha shook her head, ?Their stories don?t match up; one said just one thing was taken, the other said at least two.  Who?s lying here??

Minoriko adjusted her hat.  ?Back to Eientei??

Her sister nodded and placed a few bills on the counter.  ?For your trouble; hope we don?t come back.?

It was dark out when they arrived back to the mansion; they strolled in without waiting for an escort and walked right into Kaguya?s study.  She wasted no time in addressing them.  ?Well, have you found what was stolen??

Shizuha walked forward.  ?Actually, we came to have a look at the scene; you don?t mind if we do that, right??

Her eyes widened for only a moment before she said, ?Of course.?  She snapped her fingers and the taller of the two servants from before appeared in the room.  ?Take them to the treasure room.?

The girl looked startled but she nodded regardless.  They followed her deeper into the mansion and through a passage that didn?t look like it was there.  A strange, futuristic looking locking mechanism was disarmed by the rabbit and she led them into the room.

They took a quick look around and managed to identify each item that was there and what wasn?t.  Shizuha said without turning, ?You said only one treasure was taken; I see only three of the five.  What happened to the Stone Bowl and Robe??

The sound of a sliding door could be heard, and the voice of Kaguya rung out.  ?I knew I should have called the Hakurei; she would have been lazy enough to turn it over to the police after getting the photos.?  The Aki sisters started to turn when she said, ?Don?t move!  I?ve got a hundred rabbits all ready to fire at you if you so much as make a hostile action.?

Shizuha shook her head.  ?A set up, huh?  Well don?t that beat all?  Couldn?t kill her, so you figured to get her all locked up legally and she?d be out of your hair??

The younger Aki looked confused.  ?Why go to this length, though?  She?s so far beneath you.?

Fury crept into Kaguya?s voice.  ?I can?t go anywhere in this city without her showing up and starting trouble!  And do the police do anything about it?  Never!  There?s never enough proof that she?s really doing anything!?  She took a deep breath.  ?This was my chance, but you, you? detectives had to ruin everything.?

It became so quiet you could hear the sweat from the sisters hit the floor.  Suddenly a voice laced with fear and agitation came from the outer corridor; ?She?s here, and she?s mad!?  The shorter of the two witnesses suddenly ran into the room and bowled over both Kaguya and the other servant.  In the confusion the sisters nodded to one another and bolted past them through the now unblocked door.

Minoriko was losing ground quickly and shouted, ?Slow down, sister!  You know I can?t run as fast as you!?

Shizuha sighed and picked her sister up, hefting her over her back.  ?One of these days we?re going to do something about that left foot??

She burst out the door in time to see a living ball of fire rush past them and into the house.  After getting beyond the gate, she set her sister down and they looked back at the now burning mansion.  Minoriko looked to her sister and said, ?Now what??

Shizuha sook her head.  ?Now we leave it up to the police; this isn?t our case anymore.?  She turned and started walking away.

Her younger sister started after her and said, ?You know, we never got paid??

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #536 on: March 02, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
My gut was telling me Max would get the first story up.
And boy did he do a good job. But why the Aki Sisters? Maybe because they arent as big in the fanbase as some of the main characters?

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #537 on: March 02, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
Am I that predictable after such a short time? >_>

Honestly?  It was a hunch that I should just use them.  They seemed ripe for the usage in this challenge... okay, that was a bad one.  But seriously, I looked at all of the characters and said "Which one can I write something like this with?"  I wanted something less mainstream, since there are likely some characters that would be more used than others, and the Aki sisters just jumped at me.

I certainly had a lot of fun writing that; it was a great way to pass three hours of what would otherwise have been boredom this morning at work!

« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
Browsing through the thread, is it just me or does Iced win almost every time :V

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Nonesense.  I win less then half the time.

More then 1/3, but less then half.