Author Topic: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread the First  (Read 477369 times)

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Current: "All Hallows' Eve!"
« Reply #480 on: October 28, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »
I imagined Chen moving like Chiyo -from Azumanga-, made it all the more adorable.

xD Good, that was on purpose.  Cause she was dressed as the Chiyo-Penguin.  You are now retroactively reading all of Chen's lines in Chiyo's voice.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #481 on: October 28, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
"Pretty scary, isn't it? I'm going as an ass."

I love your Mokou.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:53 AM »
Remilia paced in the moonlight.

It was terribly unladylike.  She should have been sitting calmly waiting for her maid, but her blood itched with power.  She couldn't bear to be still.

There were some downsides to being a western style youkai in an eastern land.  Usually it didn't matter.  The full moon was the full moon, new years day was new years day, and every culture had some kind of harvest festival.  But this month the bonds of that annoying faith made her blood burn.

Halloween was coming up.  And every devil that had been touched by distant Europe would be bubbling with power.

The worst part was she couldn't enjoy it.  Halloween made Remilia incredibly antsy, but it made Flandre outright drunk with power.  Koakuma as well, but that was Patchouli's problem.  Flandre was normally a good sister really.  In fact she'd been getting better and better.  But on Halloween she'd become an unstoppable thirsty terror.

Which is why for the last 450 some odd years Remilia had gone and picked a fight with Flandre on  October 30th.  And they would proceed to beat each other into bloody smears, get scraped up by Sakuya, then spend Halloween and the utterly miserable All Saints Day regenerating.

Remilia hated it, but it was a fate that she couldn't change.

She sighed, dropped back into her seat, and began skimming some books she'd borrowed from the library.  Then an idea hit her.

She couldn't change that fate, but maybe she could help soften the blow.

She put the book down, then opened her eyes wide calling upon her powers.  Her vision blurred.  She saw the myriad of paths before her.  Ones where nothing changed, ones where things got worse....

And a few, just a few, where things got a little better.

Remilia grabbed at one of those futures... and found a book in her hands.

?Planning something mistress??

Remilia looked up to find Sakuya standing there waiting.  She'd obviously gotten there a while back, because Remilia could smell her sweet blood lingering in the air.

Remilia shuddered.  Perhaps Flandre wasn't the only one who needed to be sequestered on Halloween.

Shaking off that worry she turned back to the book.  ?Indeed.  I was thinking of doing something different this year.?  She opened the book to find out exactly what she would be planning.

Then she slowly smiled.

?We'll be having a party on the 2nd Sakuya,? Remilia said slowly.  ?The second on the Gregorian Calendar of course.  Invite everyone.  And send a special invitation to the puppeteer.  We'll need her for the festivities.?

Sakuya nodded.  She was used to getting strange (and occasionally impossible) orders from her mistress.  ?What exactly will this party be about?? she asked.

Remilia smirked as she showed the book to Sakuya.  ?Elementary my dear maid.  We will be celebrating El D?a de los Muertos.?

Sakuya blinked at the page.  Remilia was almost certain her maid stopped time to talk a good long look at the book, but she couldn't prove anything.

?I see.  Will your sister be invited as well?? Sakuya asked hesitantly.

?Of course,? Remilia said simply.  ?She should be healed up as well, right??

Sakuya coughed lightly.  ?Indeed.  However she might still bear a grudge....?

Remilia winced.  ?Ah.  Add that immortal girl to the list of required guests.  Offer her a new set of clothing in exchange for her help.?

Sakuya bowed.  ?Of course my lady.  Any other particulars??

Remilia thought for a moment.  ?Oh right, I want to write an outline for the puppet show myself.?

Suddenly there was a pen, inkwell and several sheets of parchment before her.  ?Thank you, Sakuya.  You may take the rest of the night to start the preparations.?

?Thank you Mistress,? Sakuya disappeared.

However Remilia could hear her voice in the air muttering, ?Where am I going to find a mariachi band in Gensoukyo??

Hatate had never been inside the Scarlet Devil Mansion before.  She'd mainly used spirit photography to capture the events that had gone on inside there.  It was safer then fighting that crazy maid.  But recently that annoying hack Aya had pointed out the weakness of that technique.  She needed to cover these events personally.  Though with a little more journalistic integrity then her rival.

Fortunately the gate guard had accepted her press credentials after a bit of consultation.  They'd forced her to wear a stupid hat with a press card tied to the ribbon above the brim, but she made it to the party with no fuss.

And she was very glad she did.

The display was incredibly macabre, even for a place called the Scarlet Devil Mansion.  She'd been hoping for foreign flash, and here it was!

Flowers and skulls covered the room in a riotous display.  After a bit of inspection, Hatate was pretty sure the skulls were real too.  Pictures of skeletal figures had replaced the usual art.  Here and there crosses stood out, usually intricately designed, and hung with wreaths of flowers.

Meanwhile in the massive ballroom itself, fairies wearing skull masks and elegant dresses flitted about, occasionally carrying plates of food and drink, usually on a bed of flowers.  Drinks that Hatate couldn't place sat beside candies and breads shaped like skulls, and foods that looked like eggrolls.

At the far end on the room a small band played music on the western harmonic scale.  Hatate found it as lively as anything the Prismrivers played, and more folksy then their concertos.  Still it was fairly intricate music.  Hatate took a quick snapshot of the group, and wandered over to interview them.  She wanted to know how Sakuya had gotten them there and why they weren't panicking.

Unfortunately she was intercepted.  ?Sorry, but they're not taking interviews,? Yukari said, stepping in front her her.

Hatate considered briefly pushing the matter, but she didn't want to get kicked out just yet.  ?Then perhaps you could explain their presence, Miss Yakumo??

?Oh it's simple.  I brought them here with my power.  Of course I told them they were performing at a very rich costume party, but that's neither here nor there,? Yukari said with a smirk.  Then she sighed.  ?But sadly the maid accepted my payment demand all too easily.  I guess I should have asked for more.?

Hatate punched in notes.  ?I see, and what was this payment??

?You'll find out.  Now go circulate little fledgling,? Yukari said with a flick of her fan.  ?Go make Aya self conscious about her age.?

?Whatever,? Hatate said as she wandered off.  She hated when people pointed out her age.  She was almost 300 years old.  Not a kid like Youmu or the humans.

Still she should enjoy the party.  She grabbed one of the candied skulls, as she started to wander the crowd.  The candies didn't have any human in them, but they were pleasantly sweet.  They matched the slightly bitter chocolate drink very well.

Scanning the crowd she saw Aya over with some of the other big name Tengu and exchange glares with her.  She moved on and took a picture of Flandre as she made a rare public appearance.  She seemed to be talking with Koishi, Medicine and Yamame, everyone else having quietly fled her presence.

Similarly no one was approaching Satori except the animal youkai.  Strangely that appeared to include Nazarin, Shou and Ran in addition to the usual suspects.  It seemed even animal youkai that approached divinity were still animal youkai.

Finally she snapped a picture of Youmu trying to pull her ghost half away from the flowers.  ?Wonder why that's happening?? she muttered to herself.

?She's stuck because the flowers are placed to draw the spirits of the dead.?

Hatate turned to find the mountain's wind preistess looking at her with a smile.  Hatate gave a nod to Sanae and started typing into her cellphone.  ?I see.  So what else can you tell me about this outside world event??

Sanae laughed lightly.  ?Ah, I'm sorry.  I just know about this because of a class we had on events similar to the Obon festival around the world.?

?Oh.  So you don't know anything more?? Hatate asked.  She didn't expect much out of the priestess but there might be something she could make into a story....

Sanae thought for a bit.  ?Well I did hear something about why they have lots of skulls around, but that's a scary story,? Sanae said as her voice fell to a fake whisper.  Hatate assumed it was intended to be frightening so she played along.

?Really?  Well perhaps some of the braver readers would like to hear about it.?

Sanae looked both ways in an exaggerated manner before continuing.  ?Apparently the Aztecs used to keep the skulls of the defeated as trophies, and they brought them out to show on the day of the dead.?  Hatate must not have kept her boredom off her face because after a moment Sanae continued.  ?Um, and they practiced human sacrifice!  They believed they needed to sacrifice people to get the sun to rise.  So they took prisoners to the top of their giant temples, and cut them open!  Then they pulled out their still beating hearts as a sacrifice.?  Hatate typed furiously into her phone as Sanae's voice sunk to a whisper.  ?And I heard they ate the victims afterwards.?

?Oh man!  These Aztecs sound totally awesome!?

Hatate jumped slightly at the voice beside them.  Turning she saw the kassha staring at them with open admiration.

?So those step like buildings on the pictures on the walls, were those the temples?  And they worshiped the sun?  What kind of clothes did their priestesses wear??  Hatate could almost swear she heard the Kasha purring.

Sanae looked at the kassha in confusion.  ?Um, they didn't have priestesses I don't think...?  Then her face turned to understanding.  ?Wait, you are NOT setting this up in the underground!  That's not a proper ritual for the Yatagarasu!?

?Aw, you're no fun sis.  I'll ask the magician.?

?No you won't!? Sanae cried while bringing her gohei down on Orin's head.  The kassha yelped.  Hatate of course snapped a picture.  ?Besides what makes you think she'd be willing to help you??

The kassha rubbed her head.  ?Well they obviously aren't that picky.  I mean they got two thrones worth of skulls here.?

Sanae and Hatate both looked around.  ?I don't see any skull thrones,? Hatate stated.  ?Just the ones on the walls.?

?Wait, those skulls are real?? Sanae asked with wide eyes.  Hatate just gave the shrine maiden a look.  Surely humans could recognize their own skulls right?

Rin rubbed her head.  ?Thrones are how you count skulls of course.  91 skulls to a pile, 3 piles to a throne.?

Hatate blinked at the kassha, then headed off to find a story people would believe.  Behind her she could hear Sanae saying, ?I've never heard anyone use that measurement before, and who actually make's a throne out of skulls??

Seeking something a little more reasonable Hatate angled for the drinks.  As she reached the first table she overheard Wriggle yelling at one of the fairies, ?What do you mean they drown a poor larva in the bottle?  Why would you do that!??  She decided to just take a picture and move on.

The next table looked more promising.  It seemed like a collection of hard liquors, given the small size of the glasses.  Hatate grabbed the one that said Fire God.  It had a strange odor, unlike any plant she'd come across before.  Shrugging, Hatate threw the drink back.

The taste of the liquor was strange, though Hatate could tell it was strong.  Not that it mattered much to a Tengu like her.  She waited a second for the aftertaste.

Then sputtered as her mouth seemed to catch fire.  She looked around, and on finding a glass of water proceeded to drain the whole thing.  There was a brief respite, but then things only seemed to get worse.

The white haired immortal walked in front of her with a malicious smirk.  ?Hah.  Looks like you fell for it.  Here, this'll help a bit.?  She handed Hatate some of the flattened bread that had been part of most of the dishes.  Hatate stuffed it into her mouth.  It didn't taste great, and the pain didn't really go away, but it was at least reduced.

After she'd finally finished swallowing the food, she looked up at Mokou.  ?What the hell did you do??

?I didn't do anything.  That drink's called fire god because they mix it with some kind of spice.  Jalapeno I think they call it,? Mokou snickered.  ?Though I do admit that it's amusing seeing a Tengu finally find a human drink they can't take.?

?I was just surprised, that's all,? Hatate said.  ?Next time I'll be ready!?

?So you want another shot?? Mokou asked with a grin.

Hatate hoped her face didn't show her stomach's rebellion at the thought.  ?I want to be able to taste the rest of the food being served.?

?Of course,? Mokou said with her irritating smirk.

Hatate was about to get away from the annoying human when the lights suddenly dimmed, except those around a decently sized puppet stage.  ?Presenting the Margetroid Puppet Theater Troupe, and the Many Faces of Death?

As the room stood quietly the curtains parted to reveal a startlingly accurate background of the Hakurei shrine.  With a puppet figure that looked almost like Reimu sweeping the steps.  Almost in that in addition to being only about a foot tall, the doll had a horrible oni mask for a face.

The crowd laughed as the tiny oni miko chased off a Rumia doll (that looked twice as innocent as it had any right to) by whacking it with a broom.  Then the miko went to bed, and a skeleton faced figure in black robes holding a scythe tiptoed in.

It moved to the side of the bed gave the crowd a lave and a silent laugh, then whacked the oni miko with the scythe.  The room exploded in laughter again, as Reimu yelled out, ?Hey!  What's the big idea!?

?Since when did death have such a big rack?? asked Hatate quietly.

?You've seen Komachi right?? Mokou replied.

The backdrop fell away to reveal a forest scene, this time with a familiar figure in purple standing about.  The mini Yukari proceeded to steal a bottle of sake, beat a cute Ran puppet with her parasol, then was crushed by a falling moon to the laughter of the audience.  Laughter that quickly turned to boos when two Lunarians appeared on top of the moon to wave, then to cheers when the death figure slammed down a plunger and blew the moon up.

The scenes continued, with a Marisa puppet pickpocketing a stick of dynamite off death, a Eirin puppet drinking a potion with a skull and crossbones on it (helpfully placed their by a rabbit eared death), and an Aya puppet getting tarred and feathered before being carted off by death.  Hatate got a good laugh out of the last one.  The recipients of course reacted with varying degrees of enthusiasm.  No one seemed to care enough to stop the show though.

Finally the backdrop changed to the SDM itself, where a familiar vampire tossed about fairy maids and acted generally spoiled.  Then the death poked it's head in and pulled a lever sending the little vampire doll down a trap door.  Remilia's ?What!?? only caused the crowd to laugh louder as the curtain fell, the lights brightened, and Alice stepped out to make a bow.

?What was that?? Remilia repeated.  ?Didn't Sakuya give you a script!??

Alice shrugged.  ?Yes, and I followed it.?

The human maid appeared behind her mistress.  ?I altered the script slightly my mistress.  After all, it would be unseemly to leave you out of the performance since all the other major players in Gensoukyo were involved.?  Hatate could see Yukari hiding her amusement in the back.

Remilia's face blanked.  Then her eyes narrowed.  She realized she was getting played, but the logic was unshakable, from Remilia's point of view anyway.  ?Very well, carry on.?

Hatate chuckled again as she punched in a few more words to her notes.  ?This is excellent.  Never thought I'd get to report on Aya's humiliation so directly.?

Mokou's chuckle reminded Hatate that the immortal was still present.  ?Heh.  You're pretty young, aren't you kid?  Two, three hundred years old would be my guess.?

Hatate briefly wondered how the human had known but she shook that off.  ?What are you acting so smug about human?  That's still longer then your race usually lives.?

?Yeah, but you're still younger then me kid.  Always will be.?  Mokou sighed and grabbed a beer off the third drink table.  ?And, Aya wasn't humiliated there.  All you other reporters were.?

Hatate frowned.  ?What are you talking about.  They killed her on stage for laughs.?

?Exactly.?  Mokou smiled.  ?That means she's the most important reporter in Gensoukyo.  You don't rate being offed in effigy.?

?That doesn't mean she's good, that means she's a jerk.? Hatate pointed at where Gensoukyo's oldest magician stood, ?Byakuren's pretty powerful, and people wouldn't laugh if she was one of the featured characters.?

Mokou nodded.  ?You're right there.  Byakuren's not loved by all, but people aren't that annoyed by her.?  Mokou raised a finger.  ?But Byakuren's a priestess.  You're a journalist.  It's your JOB to piss off the people in power.?  Mokou waved her hand across the room.  ?And we're the people with power, to some degree.?

Hatate opened her mouth, then closed it.  She wasn't sure how to reply.

Mokou smiled a little more kindly this time.  ?Well you'll figure it out for yourself.  Or maybe you'll prove me wrong.  Whatever.  Anyway I'm going to go celebrate life and death by killing the princess a couple of times, so if you'll excuse me....?

Hatate watched as Mokou grabbed the bottle of Fire God and strolled off towards the Eientei crew to deliver a spicy alcohol related death to her eternal foe.

Hatate wondered about the humans words.  What was the point of her journalism?  What were her words supposed to convey?  The Great Tengu printed basic happenings.  Aya printed mostly trash interviews with unique headlines and perfect pictures.  And Hatate... she printed, well a newspaper based on research.  Where did that put her?

She looked over her notes and realized that she was just repeating what had happened again.  She looked over to where her rival was chatting with Flandre Scarlet.  Aya wouldn't just repeat how there was a puppet show and strange foods like all the other Tengu in the room would.  She'd make something up.  Something new and different.  If Aya had her notes she'd go write a story about Orin's plan to revive the Aztec sacrifices.  Or about Yukari's little deal with the maid.

She was just about to go pump Orin for more ideas when a pale figure moved in front of her.  ?Hello Miss Tengu,? Yuyuko said cheerily.  ?So do you find this festival fun??

?Yeah.  It's pretty nice.  It makes me forget I'm working sometimes.?

?Ah, that's good.?  Yuyuko hid her smile with her fan.  ?Well hopefully you'll find something related to the topic at hand.  It's so easy to get distracted by the side details, that the reason for the festival becomes a surprise when it's brought up again.?

Hatate blinked, then looked around again.  Yuyuko's words rang true.  In her haste to fix the mistake Mokou had pointed out, she'd forgotten the reason she was here.  There was no part in coming here to make an article if she didn't fit the scene.  ?Hm...  You're right.  The story should be about death.  Youkai are fascinated by death.  But the people here aren't likely to die.  Not sure I could get a story out of that.?

?Very good.  And don't forget, humans are fascinated by death as well.  After all, they created this holiday on their own.?  Yuyuko's smile became a little more melancholy.  ?Sadly I can't offer you suggestions myself.  I've forgotten.  But some others haven't.?

?Anyway have fun Miss Tengu.  And do send me a copy of your paper.?  Yuyuko waved and flew towards one of the appetizer plates.  A small number of marigolds tumbled after her.  Apparently she drew the flowers to her, instead of the other way around.

Hatate sighed and thought things over again.  She wanted to learn from Aya's success, but she didn't want to fall into trashy journalism.  What could she do?

Her eyes flitted about the room until she saw one figure.  A figure that tied everything neatly together in her mind.  She quickly moved across the room to catch the woman before she got sucked into another conversation.

?Excuse me Miss Hijiri?  Hatate Himekaidou, Kakashi Spirit News.  We've met before.?

Byakuren looked up at her with some surprise.  Then recognition.  ?Indeed.  I do recall you.  What can I help you with??

Hatate took a deep breath.  ?Well, I was thinking about what to write about this festival.  And since this festival is honoring the dead, I decided my readers would want to hear about the lives of some of the people who had passed on from those who knew them.  So I was wondering if you were willing to tell me about your brother??

Byakuren froze.  When she recovered she said, ?Um...  Well, there's a lot of work on his life already written down.  A historian would be of more use really.?

Hatate shook her head.  ?I'm not interested in the history really.  I wanted to hear your personal thoughts, if you're willing to tell me.?

Bayakuren chewed her lip for a moment, then slowly gave a weak smile.  ?I'm not sure if it'll be interesting, but I'd like to tell you all the same, if you don't mind??

Hatate nodded and began writing, as Byakuren started telling stories about her brother.  Not the stories of mystical feats or timeless wisdom.  But the time he tripped from a discarded mop, or when one of the senior monks taught him something he'd overlooked.  She smiled slightly as a crowd began to form.  Perhaps this would be a fitting report for the ?Day of the Dead.?

And if that failed she could still put the kassha story on page two.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2010, 06:25:31 AM »
That was so wonderful like oh man :*

I gushed over this in IRC already, but it bears repeating. <3

Dan-Heron

• Evil Chibi-Dan -doesn't bite-
« Reply #484 on: November 02, 2010, 07:16:21 AM »
dammit, you beat me to the die de los muertos! Was waiting for the day to post them.

Oh well, yours is infinitely better than what I had thought of. Say, have I told you your Mokou is awesome? Cuz it bears repeating

EDIT: Oh yeah, and great job with the details of the party! It was good seeing how you described all the stuff that most take for granted.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:21:57 AM by Dan-Heron »
so much evil it's poisonously healthy!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
« Reply #485 on: November 02, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
That was a nice story, I loved the puppet show and attention to detail.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Hieda's Hiatus (Until end of November)
« Reply #486 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
Judgement!

We totally didn't almost forget this was due today. No way.
>_>
<_<

Alright, since there were only two entries this week, we simply flipped a coin. Saved a lot of trouble, really... okay, of course we didn't.
So here is this week's judgement: The winner is...IcedFairy. Congratulations. A well-crafted story with a fair share of humour. Using Hatate brings in a fresh perspective we usually don't have with other characters and it's nice to see El Dia de los Muertos used so well. Enjoy your Special Member, you will have it for a bit longer than usual this time.
SilentW also did a good job. The image image of Yukari dressing up as Toyohime and screaming that everyone else is inferior is hilarious. Well done.

Now with that, we continue to next week's.... wait, what is that? Everyone is busy with NaNoWriMo?

Well in that case....

It's Hieda's Hiatus!

Until the end of November, the WWC is on hiatus. Take the time to relax, or work furiously on your NaNoWriMo entry, or whatever else you may have to do. After things have settled down, we will be back with the usual rhythm.
You are of course free to send in suggestions for new themes during that time still.

Well then, have fun writing folks~

Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Hieda's Hiatus (Until end of November)
« Reply #487 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »
Haha, yeah. Actually outlined how I was going to handle this. Had Yukari dropping in on Reimu, idle chat, Yukari drops something about 'Samhain' and borders, bam. Next scene, would have been Yukari pretending to be a fast-talking real estate agent and showing around a very confused couple in a tour of a very haunted house. ("Geeeet ooooouuuut~" "Oh, no, don't mind old Shiro. He died on the lavotory you see. Terrible case of constipation." "GEEEEET OOOOOOUUUUUTTT!") Third scene, Reimu would show back up, and drive Yukari back into Gensokyo with a dance fight against Yukari's zombies. End scene.

I ended up not getting further in than the first paragraph. Geeze. My bad.

Alfred F. Jones

Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Pr?spero A?o y Felicidad!
« Reply #488 on: December 14, 2010, 06:55:07 AM »
Because I totally didn't forget about this until Sakana reminded me. :derp:

Should be simple, right? A Christmas theme for, well, Christmas.

December 13 12, 2010: "Oh, so it's another day of legal extortion?"

Also, one other provision. I know quite a few of the writers here have their own story threads that they'd like to post their Christmas fics in. If you do decide to do that, then bump your story thread and then just link it here.

There might be other details, but I'll leave it to Sakana to fill in the blanks since I'm suffering from a sudden attack of lethargy and have probably left something out. Sorry about that for now.

Still, this topic should be a fun one to write for you guys. :toot: Have fun writing, folks!

<Sakana>

Well, I guess a deadline would be n ice, wouldn't it? Deadline is December 22, wouldn't want anyone to miss Christmas with their family because they feel compelled to write for us, after all  :3

Also, note the theme is very open this time. The full range from drama to comedy, from poems,  scripts to stories is open here, so don't be afraid to do something unusual and surprise us~

And most of all, have fun~

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #489 on: December 14, 2010, 07:18:04 AM »
Anyone who writes their fic entirely in spanish gets extra points.

No using translators too. That's cheating.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #490 on: December 17, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
Anyone who writes their fic entirely in spanish gets extra points.

No using translators too. That's cheating.

?es mi oportunidad para escribir en mi idioma natal, entonces? que bien...asi podre entregar mi grano de arena a la historia de los fanfics de Touhou. Aunque no sea el gran fanfic ni nada de eso!
bien, se?ores y se?oras, mi fanfic de navidad. y ?ya saben lo que significa eso? o_n
-----------

Cadena de Regalos (con contenido BL cuidao y warning lot of spanish!)

-?Ho ho ho, feliz navidad!

La retumbante carcajada ven?a, seguramente, del techo cubierto de nieve, aunque no pod?a escuchar ningun otro sonido...no hab?a l?gica: si su teor?a era correcta, a?n mucha gente cre?a en aquel s?mbolo navide?o de "San Nicol?s"y, por lo tanto, su presencia no era posible en Gensokyo, el para?so de los sue?os desterrados...a no ser que, por algun motivo, los ni?os hubieran perdido fe en ?l...no, en los diarios que Yukari hab?a traido s?lo hace un par de d?as, se hablaba del rojo personaje sobrevolando Tokyo en un helic?ptero...O tal vez, la gente de Gensokyo ha empesado a creer en la navidad...?pero c?mo, si la gente aqui ni siquiera es de la misma religi?n de origen de la leyenda de Santa Claus? ...lo ?nico seguro de todo esto es que es una presencia poderosa, incluso peligrosa.
Era m?s de medianoche, Marisa hab?a ido a visitar a Alice a su casa a arreglar unos asuntos antes de ir a la fiesta anual en la Scarlet Mansion, Reimu se hab?a ido antes a arreglar no sab?a que cosa al templo, y Yukari no apareci? en todo el resto de la noche. Estaba esper?ndola para intercambiar parafina por un interesante horno que funcionaba solamente con energ?a solar. (o eso, o un extra?o objeto que sus ojos cifraban como "consolador masculino" pero con forma de huevo, supuestamente hecho por tengus del mundo exterior...que tubiera forma de huevo deb?a de tener un misterioso significado,...??acaso serv?a para que los hombres-tengu tubieran hijos sin intervencion femenina??)
-ho-ho-ho...esta casa no tiene chimenea...?entonces golpear? a la puerta!
Entonces Rinnosuke tubo que pensar r?pido. Si abr?a la puerta, y encontraba al Se?or Navide?o, ?a que vendr?a, especificamente, a Kourindou? si es, seguramente, a entregarle un regalo, no ser?a lo que deseaba porque 1.-no hab?a enviado ninguna carta y 2.-ni siquiera conoc?a muy bien las tradiciones occidentales, como shinto-budista agn?stico que era; a si que, lo mas probable, ser?a visto como " ni?o malo" y, si hab?a entendido bien aquella leyenda, se le entregar?a un saco de carb?n. Esto no era tan malo, porque podr?a con esto encender la cocina y usarla para calentarse hasta que Yukari llegara con la parafina para su estufa.
-Esp?reme, que ir? a abrir la puerta por fabor...-El comerciante de antiguedades se arregl? un poco (para causar buena impreci?n) y apart? un par de botellas de aquella bebida espumante oscura que, seg?n ciertos dibujos en las revistas, era su faborita. (justo cuando, recientemente, hab?a descubierto que sab?a mejor fr?a)...y luego abri? la puerta, para encontrarse con un hombre de bigotes,barba y rostro muy blancos,mejillas rosadas, mirada muy alegre...?y delgado?
-oh si..hoho. decid? perder un par de kilos este a?o por mi salud, y porque me hab?a estado atascando en las chimeneas...?ho ho ho!
-Bi-bienvenido a mi humilde tienda, se?or... pero pase, que est? haciendo mucho fr?o aqui afuera...he ensendido mi estufa, puede descansar un poco aqu? si lo desea- en realidad, a esas alturas,Rinnosuke estaba entumido de fr?o y sacrificaba su ?ltima provici?n de parafina, y s?lo durar?a para esa noche.
-ho, muchas gracias por preocuparse por m?, Morichika-san- dijo el afable anciano.
El comerciante qued? de una pieza.Entonces es cierto: ?San Nicolas-Claus-sama es capaz de leer las mentes y descubrir el nombre de las personas con s?lo mirarlas! tal vez hab?a leido su coraz?n todo ese tiempo. Tal vez sabia todo lo que hab?a pensado sobre el carb?n...

-----------

-?No, no me mover? de aqu?, y menos en este dia!
Patchouli hab?a estado diciendo m?s o menos algo as? durante una hora entera, hasta que Alice, con la ayuda de Marisa, lograron convencerla a salir esa Nochebuena.Una cena muy elegante se estaba celebrando en la Scarlet Mansion, a la cual la gente m?s importante de Gensokyo hab?a sido invitada, aunque algunos no pudieron ir por motivos desconocidos. El tema de este a?o fue la "Navidad" que en el mundo exterior se estaba celebrando coincidentemente, por lo que la manci?n estaba adornada con los brillantes motivos de la ?poca y la comida t?pica de esas fechas. Una muy alegre velada, aunque las hermanas Scarlet eran lo menos religioso que existe en Gensokyo.Pero Remilia expic? muy bien por qu? no le importaba celebrar una fiesta cristiana, siendo vampira: "en la ?poca en la que me transform? en vampiro, hace ya mas de 500 a?os atr?s, yo era una ni?a muy peque?a como para profesar alguna religi?n, y adem?s no hab?a sido bautizada" y lo mismo corr?a para su hermana Flandre. Hay que destacar que parte de la fiesta se celebr? en el subterr?neo de la manci?n, por lo que Flandre tamb?en particip? de la cena y la tradicional entega de regalos. Esa fu? la principal raz?n por lo que Marisa hab?a ido, tambi?n.
Pero su otra raz?n de su asistencia era ayudar a Alice a completar su "regalo" a Patchouli. Eran las ?nicas que conoc?an los deseos ocultos de la silenciosa youkai bibliotecaria. Por otra parte, la mayor preocupaci?n de Patchouli era no enfermarse en invierno, poque deb?a entegar algo sumamente importante esa primavera y, si ca?a enferma, no podr?a terminar a tiempo...Pero Marisa siempre lograba cambiar su parecer. Los youkai no se enferman as? de facil, lo sabes, le dijo. Adem?s logr? despertar su curiosidad. ?que era lo que quer?an mostrarle esas dos chicas,que insist?an tanto?
A esa hora, la noche estaba muy tranquila pero muy helada, y no hab?a impedimento para un viaje por aire hacia el Bosque de la Magia. En ese momento, Yukari apareci? de la nada, como siempre, no m?s.
-El ave roja ha decendido al bosque- dijo con una misteriosa sonrisa. -Si se demoran unos 30 minutos, llegar?n cuando este listo el "estofado" fu fu fu.- como si entendiera el mensaje,su amiga Yuyuko sonre?a detr?s de su abanico, y Youmu miraba sin entender mucho a su se?ora o a Yakumo-dono. M?s tarde comprender?a todo...adem?s, ese d?a hab?a sido uno de los m?s felices que recordara la joven guardiana: su padre hab?a regresado a visitarla...pero justo ese mismo d?a ten?a algo importante que hacer, pero ma?ana hablar?a con ella y le dar?a una "gran sorpresa" ...por lo que prefiri? quitar de su mente aquellas preocupaciones.
Las tres m?gicas chicas se elevaron por los aires, Patchouli envuelta en tres gruesos abrigos que le hacian parecer una bola de nieve, y las otras dos brujas escolt?ndola, Marisa usando su hakkero como una peque?a estufa.
Yukari entr? a la manci?n y encontr? a Reimu, la cual quer?a desde hace tiempo preguntarle algunas cosas...ella le hab?a pedido el traje de viejo pascual que ella us? el a?o pasado, y no le hab?a dado mayor explicaci?n de porqu? lo necesitaba tan urgentemente.
-?No te preocupes por ?l, lo tendr?s de vuelta ma?ana mismo! ...um...?y por qu? estabas tan interesada en el traje, si al final no result? tu plan y no quisiste usarlo de nuevo?
-Bueno, Yukari-san, quer?a venderlo para recaudar fondos para el templo Hakurei...China-san estaba interesada en ?l, pero finalmente se puso...esa cosa -dijo Reimu, indicando a la rubicunda muchacha, vestida con un extra?o traje peludo color chocolate, con un par de cuernos y una redonda pelota roja, que se encend?a y apagaba, por nariz...una muy chistosa actuaci?n hab?a hecho, dedicada a su se?orita Flandre...la cual agradeci? con mucho cari?o.

----------

Mientras tanto, en Kourindou, los temores de haber causado una mala impresi?n hab?an sido infundadas: es m?s, el n?rdico visitante hab?a tra?do algunas cosas para celebrar, all? mismo, una improvisada cena de Navidad. Un arom?tico,delicioso y extra?o pan "de Pascua" unos bellas galletas en forma de mu?ecos, algunos caramelos en forma de bast?n, un pesebre (lo cual nunca Rinnosuke hab?a visto en directo, s?lo en libros) y un licor mesclado en leche, caf? y otras cosas bien aromaticas, oriundo de Sudam?rica, llamado colemono. (La relaci?n con la colas de los monos nunca pudo aberiguarla...) prob? un trago, y era bastante fuerte, posiblemente por el aguardiente. Nada mal para olvidar el fr?o, se dijo. Mientras conversaban de diversas cosas, no se di? cuenta de como empez? a tomar m?s y m?s del dulce licor, y adem?s don Pascual result? ser un agradable conversador...?por qu? hab?a terminado su recorrido justamente all?, celebrando con un completo desconocido la Navidad? ?Acaso porque Kourindou est? en el medio de la realidad y la fantasia?...y por m?s que no lo quisiera, el licor se le estaba yendo a la cabeza...y por un instante, el rostro de Santa Claus le resultaba familiar...sin ninguna raz?n, todo le parec?a gracioso, hasta el hecho de haber descubierto que al final hab?a sido tan bueno que no resibi? el carb?n que esperaba.
Por otra parte, y mirando el reloj cu-cu de la pared, el rojizo personaje parec?a contar los minutos mientras conversaba alegremente con el gentil comerciante japon?s que, sin pedir nada a cambio, le hab?a invitado a su casa. Dominaba un mont?n de temas, especialmente los referidos a Jap?n, cosa extra?a pens? Rinnosuke, siendo ?l de un pa?s muy alejado...pero estaba bebido, y habiendo comido tan contento, los detalles se le estaban pasando por encima de su cabeza.
Y finalmente. la se?al.
-muy bien, ahora debo irme...pero antes le debo entregar este regalo- le dijo el anciano al m?s joven. hab?an re?do tanto que ya hab?a olvidado el asunto del carb?n. Era una caja min?scula, como aquellas en las que se regalan los anillos, de color rojo carmes?. Rinnosuke abri? la cajita s?lo para encontrar unas hojas puntiagudas, en forma de flecha, muy verdes y que pudo identificar r?pidamente.
-?Mu?rdago?...y que tiene de especial ?sto?

-----------

En ese mismo instante, Marisa, Alice y Patchouli hab?an llegado a la entrada del bosque de Kourindou. Patchouli hab?a estado preguntando durante todo el viaje de qu? se trataba todo ?sto y porqu? tanto misterio, pero s?lo obten?a por respuesta un "t? ya ver?s a qu? nos referimos, y cumplir?s un sue?o que siempre has tenido" y sonrisas c?mpices. ??sto era m?s importante que completar su doujin, 2 meses inconcluso? el resto del camino corrieron hacia "la Tienda de Kourin"  como Marisa llamaba a esa casucha llena de cachureos, como si estubieran atrasadas a un acontecimiento vital. Finalmente se asomaron a una de las ventanas de la tienda, mientas Alice preguntaba que si esto realmente resultar?a, y Marisa diciendo que s?, que su intuici?n sobre estas cosas era infalible y con los datos de Yukari no hab?a ninguna duda, y s?lo hab?a que comprobarlo. Patchouli s?lo ve?a dos personas que conversaban, una vestida de rojo y la otra, un caballero que sol?a ir de vez en cuando a leer a la biblioteca, y que siempre devolv?a los libros antes de la fecha.

-----------

-Lo ?nico que tiene que hacer- finalmente el Viejito Pascuero dijo -es poner estas hojas sobre su cabeza, y muchos regalos ser?n entregados...
-?en serio? ?con s?lo poner esto en mi cabeza...asi? - el ingenuo comerciante puso las hojas de mu?rdago ensima de su cabeza, como si fuese un sombrero. Esto esta cada vez m?s divertido, se dec?a.
-yo deseo no tener m?s fr?o esta navidad...-la parafina de la estufa se hab?a apagado hac?a poco.
-As? ser?, entonces...cierre sus ojos y no los abra hasta mi se?al- le dijo el anciano, con una sonrisa.
Y cerro los ojos.Tal vez hab?a leido su mente y finalmente le dejar?a carb?n...no, ?parafina para todo un a?o! aunque se preguntaba que querr?a decir con los otros regalos...tal vez era por eso la raz?n por la cual lleg? a su casa. Algo ten?a que ver ?l, el mu?rdago y la navidad. tal vez... ?y que era ese viento tan fr?o que pasaba por sus manos y sus piernas?...
-?Ahora si, abra sus ojos!- escucho una orden con una voz completamente diferente...una voz conocida, pero no era posible que fuera OH KAMI-
-YOUKI!! que est?s haciendo...como es que t?...que no estabas...pero...que estas haciendo con ese gorr..o...ahora entiendo todo...-ahora el pobre joven era incapaz de decir bien todas las ideas que ten?a en su mente por tenerla trabada en colemono...y no s?lo eso, sus manos y sus piernas tambi?n lo estaban, porque hab?an sido atadas a la silla en la que estaba sentado via myon.
-Hola Rinnosuke-sama. Si ahora soy yo, otra vez. Estuve estudiando con Lady Yukari sobre costumbres navide?as, y creo que me han estado gustando...la oportunidad que ella y Yuyuko-sama me han dado ha sido invaluable para mi...que hermoso regalo me han dado!
-Me has enga?ado, de nuevo...pero olvidaste quitarte el gorro...ahora si te vez navide?o, de rojo y tu vestuario verde...-dijo el comerciante de vuelta,tratando de lucir desafiante, aunque sab?a que hab?a perdido la batalla y ahora deb?a enfrentar las consecuencias.- ?Como conseguiste obtener un ojo nuevo? ?magia?
-no, es simplemente un ojo de vidrio que mi botoncito -es decir mi hija me regal? hoy. Es exactamente del mismo color que el m?o. Por otra parte, esto es un regalo de navidad, y estoy en deuda con mucha gente...y le promet? a Lady Yukari que disfrutar?a de esto al maximo (no es dificil fufu) - dijo finalmente el ex jardinero y samurai, con una sonrisa p?cara, mientras su mitad espiritual se mov?a inquietamente- y como a?n es ese asunto de navidad y tiene ese muerdago en su cabeza...!hay que cumplir con la tradicion!
-cu-cual tra-tradici?n?? oh cuando mhmhmhm- y el comerciante fue silenciado tradicionalmente...para luego, pasar a otras cosas menos tradicionales. Al menos ahora ninguno de los dos ten?a fr?o...Largos minutos de silencio, para pasar a otros minutos nada silenciosos... ;)
Mientras tanto, desde la ventana, una chica de largo cabello dec?a -?lo sab?a, lo sab?a! por eso es que estaba actuando tan raro ultimamente! ?si, yo soy la bruja del amor!- la de cabello corto suspirando de alivio (?uno menos! y yo que pensaba que estaba interesado en ella (mirando a la de rubio cabello)) y la de cabello lavanda, sin parpadear siquiera, grabando cada segundo en su memoria todo lo que estaba viendo, y su inspiraci?n lentamente tomando forma...

Ho-ho-ho, Feliz Navidad Patchouli!!!

he aqui mi fan fic. es tarde, me voy a dormir. XD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:39:51 AM by VIVItheHeiwa »

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #491 on: December 17, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »
According to google translate, that is a very difficult story to compete with.

Unfortunately, google translate is very bad at getting subtlety across, so it's difficult to understand what's happening in the last two paragraphs. Which is a pity, because I can tell that a lot of effort went into making them clever, but it's ruined by inconsistencies in the translator. And there is no way I would understand it better if I read it directly in Spanish - the language is not my forte.

But I can tell that it is a fairly good story, and I'm impressed with the amount of effort that went into the translation. It's a lot more consistent than anything I could write in another language.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
« Reply #492 on: December 22, 2010, 09:30:08 PM »
Sanae woke up abruptly from her sound sleep.  She sat up and looked around.  The clock was showing fourteen minutes past six.  ?KANAKO!?  she screamed and waited for a reply.  After a few seconds of silence, she screamed again.  This time when there was no answer, she got out of bed and put on a pair of froggie house slippers and made her way down the dimly lit hallway.  When she reached Kanako's door she swung it open and it made a loud banging noise as it hit the wall.  ?KANAKO!? 

She sat up in her bed and stared at Sanae.  ?What is it!?  What's wrong!??

?Santa!?

She stared at Sanae for a second, ?Santa??

?Will he be able to find us?  Do they even celebrate Christmas here?  We almost couldn't find this place?  It doesn't show up on any GPSes.  Kanako!  What if he can't find us!??

?Go back to bed,? Kanako said groggily.

?B, but!?

?Don't worry about that.?

?What is it?  What's going on!? Suwako burst through Kanako's window!  ?I heard screaming!?

?Why the hell did you come through the window!? Kanako yelled.

?Santa!  What if he can't find us cause we moved!?  Sanae yelled.

?Santa??  Suwako repeated and mixed look of pity and disbelief washed over her face.  ?Let me let you in on a little fact about Santa, you see he isn't--?  One of Kanako's logs came bursting through the ceiling and flattening Suwako.

?Go back to bed Sanae.  Don't worry, he can find us.  He's Santa after all,? Kanako said with a motherly smile.

[bold]Sanae's Secret Santa Story[/bold]

?Secret Santa?? Reimu asked Kanako.  It was later that day and Kanako and Sanae have decided to visit the Hakurei Shrine.  Alice, Flan, and Marisa were already there drinking tea under the heated table.  And Meiling was standing watch outside the shrine.

?It's this fun thing we used to do back home.  We all put our names in a hat and draw them out at random and we get a gift for that person!? Sanae said with her eyes lighting up.

?I do like getting stuff,? Marisa said.

?You do realize you have to get a gift to someone too,? Alice said.

?Ehh, details,? Marisa shrugged.

?That does sound like fun!? Yukari suddenly appeared in the middle of the front yard.

?Shouldn't you be asleep,? Sanae said coldly.

?My, my what did I ever do to you to make you hate me so?? she giggle and hid her face behind her fan before moving behind Reimu and draping her arms over her shoulders.  ?All I want to do is make sure you have the best party ever!?

?Get off,? Reimu said brushing Yukari's arms off her shoulder.  ?And who said anything about party?  We just had one for that Halloween thing!?

?Just a small gathering for close friends is all we need,? Sanae said.

?Oh my, but someone could get left out like that,? Yukari gasped.

?No one is going to get left out.  Everyone here is going to get in the secret Santa!?

?Everyone here?? Yukari repeated and hid her face behind her fan again, just her eyes showing.

?Wait...? Reimu started.

?Yes, everyone here!?

?Heh heh heh,? Yukari giggled.

?Don't even think about it!? Reimu yelled.

?Too late!? Yukari yelled and swung her arms and one by one people started appearing.  In just a couple of seconds it appeared like the entire population of Gensokyo was at Reimu's doorstep.

?What happened??  ?I'm scared!?  ?Where am I??  ?I wanna go again!? people were yelling.

?Okay, now everyone's here.?  Yukari smirked.

?Sanae,? Kanako sighed, ?I've told you time and time again to watch what you say around that one.?

?I know,? Sanae slumped down.

?That was awesome!? Marisa was laughing hard and slapping the table, ?the looks on everyone's faces!   That's priceless!?

?Alright everyone, listen up!? Yukari yelled from the top of the shrine.

?You!  What the hell did you do?? someone yelled from the crowd.

?This dirty inferior dirt is touching my pure moon clothes!?

?I brought you two??  Yukari looked at the Watatsuki sisters standing in the middle of the crowd.  ?I'm even more awesome than I thought!?

?What is the meaning of this?? Yorihime asked in calm manner.

?I was about to explain that before you so rudely interupted.  We're here for a Christmas party!  We're going to play secret Santa and everything.?

?This doesn't sound like a plan you'd come up with,? Ran said from the crowd.

?I didn't come up with it.  That green one did and they were going to leave all you out.  Isn't it sad??

?You're just doing this to annoy the shrine maidens aren't you?? Ran asked.

?No, no I'm not.  And stop speaking out of turn, Ran!  Any other question from someone not Ran!?

?Ooh!  I got one!  Why is Yuuka naked?? Cirno asked from the crowd.

?Cause she's a pervert,? Yukari stated.  Suddenly an umbrella flew through the air and knocked Yukari in the head and off the shrine.

?I was taking a shower!? Yuuka yelled.

?You should probably put something on before you catch pneumonia,? Reimu said.

?I can handle it,? Yuuka crossed her arms.

?Good, now that that's settled,? Yukari said climbing back to the top of the shrine.  ?Everyone come up and pull a name out of the gap.  Whoever you get is who you have to buy a present for.  And remember keep it a secret,? she winked.

?Hrmm,? Reimu looked at the gap that appeared in front of the shrine.  ?I don't trust it.?

?Hah!  You're inferior Earth Gaps are no match for my Moon Gaps!  I'm not afraid!? Toyohime jumped to the front of the line and reached deep inside the gap and pulled out a slip of paper and looked at it.  ?Damn it!?

?No mulligans!?  Yukari from the top.

After watching Toyohime pull out a slip of paper unharmed, everyone assumed it was safe and one by one they came up and pulled out a slip of paper.

?Remember, it's a secret to everyone!? Yukari said.

Ran walked over to a worried looking Chen.  ?What's wrong??

?I don't know what to get my person,? Chen looked at the ground.

?Well, what's she like??

?Umm, she sleeps a lot and is nice to me.  But mean to you.  And she plays with Yuyuko a lot,? Chen explained.  Everyone in earshot looked at their slip of paper.

?Wait a minute,? Reimu said.  ?God damn it, Yukari!?  Ran just shook her head and sighed.

?I'd be angrier if I didn't see it coming a mile away.?

?Do it again!  And right this time!? Reimu yelled.

?Fine, geez!  Don't have a conniption.  I was just having a little fun,? she said and opened up another.  ?This time for real.?  Reimu stared at it again.

?Me first again!? Toyohime yelled and ran to the front again and pulled out a slip of paper and looked at it.  ?It's not Yukari!?  And everyone cheered.  ?But it's still an inferior being!?  And then everyone booed.  Reimu walked up and pulled out a name and looked at it, she showed it to Toyohime.  ?It's not Yukari either or the person I have!?

?I wouldn't do the same thing twice, where's the fun in that??  Reimu started pulling out more slips of paper and looking at them before putting them back.

?Okay, it's legit,? she said.  And one by one, everyone came up and pulled out a slip of paper.

Alice was staring at her slip.  ?Who'd did ya get??  Marisa asked.

?Can't say, but it wasn't you.? Alice said.  ?Hey, Reimu!? she yelled at Reimu.  ?This person I got would want something from the outside world.?

?Alright I hear you.  But you might want to change, what we wear isn't exactly the norm,? Reimu said.

?Ooh!  The person I have might want something from the outside world too!  I wanna go too!?  Marisa said.

?I don't know,? Reimu said looking over her.

?Oh come on!  I won't blow anything up this time!?

?Fine, but you're leaving the Mini-Hakkero with me,? Reimu said and held out her arm.  Marisa shrugged and took off her hat and pulled the Mini-Hakkero from it and handed it to her.

?I'm going to go change too,? Marisa said and flew off.

?I'll watch her,? Alice said and flew off after her.

?Can I go to the outside world too?? Rumia asked.

?NO!? Yukari suddenly yelled from the top of the shrine.

?Okay, while I agree that Rumia going to the outside world is bad idea I got to ask why you suddenly yelled like that,? Reimu asked.  But she was met with silence.

?Did something happen?? Sanae asked.

?It was before you got here,? Ran said.

?Ran, shut up!? Yukari yelled.

?Wait, how long before she got here?? Reimu asked.

?It was just after the Endless Night incident and Yukari was tired and Rumia was bugging her so she gapped her away to the outside world,? Ran explained.

?The spring after the Endless Night incident was the--,?

?We're back!? Marisa and Alice came flying back.

?Wow that was fast,? Yukari said trying to change the subject.  ?Look at how nice they look.?

Marisa was wearing blue jeans and a black sweater with a big golden M stitched on the front.  And Alice was wearing brown boots with white pantyhose and blue skirt just above her knees.  She also had a plain white button shirt with a blue jacket over it.

Reimu looked at them and back to Yukari and then back at Marisa, ?Again with the big M??

?The big M is awesome!? she said proudly.

?Whatever,? she sighed.  ?Come back quickly,? she opened the way to the outside world and Marisa and Alice went through.  ?Now back to you,? she turned back to the top of the shrine, but Yukari.  ?This isn't over!?  Reimu yelled into the sky.

?Why did you come?? Alice asked Marisa when they were through the gate.

?I thought I'd get some inspiration for what to buy my person,? Marisa smiled at Alice.

?I'm not giving you any money.?

?I brought my own money!? Marisa reached into her pocket and pulled an assortment of bills and coins.  ?Ha!?  Alice looked at and sighed.

?That's that Zunny Yukari implemented as the currency for Gensokyo.  And only Gensokyo.  They won't take it here or even exchange it.?

Marisa stood in silence for a moment.  ?Damn it.  I guess I'll have to do what do best.?

?Yea, after all the best gifts come from using one's own talents,? Alice rolled her eyes.

The two walked down from the gate.  Behind them, it looked like they came of a busted old shrine that everyone ignores.  At the end of the path, the two emerged on a busy walkway.  There were people everywhere.  There were kiosks set up with many different types of items and vending machines stocked with soda and candy and other drinks.  Alice tapped Marisa on the shoulder and pointed in front of her at a large building with a revolving door.

?There's the mall, let's go.?

?Hey!  HEEEEEEY!? before they could take two steps, a guy came up to them.  ?What's that M stand for??

?Marisa!? she said and pointed at herself with her thumb.

?Oh, and who is Marisa?? the guy playing coy.

?I'm Marisa, and you better remember it!?

?Well, Marisa, I see that you don't have a boyfriend.?

?Well...um...guy, I can see that you do,? she grinned and pointed at the guy behind him.

?Huh?  What, no!  He's no more my boyfriend, than she is your girlfriend!?

?So you two are dating then?? she grabbed Alice by the shoulder and pulled her in tight.

?Fo, forget you two!? the guy yelled and stormed off and Marisa burst out laughing at him.

?That was fun.?

?You've got issues,? Alice shook her head.

?Hey look!? Marisa pointed at two other girls.  ?Those two are dressed like we normally are.?

?We should probably ignore them.  I'm getting a Yukari vibe from that blonde one,?Alice said and headed for the mall.

?Wait!?  Marisa yelled and ran after her.  ?I've always wanted to kick open a revolving door!?  She stood in front of the door and centered herself.  There were a couple of people getting ready to leave, but saw what she was about to do and decided to wait.  She raised her foot and kicked the door.  It swung around and the door behind her smacked her into the store.

?Have fun?? Alice said, walking over to her.

?Waaah!  You cracked my door!? a very angry man came running over to them.  ?Who do you think you are!?

?Put it on my tab,? Marisa stated.

?Who do you think you are?? the man repeated.

Marisa stood up and patted her chest, ?I'm Macy.?

?Oh, you American store owners' daughters think you can come over here and do what you want!  You just wait til you get the bill!  Daddy won't be happy about that!? the angry man stormed off.

Alice, just sighed and shook her head.  She walked over to a jewelry store on the ground floor and started looking at trinkets.  ?You like this stuff??  Marisa asked.

?Not particularly, I'm looking for something my person might like.  But I'm not seeing anything.?  Alice said and walked off.  She went into a toy store.

?What's in here?  You like this?? Marisa followed her and pointed at a foam sword in front of her.

?No, I'm here looking for something for my person remember.  Like you should be,? Alice said and left the store.

?Hrmm,? Marisa mumbled and followed.

?Mommy, let's go see Santa!? a little kid ran past them and up the stairs.

?Hey, let's go see Santa!? Marisa said and pointed up the stairs.  ?We're his Secret Agents after all!?

?Fine,? Alice and they went to the stairs.

?Hey Alice,? Marisa said looking down.  ?These stairs are moving on their own.?

?I've heard of these, umm...elevators.  We just stand on them and they take us to the top,? Alice explained.

?Wow, even when they can't fly, they can get to the top of things,? Marisa stared in amazement.

?Yea.?

?Hey!  Would you two hurry up!? somebody behind them shouted.

?We should go,? Marisa said and carefully put her foot on the step.  ?Waah, it's taking my foot!?  Marisa yelled and grabbed on the handrail.  ?This thing moves too!?

?Umm, she's special.? Alice quickly turned around to the people behind her and bowed before stepping up.

?Hey look, there's Santa!? Marisa pointed at a big line.  ?So what are you going to ask Santa for??

?Hmm, I really don't want anything.  What are you going to ask for??  Alice asked.

?Nothing, I want fight him!?

?What?? Alice yelled.

?Since you're not going to ask him for anything, I'm going first!? Marisa and rushed ahead.  ?SANTA!?  she yelled and pointed at the man at the front of the line.  ?I challenge you to a duel!? she yelled and ran at him again.  The man calmly put the kid on his lap down and stood up and Marisa stopped in front of him.

?What do you want?  Aren't you a little too old for this??  Santa asked.

?I'll never be too old for anything!?

?In a way, that commendable, I guess.  What kind of duel do you want?  Pokemon, Yugioh, Rock Paper Scissors??

?Well I heard men suck at Danmaku, so I guess that leaves me the one option!?  she centered herself in front of the man and kicked him in his manhood.  Santa cupped himself and doubled over in pain.

?There were a lot more options than that!? Alice yelled.

?Security!? A woman in line yelled and suddenly Marisa was flanked by mall cops.

?I think you're friend was wrong.  That was clearly the only option,? Marisa was in mall jail with another guy.  This guy was wearing a button down shirt that Marisa could only explain as Aya-esque.  It wasn't a Tokin hat, but his hat also felt Aya-esque.  And he was wearing glasses.  Even though he smelt of booze, he didn't appear drunk.  ?So why did you do that??

?My friend is bored almost all the time, I was just trying to be entertaining.  I followed her here, to try and find out what to get her for Christmas, but that was bust,? Marisa sighed.

?Maybe it's not a thing she wants, but a person,? the man said.  ?Sometimes people just want someone to be there.?

?I see what, you're saying.  I'm going home,? she said walked to the door.

?You can't, you're in jail,? he stated matter of factly.

?Jail is boring, I'm leaving,? she kicked the door open and left.

A few minutes later, Alice walked in.  ?Santa said he wasn't  pressing charges and you're free to go,? Alice looked around and just the man.  ?Where's Marisa??

?...hic,? the man hiccuped.  ?She went home.?

?Of course she did,? Alice sighed and left.

At Byakuren's Temple, Marisa talking with the captain.  ?I need to borrow your boat.?

?No way!  I'm not going to indulge whatever selfish thing you're doing.  If you must, you can take this little life boat!? Murasa said.

?I want to come too!? Shou suddenly said.

?What?? Murasa said.

?I've been there before, I can act as a guide.  Also there's something I need to get there too!?

?Fine,? Murasa sighed.  ?I'll let you two take this motor boat I have.  But I want it returned in one piece!?

?Let's go, Shou!? Marisa yelled and she and Shou ran down stairs.

?Do you know where I keep my boats?? Murasa yelled down the stairs.

?Of course I do,? Marisa yelled back.

?I would've felt better if that was Shou's voice.  I guess I should open the garage doo-? there was a sudden banging noise outside.  Murasa turned around and the door was in splinters and her motor boat was slowly disappearing in the distance.

?How do you steer this thing?? Marisa yelled.

?I don't know!  They never let me drive after that last time!? Shou yelled back.

?What happened that last time?? Marisa yelled.

?I hit a rock!?

?Oh that's not that bad.?

?It was mountain!?

?What?  Let me drive!? Marisa yelled and jumped back to the rutter.

?Duck!? Shou yelled.  Without thinking Marisa ducked and she felt something heavy fly over head.  ?We're entering Makai, it's about to get chaotic!  You focus on shooting stuff!  I'll dodge!?

They started swerving rocks and blasting down fairies.  ?Swerve!? Marisa yelled when they came across a large floating rock.

?Duck!?

?No swerve!?

?No time, duck!?

?Sweeeeerv--? they crashed into it.

It was the night of the party.  ?It looks like everything's out,? Reimu said looking over the decoration.  There was a giant tree in the middle of the yard.  It was decorated with tassels and lights and and various ornaments made by the people of Gensokyo.

?My, my this looks pretty good,? Yukari giggled.

?Yea, no thanks to you,? Reimu moaned.

?What's that suppose to mean?  I helped.  I put a ball on the tree,? she pointed at single red ornamant that read, ?YY+RH? in a heart.  ?This was in the way, I had to move it and everything,? she held out an ornament with snakes and frogs on it.

?That's Sanae's!  Put it back,? Reimu instructed.

?Why should I?  It's Sanae's after all.  If she wasn't so busy arguing with the Lunarian she could do it herself.?

?Two reasons: one, she already put it on the tree once and two, you're the one who keeps egging them on!?

?That's cause it's so silly; Moon Santa, Earth Santa.  It doesn't matter which one is better, they're both vastly inferior to me.?

?Put it back on the tree.?

?Fine, you're so bossy,? Yukari sighed and gapped away.

?Why do you put up with her?? Yorihime asked.

?Better to keep her entertained and than have her be bored and do something,? Reimu sighed.

?I know how that can be,? Yorihime looked over at her sister and Sanae arguing.  She and Reimu let out a collective sigh.

?I'm here,? Alice said coming up the steps and waving.

?Marisa's not back yet?? Reimu asked.

?Nope, she's been gone ever since we went to the outside world.

?She'll show up sooner or later, always does.?

And after that, one by one, the people started gathering at the shrine again.  ?Alright, let's start handing out gifts!?  Reimu said after it looked like everyone arrived.  ?Once again we're going to use a lottery.  I wrote out all the name before hand so we won't have to worry about someone missing with it.?  She reached into the donation box and pulled out a name, ?Mokou, would you and whoever has her present step forward.?

Mokou and Yorihime stepped forward.  ?I understand it that you are an enemy of the Princess.  But I also know that you like fire.?

?You make me sound like a pyromaniac,? Mokou said.

?To be fair, I did get the information from the Princess.  But don't worry, I took special care to make your present,? she pulled out a card.  ?It's a special one time use summoning talisman for Kagu-tsuchi.  It has been imbued with my spiritual energy and has been told to listen to you.  I'd like to ask that you don't use it on the Princess, but it is yours to do whatever you wish.?

?C, can you just hand out gods like that?? Reimu asked.

?If you'd like I can show you later.?

?Don't do it!? Toyohime shouted from crowd.  ?The inferior being will do something stupid!?

?Eirin!? Yorihime shouted.

?On it,? she responded and smacked Toyohime in the back of the head.

And Reimu pulled out another name.  ?Sanae!? Reimu yelled and she and Alice came to the front.

?I wasn't sure, what to get you.  I found this, hope you like it,? Alice pulled out a large picture of the city scape of Tokyo at night.

?It's beautiful!? Sanae eyes started getting watery and she jumped over and hugged Alice.

?What are you doing!? Alice yelled.

?I'm sorry!? Sanae said and everyone in the crowd laughed at the easily embarrassed duo.

Still laughing, Reimu reached in and pulled out another name.  She looked down and sighed, ?Yukari.?

Yukari and Yuuka came up to the stage.  ?I want another Secret Santa,? Yukari said.

?No, you're going to take my gift and like it.?  Yuuka pointed at her.  She reached behind her and brought a beautiful red flower.  ?It's a poinsettia, the first one I ever grew.  It's not easy getting one and don't like to move much in winter so I never grew one until now.?

?Th, this is surprisingly thoughtful,? Yukari said holding the flower.

?For your sake, I'm taking that as a compliment,? Yuuka said and left.

And just like that; one by one the people came up and received and gave out their presents.  Until, ?Alice!?  Alice walked up to the stage alone.  ?Alice!? Reimu shouted again.  There was silence.

?It's okay, I didn't really want anything anyway,? Alice said and started walking back.

?That's no way to act on Christmas!? someone shouted from the top of the stairs and everyone turned to look.  There was a raggedy looking Shou and Marisa standing there.

?Marisa!? Alice yelled excitedly, ?where have you been??

?I had to special order your present from Makai,? Marisa grinned.  ?Look up.?

Everyone looked up and saw Shinki floating down to Alice.  Alice's eyes started to water up, ?I, I, I...? she couldn't say anything.  Shinki not saying anything gently smiled and hugged her.

?Hey,? Murasa said coming up Shou and Marisa.  ?Where's my boat??

?Oh that didn't even last twenty minutes,? Marisa said nonchalantly.

And then after all the presents were handed out, Reimu walked up on stage, ?And now for something special.  As the Shrine Maiden of Gensokyo, I decided to get everyone here a gift.  Yukari would you let Ran hold your flower and come up on stage.?

A huge goofy smile appeared across her face and she ran up on stage.  ?Now bend down and pucker up,? Reimu motioned with her finger.  Yukari blushed and did what she was told.  ?And close your eyes.?  She closed her eyes.  Reimu winked at the crowd before kneeing Yukari in the bottom of the jaw.  ?That's for letting Rumia loose in the human world two winters ago!?  Yukari fell back wards holding her jaw and everyone burst out laughing. 

Reimu turned to the crowd, ?Have a Merry Christmas everyone!?

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #493 on: December 22, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »
The youkai adjusted her scarf.  This winter was a little colder then normal.  She was mostly resistant to the cold though, which was a good thing.  Her home in the trees wasn't well insulated, and an open fire up there would be foolish.

She was a fairly weak youkai, not even bearing a true name.  The few people that bothered to call her anything at all called her Tokiko, and that was as close to a name as she'd gotten.

However, unlike most lesser youkai Tokiko was actually fairly smart.  And she enjoyed reading.  Fiction, nonfiction, and in any language.  She especially liked works from the outside world, one of which she'd just acquired.  It was short, mostly pictures, and covered some holiday she'd never heard of, but she was enjoying it none the less.

?Hey there.?

Tokiko jumped into the air in surprise.  She quickly whirled around to find that accursed black white magician standing in front of her.  Even worse the woman had somehow snatched the book out of her hand!  ?'How the Grinch Stole Christmas,' eh?  I've always liked mysteries.  I'll borrow this.?

?Wait!  That's mine!  Give it back this instant!?  Tokiko was already desperately firing off bullets at the magician, but since her foe was running away, her normal tactic of summoning bullets behind the foe didn't work.

Not that she could have beaten that magician normally.

?Give it baaaaaack!? Tokiko cried, but to no avail.  The human was gone in an instant.  The book lost to her, probably forever.

She sighed miserably and headed back home.  So much for her reading time.  And she'd just gotten to when the Whos of Whoville were waking up too....

She sighed again as she entered her tiny cold house.  She supposed she should be thankful that her clothes didn't get ripped this time.

Flopping down on her bed she looked over at the stacks of books and scrolls she'd managed to keep her hands on, but they didn't seem to hold the same interest right now.  She wanted to finish THAT book.  To see what the villagers would do about their festival.  And how the Grinch would react to it.

The youkai tossed and turned for about an hour before giving up and heading out again.  The day that had started out so nice had turned miserable.

She flew by the shopkeeper's place, but there was no sign he'd opened the door today, much less that the magician had come by with the book.  Not that she'd be able to afford it if the man did have the book now.

She sighed deeply again as she flew on.  Past the Mansion with its swarms of maids alternating between cleaning and snowball fights.  Past the village and its bright lights, the children playing just as carefree as the fairies.

Tokiko looked down at the masses of people and sighed again.  A stray youkai like her had more in common with the Grinch then with the masses of Whoville anyway she supposed.  She had no family to get together with and give presents to.  No house big enough for a tree, and certainly no fireplace for a stocking.  Definitely no money for a feast, and no song for her to sing.

She shrugged and wandered on.  Perhaps it was best if she didn't know about this Christmas.  Hopefully the witch wouldn't get interested and spread it about either.  She didn't need the villagers starting up some holiday and rubbing her face in it.

?Oi!  What are you doing here?  No suicides today!  I get enough of that from the outside world.?

Tokiko blinked and found herself looking at a rather large pair of breasts.  Moving her gaze upward she saw they were attached to a rather lazy looking shinigami.  ?Eh?  What do you mean about suicide?  I'm not planning to kill myself!  I don't want to die at all!? Tokiko yelled at the death god.  She thought it best to make that point clear quickly.

Komachi sat down.  ?Well good.  Suicides are a pain.  I have enough problems with winter settling in.?  She looked up at the youkai.  ?Still you have to be kinda messed up to accidentally stumble here.  What's on your mind??

Tokiko considered just flying away.  After all she had her pride as a youkai.  But she was tired, and the air here seemed a little warmer then home.  So she sat down and said, ?I was just thinking about a book I had.  I was almost done, but then that stupid black white witch stole it.?

Komachi laughed and rolled her eyes.  ?Oh man.  The boss is gonna chew that girl out so bad when she catches her again.?  Then she looked down at the small youkai again.  ?So what book was it?  I've heard about a lot of good books while ferrying people over the river.  Maybe I can tell you about it.?

Tokiko considered for a moment.  She hated spoilers, but then again she was almost done...  ?It was 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas.'?

Komachi blinked a few times at that, then leaned back.  ?Christmas huh?  Never expected to hear a youkai talking about that.?  She shook her head.  ?Well I suppose a couple of outsiders had to have come in knowing about it.  Still I don't expect it to become a big thing.  At least not like it is in the outside world.?

Tokiko frowned.  ?It's a big thing in the outside world?  Then how come I've never heard about it before now?  I read all the outside world books I can.?

?Well that's an easy one to answer,? Komachi said.  ?They make a huge fuss in it in the outside world.  One or two months of advertising, Christmas songs and specials.  You're supposed to find the true meaning of life, reunite with all your family and hook up for a romantic evening with your girlfriend all at the same time.  And it's all supposed to turn out wonderfully.?

?It's even weirder out here.?  Komachi shook her head.  ?I mean, at least the Christians have the religious holiday to go with it.  And better music too, though they don't play that on the radio for some reason.  Most Japanese people just get the hyped version.?

?And in the end it never turns out perfect.  There's always a present you didn't want, or a relative who can't come, or the guy you're interested in asks out some other girl.  Or worse, you've lost a friend, or your job.  And the fact that everyone's telling you you're supposed to be having some big happy event with everyone just makes everything seem worse,? Komachi stopped her rant with a weak grin.  ?Sorry.  Maybe a death god isn't the best person to ask about this.?

?I'm a youkai, I probably shouldn't be asking,? Tokiko pointed out.  She sat and thought about the the shinigami's words.  ?So it's all a commercial thing then??

Komachi paused and stared into the sky.  ?Well...  not all.?

Tokiko watched as the death god fiddled with her scythe for a bit.  ?About a century back we got pulled in to work overtime in Europe.  They'd decided to have a huge war over there.  Big mess.  Everyone was pulling double shifts.?

Komachi continued staring into the distance as she went on.  ?Anyway, the area I got sent to help with,  they'd just started the fighting.  There were still dead on the battlefield.?

?It was cold and miserable.  They were sleeping in trenches, and stringing barbed wire to cause their enemies as much trouble as possible.  And the only reason the ground wasn't entirely mud was because it was mostly frozen.?

?Yet that evening, they just put down their guns.  They went out of their trenches and walked over to their enemies to talk and trade rations.  They even sang carols together.?

The shinigami shook her head.  ?It was so strange.  That people who were killing each other barely a week before were willing to put that all aside, just because it was 'Christmas.'?

Tokiko sat and thought about it.  The whole situation didn't seem to make any sense.  But she could sense no deception in the shinigami's words.  And there was no reason for the death god to lie to her.

?Anyway I better be getting back to work.  It may be Christmas but I only get O-bon off,? Komachi said while standing.

Then she froze in place as another voice swept over her.  ?Indeed.  And since you aren't on vacation, you should have brought back another soul by now!?

Tokiko looked up to see a more slender woman floating above the two.  She looked rather cross.  Tokiko carefully backed away from the death god.  Best not to be blamed for that.

Komachi took off.  ?Well hope that was helpful.  Remember not to kill yourself okay!  Gotta go.?

The woman sighed then turned to Tokiko.  ?And you little youkai, you should be more careful with your life.  Much like that ice fairy you are too quick to battle, and you sometimes wander too far from your home.  You should temper your pride with reason.?

Tokiko was a little annoyed being compared to a fairy, but she wasn't willing to press the issue.  Anyone who a shinigami called took orders from was not one to argue with.  And she could see the wisdom in not fighting too much.  She simply nodded.

Shikieiki slowly smiled at that.  ?Ah, it's nice to have someone listen to me immediately instead of throwing a tantrum.?  She paused for a moment.  ?I'm curious though.  What were you discussing with Komachi?  Normally she doesn't look that thoughtful.?

Tokiko blinked.  ?Well I asked her something about 'Christmas,' and she told me a story about it.?

Shikieiki looked intrigued at that.  ?Hm... Christmas eh??  Shikieiki seemed lost in thought.  ?The best and the worst of holidays.?

Tokiko hesitated, but she didn't have anything better to do.  ?Why do you say that??

?Hm...? The yama looked at Tokiko.  ?How well do you understand humans little youkai??

Tokiko considered the matter.  ?I... don't know.  I've read a lot about humans, but I've never really gotten to know them personally.?

?Ah, then you should know how similar and how different those stories are from the truth,? Shikieiki said.  The yama thought for a moment.

?Understand, humans have holidays to remind them of all the things they take for granted, and to remind them of all the things they're supposed to search for in life.  Love, peace, joy and hope.  It is a good thing to search for them every day,? Shikieiki sighed.  ?But, well, humans are quick to get caught up in the details and forget the goals.?

?But that makes the search all the more important,? Shikieiki looked down at the youkai.  ?Does that give you some idea??

Tokiko frowned.  ?I guess?  I can understand getting caught up in things.  But I think there's still something missing.?

Shikieiki nodded.  ?There always is.  As a youkai you aren't one for religion, so that explination would be a waste.  Still, perhaps I can give you a hint.  If you want to learn more, you should go that way,? Shikieiki said, pointing vaguely to the east.

?Thanks,? Tokiko said as she hopped into the air.  She fluttered off into the air and began traveling.

After a little bit though she found herself at the base of youkai mountain.  ?Hrm... I don't really want to fly up there,? she muttered.

?Oh, but that's where you're meant to go.?

Tokiko glanced up at the mountain skeptically.  ?Really?  I don't want to have to explain myself to all the tengu patrols.  It seems like way more trouble then it's worth.?

?Don't worry.  I'm... the ghost of Christmas present.  No one will see you.?

?Weird name,? Tokiko muttered before beginning her flight up the mountain.  About halfway to the top she realized she had no reason to just trust the voice, but it seemed to be working, so the youkai continued on.

Finally they reached the lake and the Moriya shrine.  Tokiko frowned again.  ?Didn't the yama say that Christmas was a Christian holiday?  Why are we at a shrine??

?Ah, well Christmas has spread a lot.  Let me show you.?

Tokiko unconsciously moved around to the side of the shrine and peaked into the main room.  While the outside was unchanged, here inside things were different.  A evergreen treetop was in the corner, decorated with lights and glass orbs.

And around the kotatsu were all the members of that strange family.  Suwako was happily pealing a persimmon, while Sanae was carefully checking an egg timer.  Kanako was staring at the little tree in the corner with a frown.

Finally when Sanae turned over the egg timer the larger goddess spoke.  ?Hrm, always seems wrong.  I mean why are we giving faith to some other religion??

?Eh, does that mean you don't want Sanae's special Christmas cake then Kanako?? Suwako asked with a wide grin.  ?More for me then!?

?Ah!  That's not what I meant at all froggy!? Kanako reached over and pulled the other goddesses hat over her eyes.  ?I just think it should be a better holiday!  Say, one dedicated to us.?

Sanae reached out with practiced ease to separate the two goddesses.  ?Now now.  No fighting.  And I wouldn't want this holiday to be one of your holidays.  After all, this is the one day I have my family all to myself.?

Kanako pulled her priestess into a hug followed soon after by Suwako.  Tokiko smiled slightly and moved away from the window.  ?Hm... That's sweet.?

Then she sighed.  ?Still I can't help but feel this is more like a human thing.  I don't have family.  And I don't have close friends.  Oh well.  I guess I learned something.?

?Hm... Maybe not close friends yet.  But you have a friend.?

Koishi smiled at the bird youkai and handed her a small package.  ?Here.?

Tokiko blinked at the Satori with the half opened eye.  ?Eh?  But I didn't get you anything.?

?That's not true.  You let me play with you.  I've always wanted to be a helpful ghost once.?  Koishi waved.  ?Merry Christmas Tokiko.  Maybe we'll see each other again.?

Tokiko waved, then blinked as the girl vanished again.  She wondered how Koishi had managed to hide her presence while carrying a conversation.  Then she wondered how she knew the girls name.

And there was a moment of shock as she began to wonder how she was going to get down without Koishi's stealth around her.

Fortunately the tengu weren't that interested in keeping people in.  So while she got a few odd looks from the wolf tengu, they mostly just shooed her down.  It helped that she was an animal youkai.

So as nigh began to fall, she made it down the mountain, and finally got back to her tiny home.

She opened the door and entered in.  First she checked her books, and happily found they were all still present.  Then she flopped down on her makeshift futon and lit an oil lamp.

Finally she took a good look at the package.  It was in simple brown paper, tied with a very nice red ribbon.  She'd have to save that for later.  From it's shape and heft she could already tell it was a book.

She carefully opened the present, setting the ribbon aside, and looked at the leather bound volume.  On the front it simply said, ?A Christmas Carol.?

Tokiko smiled.  Then she started as an object gently flew in through the window.

She quickly snatched the object from the air before it could fall.  To her surprise it was the book that the magician had stolen!  She jumped up to the window, but there was no sign of the black white witch.

Tokiko closed the window and looked down and the small book.  There was a slip of paper stuck between the pages.  Opening it up, she found it marking the spot she'd been out when the book had been stolen.

On the paper was written:

Thanks for letting me borrow this.  Figured you'd want it back today so I finished it quick.  Have a good one.

Tokiko stared at the paper in shock for some time.  Then she looked over the page, and began to read again.

She smiled as she reached the end.  Perhaps a certain magician's heart had grown three sizes as well.

It wasn't much of a miracle.  It wasn't even something so special that it couldn't have happened any other day.  But perhaps the fact that it happened this day brought more meaning to it.  Or perhaps it just made Tokiko more appreciative of it.

She put the book down carefully among all the others, then picked up the new book she'd gotten.  As she did so she promised that next year she'd return the favor to her new friend.

Then she opened up the book and began to read.

?Marlow was dead; to begin with.?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #494 on: December 23, 2010, 05:46:02 AM »
Oh, hey, being a proper Librarian now, am I obligated to judge the WWC? It'd give me something to do.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #495 on: December 23, 2010, 07:18:48 AM »
Oh, hey, being a proper Librarian now, am I obligated to judge the WWC? It'd give me something to do.
Obligated no, because Rou was never obligated either. Allowed to, yes, and very much welcome to as well  :D

Dead Princess Sakana

Re: Weekly Writing Challenge! - Valentine's Day
« Reply #496 on: February 14, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »
We totally didn't forget about this again

Alright, time to dust things off and get back on track, shall we?

The last challenge is still awaiting judgement, but nontheless we will start a new one.
After all today is a day that is special to some, neglectable to others and annoying for the rest: Valentine's Day.
What better day to use as a challenge theme than one that has so many different meanings to people?

As such, the new topic of our Weekly Writing Challenge shall be:

Saying "I love you" - the Gensokyo way

How would the girls of Touhou confess their feelings? And to whom?
Be creative and show us your ideas of courtship in Gensokyo.

Deadline is February 21st, one week from now. Might possibly be extended to 27th, if so we will announce it in time.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #497 on: February 14, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »
How uncanny... I was just thinking of writing something to commemorate this day, and a subject magically pops up for me to post it to.

I'd have to say, expect something from me by the end of the day; anybody who knows me will probably know which characters I'm going to focus on. >_>

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #498 on: February 14, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
Fuck.

I'm going to write something but, I hope you'll take something that's not yuri. Anyone who knows me will be aware of how I feel about that shit in my touhou.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #499 on: February 14, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I'm going to write something but, I hope you'll take something that's not yuri.
I tried to construct the theme in a way that would allow you to make an entry without yuri, yes. Especially because I wanted to make it so you weren't excluded by default.

« Reply #500 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
At last! Finally, I have my chance to write my Rinnosuke/Unzan/The Great Tengu love triangle romance fic! Wahaha.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »
At last! Finally, I have my chance to write my Rinnosuke/Unzan/The Great Tengu love triangle romance fic! Wahaha.
dude that'd be hawt

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
:* do it do it do it!!!!  :*
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:50:10 PM by VIVItheHeiwa »

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #503 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
Oh god VIVI you're the best <3

In regards to the previous contest, which still hasn't been judged, we can do that when this V-day contest also gets judged. So we'll have two winners running around, big deal. But getting out a new contest was more important than holding back because of the previous one. Rest assured, we won't forget about it.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #504 on: February 14, 2011, 11:09:05 PM »
Is love in Gensokyo anything like friendship?

« Reply #505 on: February 15, 2011, 03:17:01 AM »
I think I'll give it a shot. I sort of have an idea...
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #506 on: February 15, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »
It's been months since I wrote any fanfiction. Think it might be fun.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #507 on: February 15, 2011, 03:39:49 AM »
Hmm, I got next week off so maybe I can try one of these for a change.

MaxKnight

• Youkai of the River
  • No, not that River
« Reply #508 on: February 15, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »
Rushed?  Yes, possibly; though I actually wanted this posted before it became the 15th for me (didn't happen; I blame Star Trek Enterprise).  Clich??  Slightly, though I think I slightly reversed a couple of things.  Also: see if you can spot all of the implied couplings!

Gensokyo, the land where the extraordinary is merely ordinary; magic is everywhere, creatures thought to only be myths and legends abound, even the occasional UFO is sighted.  Things that have phased into the forgotten have popped up throughout the land, but on occasion something filters through which is definite fact; people and objects, places and ideas…  One such idea was now being presented to a certain “Ordinary Witch” this very morning in mid-late winter.

At the moment, Marisa Kirisame looked a little confused.  “You wanna run that one by me again?”

Her conversation partner, Reimu Hakurei, sighed.  “It’s a holiday in the outside world; people use it as an excuse to do something romantic for the one they love.”

Marisa continued to stare at the Shrine Maiden.  “And you’re saying that day is today?”  She nodded in response.  “That’s all well and good, but why are you telling me?”

Reimu smiled.  “So you’re telling me there’s no one like that for you?”

Marisa’s eyes bulged at the accusation; she held her broom out in front of her in self defense.  “Wh-what makes you think that?!”

Reimu began chuckling at this.  “Oh stop acting out of character, Marisa.  Just look at the clothes you’re wearing; still in the blue witch costume wearing that shawl that she made for you.  Admit it, you love her.”

Marisa opened and closed her mouth a few times without making a sound; a few moments later she dropped her arms and drooped her shoulders a little in defeat.  She walked forward and sat next to her friend.  “So what are you saying; that I should go do or get something for her?  I wouldn’t even know where to begin…”  She sighed and slumped forward a little.  “Where did you hear about this holiday, anyways?”

“Yukari.”  Marisa planted her palm to her forehead; she sounded like she was muttering something along the lines of ‘of course.’  Reimu reached behind her and produced what looked like a box in the shape of a deep red heart.  “Where do you think I got this from?”  She opened it and proceeded to pick a piece of dark chocolate out, popping it in her mouth.  Several long moments later she said, “She definitely knows the way to my heart; if only she was doing it for reasons other than to get me to do stuff.”

Marisa stared at the package.  “Boxed chocolate, huh?  Does she even like chocolate?  Where would I find something like that?”

Reimu shook her head.  “It’s not necessarily the type of gift, nor is it how expensive it is; the key, Marisa, is that it comes from the heart.”

Marisa looked up into the Shrine Maiden’s eyes and nodded very slowly.  She jumped up and hopped onto her broom, saying, “All right, I’m going to go look into this; thanks ze!”

As she sped off, Reimu turned towards the open door of the shrine and said, “She’s gone; shall we prepare?”

A voice from the inside said, “Are you sure you’re okay with using your shrine for this?”

Smiling as she stood, she said, “I’m fine with it so long as you don’t make a mess.”

Despite the fact that Marisa seemed to know precisely what she wanted to do when she left, Marisa in fact had no clue on what her plan was; this was why her first stop was the Scarlet Devil Mansion, not to raid it for once, but for advice and information.

The usual method was to blast the gate guard from a distance, bust through the part of the mansion where the magical stress allowing it to be bigger on the inside was the highest, stash some books, and get out before they knew what hit them; this time, more tact might just be the way to go.  As such, Marisa walked up to the gate and greeted Hong Meiling.

“Hiya, Dragon.”  Marisa had more respect for the girl, at least in hand-to-hand combat; that incident involving the weird weather and something called a ‘robot’ taught her that Meiling can hit like a truck, thus earning her the title bestowed upon her by the Chinese character on her hat.

The guard was on alert from the moment that she first saw the witch approaching; she was a little confused by the approach, but figured that this was meant to be some kind of trick… this could be a diversion to allow someone else to slip by, perhaps that puppeteer friend of hers.  She held her pose right up until Marisa walked up to her and… bowed.  Startled, Meiling bowed back and said, “What are you doing here, thief?”

Marisa held her hands in front of her in surrender.  “I’m just here to talk to Patchy; think you can let me in?”

Meiling looked a little indecisive for a moment just as Saukya Izayoi phased in beside her, slightly startling the Chinese girl.  “I will escort you to the library.”  Sakuya turned to the guard and added, “Come along, Hong, we may need your power should she try something once she in there.”

Nodding, Meiling nudged Marisa forward towards the open gate, and the three filed into the house.

“St. Valentine’s Day?”  Patchouli looked a little troubled at hearing  the witch mention it.  “Where did you hear about that?”

Marisa placed her hand behind her head.  “From Reimu, who heard about it from Yukari.”

Patchouli returned to her book she had been previously reading; Meiling and Sakuya hovered nearby, watching their charge.  Also nearby was Koakuma, a bound demon serving as Patchouli’s librarian assistant.  Without looking up from her book, Patchouli said, “And why is it you needed to ask me about it?”

Marisa recalled some of what Reimu had told her earlier and decided it was best to just come out with it.  “You’re the smartest person I know, Patchy, and I figured that if anyone could tell me what I should do, it would be you.”

The librarian raised an eyebrow at this, but still did not look up.  “Ah, this is about her.”  Marisa made a face at this statement, but said nothing.  “Well, I have had the chance to speak with her on occasion; she was able to help with some of my more elaborate spellwork with her experience, and in return I allowed her access to parts of my library.  She’s studious, but too narrow in her focus; I would say she would be insulted by a gift involving her craft, at least at this juncture of your relationship.”  While invaluable advice, Marisa was starting to regret asking this person.

“Why not take her someplace exotic that she’s never seen before?”  Everyone was startled by the sudden voice that cut in to the conversation; they looked up to see a childlike girl with colorful, prismatic wings.  “That is, if you know someplace like that?”

Before anyone else could say or do anything, Koakuma walked up to her and said, “Flandre, what are you doing up and about?!  It’s well past when you should normally be asleep.”

Flandre smiled up at the succubus.  “I heard that Marisa was here, but hadn’t heard any explosions; I wanted see what was up.”  She turned to face the witch.  “Well?  How about it?”

Shaking the surprise out of her head, Marisa said, “I, um… don’t get out that often unless it’s to solve something; I don’t know anyplace like that…”  Flandre began to look a little disappointed at that; Marisa reacted quickly by saying, “It was good advice, ze!  I wouldn’t have thought of that, for sure.”  She turned back to the librarian, who didn’t seem to be paying attention.  “Well, thanks for your help; I guess I’ll keep looking around, then.”

Marisa started walking towards the door when she heard Koakuma say, “Come on, Flandre, it’s time for bed…”  She looked back at them walking off, then looked at the others, then back at them…  Something about the scene seemed… wrong.  Wasn’t it normally Sakuya that was needed to get her back into her room?

Shrugging, Marisa turned back and found herself once again being escorted by the maid and the guard.  Once they reached the gate again, the witch turned back and said, “See?  This wasn’t so bad; it’s not always a fight every time I come over.”

Meiling frowned and said, “Too bad, too; I could have used the excitement.”  Marisa gave her a funny look.  “I have the night off, tonight.”  She explained.

Sakuya shot her coworker a look and said, “As do I…”

Marisa failed to notice anything strange about this and asked, “Wow, really?  That’s weird… I wonder what’s going on?”

Sakuya suddenly had a look of comprehension.  “Ah, that must be it; Patchouli has something special planned for the mistress when she wakes up tonight.  I do not believe they will want to be disturbed.”

Marisa’s raised eyebrow got no answer, so she climbed onto her broom and turned back, waving and saying, “Whatever; I’ve got some more places to go, so you two have fun tonight!”

The witch had roamed Gensokyo, attempting to find any leads on what she should do for this day, or what she should get her, but mostly all she got was nothing.  Nobody in the Human Village had any clues, Eirin was convinced Marisa wanted an aphrodisiac, and Mokou suggested (rather strangely, for that matter) that you always hurt the ones you love.  By the time the sun was beginning to set, Marisa was beginning to think her quest was impossible; she was flying high over Gensokyo when suddenly a bouquet of wildflowers dropped directly into her field of vision.

She came to a sudden stop and flailed her arms out to catch them, then turned her head from side to side to try and see where they came from.  Marisa typically sat close to the front of her broom in order to have more control when moving at high speeds, so when she leaned back a little she was startled to find someone apparently sitting right behind her with their back facing her.  Tensing slightly, Marisa said, “Who are you?”

A voice giggled.  “You know, you have the most fascinating subconscious…  You should let me hypnotize you at some point; it might be enlightening!”

Marisa recognized that voice…  “Why are you on my broom, Koishi?”

Marisa felt her shrug.  “I’ve heard you’ve been looking for advice, and I’ve just been looking for someone to give advice to.”

At this point Marisa was getting tired of asking so many questions, considering she had done so all that day; unfortunately, this one nagged at her, “What’s with the flowers?”

Koishi smiled, despite the witch not being able to see it.  “Those are her favorite; they are rare both to Gensokyo and in this time of year; her subconscious is fascinating, too, but she seems to know more about it than most people do…”

Marisa didn’t hear anything beyond the words ‘her favorite.’  She found herself staring at the bouquet and only barely registered that she wasn’t alone on the broom; she said, “Thank you Koi-“ she turned herself around to look back but found nothing but empty broom.  “shi.”  Shaking her head, she gripped the broom handle with one hand and held tight to the flowers with the other before pointing herself towards the forest and speeding off.

While light was still visible, below the tree line it was quite dark; a thin layer of snow was on the ground, undisturbed by any kind of movement.  Marisa was nearly ready to bust the door down of the house she arrived at when she saw the note.

Ripping it off, she read it out loud; “Gone to the shrine.  Don’t wait up.  ~Alice” She made a face after reading it.  “Why’d she put a heart next to her name?”  Marisa simply chose not to try to comprehend this and hopped back onto the broom; her target had moved and by all the gods of Gensokyo she was going to catch her!

The sun had set completely by the time she finally arrived back to the shrine.  It appeared to be completely dark, without any sign of life, not even Suika could be found.  Marisa prowled around for a moment before coming to a stop in front of the entrance.  It wasn’t late enough for Reimu to have gone to bed, so why wasn’t there more light and sound?  She pondered this for a moment before a voice thoroughly startled her.  “Marisa?”

After she calmed down, she turned herself around and had to take in a very deep breath; before her was the object of her desire: dressed rather unusually in a pale pink dress with shoulders bare of any kind of wrap or sheath, the red hairband still a fixture on her person.

Marisa was so spellbound by the vision of Alice Margatroid that she failed to notice the girl walking up to her and taking the bouquet from her hand.  “These flowers…   I love these!  Where did you find them?”

This brought Marisa out of her reverie.  “Er, um… I have my ways.”  She turned to look around and around at their surroundings.  “What are you doing here?  This place looks deserted…”

Alice smiled.  “Reimu left to go to the mountain; she said something about surprising Sanae… or was it getting kidnapped by Yukari?  I can’t remember.”

Marisa looked at the puppeteer in confusion.  “Wait, does that mean that-“

“We’re alone here?”  Alice interrupted.  “Come with me.”  She walked into the shrine proper; Marisa could see a very dim light coming through the door.  She walked carefully into the building and was astounded at what she saw; a table had been set with a few candles lit.  Two places were set on either side of the table.

Marisa goggled at what she saw; she said, “What’s going on h- !!”

Before Marisa could continue that thought she found a pair of hands on her cheeks and her mouth otherwise occupied by her companion.  Surprise gave way to mindless pleasure as she melted into the kiss.

A few moments later, the liplock ended and Marisa found herself staring into those crystal blue eyes.  When Alice spoke, she jumped slightly.  “Happy Valentine’s Day, my love.”

Blushing slightly at being addressed as such, Marisa grinned back and replied, “Right back atcha, ze.”

And that, as they say, is that.  It was fun, though.  As I said, I kinda wanted to do something like this, but it was last minute, and the challenge just kinda popped up; since I found this thread, the idea of submitting something was appealing to me.  Anyways, I mostly just hope everyone enjoys reading it; I certainly enjoyed writing it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:56:21 AM by MaxKnight »

« Reply #509 on: February 15, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »
You have this line

?Why not take her someplace exotic that she?s never seen before??  Everyone was startled by the sudden voice that cut in to the conversation; they looked up to see a childlike girl with colorful, prismatic wings.  ?That is, if you know someplace like that??

twice. You should either edit it and delete one of the lines, or add two more iterations :3

Anyways, cute story.