Author Topic: Yukari Quest IV - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 58242 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Yukari Quest IV - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »

>You are Yukari Yakumo. Your day has been awful and there is no sign of it improving.
>You are the youkai that stands at the threshold, old as civilization and a witness much of human and youkai history. Indeed, you have been a significant force during much of the latter. Your deeds are many: You have name charted the stars for youkai-kind, you have lead an invasion that shook both heaven and earth, even if it had ostensibly failed to conquer the moon. You have dwelt on the edge of human society, sometimes reaching out to influence it in small ways. However, there was a point when you realized that you had to make a decision, whether you wished to exert your power over all, dominate them, and rule openly (or fall in the attempt), or take a more relaxed role and live as you pleased. You chose the latter with little hesitation. You have watched both humans and youkai throughout history, as youkai took early control over the unseen parts of the world and were slowly driven further and further back as humanity grew in power, technology, and arrogance.
>Eventually, it became necessary to find a new place for the youkai to live, and you took an active role in helping to forge that place with the aid of the Hakurei bloodline and The Dragon itself. Now you watch over that land, serving as both a quiet (and sometimes not so quiet) guardian and observer of its ultimate fate. Already, it has challenged some of your wildest expectations, for both the land itself and its inhabitants...
>More mundanely, you dwell with your shikigami and dearest companion Ran, as well as her subordinate shikigami Chen in a modest fashion, enjoying each day as it comes. Despite your rather fearsome status, which you cultivated as carefully as you care to, you have some friends among others as well. As well, you have a number of rivals; well, something like rivals; that you covertly keep an eye on. However, for the most part, you are content to merely flummox them from time to time, when you pay them any mind, you didn?t get as far as you have by letting things stress you unnecessarily. Your true duty is to maintain the integrity of the barrier that separates Gensokyo from the rest of the world, and make certain that nothing untoward gets in. You?ve had mixed success with this, when you are fully honest with yourself...
>You spent a lovely day yesterday, conversing with Yuyuko, playing with Maribel, plotting a mahjong tournament, and frolicking with Ran. Then it all went downhill when you awoke and found yourself naked in an unfamiliar cavern, bereft of all your possesses, most notably the tools you use to hone and refine your abilities, save your bedsheet. Having little other option, you wrapped yourself in the bedsheet and taken to exploring. You discovered over things; an immense yawning chasm that terminates into darkness, strange roots that give you a bad feeling and physically harm you to touch, chambers of glass, a place filled with half-finished sculptures, and a place where the borders were about to collapse into themselves. Most notably, you've found that the borders here are very odd, rather akin to a pile of trash than proper borders, and ever swirling and difficult to properly prise for gaps. With some effort, you found one of your tools, which had been somehow split into intangible lights.
>Eventually, you found a gap to take you away from there, but you weren't able to hold it open long enough and fell between the borders, where you were displeased to note they were just as crude as they were elsewhere. Eventually finding your way out, you came to a seemingly-endless field of fluffy frond-like plants, eternally waving in the breeze. Above, the sky gave way to absolute nothingness, not even emptiness could exist in such a place. Finding the borders to be the same here as elsewhere, you wandered the fields, finding more of those horrible roots and eventually weaving a hat out of fronds to test how well they weave. You found a fold in the borders here, and followed it to find several gaps, after using is to strengthen the borders here a little. One gap leaves back to the caverns you awoke in, and another scattered and unusable. While going to investigate a third, you found a silver door in the middle of the plains while opened to a black emptiness that was home to a crystal mass large enough to rival a palace. Exploring it, and accidentally destroying it, you found a pool of fresh water, and a most interesting piece of what you've identified to be a raw building block of existence.
>Helping yourself to both, you made your way out and followed your way to another gap, which lead you back to Gensokyo! Or so it seemed, at least. You quickly found the food didn't nourish you, nor did it seem you could bring objects or people through it. Sadly, the latter realization occurred after you tried to lead Reimu and Ran through it, which lead to them vanishing entirely. With a heavy heart, you reentered the abyss and pressed on to another gap. Through it, you found a forest full of alien trees and devoid of any kind of anymore life. Exploring it, you soon discovered a strange gap within a pillar, and a border filled with sourceless music. Extracting and testing the former, you found it bought you to a tiny shrine in the middle of the forest, and shrunk you t a few inches in height. This affair was unprecedented, but thankfully reversible. The shrine was largely empty, and particularly lacking in sanctity, save for a strange sigil found in a tunnel leading from the basement. You found it held some notable power, but was incomplete. Then you noticed that it seemed to follow you, always moving while out of sight, but otherwise harmless. After a little experimentation, you found that the base of the shrine wasn't connected to the ground, and more experimenting revealed a chamber that was not aligned with the structure.  Making creative use of a branch, you managed to get down to the chamber, finding a gap that took you to the top of a mountain. There, you found more music without a source, this one you were able to take with you. You have fused it with the other sourceless music to make a strange non-duet of the two.
>You are tired and hungry, mentally exhausted and finding it increasingly difficult to keep your composure, you made you way back to what seemed to be Gensokyo and rested. Waking to find yourself cold and hungrier still, you were able to warm yourself with a blanket, but had no luck in filling your stomach. You then spent a fair deal of time trying to determine whether or not that Gensokyo was real, engaging in unpredictable behaviors and visiting a helpful Yuyuko. In the end, you were reasonably convinced and moved on. Returning to the caverns where this all began, you checked a hitherto unexplored gap. This one took you to a vast outside world city that seemed to be ruined by war, built upon buildings in the ground, with upside down ones in the sky. You quickly found there were many mirrors within this city, and that they all seemed to connect to a mirrored maze elsewhere. Exploring this maze partially, you found yourself at wildly disparate parts of the ruined city, and then managed to find your tape measure hidden within one of the mirrors.
>Leaving the ruined city behind, you then followed the gap in the caverns that failed you the first time, and ended up at a series of floating islands within a multicolored sky, connected by bridges of light. Exploring them, you soon found signs that someone else had passed through, the first true signs of life you've seen since entering this strange abyss. Following these tracks, you eventually scaled a mountain and found a gap that had been crudely opened, and nearly ruined by the process. Carefully stabilizing it again, you followed this person into yet another new place; a barren rocky plain with alien stars above, and a moon impaled upon a blue world. You quickly found a firelight and followed it upon you came upon the sleeping form of Maribel, as disheveled and starved as you. Now you need to find her some water, before thirst and weakness harm her seriously. As well, you have found she is beginning to lose her humanity.
>Presently, you are travelling toward a colder region of the this rocky wasteland, and trying to deal with Maribel's lack of decent shoes and thick clothing.

> Could we do that by making the gap very thin?

>Gaps are already practically two-dimensional. While transit is virtually instantaneous, preserving fires through them can be tricky if the whole thing is plunged through at once.

>Do we have a hat or some container for water?

>You do not have your hat. Given that all the other items of clothing that you have found, you suspect that it too has followed you, and you have not yet found it. Otherwise, you have no watertight containers.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Yukari Quest IV - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
> Then how is it even possiblle to transfer fire through a gap so it is not in the gap all at once? Fire is not exactly a solid thing.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
> Then how is it even possiblle to transfer fire through a gap so it is not in the gap all at once? Fire is not exactly a solid thing.

>It is not. But the fuel that it is connected to and consuming is.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
> "Ah. That is a problem. Tell me, then. How did you create that fire?"

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
> "Ah. That is a problem. Tell me, then. How did you create that fire?"

>"Some good rocks I found around those islands, and some time," says Maribel.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
> "But what are you burning? Surely not the rocks."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
> "But what are you burning? Surely not the rocks."

>"Oh, I gathered up a lot of those tall grasses I found on the islands," says Maribel. She stops for a moment, presumably to try and force a little moisture into her mouth. "Then I bundled them together really tightly. They aren't a good as real logs, but it was about all I could. I guess someone like you doesn't really need to have a fire normally, though, do you?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
> Are bundles of grass things we could bring through gaps without putting out the fire?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
> Are bundles of grass things we could bring through gaps without putting out the fire?

>You should be, as long as you don't try to pull the entire burning part of it through the gap's threshold at once.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »
> So opening a gap below the fire wouldn't work?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
> So opening a gap below the fire wouldn't work?

>Directly below wouldn't work. But at an angle should be alright.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
> Is an angle even possible with the fire sitting on the ground?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »
> Is an angle even possible with the fire sitting on the ground?

>As long as you angle the gap.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
> Can we do such an angle accurately from such a distance away?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »
> Can we do such an angle accurately from such a distance away?

>You can get a reasonably precise angle from this distance. Not quite enough to spit hairs between degrees, but for this purpose it is fine.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
> "I wouldn't say that. Fire certainly has its uses."
> Angle a gap so it's about 45 degrees underneath the fire off in the distance, and have that gap drop the fire off about 10 feet away from where the two of us are.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
> "I wouldn't say that. Fire certainly has its uses."
> Angle a gap so it's about 45 degrees underneath the fire off in the distance, and have that gap drop the fire off about 10 feet away from where the two of us are.

>She nods as you open the gaps.
>The individual bundles of grass tumble through the gap onto the ground in a heap. Some of the flames go out in the process, but other parts quickly catch in the new pile that builds. This is going to go through the fuel faster, but that is the unfortunate result of moving a fire like this.
>Maribel quickly hustles toward it.

>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »
Out of curiosity, are we going to melt some of the snow to try to satiate Maribel's thirst a little? Or is that not possible?

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »
I think we should have her eat some snow at first, then take the time to weave a watertight basket and melt the snow. Eating snow directly can cause hypothermia, but for the first few ounces I think repairing her thirst is more important.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »
I have considered it, and we may end up trying it. I want to investigate it for safety first, though - Maribel did say it was rock-colored, which is suspicious. She also hasn't suggested the idea herself, which I find a bit strange.

> "I can only do that so many times before the fire is lost. How much further would you say there is to go?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
> "I can only do that so many times before the fire is lost. How much further would you say there is to go?"

>"Still a few miles," says Maribel. "It took me almost half a day to get from there to where I ended up setting up camp."

>_

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
>Open a gap another few miles away.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
>Open a gap another few miles away.

>You do this thing, opening this one well outside of sight. It gives you no difficulties, so at least you aren't accidentally opening it solid rock.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
> Can we see through it?

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
>If we can, use our stick from earlier for a quick poke test.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
> Can we see through it?

>Gaps are visually opaque.

>If we can, use our stick from earlier for a quick poke test.

>You produce your own stick and probe the gap with it. Aside from touching the ground near the bottom, you feel nothing. Pulling it back, you find the end is covered with grayish dust.
>"I've never seen you have to do that before," Maribel says.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
> Show Maribel the end of the stick.
> "Precautions. Is this the snow of which you spoke?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
> Show Maribel the end of the stick.
> "Precautions. Is this the snow of which you spoke?"

>"I suppose that makes sense," says Maribel. She examines the end of the stick, then touches it. "That's it," she says.

>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
I have considered it, and we may end up trying it. I want to investigate it for safety first, though - Maribel did say it was rock-colored, which is suspicious. She also hasn't suggested the idea herself, which I find a bit strange.

Ah, ok, I missed that point. Fair enough, I'll go back to lurkan. And apparently it's not snow. Poor Mari :(.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »
You can still input commands, you know! :V

> Touch the stuff ourselves. Is it really snow?