Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3, Part 5  (Read 58758 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3, Part 5
« Reply #510 on: April 18, 2014, 11:37:19 PM »
>After. Try to employ efficient pathing.

« Reply #511 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
>After. Try to employ efficient pathing.

>With that goal in mind, you append the instructions to your constructs.
>As they work, you look to where the vines they've cut were to confirm what you saw earlier. Once those vines were cut, they didn't simply drop to the ground like dead vegetation, they faded out of existence after a moment. Gives you less to analyze, but you chose to be optimistic. Perhaps whatever influence they have over Kiku's memories fades completely, as they themselves do, once they are broken.
>It takes your constructs a little more than half a minute to hack, sheer and prune their way through their target vines, which they do at nearly the same moment. Two of the other vines fade out of existence after your ersatz Minoriko and Meiling finish off their targets; they must have been the same vine, their connection obscured by the body of the tree and the complexity of the knot. Which, being reduced now to just one vine, is significantly less complex than it was before.
>As the three constructs start to target the final thick grey vine, Kiku says, "Wait a moment, Byakuren."

« Reply #512 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:36 AM »
>Tell the constructs to hold
>"Yes? What is it?"

« Reply #513 on: April 19, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
>Tell the constructs to hold
>"Yes? What is it?"

>Kiku exhales sharply. "I want to finish this myself."
>"I haven't forgotten what happened the last time." she adds quickly, forestalling your protest. "I haven't developed a desire for more pain. I thought I would try it your way."

« Reply #514 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »
>Nod
>"Of course."

« Reply #515 on: April 20, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »
>Nod
>"Of course."

>Instructing your constructs to back off a bit, Kiku pads forward a couple of steps, then growls softly. Whereas your constructs simply faded into being, the shape that Kiku conjures forth appears in a metallic grey cloud of smoke. The image of the Metal Tiger himself emerges from the cloud of iron gas, and announces his presence with a roar that puts Kiku's to shame. You have no choice but to cover your ears against that horribly loud noise.
>The massive tiger-god strides forward, his footsteps shaking the plantlife around you while making an odd metallic grinding noise as it leaves huge footprints in the soil and grass. With a sharp feline glare, he raises his right arm and takes one swipe at the final vine attached to the tree, the sound of metal scraping furiously as the Tiger's mighty paw simply obliterates the grey vine, reducing it to little more than a bad memory. With a defiant, triumphant howl, the Tiger construct fades, leaving only the badly damaged tree behind.

« Reply #516 on: April 20, 2014, 06:29:51 AM »
>Well, that was certainly a bit more dramatic than our own
>Wait a moment
>"Do you... sense any change?"

« Reply #517 on: April 20, 2014, 06:58:36 AM »
>Well, that was certainly a bit more dramatic than our own
>Wait a moment
>"Do you... sense any change?"

>Perhaps she replaced her anger with a flair for the dramatic. At least temporarily.
>Kiku is silent for a moment longer, before glowing faintly silver and reverting back to her human guise. She stares at the tree with cloudy eyes. "Yes." she says at last. "I will need your help again, Byakuren."

« Reply #518 on: April 20, 2014, 07:22:07 AM »
>"What is it?"

« Reply #519 on: April 20, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »
>"What is it?"

>"I can heal this tree. Restore this memory to what it should be. But I need your strength of mind to support me." In saying, she extends her hand out to you.

« Reply #520 on: April 20, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
>"Of course. I am there for you."
>Give her our hand, and our strength.

« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »
>"Of course. I am there for you."
>Give her our hand, and our strength.

>Hand in hand, Kiku leads you forwards, towards the tree. The tiger youkai lays her free hand on the split, broken trunk of the tree, and you sense her focus her will upon the memory embodied by the damaged tree before you. Fibrous green and grey tendrils appear along the edges of the main break, sliding their way across the wound like stitches. These tendrils start to pull the wood together gently but firmly, as a soft green light starts to fill the wound.
>Although you wish to aid Kiku in her task, you have no wish to pry into her memory. Nevertheless, you hear whispers and snippets of voices float through your mind as Kiku works to heal the tree. "-heard she was posted up north." "This is most unusual,-" "-assure you, there is nothing-" "I trust there will be no more concerns?" Some of the voices you recognize: Kiku's and Satori's especially. Others belong to some of the shrine maidens you met during your visits there, others are strange to you.

>It takes Kiku around a minute to draw the wound in the tree closed, the gaping wound glowing a brilliant green as it closes. When this light fades, the trunk is in one piece. Kiku lets out a ragged breath, her hand lowering from the tree.

« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2014, 07:16:34 AM »
>Give her a moment
>"Did you see anything? I tried not to look too closely."

« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2014, 07:26:19 AM »
>Give her a moment
>"Did you see anything? I tried not to look too closely."

>The look on Kiku's face is one of stark disbelief. "But that...."

« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »
>"What is it?"

« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »
>"What is it?"

>Kiku takes a couple of short steps backwards, releasing your hand as she does so. Abruptly, you feel a wrenching sensation as your conscious mind and body are reconnected.
>Back in the physical world, Kiku has broken the connection between you, her body's actions mirroring those she took in the thoughtscape of her mind. Something she saw in that memory has her stunned, almost incoherent. "It's impossible..."

« Reply #526 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
>"What?"

« Reply #527 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »
>"What?"

>When her back connects with the wall behind her, Kiku slides down into a seated position. "It's Satori. She... It's her."

« Reply #528 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »
>"What about her?"

« Reply #529 on: April 21, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
>"What about her?"

>"She.. manipulated us all." Kiku gasps out. "I don't know how, she... she must have some kind of power, some kind of... It was supposed to be me, Byakuren. I was supposed to be the new elder, all those years ago. But Satori showed up on the day I was to be elevated, named herself to the position. All this time, I thought that..." She shakes her head. "But it was a lie. It was a lie. She did something to all of us, made us stop asking her about it, stop worrying about it. We just accepted it. Accepted her. And then she.. changed our memories."

« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
>"This was... how many years ago now?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
>Before we broke off, were there any vines left over, or trees that seem to be damaged?

« Reply #532 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
>Before we broke off, were there any vines left over, or trees that seem to be damaged?

>You didn't notice any signifigant damage on any of the trees around the scene of the knot, but there were at least three more vines in that vicinity that you saw. Kiku's reaction to the memory she saw broke the connection between you and her before you saw if destroying all those vines at the tree had any effect on the vines in other locations of her mind.

>"This was... how many years ago now?"

>"Almost five years. She came to us almost five years ago now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #533 on: April 24, 2014, 12:29:44 AM »
>"Mmm, that's awhile. Is there anything else you can remember. Why she did it, perhaps?"

« Reply #534 on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »
>"Mmm, that's awhile. Is there anything else you can remember. Why she did it, perhaps?"

>"Why? No, no I...." Kiku's face contorts as she deals with this new truth, then presses her hand against her head. "I can feel my... Feels like my mind is... unraveling. Truth and lies... What did she DO to me?!" she snarls.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #535 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:53 AM »
>"I can only guess. Do you need to sit down for a little while?"

« Reply #536 on: April 26, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »
>"I can only guess. Do you need to sit down for a little while?"

>"I need...." Kiku makes another pained noise, clenching her eyes shut. "She... I need to know why. Why she..." The tiger youkai sighs and her head sags backwards, clunking against the stone wall she rests against. "My memory is... restoring itself. I think. I can't... focus."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #537 on: April 26, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »
>Move over and put an arm around her shoulders.
>"Don't worry, it's for the best that it does. Just let it come."

« Reply #538 on: April 27, 2014, 07:01:31 AM »
>Move over and put an arm around her shoulders.
>"Don't worry, it's for the best that it does. Just let it come."

>"This.... this changes things." Kiku manages to get out as you embrace her gently.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #539 on: April 27, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
>"Yes, it does."