Author Topic: The Orreries Sun  (Read 7383 times)

Usually Dead

The Orreries Sun
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »
My website has a new feature!

A friend of mine, Mima, needed some place to put his new article series, which reviews various pieces of Touhou-related media. Since I had the web space, we decided a match made in heaven deserves a new section on usuallydead.com.

As thus was added The Orreries Sun. In this column, Mima and any co-authors that he and I sanction will give their thoughts on what's in the Western Touhou scene. Their first article features our mutual friend AhKi, and together they talk about the new doujin album from O-Life. Though there's only one article up now, Mima expects to have a new one posted every two weeks.

The column can be found at:

www.usuallydead.com -> The Orreries Sun

Since my website has no commenting features, please use this thread to respond and discuss to what's being said in TOS. I'll also update this thread every time a new article is posted.

Please, have a read, discuss, and enjoy!

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
Re: The Orreries Sun
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:05 AM »
I'm Mima and I approve this message.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:59:51 AM »
O-Life
FUCK YEAR

SOLD

Very nice read and I agree with a lot of Marisa's notes, and definitely that the PC98 were the best in the album. However O-Life said that they wanted to try something different and they were going back to what they usually do afterwards. Mima just sounded like she was ranting at how an album that was supposed to be mainly metal, was metal :V (most of the songs have "metal" in their names even)

I'm biased because I just fucking love them and if they threw out a pile of garbage I would roll in it, so my opinion wouldn't be the most accurate, but still. Ever since the bobblehead PV I expected an album of O-Life metal and what I got was O-Life metal + a bit of ew grunge + HOLY YES. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said either, but I could tell that you were both getting tired of the album halfway through.

Have you listened to the trials for the next album?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:21:16 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:46:11 AM »
The main problem I had with the whole metal aspect was that the start of the tracks always sounded better than after the track had turned into rock. They had some really nice/awesome sounding stuff that just turned to generic trash. Had they not done the whole metal aspect this track would have been amazing.

That said, the trial you posted does show a huge deal of promise and we shall hopefully be reviewing it when it is eventually released.

Also, during the 24 hours this article was previously posted, the point regarding the album being exclusively about metal was brought to my attention only at that point in time. (I can't read Japanese. ?\(?_o)/? )

Point above still stands though about it, no love for it since it trashed otherwise lovely songs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:50:54 AM by Mima »

Usually Dead

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
A new article is up! This one reviews 東方ミッドナイト MAXIMUMTUNE EXTRA STAGE 零. Take a look! Same location as always, on usuallydead.com -> The Orreries Sun

AhKi

• Love Sign
  • Fweem
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
I'm glad I liked that album or I'd have wasted a good saturday and some. o/
The old man the boat.
The cotton clothing is made of grows in Mississippi.

Some sentences are better than others. These are those sentences.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:57:34 PM »
That said, the trial you posted does show a huge deal of promise and we shall hopefully be reviewing it when it is eventually released.

Now I've heard it, I think I can review the new album simply by posting my other O-Life review with the name-specific parts and rock parts removed. It had massive potential, the crossfades were pretty good, the finished album was terrible. No rush to do a real review of it currently though. :<

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »
So yeah, there's a new review this week. Time Limit ~Momentary~ is this week's subject.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »
Touhou Midnight Maximum Tune II, an old favourite of mine, is the topic for this newly posted review.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
New release. This time I talk about final boss themes in the series.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
While I do enjoy reading your articles, I can never read them without feeling like you're barely resisting the urge to shout WINDOWS SUCKS EVERYTHING POST-PC-98 SUCKS ONLY PC-98 IS ANY GOOD GRRRRRRRR.

I mean the PC-98 games are good, but...well, maybe it's just me that gets that feeling.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Windows games have their hits and misses just like the PC-98 games have. Windows remixes outnumber PC-98 ones by like 20:1, as a result the PC-98 remixes tend to be of a much higher quality to stand out and so whereas Windows has a lot of very poor remixes and needs to do something special to stand out, the small amount of PC-98 remixes have less competition and stand out easier.

I do like some Windows track as much as PC-98 tracks, I'm just more vocal about stuff that annoys me I.E. tracks that bring nothing new or are of a bad quality. :3

Usually Dead

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 03:51:15 AM »
Announcement!

A question was posted here a moment ago asking why I'm no longer a moderator of Fanworks. That post was removed, so that I could make a public announcement here.

I've asked to be removed from the MoTK staff. This was because of certain disagreements between myself and other staff members that cannot be resolved.

This is not a bad thing though! I'm still a member of MoTK and I'll still participate and create content like I always have. So take it easy!  :D