Author Topic: La-Mulana 2 - Meets Kickstarter goal, releases TGS demo!  (Read 4389 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
La-Mulana 2 - Meets Kickstarter goal, releases TGS demo!
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »
?The 1st child had the body of a snake.
The 2nd child, a large body.
The 3rd child soared through the sky.
The 4th child had the body of a fish.
The 5th child had wisdom.
The 6th child was born of the earth.
The 7th child cast the Mother away.
The 8th child did not know the Mother.
Let us place the spirit of the 9th child into the body of child 0.?

I'm not making this up this is actually happening oh my goooOOOOOODDDDDD

Kickstarter is here!

Get the demo at Playism
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:39:46 PM by Garlyle »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: The 0th Body, The 9th Spirit - La-Mulana 2 Announced
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
Um, not to sound like a buzzkill, but why are they making a sequel? I thought La-Mulana stood just fine on its own.
Spoiler:
Until the ruin itself collapsed once you slew Mother and got the treasure.
I don't see how a sequel would work. Maybe a prequel, but that's about it.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 05:27:54 PM »
Oh man. They're slinging the La Mulana mythos around right in the title.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
I forgot, aren't those children
Spoiler:
the guardians? The first one sounds like King Conda, the fourth sounds like Bahamut...It's been a while since I played.

Also, would the mythos take Lemeza into account? I'm kinda curious about his fate after the original game ended...

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
I forgot, aren't those children
Spoiler:
the guardians? The first one sounds like King Conda, the fourth sounds like Bahamut...It's been a while since I played.

Also, would the mythos take Lemeza into account? I'm kinda curious about his fate after the original game ended...
They are
Spoiler:
not the guardians, they are the races that Mother gave birth to.  The eighth children were Humans, including Lemeza.  Since the Treasure of Life acquired at the end of the game is what gave Mother the power to create new races, the current Treasure of Life could be considered to contain the nineth child's spirit.  In other words, chances are this is a direct follow up of Lemeza chasing down his father to steal the treasure back and the results.

The 0th body is the real kicker -
Spoiler:
because the 0th child would theoretically be a progenitor, aka Mother - but Mother's now destroyed

According to Nigoro, the La-Mulana remake actually contained a lot of kind of 'dead end' plot details like the above tablet that, if you paid attention, aren't fully explained in the game itself, and they apparently believe there's plenty to go off of for a sequel.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
They are
Spoiler:
not the guardians, they are the races that Mother gave birth to.  The eighth children were Humans, including Lemeza.  Since the Treasure of Life acquired at the end of the game is what gave Mother the power to create new races, the current Treasure of Life could be considered to contain the nineth child's spirit.  In other words, chances are this is a direct follow up of Lemeza chasing down his father to steal the treasure back and the results.
Ah. :V Like I said, long time since I played, and I thought the similarities were enough to garner a connection.

The 0th body is the real kicker -
Spoiler:
because the 0th child would theoretically be a progenitor, aka Mother - but Mother's now destroyed
Spoiler:
Now I've got the rather disturbing feeling that Shorn is gonna use that treasure for his own ends. Or he'll just be a klutz and let the thing fall into the wrong hands.

According to Nigoro, the La-Mulana remake actually contained a lot of kind of 'dead end' plot details like the above tablet that, if you paid attention, aren't fully explained in the game itself, and they apparently believe there's plenty to go off of for a sequel.
Fie on me then, I am the least attentive person I know!  :derp: Anyways, this kinda bugs me for another reason. I always got the impression that La-Mulana, the original game, was meant to stand on its own as a tribute to 8-bit gaming. A remake is fine, but with all this stuff they added, it looks like they're starting to turn it into a series. I'm...Not sure if I'm ok with this. Again, I was fine with La-Mulana ending as it is; Nigoro turning the game into a series kind of goes against the first game's original vision.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
Fie on me then, I am the least attentive person I know!  :derp: Anyways, this kinda bugs me for another reason. I always got the impression that La-Mulana, the original game, was meant to stand on its own as a tribute to 8-bit gaming. A remake is fine, but with all this stuff they added, it looks like they're starting to turn it into a series. I'm...Not sure if I'm ok with this. Again, I was fine with La-Mulana ending as it is; Nigoro turning the game into a series kind of goes against the first game's original vision.
The original was indeed pretty much standalone.  However, the idea of doing a sequel started popping into their heads while they were beginning development of the WiiWare remake.  The original is still a completely compact thing, but like many classic games it ended on an "And onto the next advenure!" stinger at the end of the credits and I guess they've figured they've got good enough ideas to follow it up.

I'm not entirely worried about things like story continuity, mostly because lore-wise La-Mulana was amazingly well done in the first place and they've proven they can handle it.  I'm mostly excited because an entirely new set of ruins with entirely new puzzles and shit ahhHHHHH

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
I suppose now the question will be: Will it still be a crazy hard game, or will they allow an "easy" mode for players to jump in? I was fine with the remake's difficulty (dunno why they had to add in an even harder mode tho), but having an easier mode might help more players get on board.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I suppose now the question will be: Will it still be a crazy hard game, or will they allow an "easy" mode for players to jump in? I was fine with the remake's difficulty (dunno why they had to add in an even harder mode tho), but having an easier mode might help more players get on board.
The 'hard mode' was part of the original game too, although the differences between the original's Hard and Normal were very small.  The remake actually fleshed out the differences more.  (Also part of the game's design was that they wanted players to be able to be/feel punished for just taking a "try absolutely everything" approach - hence things like the lightning traps, and yes, the way hard mode is activated).

To which end actually I'd be surprised if they added an "easy" mode.  They might do a better tutorial/manual for the controls next time but somehow I doubt they'll deliberately try to make an easy game out of it.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 04:31:53 AM »

Get hype?

Edit:
Spoiler:
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tgs-an-exclusive-first-look-at-la-mulana-2

It's Lemeza's daughter.  Dude sure got busy with Mulbruk after the first game...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:37:21 AM by Edible »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:13:40 AM »
oh shit that's awesome

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »
My body is not ready, in fact, I'll need to finally get around to playing the remake (wanted to wait so the original wouldn't be so fresh in my mind).

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »

Get hype?

Edit:
Spoiler:
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tgs-an-exclusive-first-look-at-la-mulana-2

It's Lemeza's daughter.  Dude sure got busy with Mulbruk after the first game...
Badass at 12-o'clock!  :* Hype get!

That being said, I should probably finish the remake, myself...I think I only have Baphomet to kill.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
La-Mulana 2 delves into Kickstarter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
KICKSTARTER ALERT

god I might dump a couple hundred on this I kinda really want that one hit kill version of La-Mulana 1 for masochistic reasons

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: La-Mulana 2 delves into Kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
Wow, some of those stretch goals actually look really cool. And it looks like it's barely been out, but the limited backer tiers have sold like hotcakes- even the multi-thousand dollar ones have some takers. Go fanbases! I want to see some of these awesome stretches get met.

I'm debating where I want to donate inbetween the $15 and $45 dollar rewards. I'm not exactly swimming in cash, so I probably won't do more then $25 >> Can't afford to spend much that I don't -have- to right now.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: La-Mulana 2 - Meets Kickstarter goal, releases TGS demo!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
For those still interested:

They successfully made 200,000$!

Also, They released the demo they brough to the Tokyo Games Show.

EXCITEMENT and also DYING

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Re: La-Mulana 2 - Meets Kickstarter goal, releases TGS demo!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
I supported it on day... 2? Maybe 3? Have watched it slooooowly tick up to the goal. Glad it's finally there.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16