Author Topic: Is Mima more of an American thing?  (Read 23364 times)

Re: Is Mima more of an American thing?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »
Mima will return after ZUN consumes the strongest beer in the history of the world. Discuss.
No, that'll just bring us more Cirno.

Not that that would be a bad thing, mind you.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:24 PM »
Mima seems bigger than she is because her fans are much, much louder (and more obnoxious as a result) than any other character's fans.

The Mima fandom is the Touhou equivalent of those people who think that Tupac Shakur is still alive and is releasing new rap albums from his secret hideout.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »
MIMA IS STILL ALI-wait...
Wotters gonna' wot

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »

Not that that would be a bad thing, mind you.

Wait a moment, Then Cirno must obviously be Mima in disguise! It all makes sense now.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:15 PM »
It's worth noting on that poll that, yeah, Mima is way down there.  ...But... she's also the highest-ranked of the PC-98 cast.  Unless I missed someone.

the combination yaoi fan-Touhou fan is rare, and the combi with artistic capabilities is a lot more eerie. (tra-la-la n_n)
Hi.  Artistic capability is questionable (I write more than anything), but hi all the same.

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »
The Mima fandom is the Touhou equivalent of those people who think that Tupac Shakur is still alive and is releasing new rap albums from his secret hideout.
thank you for confirming my point of view from my former post.

;D

Wait a moment, Then Cirno must obviously be Mima in disguise! It all makes sense now.
Spoiler:
Cirno will die, and she will reincarnate as the strongest spirit.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »
I think using a popularity contest is a bad idea and she didn't do that badly. It's not a what character would you like to see more of contest, it's popularity, so it'll be based on characters that have been in games people actually remember. A lot of the Mima fanbase is based on the fact that she's forgotten about.

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:51 AM »
I do believe that one reason for many Windows characters being more popular than Mima is that most of them have specific themes or appeal to specific... niches (*cough*), which is what Japanese tend to like from a character if what I get from the otaku scene is correct.

Mima is just generally awesome, which doesn't seem to get much currency over there. No, AWESOME is not a valid 'theme'.

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 03:06:35 AM »
Rosie Rune:
I thought the popularity poll was a good indication of what character they want in a game. For example you would have a tough time convincing me that the person who made this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQq5Nzo5BDI isn't a big Sakuya fan.

Recon 5:
Explain this awesome. For example I know Utsuho is awesome but I can attribute that to stuff like her arm cannon.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 04:12:16 AM »
What's the deal with Mima's popularity anyway? She's dead and she likes to mess with Reimu for fun.

So does the rest of the cast, minus the dead part :V

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
Mima is a total baddass and Zun is probably saving her for the final boss of the last Touhou game since she's Reimu's arch nemesis (Realistically, he can't make Touhou games forever, sooooo yeah.)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
Where did the "arch nemesis" thing come in? The way she acts after SoEW (the last time she was an actual threat), she seems to just like harassing her. Really now, if Mima were back she'd just look bad next to Yukari, who does the trolling thing so much better.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
Mima is just like any other character, she just hapens to be a huge bitch and everyone thinks that's cool.

Danmaku wise, she's exactly like windows Marisa, Stars and lasers everywhere.
Wotters gonna' wot

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »
she's cool cuz she has green hair, and sanae is dumb.

No serious, she probably gets bonus points among fans for being the first major Villain.

ebarrett

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
Her "awesome" credentials don't go beyond "being evil but not really evil" and "pestering Reimu" - something that nowadays is the bare minimum to run for a spot as a stage 2 boss.

nintendonut888

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2009, 10:20:46 PM »
she's cool cuz she has green hair, and sanae is dumb.

No serious, she probably gets bonus points among fans for being the first major Villain.

Oh really, that would mean they care about pre-EoSD outside of her.

I realize I'm just being a troll, but it really annoys me how her fans paint Mima as an all-powerful badass with TWILIGHT SPARK and shit, when I bet only a small percentage have ever played SoEW, reached Mima and collapsed into a stupor when they realize she doesn't even HAVE a laser attack.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Chaore

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 10:22:35 PM »

I realize I'm just being a troll, but it really annoys me how her fans paint Mima as an all-powerful badass with TWILIGHT SPARK and shit, when I bet only a small percentage have ever played SoEW, reached Mima and collapsed into a stupor when they realize she doesn't even HAVE a laser attack.

Instead she calls a bunch of lines and then rams into you. That impressed me a lot more than a twilight spark ever would've.  :V

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »
I'm British not American. Argument break.

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 11:22:04 PM »
Nah, more Sanae :>

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »
Yeah I always wondered where they got that spark attack from, since the closest thing she has in any of the actual games is her charged tackle move (and she has no spark of any kind in PoDD or HRP, either).

nintendonut888

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
Well, to be fair, she has those cute little ineffectual lasers in one attack in HRtP, where you can just stand under her and avoid the whole thing. :V

And they got it from Touhou Soccer, and got the odd idea that Touhou Soccer isn't an exaggeration of everyone's abilities.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »

That's exactly it, I'm sure some people fancy themself as a hardcore original Touhou fan by being a Mima fan. She's the most significant character in pre-Windows Touhou that is UNIQUE to pre-windows Touhou. Of course, some people might actually like her as a character. I personally don't pretend to like any of the pre-windows ones yet since I don't even know what they say since I haven't seen any translations for them >=P.

But we all know you don't like her simply cuz she has no legs, you dirty boy.

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2010, 12:14:19 AM »
And they got it from Touhou Soccer, and got the odd idea that Touhou Soccer isn't an exaggeration of everyone's abilities.
I knew that much, but I'm curious where they got the idea for the move in general... Heck, she even has a spark combo with Yuka, making it seem like the two had any connection whatsoever (well, aside being playable in MS, but as far as I can tell the two have never met face-to-face). Did they just think since Marisa had one Mima needs a bigger one?

Chaore

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2010, 12:26:02 AM »
I knew that much, but I'm curious where they got the idea for the move in general... Heck, she even has a spark combo with Yuka, making it seem like the two had any connection whatsoever (well, aside being playable in MS, but as far as I can tell the two have never met face-to-face). Did they just think since Marisa had one Mima needs a bigger one?

Its probably because I don't think anyone involved ever played SOEW. Twilight Spark only exists because they had no idea what at all to give Mima for an attack alone, so, playing off the fact they had her have a combo attack with Yuka, They give Mima another spark. A huge one.

I guess they also did it because yeah 'Marisa's mentor who is obviously superior' shit. It probably seemed stupidly fitting to them, than say any of her actual attacks.

I had a good laugh when I realized the entire scenario she gets it in highlights the fact shes a shitty player in the game. 'WAIT YUKA WHERE ARE YOU GOING I CAN'T DO AN- oh hai marisa about that face off...'

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2010, 12:29:43 AM »
I guess they also did it because yeah 'Marisa's mentor who is obviously superior' shit.
That would require either Marisa or Mima to be the original creator of the Master Spark, which even most who've never played PC-98 would know is not the case. =V

Chaore

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »
That would require either Marisa or Mima to be the original creator of the Master Spark, which even most who've never played PC-98 would know is not the case. =V

I'm pretty sure I made my case they obviously probably HAVEN'T. Given, Yuka does straight up say hers is the original. I guess they actually thought 'Hey, Marisa steals shit. So should Mima!'

Wylfred

• The Black Knight.
  • The Eternally Bored Butler
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »
Her lazor appeared in  mystic square as her bomb.

Chaore

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
Her lazor appeared in  mystic square as her bomb.

My god I want to punch you, obvious a joke as that was.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »
This is the single greatest description of the Mima fandom that has ever existed and will ever exist.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2010, 06:25:39 PM »
This is the single greatest description of the Mima fandom that has ever existed and will ever exist.

This.