Author Topic: (Touhou and original) (short stories) Cogwheel's assorted random writings  (Read 2021 times)

Hopefully there's no problem with having more than one thread on here. This is where I'll be putting all my random snippets of writing that have no connection to the City, for now. Feedback is, as always, greatly appreciated. Usual warning for dreadful quality applies. Now, let's kick this off with something original, shall we?

- - - - - - -

?Wasn't always like this. You're probably too young to remember that, though. Must be... no, no, don't tell me. Guessing is half the fun. Take those hills near where I found you, for instance. Quiet place, now; used to be swarming with bugs and all covered up with tall, bright green grass. You've seen grass, right??

Basking in the warm glow of nostalgia, alongside the somewhat more literal warm glow of the crackling fire, the hermit took a sip from the rusted iron cup in his weathered hands. The company, pleasant as it was, had made him keenly aware of the state of his home, not much more than a collection of equally rusted sheets of corrugated iron and the odd bit of leather.

On the other hand, you had to learn to make do with what you could find, nowadays. Surely his guest would understand.

?Speaking of which... that ditch you were lying in wasn't always that way either. Don't know what you were doing lying around there anyway; hiding from something, maybe? Could catch your death staying there all day, out in the cold. Nah, don't worry about explaining, none of my business anyway.?

The moon showed its face, little more than a glimpse, from between the cracks in the sheets that made up the roof. Sometimes, on the rare days when it rained, the water would come through the holes in the roof. All the better, as far as the hermit was concerned. Leave a dish out, boil it, and you had something that wouldn't quite kill you right away.

In the back of his mind, he was dimly aware that he might live long enough to regret this, but it was a fleeting concern, and never much of one at all to begin with.

?See, it used to be called Willow Creek, that ditch you found. On account of the willows. And the creek. Nice, cold stream, went there every day when I was younger. All dried up now, of course. Hm? Willows?? The hermit paused, placing a finger on his chin, thinking for a moment before he continued on.

?Give me a piece of that charcoal and I'll do my best to draw it for you. No? Well, alright, suit yourself. Short version is, it's, ah... just imagine the saddest-looking tree you can think of, and you'll be most of the way there.? A whispered question, so quiet that no one else could have possibly heard it, makes him freeze, dumbfounded. Another reminder of his age. He shakes his head sadly, muttering under his breath.

?Wh... what's a tree? What do you mean, what's a tree? I mean, sure, you don't see them much any more ? can't remember the last time ? but... can't have been that long. Listen, I'll tell you some other time. Too many questions for now. If you're staying here till you can walk again, we'll have plenty of time anyway.?

He leans over the fire, ladling some of tonight's meal ? rabbit soup, or at least as close to rabbit as could be found nowadays ? into his bowl, before offering a refill to his guest. When he meets no success, the hermit's amiable ? if not a little tired ? smile turns to a small frown.

?Got to eat, you know. It's nothing fancy, not what I'd call real food, but you're not going to get any better like that. Looking thin enough alread- alright, alright, I won't push you. No need to look at me like that, really.?

The guest was an odd one, this visitor. Quiet. Polite enough, but not the social type. Nothing wrong with that, of course. There were plenty of things to see out here that could do that to a person. Didn't know how to take care of themselves, didn't seem to know a lot of things. Plenty of time to learn. It didn't matter, anyway. Not really. Company was company, and that was already better than he had seen in far too long. He was never brought up to complain about the strange types, in any case.

With his meal finished, he sets the bowl down by the fire. His guest was starting to slump against the wall, obviously tired. There might not be a lot left out here, but you couldn't kill hospitality. It wouldn't do to just let them fall asleep there.

?I'll show you around the place tomorrow, maybe go fishing together; there's still a lake near here, more or less in one piece. No, don't worry, I'll just carry you there or something. Catch a bit of sun.? A day of blue sky and blue water, back in the days when the sky still had the common decency to stay blue. What he had to work with nowadays would have to do.

?...But that's tomorrow. Getting late, better catch some sleep while you can. Talk to you in the morning, stranger.? He never did hear the wanderer's name. It wasn't right, asking too many questions, the way things were now. Something to find out one of these days ? anyone that young had enough to deal with for now without being interrogated.

Clearing a small space at the edge of the hovel for himself, the hermit drapes a blanket, more a patchwork of leather and salvaged straw than anything proper, over the silent skeleton, before retiring for the night.

Five minutes later, the world's last living human was fast asleep.

Short Touhou snippet just to return everyone to their comfort zone, starring Suwako.

- - - - - - - -

It was one of those lazy, warm summer days without a cloud in the sky. Which is to say, in conventional terms, that the heat was completely suffocating, the air humid enough to put one in mind of swimming through a pot of boiling soup.

She didn't mind the damp, not in the slightest; if anything,    it was funnier this way, watching Sanae and Kanako suffer and complain their way through the summer. The heat, on the other hand... Well, nothing burying her face in the rapidly shrinking pond couldn't fix. She hadn't had a use for dignity in a good few centuries anyway.

Two unblinking eyes swiveled and turned to focus on the newcomer. Footsteps coming up the long, immaculately swept stone staircase, passing under the arch and along the path across the temple grounds. A pair of eyes watched and stared at the visitor from above the pond, a good way to the left.

It was a good thing she could trust her hat to keep an eye or two out, really, or she might have to bother with lifting her head out of the water.

Let's see... Sanae was out. Something or the other to do in the village, if she remembered right. Kanako was sleeping; she'd been working far too hard recently, she needed a good few hours of rest. Even if it was the middle of the day. And she needed two or three fans on her to sleep at all. Given that this was definitely someone stopping by for a nice old-fashioned prayer ? all the way from the village, if Suwako was any judge ? that left her.

Well, a proper divine appearance never hurt anyone ? not directly, anyway, unless the deity in question happened to have some smiting in mind ? and this looked like as good a time as any other for it. A direct divine visit by the goddess of the shrine to answer a prayer (even if she was essentially 'the other one')? It didn't get much better than that. Even if leaving her spot was going to be awfully uncomfortable.

Autumn. Autumn was a better season for altruism. Much more sensible.

?Are those prayers? That sounded like praying to me. What did you need?? Suwako, hopping along the shrine grounds with water and a tiny bit of mud dripping from her face, did not exactly radiate divine glory. She tried her best to compensate for it, standing up and trying her best shot at a beatific smile. Well, she got as far as beat, at least ? as expressions went, it was certainly off the beaten path, and possibly a little beet-like too, in that it was red from the sun and had recently been buried in the ground.

The visitor from the human village, a woodcutter by the look of things, gave her a perplexed look, then a worried one. He had heard stories of youkai visiting this shrine, after all, and no matter how strange and small, youkai were dangerous types to an ordinary human.

?...Who are you??

Well, that stung a little. She had always hoped that the rest of Gensokyo at least recognised her by sight, but that, apparently, was over-optimistic. There was no bringing the glory days back, that much was certain, but she had assumed for the most part that her days of modest renown were still continuing. Obviously not.

?Does Suwako ring any bells for you?? The man shook his head, though she wasn't expecting anything else. Well, nothing for it; she might as well make the best of the situation.

?Well, I live here!? She explained. It was, at least, not a lie in any way. ?Don't worry, I'm not about to hurt you. I'm... let's say I'm the lady of the lake, okay? Hard times, so I camp out in the pond over there. I sort of take messages for lady Kanako; you know the one, all high and mighty with the pillars and blue hair. She can't see you now, but if you tell me what you need, you can be sure it'll get to a goddess's ear eventually!?

Again, technically, she wasn't lying; her hearing was quite good, and she didn't plan on missing a word of it.

As it turned out, he had come to ask for more rain in the village.  That is to say, the right kind of rain, the sort that actually helped the crops rather than washing soil away, drowning plants and leaving no appreciable reserves of useable water behind. It was probably the oldest miracle Kanako had been known to perform, and Suwako herself found it more than a little nostalgic.

After a good hour's chatting, less for business and more on the basis that she appreciated a little company, she sent the visitor on his way back. Mishaguchi seemed to be making the poor soul nervous, anyway, as silly as that was; the old god was softer than it looked, and as she routinely insisted, it couldn't hurt a fly. More than could be said for her, in fact, when she was feeling particularly peckish, or so she often told Sanae. The better to keep the young shrine maiden wondering.

Starting the next day, two days of gentle, measured showers came to the human village, broken up only by the odd beam of sunlight. A week later, the visitor returned, this time carrying a bale of rice. Bearing a gift and bringing his most profuse thanks for the one and only goddess of the Moriya shrine, who had apparently saved the crops and was, in spite of this, endlessly confused by the situation.

Somewhere out of sight, the lady of the lake watched and cackled. It might not be the fairest arrangement for her, but she was willing to do a lot to see that sort of look on Kanako's face, and wasn't that the sort of thing a good retirement was all about, in the end?

Whatever else might have come her way, she thought, it was a lucky sort of goddess who grew old enough to be young again.