Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kolme  (Read 61853 times)

Hatate Quest Kolme
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »
>You are Hatate Himekaidou, owner and editor of the Gensokyo newspaper Kakashi Spirit News.
>Your day began with the notation of the unexpected and extended absence of Aya Shameimaru from Youkai Mountain, and you took it upon yourself to locate your wayward friend/rival. To this end, you drafted Ranger captain Momiji Inubashiri to aid you. During the course of your investigation, you had a somewhat unpleasant encounter with a Dai-tengu newspaper supporter Tsubaki Ayatsuji, in which more than a few veiled threats were exchanged between you and she. You're quite certain she was up to something, she didn't break into Aya's house for no reason, but thus far have been unable to come up with any reason for her actions, beyond the knowledge that she and Aya are not on the best of terms with each other.
>During your travels off of the mountain, you were dragooned by Yukari Yakumo into investigating an odd defensive layering around Marisa Kirisame's home. Your investigation eventually took you to the Cobalt Keep, hope of several new arrivals to Gensokyo. Among the individuals you met down there was one Ranka Kitajima, a wind youkai who is quite possibly the most beautiful individual you have ever laid your eyes upon. Immediately you set about the task of trying to pitch her a little woo, only to find the youkai had more than one strong opinion about the tengu race. This led to a sometimes heated discussion between you and her about the philosophies and personality exhibited by your people. You found that she truly was trying to understand your point of view, as you tried to understand hers, but there was a fairly wide gulf between you and her. You had a sense that she really was trying her best to make you understand, but she simply wasn't explaining herself clearly enough. You hope to have another chance to see her again.

>These hopes have been put on the back burner for the moment, however. With the help of the steward of the Cobalt Keep, Celes d'Arquien, and the archmage Patchouli Knowledge, you, Momiji and Celes gained entry into Marisa's house and found the magical book she had stolen from the Cobalt Keep. The book, however, was either some kind of trap, or had a trap placed upon it, and in a wave of magical power, the three of you were swept away from your world. When you came to, you found yourself almost sixteen years in the future, and you're starting to believe that it's a different Gensokyo than yours as well. The Cobalt Keep, which in your time is home to a collection of hopeful, friendly people, is in this world a place of dread and horror that not even Reimu herself would not approach. You have met Alice Margatroid, who has a young daughter of about fourteen years and is a more social figure than in your time, owning a sewing circle which caters to many members. Including, most bizarrely, a Yamabushi tengu. Apparantly, in that missing sixteen year span, some kind of revolution occured that has made the tengu an open society, freely interacting with non-tengu. You suspect this would make Ranka very happy. And somewhere in this world, there is another Hatate Himekaidou, whom you would very much like to meet.

>Presently, you, Momiji and Celes are at the Hakurei shrine, speaking with Reimu, who in this time seems much more prosperous than in yours. Marisa is also here, and you have been gathering information on this timeline while you wait to speak with Marisa, who in all likelihood was caught up in the same magical trap that sent you here.

>"Why's that? Taking pictures usually doesn't hurt."

>"It does when you take pictures of something you shouldn't see." Reimu counters, sipping on her tea. "You try to look at that place from here, your camera might explode. Or worse."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Hatate Quest Kolme
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
>"Yeesh. I'm surprised you haven't leveled the place, then."

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »
>"Yeesh. I'm surprised you haven't leveled the place, then."

>"I can't. No one can. But even if I could, I wouldn't."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:48 PM »
>"...Okay. I have to know what's different now. I mean, I won't report or anything, but this is a far cry from the place I just visited like an hour ago."
>"Not that I'm going to go, of course, because it sounds like all kinds of suicide. But what happened there? Do you have any idea, Celes?"

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »
You know ... we're sort of assuming the difference between our worlds started circa Night of Rage but it may be worth exploring the history to see if there are differences prior to that as well.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Oh I hadn't assumed anything with regards to that. Just that it's not really important if Perfect Cherry Blossom went down any differently at this point.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »
>"...Okay. I have to know what's different now. I mean, I won't report or anything, but this is a far cry from the place I just visited like an hour ago."
>"Not that I'm going to go, of course, because it sounds like all kinds of suicide. But what happened there? Do you have any idea, Celes?"

>The steward studies her teacup. "You're sure it's not the old owner of the place?" Momiji asks her.
>"Positive. If it was him, we would sense that evil even here." Celes falls silent a moment longer. "There are still objects of evil, and of power, within my Keep, but none that I can think would manifest like this. Any item I know of that could cause such an upwelling of evil and power would have also had a more aggressive bend. It would do more than simply drive people away. The only thing I can think of would be if some new force of evil came to inhabit the Keep during our absence, something unknown to me. Something that didn't wish to be known by anyone, which is why it would defend itself so fiercely, like you said happened to Marisa, Reimu-san. And it would have to be incredibly powerful, to either kill, corrupt or drive out the other residents. The Countess herself is as powerful as the Scarlet Devil, an elite vampire."
>"Assuming of course that this is our own timeline." Celes says thoughtfully.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:17:41 PM by Namusour »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
>Nod.
>"Yeah. Seems that way. Well, if you don't know, then I guess there's not too much point worrying about it. Hopefully Marisa has that book."

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
>Nod.
>"Yeah. Seems that way. Well, if you don't know, then I guess there's not too much point worrying about it. Hopefully Marisa has that book."

>"If I may ask, Reimu." Celes says to the red-white. "In all the time that you've been aware of the Keep, nothing inside it has ever come out to attack anyone outside it, am I right?"
>Reimu shakes her head. "Only times I know when something came out of that place is when someone tried to get inside and got chased out, like that psycho Sakuya tries now and then."
>"So whatever is in there appears to be content to stay there, so long as it is undisturbed?"
>Reimu nods. "You got it. We leave it alone, it leaves everyone else alone. Anyway, what's so important about that book? You in a hurry to leave or something?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
>"We need it to get home. So even if we don't use it first thing, getting it is a big deal."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
>Does Gensokyo have sci-fi or fantasy literature that we have read?
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 05:58:14 AM »
>Does Gensokyo have sci-fi or fantasy literature that we have read?

>Not really, not that you've read. Reading books has never been one of your preferred pastimes, unless it's relevant to an article you're working on.

>"We need it to get home. So even if we don't use it first thing, getting it is a big deal."

>"Suit yourself." Reimu replies casually.
>"Let me ask you something, Hatate." Celes says. "With your ability, could you record an image of the book where it is right now? It is possible Marisa might not have it anymore."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
>Could we record a thing if we don't know where or when it is, and barely have any familiarity with it?

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 01:44:51 AM »
>Could we record a thing if we don't know where or when it is, and barely have any familiarity with it?

>You think you might be able to. Obviously, the more familiar you are with something, the easier it is to produce an image of that thing. In this case, however, you've had first hand experience with the object in question, and that image is still fresh in your mind. It shouldn't be too hard to thoughtography up a picture of it, no matter where it is. You're less sure, however, of how much information you can gain this way. It's just as possible that you could get an image of the book on some nondescript wood table as something more specific.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 01:56:33 AM »
>"It's...kinda tricky. But maybe I can. I guess I was around it enough. Give me a minute."
>Concentrate and see if we can get a photo of where it is at this point in time.

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:27:09 AM »
>"It's...kinda tricky. But maybe I can. I guess I was around it enough. Give me a minute."
>Concentrate and see if we can get a photo of where it is at this point in time.

>Celes nods and you set to work.
>Recalling the book you saw in Marisa's house, you mentally 'trigger' your special power and impress your will into your camera. Looking down at the display in your finder, you see the red and brown tome displayed clearly. It is surrounded by darkness, almost as though it is suspended in a void. Or... is it a void? There are flecks in the darkness that are somehow.... darker than other spots. Black areas that seem almost to be holes in the picture. Black within black. And though you know it to be impossible, you are equally certain they are moving. Undulating, shaking, slithering through the void in which the book floats.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
>Show the others.
>"It's in something...weird. Don't you think it looks like all that stuff is moving?"

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »
>Show the others.
>"It's in something...weird. Don't you think it looks like all that stuff is moving?"

>"Isn't that kind of impossible?" Reimu asks nonchalantly as she takes a glance at the picture. And instantly snaps her head the other way, her arm snapping up to shield her eyes, which have grown wide with dread.
>"Good gods." Celes exclaims, looking at Reimu. "What could..." Trailing off, she takes a look at your photograph. "How bizarre. It seems to be suspended in some kind of void. And... I think you're right, Hatate. Is this some effect of your power?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
>"Nope. Here. let me see if I can get a wider shot."
>Delete that picture, and take another one, as though we were some distance back; enough that the book is only a small part of the center of the picture.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 01:42:09 AM »
>"Nope. Here. let me see if I can get a wider shot."
>Delete that picture, and take another one, as though we were some distance back; enough that the book is only a small part of the center of the picture.

>After you delete the image, you note Reimu becomes almost automatically relaxed again, almost as though that moment of dread never hit her. Momiji, at the same time, gives her head a shake.
>Refocusing your mind's eye, you record another image. This one yields a different result. You succeed in your desire of taking the more distant image of the book in the void, but in doing so, you have placed 'yourself' outside a chamber of some sort. Black stone walls lead to a large doorway, armored dark wooden doors swung inward. A pair of large grey suits of armor, the type a human would wear, stand one either side of the doorway, one carrying a poleaxe, the other a giant sword.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:53 AM »
>Let Celes see it.
>"I haven't been there too much, but...looks kind of like your place, doesn't it?"

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »
>Let Celes see it.
>"I haven't been there too much, but...looks kind of like your place, doesn't it?"

>Celes examines the image for only one second before scowling. "That is- That is not possible."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:58 AM »
>"Go on."

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 02:53:22 AM »
>"Go on."

>"That is the entrance to the throne room of the Keep." Celes says, then visibly swallows. "But, that's how it looked when he ruled the place."
>"I thought you said you were sure he wasn't here." says Momiji.
>"I was. I AM."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »
>"He didn't hibernate or anything like that, did he?"

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 03:18:29 AM »
>"He didn't hibernate or anything like that, did he?"

>"Not that I know of. I know that some vampires can and do, but not him. I can't explain how THAT version of the Keep could be in Gensokyo. WE owned the Keep by the time the Keep came to this place. Even if we'd been pulled inside the book, and this was some kind of false world, we'd be seeing OUR version of the Keep, not that one."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 03:26:08 AM »
>"Then maybe those sin things messed it all up? Or someone cast something they shouldn't have."

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 04:44:41 AM »
>"Then maybe those sin things messed it all up? Or someone cast something they shouldn't have."

>"The Sins wouldn't have- Wait a minute." Celes breaks off, sinking back in her chair. "Greed got through Marisa's shield. Greed is here, too. If he found a compatable host, someone to form a symbiotic bond with.... He could have done that. I can't think why he would... But he could have."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:37 AM »
>"Or maybe he just got too greedy and screwed something up?"

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 05:09:00 AM »
>"Or maybe he just got too greedy and screwed something up?"

>"Not on his own. The Sins on their own don't have that kind of power, not even Wrath."