Author Topic: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread the First  (Read 477712 times)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread!
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2010, 05:28:40 AM »
Though I am a little sad no one caught the meta joke.
Well, I just got it now that you mentioned it  :derp:

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »
Though I am a little sad no one caught the meta joke.

Oh, no, I caught it.

Bulk discounts are wonderful things. :]

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:40 AM »
May 4, 2010: "If she's the sort that can't die, I can go all-out on her, right?"

May 4, 2010

May 4

:o

[ruro]Details, details. Now get to steppin'.[/ruro]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:13:38 PM by Ichigo Rurouni »
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »
NOW GET BACK IN TIME AND WRITE THAT THING!  :V

On another note: This weeks challenge will run with a two weeks minimum deadline.

Meaning, Deadline is the 6th of June

Also, the 'We want to see your tears' part wasn't completely joking. We had a humorous challenge last, so now is a serious one. Good luck writing~
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:14:03 PM by Ichigo Rurouni »

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
Here I thought my excessive anger and sailor mouth would get me somewhere (seriously...I curse a fucking lot).

Not sure about this week. No ideas are cropping up like they did with the last few. But I'unno, maybe I can pull together some form of trainwreck*. Who knows?

Spoiler:
*Is this a hint for things to come? Fuck if I know...
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Weekly writing challenge
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2010, 03:27:25 PM »
Oh wow. I'm actually halfway through a somewhat longish piece on this very subject. Get out of my head!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
You know, actually, I had an idea, but I don't feel like writing angsty stuff. I have enough shit on my plate to deal with, rather than get my head into the modality it'd need to be in for this entry.

I'll come back in two weeks.

(By the way, June 8th is when I go for my massage therapy licensure state boards! Wish me luck!)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2010, 01:50:43 AM »
Man, this one killed me.  Maybe because I couldn't write the one I wanted to write.  Or maybe it was just a bad week.

Anyway I'm sure that another week will magically appear, but I have an obsession for meeting deadlines so here ya go.

Kotori looked out suspiciously at the woods.  While it wasn't unusual for her to feel the presence of youkai, she had a special duty today.  Her grandmother was tired, so no one was supposed to disturb her.  And she was certain that the youkai was trying to work around her to get into the room where her grandmother was resting.  Which was why she was peering intently at the underbrush.

The watcher in the forest was suitably impressed with the young girls skill.  Even if the young priestess was mistaking two auras for one, her form in searching was perfect.

Still, there were other matters to attend to.  The watcher moved quickly to where the other youkai was and grabbed it by the neck.  It cried out loudly in shock and annoyance.  At the shrine Kotori jumped almost a foot in the air and crashed down onto the ground before scrambling to her feet gohei in hand.  ?Alright youkai!  Come out and face me fair and square!? she yelled.

?A bold request for one so young.  But unnecessary.  Neither of us are going to hurt you.?  Momiji stepped out of the woods holding Rin by the scruff of her neck.  ?I was just following this one to make sure she kept out of trouble.?

The young wind priestess stared long and hard at the two figures before lowering her gohei.  ?Oh!  It's you.  But why are you here Ms Inubashiri?  Shouldn't you be with the goddesses at the wake??

?I've given my proper respects, so I decided to follow this one.?  Momiji shook Rin, who shifted to human form.  ?Who was doing something she shouldn't be doing these days.?

Orin laughed sheepishly.  ?Well, it's not often you have a chance to catch one of the greats.?

Momiji smiled at Kotori.  ?Anyway, I'd like to speak with your grandmother, if it could be arranged.?

Kotori looked conflicted at the request.  ?Well, I know you're a good family friend Ms. Inubashiri, but grandma's supposed to be resting.  Lady Kanako and Lady Suwako wouldn't even let her go to the wake today.?

?Kotori?   Is that Momiji out there with you?? a weak voice called out from within the shrine doors.

?Ah, Grandmother!  Yes it is.  She said she wanted to speak to you.?

?Thank you granddaughter.  You can let her in.  I trust her to guard my privacy just as well as you can.?  The old voice chuckled slightly.  ?You should go punish that other youkai by having her help you sweep the grounds.?

Momiji nodded to the younger priestess.  ?You can count on me.  I'll guard the door as if it led to the Great Tengu's chambers.?

Kotori bowed, then pointed her gohei at Rin.  ?Alright youkai, it's time for your punishment!  Follow me!?

Rin laughed again.  ?Oh well.  That's what I get for getting caught.  Show me where the brooms are, kid.?

Momiji quietly opened the sliding door to the small room then shut it behind her.  It was a very spartan abode.  There was a futon, a heater, and a small table with several medicine packages on it.

The futon itself was occupied by Sanae Kochiya, eldest shrine maiden in Gensoukyo.  For now.

Momiji smiled softly at the old woman before sitting down at her side, being sure to position herself do could face the door as well.  Sanae laughed.  ?I shouldn't be surprised.  You would guard me wouldn't you?  No matter how meaningless it is.?

?I promised the young girl outside.  And no wolf Tengu would break a promise to a friend,? Momiji replied with a chuckle.

The woman on the futon weakly raised a hand to trace the smile.  ?Hm...  In the old days you would have said that with a straight face.  Have I managed to corrupt you, oh great patrol tengu??

Momiji snorted.  ?Hah.  I'm just humoring you more.  There's no way a human could corrupt a Tengu.?

Sanae chuckled again.  ?Oh really?  I wonder....?  She laid back down again and sighed.  ?That's right.  How was the wake??

?It was... boisterous.  Aya, Marisa and Remilia are smashed.  Well, more then normal.  Reimu's daughter was unconscious when I left.  And I think Suika might have actually drunk enough to affect her judgment.?

Sanae sighed.  ?That's good to hear.  I know the funeral was so quiet.  I guess Youkai don't attend funerals.  Well, except perhaps those that were human like Marisa.?  She closed her eyes.

Momiji's smile faded a bit.  ?Sanae.  Should I go run and fetch the goddesses?  I think they should be here for this....?

Sanae's eyes opened.  ?Hm?  Do you think I'm dying Momiji??

Momiji clenched her fists.  ?I know you're dying Sanae.  Don't try to deceive me.  The kassha came here to pick up your corpse, and Orin doesn't make mistakes.?

Sanae sighed again.  After a moment she said, ?Well, perhaps I am dying.  Dying more then I was before anyway.  I think I'm taking in more medicine then food now.?

Momiji started to stand.  ?So let me get the goddesses and have them stay with you.  They've put in their time at the wake.  You don't need to settle for a patrol tengu to keep you company as you...?

?Momiji!? Sanae said abruptly.  ?I'm not settling for anything.  I'm happy to have you keep me company.?  She adjusted her head slightly to get a better view of Momiji's face.  ?Besides I won't die until I've said goodbye to them.  I promised myself.?

Momiji frowned.  Seeing the expression, Sanae waved her finger at the wolf tengu.  ?What's that look?  You don't believe me??

Momiji paused, then sat back down.  She took the old priestesses hand in hers.  ?No.  I have faith in you, Sanae?

Sanae smiled brightly at her friend.  ?I know.  I can feel it.?  She gripped the wolf tengu's hand tightly.  There was a long silence.

Finally Sanae spoke again.  ?I wonder if I'll be able to see Reimu before judgment.  Talk to her one more time, maybe get one more duel in.?  She paused for a moment.  ?I wish I could see my daughter again too....?

Momiji nodded, not sure what exactly to say.  She could feel tears starting to leak into her vision.  *Dammit!  What kind of gods are you if you can't even tell when your priestess is dying!*

The air ripped asunder with a thunderclap as two figures appeared inside the room.  ?Sanae!? Kanko yelled while rushing to the priestesses side.  Suwako quickly followed.

?Oh good.  You're back,? Sanae said weakly.  Then her eyes closed.

?Oi!  Sanae!? Momiji yelled.

The priestess grimaced.  ?Just let me sleep, a little...?  Her expression relaxed again and she began breathing deeply.

Suwako brushed the priestesses wispy hair back into place with her hand, while Kanako bowed slightly to Momiji.  ?Thank you.  She refused to call for us, so we didn't know until your prayer reached us.?

Momiji looked away.  ?Yeah.  Well, it was for her sake.  Don't get used to it.?

Momiji stood and let Kanako take her place holding Sanae's hand.  Wiping her eyes she walked out of the sliding door.  There in the courtyard were Orin and Kotori.  Kotori's face was twisted with worry.  Momiji stepped aside and nudged the young girl towards the room.  ?Go in.  Your Grandmother would want you there.?

?Grandma...?  The girl called out as she ran through the door.

Momiji wiped her eyes again, then managed a weak smile at Orin.  ?Told you that girl was going to break a few hearts.? 

The wolf tengu began walking away from the shrine, when the kassha's hand dropped on her shoulder.  ?Where are you going sis??

Momiji bristled a bit.  ?I'm going home.  To be alone.?

Orin shook her head.  ?If you were a cat you'd want to be alone.  But you're a wolf Tengu.  You want to go drinking with friends until you can barely stand, then howl your sorrows at the moon.  So we're going to grab Nitori, and hit up Mystia's until you're plastered.?

Momiji growled but followed the kassha.  ?You cats can be real annoying.?

?You prefer it if I chewed on your tail??

Momiji shook her head.  ?Alright, but you can't complain later about my bitching.  And you're the one who gets to drag me home after this and the wake.?

---

The funeral was a sunny day.

Momiji stood a distance away from the family.  She didn't really think much of gods.  Still they seemed to be taking good care of Kotori, despite their own grief.

Marisa and Alice had both shown up as well.  Marisa had muttered something about her and Sakuya being the last, before lapsing into silence.  Alice had said nothing, just walked over to the young wind priestess and handed her a tiny doll of Sanae in her younger days, before moving back to where Momiji and Marisa were standing.

Momiji wasn't quite as unused to funerals as most youkai.  Training was always dangerous.  For that matter, Momiji had been alive long enough to have fought in the last battles the of the Tengu, before they left the human world behind.

Still this wasn't the same.  When a colleague fell Momiji could promise to continue their fight, to fill their place.  But Sanae didn't serve the Tengu like Momiji did.  In fact Sanae had been one of the people Momiji was supposed to keep an eye on.

She had no idea how to honor her friends memory.

The service ended quickly.  Kanako thanked Momiji and the two magicians for showing up, while Suwako comforted Kotori.  Then they left for the wake, followed closely by Alice.

Momiji stayed.  She didn't feel closure.  Not yet.

After a while someone coughed behind her.  The wolf Tengu turned to find Marisa still there, looking uncomfortable.  ?What do you want?? Momiji asked.

?Well, I don't know if this is the best time, but I figured I'd ask you for a favor, since I can't exactly get up the mountain without causing a stir.?  Marisa flinched under Momiji's glare.  ?Hold on, lemme explain.?

?Do it quickly.?

Marisa nodded.  ?Well, the thing is, I've kinda got it in my head to help out Reimu's granddaughter down here.  Make sure she gets out more, and meets up with more youkai and humans without her parents getting in the way.?  The magician shrugged.  ?Anyway, I figure Sanae's granddaughter might want to get out more too, but well, like I said...?

Momiji blinked considering the magicians words.  Then she smiled.  ?I think I can look after Kotori.?

Marisa grinned briefly.  ?Right.  Well I'll see you at the wake.?  She gave a weak wave, grabbed her broom then flew off.

Momiji turned back to the small grave marker.  She had her answers.  Now there was only one last thing left to say.

?If you reincarnate in Gensoukyo, let's become friends again.?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:27:14 AM by IcedFairy »

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »
Anyway I'm sure that another week will magically appear, but I have an obsession for meeting deadlines so here ya go.

Yes, as you expected (and partly as we planned from the start anyway), we'll have DEADLINE EXTENSION once more.

New Deadline is one week from now.

Also, Honorable Mention already goes to IcedFairy for meeting the Deadline~

Tengukami

Weekly writing challenge thread
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
Thanks for the extension. I finally finished the outline for a story that's been in my head for weeks.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »
Hoh, so we can expect a Tengukami entry? Nice, that will make things interesting~

Tengukami

Weekly writing challenge thread
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
Yeah, I know I've been negligent. My second job has been demanding more non-fiction, and they don't even let me make references to Touhou. I need to get back into fiction. I'll be working on it this weekend.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »
Also, Honorable Mention already goes to IcedFairy for meeting the Deadline~

Bitch I was done before him.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
Bitch I was done before him.
Heh, didn't even notice that one before  :V

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Like find a the Ger Man equivalent of a hundred dollar bill between the couch cushions, isn't is?

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »
We shall see about that once it's time for judging~   ;)

Sriggle

• Drop the pills!
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
It's short, but we need more entries.
--------
Where there used to be a field of bamboo, there is now nothing but smoke.

In fact, there is nothing but smoke for several miles. Not even in her fights with Kaguya has Mokou seen so much destruction. She remembers reading a paper about something called an ?atom bomb? lots of years ago, but not even that could rival this large beam of pure destruction.

She's used to it by now, though.
?Guess the kid must've been pretty pissed this time..? Thank heavens that she lived out here, and not somewhere in the human village. Then again, with her lifestyle, that would pretty much be impossible.

After walking a few miles, she finally sees her.

The little girl is sulking under a bamboo shoot(Or rather, what's left of it), head held close to her her knees. Her cheeks are red, damn. Kid's been crying. She sees Mokou, but then lowers her head. Either that last beam tired her out, or she's genuinely sorry. It's probably the former, though it's been a long day and they're both tired, so Mokou decides to go with the latter.

?You OK??
She kneels down in front of the kid. The kid looks at her through teary eyes.
?Yeah.?

Mokou pats her head.
?Good. Now don't you ever dream of doing something like that again, ya hear??

The little girl nods silently. She knows it's not the beam Mokou is referring to, it's the fact that she threw a tantrum because she didn't wanna go home.

The older girl smiles and extends her arm.
?Good. Let's shake on that, 'K?? The little girl hesitantly takes her hand.

?Stop sulking, Flandre. We'll go home now.?
?Un!? Flandre wipes away her tears and they both start down the path of the scarlet mansion.

Mokou smiles as she looks down at the girl. She's really matured, bit-by-bit. Of course, she'll never grow up, but at least she's finally starting to act her phsyical age.

Although it did take rather many ?Kyu's?.
Japanese progress: To the point where I can read a manga with the help of an electronic dictionary.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
It's short, but we need more entries.

Brevity is...wit

Sriggle

• Drop the pills!
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
Brevity is...wit

I don't follow.

Did I miss the deadline or something? It's still the 13:th where I am..
Japanese progress: To the point where I can read a manga with the help of an electronic dictionary.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
You didn't miss any deadline. ^^

And I understand what Purvis is saying, just figure it out yourself, it's nothing negative :V

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2010, 05:13:56 AM »

Okay, seriously, what the hell....

I totally forgot to announce Deadline-Hammer before I went off yesterday, but it seems noone else noriced as well, I blame WC.

This is.... embarassing....

Also, I'd still love to see Tengukami's entry....

Gah.....

[Contest Sign] Unjustified and Unilateral Action   - ONE MORE EXTEND!

This is the final extend, definitely this time. I'm really hoping for one or two more entries. Good luck writing, and sorry for the inconveniences :bow:

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
Still don't feel like doing this one :X

Don't feel like making myself depressed any more than I normally am.

ALSO ALREADY WORKING ON SOMETHING nurhur

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
 :(

Well, I suppose it gives me more time to work on other stuff....

Tengukami

« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »
Ugh. I feel about you holding up the deadline for me. IcedFairy doesn't seem happy about it, anyway.

I can always post the story I'm working on later or something. I'm playing with the definition of "death" as it is, so it might not even meet the guidelines.

Either way, it'll be done by this weekend at the latest. It'll have to be - I'm leaving the country on Monday!

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
Sorry for the inconveniences for everyone here, I'm really feeling bad about this ;^^

Tengukami

Weekly Writing Challenge
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
Seriously, just skip me. I'll post my story later. IcedFairy and the others who met deadline should be considered. That's what deadlines are for.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2010, 08:36:10 AM »
I'll wait for Ruro's opinion to decide how to handle this. We might indeed just cut the extension and judge today.

Probably also depends on whether we feel ready to post the next theme yet :V

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
Probably also depends on whether we feel ready to post the next theme yet :V
What you don't have a list of them just waiting to be inflicted upon us?  :V

Yeah, far more then the judging itself* I look forward to the topics.  It always gives me a fun two or three days of brainstorming, even if the story itself doesn't quite come together.

*(Not that I don't love acquiring the ducky.)

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
We currently have a list of.... two (at least that I'm aware of :V )

It's more about presenting the topic to all of you nicely, as well as make a cool post for the judging itself that needs preparation  :3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #209 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »
If you REALLY need entries, I could try whipping something up tonight. I've been juggling an idea for this but never had the nerve to put it to paper, really...