Author Topic: Crawl Relay Revival, 0.14 Edition  (Read 70580 times)

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
Crawl Relay Revival, 0.14 Edition
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
This OP mostly stolen and slightly rewritten from here, for reference

So, this thread is for a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup relay, where we keep passing the same file around until our collective incompetence wins the Orb of Zot. If you don't know what Crawl is, you can screw around here to get the basic idea. You don't have to be super good to join in, half the fun is dying in a myriad of unlikely and rather stupid ways. DCSS 0.14.1 is one of the most accessible to date, so don't be too intimidated even if you're acomplete newbie to roguelikes. So, without further ado, here are the rules for the relay:

1.    Get a clean version of Crawl 0.14.1. Quite a bit changed from 0.13.x, so you might want to find that changelog. You?ll want the tiles version with mouse support, unless you really know your way around console, in which case you?d already know how to make that work. This should suffice.

2.    To play, you'll have to sign up in this topic.  You'll be put at the end of the list.

3.   You hear Xom?s avuncular chuckle.

4.    When your turn comes, you?ll be handed the file through Dropbox or something similar. You'll stick that in the saves file and start up the game.  You'll then have roughly 50000 auts (or 5000 turns) to play.  To check how many auts you've used, look to the HUD by turns, and that's the number we'll use (i.e. you get 5000.0 turns). As you play your turn, you are to keep track of a journal of important events that happen.  You can take screenshots or keep a very accurate pictureless journal as you play.  Screenshots are better.

5.  Failure to keep up screenshots or some sort of comprehensive log will count as a death on your part, and we'll take the last save.

6.  Once your 5000 turns are up (we allow some slight deviation, you can stop at say 5045 or something), save, copy to the files to a zip folder and upload it to a file sharing site.

7.  If you take way too many turns (6000+), I will rip your still beating heart out of your body, but take the save files and journal/log anyway.  If you reach 7000, you're off the list for the rest of the game?and also the other thing.

8.  If you take more than 3 days (72 hours) taking your turn, I'll skip you and give the save file to the next person in line.

9.  You may sign up again when your turn is over.

10.  Losing is fun.  If you die, just log that and I'll tack it onto the number of times we've lost and continue from the last save file.  Don't worry, the game is meant to be hard.  If you're inexperienced, take this chance to play a high level character and learn more about the game.

11. However, it's not fun if you save the file and give it to the next person with, like, 3 HP and surrounded by tough enemies.  We'll consider that your death and revert back to the previous save file, and I will frown disapprovingly at you.

12. At the end of your post, state if you?re up for another round. Makes everyone?s life easier and gives you the initiative in the line. Everyone wins!

13.  Feel free to suggest adding in anything I missed on this list of rules.

Current Player:  Totaku

Waiting List:
Serela
NekoNekoRex
Pirate
Raitaki

Turns on current save: 121,922
Deaths:
1. Raitaki: To an Ice Beast on turn 6485.
2. Validon: To a Giant Slug on turn 14493.
3. Serela: To an Iguana on turn 12893.
4. NekoNekoRex: To Roxanne on turn 34928.
5. Serela: To a Kobold Demonlogist summoned demon on turn 35,762.
6. Pirate: To a Centaur Warrior on turn 37,385.
7. Raikaria: To a Tengu on turn 38373.
8. Raitaki: To a Black Mamba on turn 45199.
9. NekoNekoRex: To a Naga Sharpshooter on turn 45,779.
10. Serela: To a black mamba on turn 45033.
11. Totaku: To a Naga Sharpshooter on turn 50,932.
12. Raitaki: To an Anaconda on turn something.
13. Pirate: To Mysterious Hellfire on turn ~58600.
14. Totaku: To an Elven Master Archer on turn 59180.
15. Ramus: To an Elven Annihilator on turn 58756
16. Pirate: To two fireballs on turn 96133
17. Serela: To a Tengu Reaver's Battlesphere on turn 98275
18. NNR: To something.
19. Raitaki: To something.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:36:36 PM by UncertainJakutten »

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Re: Crawl Relay Revival, 0.14 Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »
You know I want to join in on this. I meant to make a mod but I've been taking too long so I'm glad you're filling in the spot for this.

Anyways signing up to play!
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »
I tried to get into crawl once, after trying out the previous relay. Playing characters with a decent amount of non-melee abilities is pretty fun, but it sure is a trip. Also I picked up a cursed ring that warped me randomly every now and then, on the first floor, welp. `-` That was definitely... "fun"

I might sign up for a round of this now and then! But as I learned last time, keeping updates and screenshots of the play is a bit of a chore, to me. It's fun to read them though.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:53 AM »
Hmmm...I think I'm signing up! :V I've never actually gotten any runes ever yet (due to my stupid tendencies to identify all scrolls and potions by eating them and to ignore the "DO NOT ENTER THIS BRANCH IF YOU ARE CHARACTER TYPE X" warnings the wiki gave a bunch of places :V

I suggest we do one of the magic classes, by the way. More versatility, and mixing and matching multiple spellbooks is always fun :3
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:33:19 AM »
Well, even if I have to give myself a migrane by playing Crawl even more, at least I can entertain people at my own headache-inducing expense.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:50:36 AM »
Hmmm...I think I'm signing up! :V I've never actually gotten any runes ever yet (due to my stupid tendencies to identify all scrolls and potions by eating them and to ignore the "DO NOT ENTER THIS BRANCH IF YOU ARE CHARACTER TYPE X" warnings the wiki gave a bunch of places :V

I suggest we do one of the magic classes, by the way. More versatility, and mixing and matching multiple spellbooks is always fun :3

>Implying you can trust the wiki

Either way, yeah, feel free to vote on what type of character you want to play. You can try to go for an existing character like a touhou or something, or just make up something whole cloth and see if you can keep a consistent narrative dictated by the dungeon.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:22:29 AM »
The only probem I have is that I have never gotten tiles to work on my Windows XP PC, for whatever fucking reason. Console works, somehow, but Tiles does not.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:00:14 AM by NekoNekoFever »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:16 AM »
The only probem I have is that I have never gotten tiles to work on my Windows XP PC, for whatever fucking reason. Console works, somehow, but Tiles does not.

Well, give the latest install a shot, and if it fails, start troubleshooting. At worst you can use console just fine, it's just harder.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 03:00:51 AM »
Okay I finally managed to get Tiles working on my computer, after fucking around with every setting I could think of.

So everything is cool, I guess. The setting that was the problem is going to be annoying to deal with since I have to change it every time I play Crawl, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

(It's a screen resolution thing, if you wanted to know)

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »
This should go in Akyu's Arcade, right?
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
This is a game within a game, so I'm not sure. It's not strictly about Dungeon Crawl itself, it's a forum game which utilizes Dungeon Crawl and will definitely contain roleplaying of some kind.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure the last Crawl Relay was also in Rumia's and it lasted awhile; it could probably comfortably fit in both Akyu's and Rumia's, since it's both about a game and also a sort of forum game we're playing together.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Totaku

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
This game has been at least 4 times in the past here on Rumia Party Games

Once or twice by Ramus who orginally started this here.

One by Anathe.

Twice by me

All of them consisted of a game with a unique sense or RPing to boot. And of course the games have been archived here in the past. It's all about making progress and coming up with creative story telling to go with it. :P

So yeah, I don't think there's really any reason to move it when it already pretty much been used here as an game / RPing type game. It's just a uniquely done hybrid.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:58:30 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
I admit, I wasn't really sure either, but given Tradition has had the Crawl relays show up here due to the roleplaying and interactive aspects, I figured it was a safe bet. If I'm wrong, it'll be moved and we'll go from there :P.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »
I haven't personally played Crawl in a long while (checking the version of the game I have, It was at like 0.12 something, not 0.14) and it wasn't for that much, but I would feel up for it, since I'd probably get my turn right around when I'm no longer hammered by schoolwork! :V
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »
So is that a sign up Validon? (Also I dropped Crawl after 0.8 and didn't pick it up til like 3 months ago so it's a good time to relearn!)

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 12:29:53 AM »
It is a sign up! I just need to prepare myself by actually learning the game better.
*spent some of today attempting to do so, and died with a Human Ranger at level 5 of the main dungeon, meaning he has a bit of a ways to go learning wise :V*

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
Don't worry, the early game is the part with the most irritating bullshit.

Not that the rest of the game doesn't also have more irritating bullshit then you could ever dream of, it's just the early game has more of it.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Also, if you're playing online and are about to die and don't think you can survive, start unequipping your gear, with armor being last (assuming you'd even live that long).

One run I died with a +0/+7 ring of slaying and an enchanted sword of draining on me as the Wizard class, and next run I ran into my ghost and got slaughtered ;_;
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Also, if you're playing online and are about to die and don't think you can survive, start unequipping your gear, with armor being last (assuming you'd even live that long).

One run I died with a +0/+7 ring of slaying and an enchanted sword of draining on me as the Wizard class, and next run I ran into my ghost and got slaughtered ;_;
Clearly this is a bad idea because the fun of being a ghost is being able to fuck over other players who meet your ghost.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
But what's the point if I can't be around to see it? :C

Also, just made the mistake of leaving Fedhas' religion. Suddenly 3-turn-kill plant army what

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
That's really bad advice in general about unequipping stuff in battle because you're sure you'll die. If you have time to take off stuff, you had time to survive and were being foolish. In general, people playing online should know to avoid ghosts until they're ready to take them anyway.

In other news, I'd say we have enough interest so what kind of character are you lot leaning towards?

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »
I'd prefer Vine Stalker. They're a bit hard early on, but can do anything decently. Their non-magic aptitudes are all 0 or -1, but iirc they have nothing below -1, so they'd be good for a hybrid/multi-focus character which might be more fun for a relay. Their stealth is good for stabbing builds, and they pretty much can't die from poison as well.

As for starting background, I think anything but Berserker is okay, though I'd lean Wizard for the versatility and potential to go hybrid, and away from Ice Elementalist because of the iffy early game (in fact I've never gone ver far with one, especially since most undead seem to not mind ice spells). Wanderer could be quite fun to try too, though might take a few tries to stop getting something stupid like throwing/staves start with no actual throwing weapons, high spellcasting + armour start, or high spellcasting start with just one spell memorized and no books :V
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:08:05 PM by Raitaki »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 01:23:07 AM »
I've found Conjurer to actually be really versatile in terms of ranged harming, although maybe a wizard build or a hybrid build would be cool too. VS Warper, maybe?

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 06:09:53 AM »
Conjurer is kind of godlike right now, FYI. Fulminant Prism and Iskenduren's Battlesphere are basically the best spells in game legit. Do not get me started on those spells because I will not shut up about how amazing they are.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:04 AM »
On other news, that's like the second Grand Grimoire I found using a 0 Spellcasting character this week.
Freaking why.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
I'm personally interested in seeing a caster or physically ranged character. Race I don't know, since there's kind of a lot and I haven't tried many of them outside of Human, High Elf, and Tengu. I'd be up for seeing how VS Warper would go, though.

Totaku

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »
My opinion: We're conqured the game before in a Touhou themed mod of this using a fire elementalist.

So to make things interesting why not try the opposite element for a starter Ice! To make it more interesting, why not try Merfolks? They have the advantages with water that almost everyone else can't.

And if we were to do this.... I would call her... Wakasagihime. :P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:25:03 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »
Hmm...I'm down for a thematic run as well. Though someone better grab the first non-sling ranged weapon they see cuz I'm not very good with ice elementalists.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »
I wouldn't mind the themed run either (yay Touhou RPing practice). But yeah, I just tried an ice elementalist just to see how they start out, and while their starting spell is okay, its melee nature along with a not-so-great spell failure rate makes them slightly awkward to use. Hopefully the dungeon will be kind and give us a bow or something, because as I've learned about rogue-likes in general, melee can quickly become pain.