Author Topic: The Library of MotK 47 ~ Magical Librarian Squad 5-1  (Read 138305 times)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
This update is XBAWKS HEUG

Acquisition of Power

The shadows parted ways, and Ruro was finally able to make out Sa'kag? clearly. The avatar was female, and she was twitching convulsively.

What Ruro had assumed were coat-tails slid out from under her and snapped themselves outright; they were wings like a bat's, though they were incredibly thin to the point of translucency, and mounted to her lower back rather than her shoulders. They fanned out for a moment, then dug the tips into the ground. Still mostly limp, Sa'kag?'s body rose up, arms and legs dangling haphazardly.

Once she was lifted completely off the ground, Sa'kag? began to roll forward, turning upright. Rather than drop her feet to the ground, though, she curled her legs up, crossing one over the other like she were sitting in a chair. She cupped her elbow in one hand and rubbed at her forehead with the other, groaning.

?Another Librarian... I wonder what would happen if I were to draw an aspect from her... or is she considered the same as Tyltalis??

Ruro rose up slowly, releasing her shadows' neck. ?It's the same as Tyltalis. Polaris is her active combat form, Tyltalis is her passive.?

Sa'kag? turned to face her, pulling her head out of her hand. ?What are you doing in here? How did you get in here? No! You shouldn't be here!? She recoiled away from Ruro, uncrossing her legs and rising away from her on her wingtips, still not standing properly on the ground. She smashed her fedora against her head and hugged her ribs with her free hand, staring back and forth at the Librarian Aspects around her, at Ruro's doppelganger on the ground with its arm bleeding profusely, and Ruro herself glaring at the Shadow Master.

Ruro took a step towards her, and her motion shocked Sa'kag?. Her eyes drifted out of focus, as though she were staring through Ruro instead of at her, she dropped her arms to her sides, and her shoulders sagged.

?No... no... no, this is my domain, now. This is MY prize. I have Esifex! She is here! I WON! LEAVE ME ALONE!?

Ruro's hand flew to the hilt of Paradiso at the outburst, and she drew the blade in a flash. She dropped to one knee and held the katana at her side, blade pointed towards Sa'kag? in case she rushed forward, and braced herself.

Sa'kage drew her hands up over her head, fingers curled part-way into fists, and drew her legs up. Ruro glanced at the Aspects, still milling about around Sa'kag?, but not moving to aid her.

A shockwave slammed into Ruro before she knew what happened. She was thrown back, and in the chaos could only just register that the Aspects were being cast aside, as well, and the shroud around Esi's frozen body was shining fiercely, with motes of light being flung away from it.

A heartbeat later, she realized she was being thrown over the edge of the mesa. She twisted over and tried to stab out with Paradiso, hoping to snag the blade on anything, to generate some kind of friction that would slow her down, but she was too far up from the plateau of the mesa to reach even directly below her, much less to try to catch herself on the edge.

She heard Sa'kag? laughing hysterically amidst the shouts of surprise from the Aspects, and cursed her human nature for restricting her to the ground, unable to fly. How I want to drive an edge through her... That is MY Librarian you're standing in front of!

Below her, the water level had risen, and for a moment she was relieved. Then she remembered she was in a mindscape; she had no idea just how far the laws of physics would apply and whether or not she'd still be crushed upon impact with the water.

She never got to find out. A light pink blur smashed into her, knocking the air out of her lungs ? again making her question the lunacy of a mind-body avatar needing to breathe for a brief moment ? before she was no longer falling.

?Sorry about that, Ruro. You know, for how tall you are, you're pretty light. Must be because you're a human.?

Ruro looked at her savior, arms wrapped around her waist. ?Ryuu? What the hell??

The drake smirked. ?What, did you forget that Esi kidnapped a part of me, too? She took my free-will so she could use my body as a puppet, apparently. I was only able to talk to Esi for a short while before I had to run away and hide in here. This place is confusing as hell, and it's always changing, but ever since Esi locked herself down, these mesas have become a permanent fixture. I'd been watching the winged girl for a while as she tried to break through Esi's barrier.?

Ryuu lifted Ruro back up to the top of the mesa. Only Sa'kag? and Ruro's clone, who'd rooted herself to the ground by successfully stabbing a blade into the ground, were still standing atop the plateau. Upon spotting Ryuu and Ruro, Sa'kag? glared fiercely. She rose up to her full height, no longer curling around herself,wings stretched to their longest to lift her above the ground. ?You have such determination. I took your Control from you; why are you still trying so hard? Why won't you give up? Why won't you just let me take a body? Why do you get to live and I don't??

Ruro returned the glare. ?Because that's my Librarian you're trying to take. Besides, you have a form, right here; why don't you try to corporealize that instead of take one from somebody else??

Sa'kag? looked down at herself for a moment, then back up. ?I'm restricted to my tome. I can't leave it. I was only able to get in here because Esifex is a psychic. She formed a link with me and I was able to burrow in.?

?So, you are the aggressor, and a parasite. I already suspected as much, but you confirm it for me. Prepare yourself.?

Sa'kag?'s scowl turned into a smirk. ?This is my domain now. You will regret trying to rally against me.? She lifted a hand above her head, curled as though she were cupping a ball. A blue orb coalesced in her grip, and she whipped her hand forward, flinging it towards Ruro.

She leaped clear over it, curling into a combat roll as the blast whistled away behind her.

As she came back upright, she nearly gaped in surprise. Ryuu had shot forward and tackled Sa'kag?'s wings, yanking her to the ground. After they tumbled around for a bit, Ryuu came up straddling Sa'kag?, and raked her clawed hand across the Shadow Master's face.

Ryuu turned her head halfway, calling over her shoulder. ?Hit Esi with the Cross, Ruro! Do it, quickly!?

Ruro regained her composure and turned to head towards Esi's shroud, sliding Paradiso back into its sheath and bringing her other hand back up, conjuring the Justicia Cross. Without bothering to focus on form or technique, she heaved the Cross through the air as hard as she could.

The shaft of the crucifix rebounded with an echoing crunch, and a massive web of cracks spread from the point of impact.

?Good! Work with Esi!? Ryuu stood up, stomping a foot down onto Sa'kag?'s chest, then transformed into a natural drake. She used her talon-like foot to snatch up Sa'kag?'s supine body, and kicked off from the mesa, wings cutting contrails through the air while gouging deep lines in the plateau with her claws from the kick-off. Ruro watched her disappear through the cloud cover, then turned back to face Esi's shroud.

The cracks continued spreading evenly, though the entire shroud abruptly shattered before they met with the Justicia's initial impact point.

Esi dropped to the ground, landing evenly. The rope dart looped across her thumb whirled up and around behind her, hooking across her elbow. She whirled to face Ruro and with a flick of her arm, the rope slipped off her elbow and the dart came whistling towards the Head Librarian.

Ruro lifted the Cross to catch the dart, which rebounded harmlessly off. ?Relax, Esi. It's really me. I'm not sure how I got in here, but it's me!?

Esi flicked her wrist, making the dart jump back through the air towards her, and she deftly spun the point around her neck and elbow, catching the dart and holding it taut in front of her chest. She narrowed her eyes at Ruro. ?Prove it.?

Ruro reached out with the bottom of the Justicia Cross and tapped the side of it to Esi's thigh. ?You hate having your legs touched. You also dislike having them looked at, even, so to get around the short skirt of the Librarian uniform, you wear thigh-high socks.?

After a moments pause, Esi straightened up out of her combat stance. ?Sa'kag? had access to my memories for a while there. I don't even know why I asked you to prove it, there's no way I could safely believe you.?

Ruro rolled her eyes. ?This is your mind, isn't it? Ryuu just tackled Sa'kag? down, turned into a goddamn dragon, and flew off with her through your storm clouds. Can't you sense her??

Esi blinked at her stupidly for a moment, then nodded once. ?Of course. It's a little disorienting to put yourself into your own mind; things get very confusing in here.? She looked skyward, and the rain clouds vanished abruptly.

Ruro banished the Justicia Cross as Esi shrugged out of the dart harness she'd spun. ?For one thing, I'm using the Justicia Cross. That doesn't normally exist in your mind, until it sensed my doppelganger conjure a false one through our li-?

Ruro spun around, suddenly remembering her clone. It was standing where it had been slumped over on the ground, simply watching the sky where Sa'kag? and Ryuu had vanished through the clouds. The cut through the forearm had apparently resolved itself ? everything past where the true Justicia Blade had pierced her had disappeared, and a white fog was floating away in little wisps, as though it were a ghost. The shadow didn't even seem to register Ruro and Esi at all.

Esi glanced over at the ganger, as well. ?I suppose there's that, too. I reckon you'll be wanting her back.?

Esi gestured at the clone, who promptly shattered into motes of light. These then condensed into a single ball, which parked itself right in front of Ruro. ?All yours. Now, if  you'll excuse me, I have a very disorienting scry ahead of me.?

Ruro only managed to get a brief impression of countless lines and patterns forming around Esi before she felt overwhelmed. It was almost painful to look at Esi as she fanned her hands out and tilted her head back, staring into the sky. Instead, Ruro turned to the orb of light floating in front of her.

How should I handle this? Do I just grab it, or am I supposed to eat it, or... what?

She reached her hand out, and the orb promptly sucked itself into her core. Well, that was easy enough, I suppose.

?Hmm. I'm surprised Ryuu hasn't gone mad from spending so much time in my mind. Just goes to show you how sturdy dragons can be. She's pulled Sa'kag? away for now, to give us time to fall back and make a plan. Are you ready, Ruro? Things are going to get a little stranger now.?

?I'm inside your mind, somehow able to see and feel and hear things. Shouldn't this all be abstract? Why is there gravity in your mind? It's already strange enough, Esi. And I'm ready to do whatever we need to do to get you back in charge of your own body.?

Esi nodded. ?Right, but this is my outer mind. This place is of my own willful crafting, powered by my imagination. We're going to dive into my subconscious so we can make use of the time-dilation there to help us plan things out. This is already a confusing enough place for me, the subconscious is going to be even weirder.?

Ruro smiled. ?Lead the way, Esi. I feel a little better now that I have my... what did Sa'kag? call them? Aspect? Now that I have my Aspect back.?

?Good. You should be back up to being a full Administrator of Mangekyou now. The fact that you're literally inside my mind has me a little worried ? I'm not the most powerful person around, so I don't know how well I'll be able to be a vessel for your power, but in the short-term, it can't hurt to have you in here with me against Sa'kag?.?

Esi held her hand out, and Ruro took it.

They exchanged a single nod, and the mesa promptly evaporated beneath them, plunging them into darkness. Ruro stifled a yell of surprise as she felt the inertia build up ? the speed they were falling was well beyond terminal velocity.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Now I know why you were linking me to that Madoka + Inception mashup.

We must go d(ry

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
Esinception.

Things are really picking up speed now though. I'm greatly enjoying these battles so far~
Spoiler:
Ryuu
appearing was a big surprise.

Now lets see how wacky the inner mind will be. I still wonder what the screaming eyes were about though.

Edit - Almost forgot to mention: the songs are simply superb. These fics are making my fave list fill up quickly. :V
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:18:04 PM by OkashiiKisei »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Edit - Almost forgot to mention: the songs are simply superb. These fics are making my fave list fill up quickly. :V
I entirely blame Sakana for linking me to EXEC FLIP ARPHAGE, and in turn getting me addicted to Hymmnos songs from Ar Tonelico.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
I entirely blame Sakana for linking me to EXEC FLIP ARPHAGE, and in turn getting me addicted to Hymmnos songs from Ar Tonelico.
I regret nothing. It is a holy duty to spread the greatness of Akiko Shikata and her Hymnos-Songs.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
I wish I could distill EXEC_COSMOSFLIPS, EXEC_FLIP_ARPHAGE, and EXEC_over.Method_Sublimation omness chs ciel sos infel and inject them directly into my veins.
NEED MORE KOKIA ;A;

Dead Princess Sakana

And it's Magical Librarian time again.
As some of you may know, I've vowed to bring this story forward as my NaNoWriMo project, and with this I am starting to fulfill that promise.
I tried to catch up on everything as I continued,  but if there's still inconsistencies with the earlier chapters, I apologize for that.

Anyway, we are heading towards the big finale, so enjoy~

- Episode 4: Charge, Magical★Librarian Squad -

?Urgh??

I woke up with a groan.
I wasn?t used to sleeping on the ground, my whole body was hurting as a result.
Around me I could see my fellow Librarians getting up as well, some already wide awake, others stumbling around still sleepy.
Only one was still lost in the world of her dreams, happily snoring.

?Ufufufu, Ruro in a swimsuit? ehehehehe?

Abusing my tuna-half as a giant hug-pillow, Roukan kept talking in her sleep.
Ruro stood next to her, watching the girl with shining eyes, a small stream of blood dripping from her nose.

I recalled the situation I was in.
We had found Ruro after her battle with Hime of the Six Blades, and soon after Polaris rejoined the team as well.
With the knowledge about the true name of Moerin?s hideout, Polaris had used her ability to guide us through the forests surrounding PSL, and we had finally reached the giant chasm that divided this region from the neighboring lands of the Art Atelier.

?Alright everyone, it?s time! Gather around, Magical★Librarians!?, Ruro called out to us.
I looked up.
The samurai-girl was standing on the edge of the chasm, facing towards us as she waited for me and the other girls to follow her command.
When she saw everyone was ready, she started speaking again.

?It?s time to end this, once and for all?, Ruro said, her face illuminated by the sunrise. ?By taking the Princess, by taking Donut, Moerin has threatened the balance of this world. We cannot let her continue this evil scheme, nor can we ignore a damsel in distress. The road here has been long and hard, and we have lost many loved comrades on the way. But we won?t give up! We will fight on, for their sakes, and the sake of everyone in this world!?

An awkward silence followed.
I looked around to see my fellow Librarians looking as confused as I was.

?Lost comrades? Long road? We only left yesterday??, I thought.

I opened my mouth to speak, but stopped when I saw the flaming eye on Esi?s staff spinning around to stare in my direction.

??Don?t interrupt her.??, I heard the psychic?s voice in my head.

?But??

??She wrote that speech before we even left. I helped her with it, in fact, heheheh.??

?That?s stupid! It doesn?t even fit!?

??How about we make it fit then, the lost comrades part~???

This time Esifex turned towards me as she transmitted her thoughts, a mischievous grin on her face.
I let out a small shriek and stumbled backwards.

??Just kidding of course~??

Ignoring our quarrel, Ruro continued her speech. She had worked long and hard on this, and by no chance would she give up on it just because things hadn?t happened as she had expected.
She pulled one of her swords and turned around. The sunlight caused the blade to glow brightly as she pointed it to the other side of the rift in front of her.

?For a long time, the lands of the Art Atelier have been the lands of our comrades. But today, they are the lands of the enemy. Beyond this chasm lies Moerin?s, no, Magical Moerin?s, hideout: Nonne Satsuki Tristis. We don?t know what waits for us there, but there is no way the enemy is going to hand over Donut without a fight. Whatever they throw at us, we will beat it! The word ?Lose? is not in our dictionary!?

?Actually, it is.? Polaris said quietly. ?Page 417, second row in the Great Compendium of-?

She immediately stopped talking as Ruro shot her a sharp look.

?So, what is the strategy??, Chaore asked instead.

Ruro stared back at the bunny-girl in confusion.

?Strategy??

She looked down to her shoulder, where Matsuri was sitting.
If ferrets were capable of shrugging, Matsuri would probably have done it now.
Ruro lifted her head again and looked at Chaore once more with disapproval before turning away from us again.

?Charge, Magical★Librarian Squad!?, she shouted as she jumped off the cliff and started flying towards the other side of the chasm, where the final battle was awaiting.

Esifex and Roukan immediately flew right after her, the former laughing maniacally, the latter happily.

?So ?Strategy? is not in our dictionary as well it seems?, Chaore sighed as she brought her palm to her face.

?Page 1139?, Polaris muttered, before taking a few steps forward and jumping into the air herself.

However, Chaore immediately grabbed her arm and dragged her down to the ground again.

?You?re staying here with me, same with you, fish-girl!?, she said as she turned to me.

?Not like can fly anyway?

?Shouldn?t you two go after Ruro? She?ll be mad.?, I said.

Chaore let go off Polaris? arm.

?Oh, we are going, don?t worry??, the bunny girl paused for a second before continuing. ?Or rather, you should worry, because this whole situation is madness, but that?s not the point. The three of us are the only ones with some reason left, and we?re gonna make use of that.?

Polaris looked curious now.

?So you have a plan??, she asked.

?I do. And it?s simple really. Ruro and the other two are just gonna charge in without thinking, so we should use the distraction to sneak in from the back and somehow put an end to this.?, Chaore explained with a confident smile, then she looked at us.

Polaris and I nodded in agreement to the plan.
I wasn?t sure if I was gonna be of any use in a battle, but this still beat being dragged into the head-on assault that Ruro was leading.
Knowing her I would probably have ended up as bait anyway.

?Alright then, let?s move on!?, Chaore said as she reached out to me.

I grabbed her hand and felt my feet lifting from the ground.

?I will never get used to this?, I thought as I dangled from the bunny girls arm.

Polaris was flying right next to us, and below I could see the great chasm, reaching deep into the earth. Its bottom was swallowed by the darkness, no sunlight could reach that far down into the earth.

--------------------

In Moerin?s palace, things were getting busy.
Fairies were racing through the halls everywhere, filling the air with the sound of thousands of fluttering wings. Some were gathering in groups, preparing for what was to come, whilst other, bigger fairies, shouted orders at those groups.
In the midst of all this, a woman in a maid uniform made her way towards the throne room.
She stepped through the commotion quickly, but not without her usual dignity.
When she reached the throne, Moerin was already waiting for her impatiently.

?Mistress??, the woman said with a deep bow.

?Irmingard, what is the situation~? The fairies seem to be in an uproar~? Does that mean? ufufufufufu~?

?This seems to be the case. Our guards have spotted the Librarians, led by the Rurouni, crossing over the chasm. They appear to have found our hideout?, the maid explained calmly.

?Wonderful~?, the pink haired woman shouted happily.

?Uhm, Mistress. That means Six Blades and The Lost were defeated??

?Oh? that?s? regrettable? Anyway, what fun would it be to have this hideout and this army if I never got to use it~! Ufufufufu~!?

?? I suppose that is one way to look at it. So, what are your orders, Mistress? The fairies are already preparing to intercept the intruders.?

Moerin closed her eyes in thought for a while, then looked to the side, where the cage that held the Princess was standing.
As usual, Ana was kneeling in front of it, playing with Neko-Gappy from outside the cage, while Donut was sitting on the ground.

?Ana-chan~!?, Moerin called out to the young girl.

?Yes??

?It seems we have some visitors, how about you go prepare yourself and go greet them~??

The girl looked disappointed.

?But I?d rather play with Gapp-?

?Don?t make me hurl you into the sun, Ana-chan~?, Moerin said.

Despite wearing the brightest smile, her words were as sharp as a knife. Some nearby fairies squeaked and fled the room.

?Y-yes!?, Ana pressed the response out as her whole body was shivering, then made her way out of the room with unsteady steps.

Moerin turned back towards the maid in front of her.

?Irmingard, make sure to welcome our guests in an appropriate manner~. And take our doggy for a walk while you are at it~!?

?As you wish, Mistress?, the maid bowed once more before leaving the room as well.

For a while, only the hectic sounds of the fairies could be heard from the halls outside the throne room.
Then, a voice called out to Moerin.

?She is going to beat you.?

Moerin looked at the source of the voice.
It was Donut, who had stood up and was staring at Moerin confidently from within the cage, tightly clutching the golden bars.

?You know stand you have no chance against Ruro. She already beat two of your henchwomen!?, Donut shouted.

Moerin responded with a giggle.

?Oh you silly. silly Princess~. Of course she beat them~! I would have been really disappointed if she hadn?t~.?

?You sent them out knowing they would lose?. you sacrificed your friends???

?Awww, that sounds so mean~. But I guess it?s true, ehehehe~. You see, Ruro and me, we have something special~. It is our destiny to face each other in battle, there is no way she could lose before that happens~! And when she finally kneels before me, beaten and crying?. Ehehehehe~ Ufufufufufu~ AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA~!?, Moerin started laughing maniacally, her voice echoing numerously through the throne room.

In her cage, Donut sunk to her knees.

?You can?t lose, Ruro. Not to that madwoman. Please??

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Oh dear.  They're walking the dog.

I know where this ends.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
The Art Atelier has a dog? Aww, man. All we have is a rabbit.

* Esifex is shot

Alfred F. Jones

>strategy
:colbert:

Nice to see you picking this back up again, fish.

Dead Princess Sakana

The Art Atelier has a dog?
More like Moerin has a dog, really. Though she set up her hideout on Atelier-grounds, she's her own faction. The Atelier is more or less an anarchic bit of land where creativity flows freely. Fitting contrast to the neighboring dictatorship democracy of PSL  :derp:

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Fitting contrast to the neighboring dictatorship democracy of PSL  :derp:
FOR THE EMPERUROOOOOOOOOOOOO

OkashiiKisei

FOR THE EMPERUROOOOOOOOOOOOO

LIEBRAHREY MUHREENS

Spoiler:
The Librarians in Space Marine armor would be all kinds of awesome by the way.

I dare to believe Moerin's 'dog' isn't really a dog at all...

Does Ana-Chan refer to Anathe?

I like Moerin's depiction in this... and Polaris's... hell, everything in this fic is just great. :V
It was worth the wait~

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Insert Inception jokes here

Seventh Layer

A moment of panic almost seized Ruro, fearing the speeds they were falling at, until she remembered that Esi herself didn't fly, and she wouldn't intentionally smash her own mind – if it were even possible to harm herself – or Ruro's, while in this strange psychic landscape.

Despite the inertia, the fall was silent; there was no roar of air rushing past them. Esi didn't have to raise her voice to be heard.

“I've only been down this deep into my own mind a few times, and usually only while in a meditative trance. If I remember correctly, you're going to be on your own for a little while, until you can find the proper 'me' again. I'm going to be fragmented into the different parts of my own psyche; I don't know if this'll happen to you or not.”

The fear came back and settled down in Ruro's stomach. “Why exactly are we going into your subconscious, anyways?”

“I mentioned earlier the time-dilation, remember? At the uppermost level of the mind, time is more or less normal. You perceive things just fast enough for your brain to register it, document it, and move on to the next thing. Depending on your mental acuity, you may be easily overwhelmed or constantly bored because you don't have enough time, or too much time to deal with all the sensory input you're getting. As you get deeper into the mind, you get closer to instinct and reflex. Responses at this level happen without any conscious effort from your mind; things go much faster. Your subconscious, instinctual mind is often dormant, until you have a need to draw upon it. Then, it reacts, lightning fast – faster, even. Once it's done, it returns to dormancy with ease. The speed at which it registers things, in addition to how rarely it is actually active, combines to make for a very interesting environment. I don't know the exact measurements, though. How long were you wandering around in the layer you were in when you broke me out of my samadhi?”

“About two or three hours or so, at the most.”

“That was about two layers deep into my mind. For that amount of time, I'd say you've actually been out of your body for maybe a minute, if even that much. Possibly even only a few seconds. It's not an exact science, and I don't have any frame of reference for the upper layers.”

“What about your subconscious? Any idea how long we can be in there before time passes in the real world?”

Esi paused for a moment, and it felt like the speed they were falling at slowed, as well. “I'd say we could be in there for about a month or so for a minute in the real world. Again, I really don't know for sure. But the differences between layers – because Sa'kag? hasn't managed to fully infiltrate my subconscious yet – will give us a little extra time to come up with a plan. Or, at the very least, for me to get a little rest. Even in samadhi I was still fighting her off, though from a rather poor defensive position.”

Ruro absorbed the information in silence.

“Get ready. We're just about there, and that means you're gonna lose track of me for a bit.” The sense of inertia dropped almost completely now, and Esi released Ruro's hand.

They hovered, suspended over nothingness. Esi smiled warmly at Ruro. “Relax. It's not like you're going to have to go hunting after me again so soon after just finding me. I'll still be there, and cognizant of what's going on. You're just going to have more me's to deal with.”

“Like the one I saw up in the top layer?”

Esi's smile vanished. “What?”

The blackness faded to a dull gray, and Esi whipped her head around. “Ugh! Dammit. Tell me later!”

Ruro flinched; Esi had appeared to have cracked, as though she were a mirror on the brink of shattering. “Take your time looking for me; there's no need for a sense of urgency down here–”

The cracks throughout Esi's body opened up, and for a moment she was a floating silhouette of black, then she vanished.

The gray pulsated, and colors began to fill out in a rush. A sense of vertigo assaulted Ruro, as though she were being thrown forwards, and suddenly everything stopped.

The world was pastel in hue, but as Ruro looked around, the colors deepened, taking on more earthen hues, though around her peripheral vision she could see the color fade back to pastel.

She could hear music, she realized. There was a single tone, slowly descending, but she couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Abruptly the tone was twisted into a cacophony of noise. The volume quickly ramped up to an almost painful level, and Ruro clapped her hands to her ears. The sound was muffled slightly, but continued to blare, continued to get louder and louder.

Ruro squeezed her eyes shut tight enough to draw tears, and dropped to her knees, not completely certain when she'd gotten to 'solid' ground again.

A hand clapped onto her shoulder, and the sound stopped almost immediately. Only a single, simple beat was audible, and only just so.

“Hey! What's the matter?”

Ruro looked up and lowered her hands. Kneeling next to her was a young girl with brown hair, wide eyes, and a pair of soft headphones around her neck. “Huh?”

“Ooooh, you must be new here! I'm Habit. Who're you?”

Short one this time. Had a lot of shit going on IRL that's sapping my motivation to write. Trying to get it back.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Wheeeee

Repeated Actions

Ruro blinked at the girl. ?Habit? Are you part of Esi??

The girl tilted her head to the side. ?Aren't you??

Ruro rocked back on her ankles and sat down properly, stretching her neck side to side. ?No, I'm not. I'm Sakura, but most people call me Ruro.?

The girl hopped around Ruro's side and sat down in front of her. ?So you're from the outside? Whoooa. There aren't supposed to be people in here! What do you do outside??

Ruro smirked. ?I herd cats. And a rabbit. Why is it so noisy in here??

Habit frowned. ?I thought I was the only one who could hear the other songs in here, but I guess since you're not a part of the core you don't just ignore everyone else's songs. Listening to them all at once can be tough, though, so you should try not to.?

?It got quieter once you touched me. Any idea why??

Habit nodded energetically. ?It's cuz you're focusing on me now. If you're trying to focus on everything else at once, you'll hear all the songs in the core.?

Ruro's smile vanished, and her eyebrows met as she thought. I'm so used to paying such full attention to my surroundings. That'd be bad down here. The frown disappeared. Then again, I'm also fully capable of pouring all my focus into one target.

?So why don't you have a song??

Habit slouched back, propping herself up on her elbows. ?I have one, but it's very very quiet. It's a simple four/four time measure. More like a metronome than a song. It's so I can listen to all the other songs easier. Do you want to hear some of them??

Ruro, in response to Habit's lax and informal posture, folded her legs up Lotus style and twined her fingers in her lap. ?How many other songs are there?? Esi said it wouldn't hurt to slow down and relax a little while down here. She said she'd be cognizant of what's going on once I found the proper facet of her, so she'll be okay until then.

Habit reached up with one hand and pulled the headphones out from around her neck, and somewhere between her neck and the ground they'd turned into a small-scale gramophone. ?Well, there's bunches, you see. Some of the change, too, depending on the Core's emotions. Some of them are always the same, very constant. Like hers ? the Alabaster Seraph ? normally it's very slow and calm, until she wakes up.? Habit was pointing past Ruro, who mentally calculated the risk of pulling her focus off of Habit and turning around to see what the girl was pointing at, before finally glancing behind her.

?Don't focus on her too long. If she does wake up, her song gets loud. Like, 'holy crap where'd that come from' loud.?

In the distance was a pale behemoth, seated in what appeared to be a modest throne. Her eyes were covered by a shroud, head tilted forward so her chin was nearly touching her chest, but otherwise sitting fully back in the massive seat. Her arms were laid easily across the arm-rests, but her hands rested on two tools planted in front of the throne; her right hand laid atop the center of an ornate scale, and her left hand cupped the pommel of a massive broadsword. She was mouthing things, mumbling to herself, though Ruro couldn't hear her from the great distance.

Ruro turned back to Habit. ?What is she saying??

Habit threw a switch on the gramophone, and the crank to the side began to turn, driving the cylinder beneath the horn. ?She's singing along to her song. Some of the other Cores in here do the same thing; those ones you can't directly interact with. They'll look at you if you talk to them, but you can't interrupt their song or get them to acknowledge you beside a simple glance, and then they're back to what they're doing.?

Ruro nodded and listened to the music silently for a moment. ?That's a lot of different violins. And that sounds like a Sanskrit meditation chant.?

Habit grinned stupidly. ?Right on both counts! Esi has always had an affinity for violins, but she's been denying it lately.?

?What? Denying it? Why??

Habit's grin dropped into a frown for a moment, and she sighed. ?They're not loud enough for her. That's why I'm here. I listen to the things that are loud enough to drown out other songs, or find songs from outside that are quiet enough to tolerate. Violins just don't cut it for her any more, because while they can get shrill and loud, they're not... heavy, I guess, enough to block out anything else.?

?What's considered 'heavy', then??

Habit folded her legs up under her and sat upright once again. ?Stuff like horns, drums. Some piano songs. Cellos, double bass violins, things like that. The deeper range of sound.?

?So what does the Alabaster Seraph do, then, if this is her song??

?This is her song when she's asleep. She's the leader in charge of the Core.?

Ruro blinked at Habit. When she's asleep... when she's awake... reflexively, instinctually responding, then going dormant again. Leader of the 'Core'... is the Alabaster Seraph Esi's subconscious?

She glanced back down at the gramophone, listening to the song some more, though it hadn't changed much since Habit started playing it. Esi was as close to a Buddhist as a cynical, sarcastic mind-reader could be, and was very holistic. Sanskrit chants and Buddhist koans were right up her alley, but Ruro was a little more unfamiliar with them as she'd prefer. For all she knew, the chant the Seraph was singing could've been a lullaby, or it could've been the secret to life, buried behind a dead language deep inside a subconscious mind.

Once, a while back, Esi had explained the concept of the seven chakras, and mentioned something about the Seventh Chakra, the Gate Chakra, and how it may have related to her telepathy. Ruro regretted not paying full attention to it, as it seemed like it'd be an important connection to Esi's own mind and the Alabaster Seraph within.

?What's her song when she's awake, then??

Habit shook her head. ?I can't play it if she's not singing it. But, it is much 'heavier' than this. Wasn't always like that, but over time, it's changed because of Esi's...?

Ruro cocked an eyebrow. ?Esi's what??

Habit rapped her thumb against her lower lip. ?There really isn't a good word for it. The closest would be 'fears', or 'insecurities', or 'paranoia'.?

Fears? She's denying violins because they're not 'heavy' enough to drown other songs out, and it's changing her subconscious, because she's afraid of something? What is she afraid of within her own -

The realization hit home with the force of a lightning crash. It's not her own mind. It's everyone around her. Oh, God, Esi, is it truly that painful for you to be around others?

?Habit, I need to find the most conscious Core in here. Whichever one will help me get Esi back on track to what we need to take care of right now; her body is being hijacked by another mind, and it's trying to completely take over. I'm not sure what it intends to do with Esi's mind, but it can't be good. We can't afford to dally any further.?

Habit frowned, and it almost looked like she was going to cry. ?Do we have to? I was having fun. None of the other Cores talk to me like you do.?

?Habit, it's been a lot of fun, and I would love nothing more than to listen to more music with you, but we have to take care of Esi and Sa'kag? first.?

The smaller girl pouted and curled her lip. ?I guess. The closer you get to the Alabaster Seraph, the more responsive Cores you'll find. I'm really the only one who wanders this far out cuz the rest of them pick on me sometimes.?

Ruro masked her surprise, even though Habit wasn't looking at her. Her own subconscious attacks itself? Esi, you can always ask for help. You're going to just tear yourself apart if you keep pushing people away.

?Thanks, Habit. Enjoy your music, right?? Ruro rose to her feet.

?I will! And by the way ? you have a very nice song. It's a pretty flute. I'll let you listen to it if you come back later.?

?Wouldn't that be cheating, to hear my own song?? Esi said it was a bad idea for her to read her own mind.

Habit smirked. ?Nonsense. It's part of you. It only makes you better at being you if you hear it yourself.? She waved a farewell at Ruro, and nodded past her towards the Alabaster Seraph. ?Thanks for playing with me.?

?We don't stop playing when we grow old, we grow old when we stop playing. Esi told me that.?

Habit grinned again and picked up her headphones, slipping them back over her ears.

Dead Princess Sakana

I apologize in advance if there are some errors in the last part, it's 11:30 PM and I don't know what I'm doing anymore.
That said, this was a fun chapter to write, hope it's also a fun one to read~
Enjoy~

- Episode 4 Another: Cool Ace -

(BGM - A fairy fine Morning)

There was a certain sound that could only be heard once a day in the Library.
One could never be sure where the sound would occur, or when, only that it occurred at all was a certainty.
If anyone had been in the cooking book section right now, between the second and third rows of shelves, around where the compendium of baking-books could be found, they would have heard the sound.
It went like this:

*briiiinsmashshufflafwomp*

It was a sound that consisted of five parts, and it was produced by a peculiar little creature, hidden in a small fort made of books on one of the shelves.
First, *briiiing*, the sound of an alarm clock, cut short by the impact of a small fist, *smash*. Then one of the books was moved aside like a sliding door and the inhabitant of the fort came crawling out half-asleep, *shuffle*, only to fall off the edge of the shelf immediately.
The creature flapped its wings frantically to break the fall, *flap*, but too late. With a final *fwomp* it crashed onto the floor of the Library.

A small girl with long blue hair lay sprawled out on the floor, frosty wings sprouting from her back. The girl was an elemental fairy, and one of the inhabitants of the Library.
No one knew exactly where she came from, and how long she had already been living in the Library. There was speculation that she had lived in the catacombs below PSL before the current Library was even built, a dangerous place infested with papergators and other creatures right out of literary nightmares. Ruro meanwhile suspected that the girl had been one of the many fairies that had built the Library under her order some years ago, and that she simply had taken a liking to the place and decided to stay.
The fairy herself refused to answer which story was the truth, just as she refused to tell anything about her past at all. The only thing she gave the Librarians when they found her for the first time was a name: Iced Fairy.

Since then Iced had turned out to be an enthusiastic reader, bordering on the fanatic at times. She would spend the days wandering around the halls, gathering books left and right and carry them with her. Once she couldn?t hold any more books, she would choose a shelf and start building a book-fort, in which she then spent the rest of the day reading all the books she had brought with her, until she fell asleep. She repeated this procedure every single day, always starting from the *briiiinsmashshufflafwomp*. In doing so she also kept the Librarians busy, who had to search out all the books Iced moved around, and put them on the right shelves again once the little fairy was done reading.

Iced groaned as she picked herself off the floor. She adjusted her clothes and hair, then suddenly stopped right in the middle of binding her hair into a ponytail.

?It?s quiet, too quiet!? the fairy mumbled.

A library is, of course, supposed to be a quiet place, and this held true even for PSL. But what Iced experienced right now was another kind of silence.
Usually silence in the Library meant the absence of loud talking. There were still the sounds of people walking around, the rustling of paper as books were picked up and looked through, and occasionally the shrieks of the Librarians as Ruro went around flipping their skirts.
None of those sounds were present now though. The only thing Iced could hear was the wind, and as she moved from her position she found the source: A large hole in the ceiling, and beneath it on the ground an open book freed from its chains, all of its pages ripped out.

?Ruro?? Iced shouted.

No response.

?Roukan? Esifex? Anyone??

Without waiting for an answer, the fairy flapped her wings and soared off towards the front of the Library, skillfully weaving her way through the shelves. As she reached the lobby at the entrance of PSL, she made a sharp turn to the left and aimed for an inconspicuous door located there: the door to the Librarian?s living quarters.
Not bothering with such trivial things like doorknobs Iced used the full air-velocity of an unladen fairy and smashed through the door. She and the now unhinged door flew into the Library?s kitchen with a loud crash. Flapping her wings rapidly the fairy managed to stop herself and take a look at the room. There were remains of breakfast on the table, so the Librarians must at least have been here not too long ago.
Iced was about to go and search the private rooms adjacent to the kitchen, when she noticed something. In the middle of the table laid something unusual.

?A page?? Iced thought to herself. ?No, a letter!?

She flew closer to examine the mysterious notice, only to find out it was, in fact, addressed to her.

?Dear Iced,? she read.

?since I could not find you in time, and we have to leave right away, I leave you this message. I know you will come here and find it eventually, don?t think I didn?t notice the missing food in the freezer.?

Iced twitched as if someone had hit her. Plans to pin the crimes she was accused of on someone else were starting to form inside her head. Where were the murder mystery books located again?

?More importantly though, I have an order for you. We are on an important mission to rescue the lovely sugary Donut from the hands gnarly claws of the evil Moerin. I, Magical★Samurai Ruro-tan, shall lead the Magical★Librarian Squad into this fight! And you, dear Iced, shall be part of this great quest!?

Iced noticed that the handwriting was getting more erratic, Ruro had either been in a hurry, or extremely excited, when she had written this part.

?There is a formidable foe for you in Moerin?s forces: When Donut was kidnapped this girl commanded a wooden robot. I have no doubts that I could take it down with my blades alone, of course, but a just leader shares with her subordinates! So I shall give to you our ultimate weapon, I know you will be able to make excellent use of it given your ability. Once you are ready, take the sword I have left you. It is one of mine, and it shall point you the way to its master, to me.?

The fairy turned her gaze to the side, where she found a sheathed sword hanging neatly from one of the chairs.

?Now go, Iced, and fight with us, for Justice!?

Iced read the rest of the latter. It contained a set of short, explanations and instructions regarding the ?ultimate weapon? Ruro had mentioned.
And there, written in another handwriting, was a small note scribbled in the bottom corner of the page:

?Also, bring that damn book so we can grab the pages and end this madness! ? Chaore?

Iced frowned at this line.
Book? Which one?
There were a lot of books in the Library, that was its purpose after all.
She stared at the note in silence for a while, then something clicked in her mind: She remembered the empty book she had passed on the way here.
Iced contemplated her situation.
She enjoyed her calm days of reading one book after another, fighting was not her area of expertise. But it seemed like her intervention was inevitable this time, if she wanted things to go back to normal.
The fairy let out a small sigh, then she grabbed the sword Ruro had left her, as well as the letter, and flew out into the lobby again. She made her way back to the open book and slowly reached out to it.
Iced closed her eyes in anticipation as she touched the book, but nothing happened.

?Huh?? she let out a sound of surprise. ?Must be because the pages are missing??

With those words, she grabbed the empty cover and stuffed it into her skirt, which she had personally modified to be capable of holding numerous books.
Iced pulled out the letter again, checking the instructions Ruro had written down for her.

?1. Pull the lever under the reception desk?

Without hesitation the fairy fluttered over to the reception desk in the lobby, and crawled under it. It took her a bit of searching to find a loose wooden panel hidden in the dark under the desk. Under it was a lever that the small girl pulled down with all her might.
Behind her she heard mechanical sounds and she turned around just in time to catch the wall behind the desk sliding to the side and exposing a stairway downwards.
Iced looked at the stairs skeptically. The Library did not have a basement, so those stairs could only lead to the catacombs. Iced was not keen on any encounters with papergators or doberpoems, who considered fairies to be an excellent meal at any time of the day, so she was extremely cautious as she set foot on the stairs.
However, she soon noticed she would have to correct some of her assumptions about the Library.
The stairs she was climbing down right now were new and shiny, not old like the ones that led to the catacombs. The same was true for the walls around her, which seemed to have been constructed around the same time as the Library itself.
In other words: The Library did in fact have a basement, only that no one knew about it, except Ruro.
As soon as she reached the end of the stairs and opened the door she found there, she also understood why. Iced looked at the second point of the instructions again:

?2. Go to the Command Center?

There was no word more fitting for the room the fairy had entered. She stood in a round room equipped with numerous mechanisms that she did not know the purpose of. It was almost like something she would read about in a science fiction book, were it not for the lack of fancy modern electronics. Instead, Iced saw pumps and pipes, copper cogs, iron levers with wooden knobs on them, all arranged around a big, comfortable-looking armchair in the middle of the room. And there, on the wall in front of the chair, was the biggest book Iced had ever seen.
Her eyes sparkled as she noticed it, she had often dreamt about books of such enormous size. The book was mounted on the wall, opened right in the middle so that one could look directly at the large pages when sitting in the chair. However, to Iced?s surprise, the pages were completely empty.
Would she have to use those mechanisms to read it? She glanced at the letter again.

?3. Grab the Origami-Hammer and the keys, fetch a Sealed Book
4. Put the book in the Magic Converter?

Iced looked around the room, and spotted what could only be the Converter Ruro was talking about.
Behind the chair stood a large metal sphere held in place by numerous pipes that led into the ground underneath it. It almost looked like a metallic spider, with a hatch on its front, and next to the hatch, a small hammer and a key-ring.
Iced grabbed the hammer, which she assumed was the Origami-Hammer. Inspecting it closely she noticed it was skillfully folded out of a single sheet of paper. She also felt a strong magic infused in the hammer.
Now the girl had to find a Sealed Book. She remembered there had been some commotion recently surrounding one of those highly dangerous works of literature, somewhere in the so-called NSFW-section of the Library. The ruckus the Librarians had made back then had ruined her day of reading gardening-books.
Iced grabbed the keys and flew off towards the NSFW-section, and using her fairy-senses she quickly found a large concentration of magic within the area. As she closed in on it she could already hear the rattling of the chains that the book was bound with.

?Hiyaaa!?

Without stopping once Iced flew around the corner and dashed towards the book, the hammer raised high above her head. As soon as she reached the Sealed Book, she swung the hammer down.

*Bonk*

Silence. The book that had been struggling until a moment ago was now completely still, giving the impression of a perfectly normal, albeit rather large, almanac.

?I just knocked out a book?? Iced thought to herself.

There was no time to waste, so the fairy pulled out the keys and opened the chains that confined the book to its pedestal, while leaving those locked that kept the book itself from opening. Once she was done, she grabbed the book by the chains and carried it off back towards the Command Center.
Once there, Iced opened the hatch on the Converter and threw the Sealed Book into its depths with a groan.

?Phew, that was heavy?, the fairy sighed. ?Now what next??

?5. Hit the Main Activation Switch?

That was the kind of instruction Iced liked, in books something like this always promised entertaining results. She looked around and her gaze found a large button right below the giant book on the wall. The fairy squealed as she saw the button?s color: Red.
Her frosty wings fluttering happily, Iced ran over to the button and smashed her small fist down on it.

At once the Magic Converter awoke. It was filled with a blue light as the machine started sucking out the enormous amounts of magic that the Sealed Book was holding. Then one by one, the pipes all around the machine lit up as the light flowed through them. Pumps started to move and cogs started turning, and finally the ground beneath Iced?s feet began to shake violently.
The little fairy barely managed to stay on her feet and immediately flew to the safety of the chair in the middle of the room.
As she seated herself, Iced was caught by surprise again: The large book on the wall was glowing blue as well. As she watched expectantly, the glow faded and the pages were now completely black. However, that only lasted for a few moments, as the shaking grew stronger and suddenly the darkness on the pages got pushed away by bright colors. Iced let out a groan and shielded her eyes at the sudden light from the book. She squinted to see what was happening, only to gasp a second later.
What the book in front of the girl showed, was the world outside the Library. She had read about this in a book, the author had called it a ?screen? there, a device to monitor the outside without any windows.

After what felt like an eternity, the shaking stopped, and Iced wondered just what she was supposed to do now. She looked at the letter again.

?6. To the Rooftops!?

Well, that was not really helpful. The fairy looked around the room again, trying to find anything that could give her a clue as to what exactly just happened. Then her eyes stopped on the screen-book in front of her.

?It may be a strange device, but it?s also a book, so?? she thought.

The girl quickly flew over to the large book and touched it without hesitation. Immediately a wave of thoughts and information washed through Iced?s mind. She swayed for a moment, but quickly regained her composure.
Now she knew why Ruro had given her of all people this mission: Iced had a special ability regarding books, one that allowed her alone to execute Ruro?s plans.

Words hold power, this was a universal truth, and books, as accumulations of words, consequently were compressed power, confined between leather covers. For most books the power they held was neglectable.
However, Iced was different. She only needed to touch a book to awaken its latent magical powers, which were always dependent on the content of the book. When Iced touched a book about cooking, her character would turn to that of a snobbish five-star cook, and she would be capable of preparing the most exquisite meals. When she touched a detective novel her mind grew a hundred times sharper and she developed a sudden craving for smoking a pipe. All of those changes disappeared the moment she let go off the book, while general knowledge about the content written in the book remained in her memory. She called this ability ?Speed-Reading?, though she preferred to experience books the traditional way, reading them at a normal pace.

This was the ability Iced had used just now when she had touched the large book. At once she had gained knowledge about the construction of the whole construction of the mechanism she had activated, and while she had forgotten most of the details again, she knew her general situation:
The ultimate weapon of PSL was not something she could take with her.
It was the Library itself.
When she had activated the Converter, it had begun to fuel a giant contraption, and the Library had taken on a new form. The parts of the building had shifted, transformed and rearranged themselves, until they had reached the current form: A giant robot.
The room where Iced was located, which had formerly been underground, was now the highest point of the robot, forming its head, with the book-screen serving as the eyes. The Library was standing on two legs and had grown two arms that ended in gigantic fists. And from its back, the robot sprouted four large wings, made from magically infused paper that would be capable of withstanding fire, water and most other forms of damage with ease.

Iced let herself sink into the command chair and took a deep breath. This was beyond everything she had expected when she had found Ruro?s letter earlier. But it was too late to go back now. She had awoken the sleeping giant, and there was only one way to go: Forward.
Not like she had any idea how to safely transform this thing back again anyway.
The fairy stood up again and flew out of the room. There was something she would have to do before leaving. She navigated her way through the Library, noticing in gravity inside the Library seemed to have changed as well, since not a single book had fallen from its place.
The girl checked around different sections of the library, occasionally grabbing a book and stuffing it away somewhere in her clothes.
Finally, Iced rushed over to the science fiction section, and towards one specific shelf. Sliding her finger along the spines of the books, she searched for something specific. When she finally found it and pulled it from the shelf, her ability immediately took effect. The fairy?s calm face changed into a wide grin, and her wings started flapping faster in excitement.
She had kept this one for last, since she had suspected that once the character-change took effect she would not have cared about gathering the other books anymore.
The title of the book was: ?Compendium of Mecha Pilots"

?I?m gonna beat those bastards up! They think they can stop me? Not as long as I have this machine!? Iced screamed through the empty Library as she made her way back to the Command Center.
Once there she swung herself into the chair and, without a moment of hesitation, grabbed the controls in front of her. One pull of a lever later the Library-turned-robot powerfully beat its wings, at first slowly, then faster and faster. At the same time it started running, the earth shaking under its feet. And then, with a final jump, the robot took to the air, gliding away towards the place where the Librarians were fighting against the forces of Moerin.

?Iced? no... Cool Ace, moving out! I?m coming to get you, suckers!?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Goddammit. Both of you. Eshi's is awesome as always, I like your interpretations of the subconscious.

On the other hand, GODDAMMIT SAKANA!

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
doberpoems

:getdown:

PS I'm at like number 15 for WMaL entries, not unlucky 13 D:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:42:56 PM by Esifex »

Dead Princess Sakana

PS I'm at like number 15 for WMaL entries, not unlucky 13 D:
It was too late at night for me to bother with updating your story-info as well. You can actually do that by yourself, even :V
You're a Librarian, just edit the OP :V

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Totally forgot I could do that. :derp:

Dead Princess Sakana

So... 15? More like 21, wouldn't you say, Esi?  :]
Man, a total of 43 chapters combined in this whole thread by now, we are good, even if our pace sucks  :D

OkashiiKisei

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
>Cool Ace
>library sized mecha

Bring it BV
I can take ya even if I'm out matched 100 kilos to 1 gram, as you miss 100 percent of the shots you take and you lose anything you quit! And there is nothing in my life I regret!

Spoiler:
I'm so dead I don't even x_x
Also Awesome Story so far for both of you esi and Sakana! :3

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Appreciate that, man. As I am currently without my primary computer, with all its distractions, I hope to get more hammered out.  Admittedly not via my nook, which is how I am currently posting. :(

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Hey wait, didn't Sakana say he wanted to try to make the Magical Librarian Story his NaNoWriMo entry? It's not November anymore, you're supposed to be done with that by now!
And the MotK Murder Mystery! And the -

* Esifex is murdered by a giant Library Mech stepping on him

Welp, mystery solved :colonveeplusalpha:

Dead Princess Sakana

I posted two chapters in November, that's like 500% output compared to the usual rate or something..... >_____<

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
:D

Just :D
ilu sakana-tan

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: The Library of MotK 43 ~ What makes a Librarian 22
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2011, 06:43:56 AM »
Mercy Within

Ruro pointed her feet towards the Alabaster Seraph and started walking. The terrain didn't seem to have any features to it, but as she looked around she could see faint outlines of more mesas. When she tried to look directly at them, they faded out, turning instead into tranquil waters. As her gaze wandered, tones and melodies played in her head, fading into some other tune before she could make out more than a few measures.

She was still just under a league away from the Seraph when she ran into the first set of Cores after Habit. She nearly walked past them; because she was getting another headache from having multiple songs marching through her head, she'd started focusing on the throned giant. The Cores only caught her attention because one was sobbing and whimpering to herself, while the other was muttering obscenities.

?I shouldn't have feared him so much, and then it was too late, and he was always just right there, I could've gone to visit him whenever but I never did because I thought he was scarier than he really was, and it was just like Jack, I could've spent more time or cherished the time I spent with him when I did instead of feeling out of sorts, oh God I was so graceless and ungrateful the entire time, and then it was too late, and I wasted all my time, time I won't get back, and, and, and, oh, God!?

The sobbing Core let out a wail, trying to double over and rest her head on her knees from her seated position, but the Core behind her was more or less holding her upright, by holding her hands over the others' ears, a bitter expression across her face.

The lucid one glared up at Ruro as she stopped to look at them. ?What the fuck do you want?? She took one hand and covered the crying Core's eyes, holding her upper arm against the ear she'd just exposed. ?Leave her alone. Nobody wants to fucking leave her alone, they always want to fucking pick on her, as if things aren't already bad enough for her.?

Ruro held her hands up, palms out. The universal sign for 'I come in peace, calm down.' ?I'm curious. I don't want to pick on her, but instead would like to know what's the problem??

?...so angry all the time because no one ever makes the time for her and she feels attacked more often than she doesn't and I'm not helping her at all...?

The glare lessened, but only barely. ?She's Regret. I'm Vanguard. I protect her from further negativity. She has enough on her plate.?

Ruro nodded. ?I think I know why. She's worried about everything, and everyone, all at once. Am I right??

?...and always feels overshadowed, like she's not doing enough that she could be doing, and her paranoia doesn't help her but she tries so hard, harder than everyone around her, and she does such good work but she never accepts herself or the good she does or how well she does it...?

Vanguard blinked in surprise, then hardened her face back into a glare. ?Isn't it obvious? She has to look out for everyone, because they have a hard time standing on their own.?

Ruro sat down and calmly folded her legs lotus-style. ?She wasn't always Regret, was she??

?No shit. That's common knowledge. You should know that, shouldn't ? wait... you're not supposed to be in here, are you??

Ruro shook her head. ?Nope. I'm Sakura, the Head Librarian that Esi works for. She pulled me in here.?

Vanguard raised an eyebrow. ?Well, no... she was Mercy, before.?

So they can change. Fascinating. ?Mercy stems from compassion. She worried about everyone, always, and since Esi can only be in one place at a time, she started feeling guilty for all the times she couldn't be around to help everyone else. Guilt turned Mercy into Regret.?

?...wasn't sure if she'd ever really be accepted or recognized, and thinks that she isn't doing enough, and the seed of doubt and depression are deep inside her and they're eating away and she doesn't even know it yet and won't know it until it's too late...?

Vanguard blinked at her. Regret shifted under her arms, and bobbed back against Vanguard's chest. Her cheeks were shining from light caught on her tears, and even in the brief moment before Vanguard was able to press her forearm against Regret's eyes again, fresh tears ran down her face anew. Ruro almost lunged forward to hug the Core, as pitiful and wretched as she looked.

Vanguard buried her face in Regret's hair, and her shoulders shuddered.

?And you are starting to turn, as well, aren't you? You keep feeling that you're not doing enough for Regret.?

?...it's not a cry you can hear at night, it's not somebody who's seen the light, it's a cold and broken hallelujah, cast aside in favor of spite, abandoned and neglected, health and happiness forgotten...?

?Vanguard. You have Regret's best interests in mind, obviously, and Regret ? no, Mercy. Mercy has everyone else on her mind. You can't do everything for Mercy, just as Mercy can't do everything for everyone else. But it's the thought, that intention, the drive to help others, that is the important part. Mercy wants to help others ? that compassion is never a bad thing. You want to help Mercy. The same thing applies; as long as you're there for Mercy, the both of you should know that you'll be alright. Just trying to hide Mercy from everything that makes her Regret won't help her. All it'll do is keep her from seeing any of the good she does, any of the things that can help her feel better about what it is that she does. She doesn't need to hide from it all.?

?...if I make another move, there'll be no more turning back, because everything will change, if I make another move, if I take another step, then it all will fall apart, there'd be nothing of me left... I've forgotten how to see, I've forgotten if I can, if I open up my eyes there'd be no more going back, because everything will change...?

Ruro leaned forward, planting her fists on her knees for support. ?Vanguard, listen to Mercy. She even knows this. You can change, for the better. The two of you don't need to suffer like this. You don't need to be so bitter.?

Vanguard popped her head up just enough to glare over the top of Regret. ?The fuck would you know about what we have to go through??

?I wouldn't. But I know Esi, and I know that she's compassionate to a fault. I know where Mercy is coming from with this. She doesn't have to be Regret anymore. She can go back to being compassionate Mercy, and you won't have to be a guardian, but instead a guide, a companion to Mercy. You could be Justice, if it would help Mercy to deem what is worth her effort.?

Vanguard's glare held for a moment before faltering.

?...and the world is like a shining diamond, the way it glitters if you polish it right, and if the light should turn and leave you blinded, take the dream and give it one more try, as hope should never die...?

The glare finally shattered, in a spectacular fashion. She fell back away from Regret, landing heavily on her bottom, cartwheeling her arms until she caught herself, wailing louder than Regret had been between her rants. Regret twisted around from her kneel and grabbed Vanguard around the shoulders, pulling her into a tight hug, and the two of them sobbed into each others shoulders.

I hope I didn't just break anything in Esi's mind by doing that. It needed to be done, though. With any luck, Vanguard will now help Esi focus on herself instead of neglect her own well-being for the sake of everyone around her.

?You'll be fine as long as you watch each others back. You are the foil to each other, and despair should never take hold over you as long as you keep an eye on your other.? Ruro rose to her feet, feeling slightly awkward. She was running out of motivational things to say to the Cores, and it seemed like they were mostly ignoring her now anyways.

She paced away from them slowly, to make sure they weren't going to call back out to her before she moved on. A warm smile spread across her face. Esi's subconscious could be helped, even if it had to be done from within. Now, if only she could do something about Sa'kag?.

Kudos to you if you spot the obvious song references in there :derp:

Alfred F. Jones

?...You could be Justice, if it would help Mercy to deem what is worth her effort.?
BECOME JUSTICE

... I've felt before that some of this story must be difficult to write for you, Esi, but now that feeling comes home in full force.