Author Topic: The Legend of Hieda III: Esteemed Companion  (Read 44666 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
The Legend of Hieda III: Esteemed Companion
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
> "-and, of course, the wyldspace will present its usual difficulties, but that is nothing that... My Esteemed Companion, are you even listening to me?"
> The sharp-looking girl in her late twenties turns to look at you and her face lights up in comprehension.
> "Ah! What timing. I had hoped to have you with us. There is much ground and material to cover. At the moment, we are heading out West to deal with a Fate-fracture that we might be able to use to our advantage. Aah, I am sorry if I am making little sense, I get ahead of myself easily."

> The speaker is Ani of the Hieda clan, your companion for several years now. At the time you met her, she had already made a name for herself amongst the Chosen as an eccentric and a visionary.
> You, on the other hand, cannot boast much history: a nameless child, born and abandoned in the Eastern wilderness, you grew up amongst the court politics of spirits, gods big and small, trickster demons and divine emissaries. The Youkai you called them, your extraordinary friends, guardians and rivals. You had left them quite some time back, but it seems that word travels quickly in the spirit world, and you were recognized wherever you had gone since. Your Youkai are everywhere, now.
> It is not that you intended to join Ani on her travels, nor did she ever ask for your company outright when the two of you met. Circumstances brought the two of you together, and you have not found a reason to go your separate ways yet.

> The compact yacht cuts its way smoothly through the water as you sail towards your destination, a series of islands South-West of the Imperial Isle. The sun blazes down, but the enchantments around the yacht make the heat bearable. Ani had been continuously writing and documenting, and she is strange to talk to when she is busy thus, so you have been spending your time conversing with the various water spirits that have been happily following in your wake: dolphins with rainbow fins, flying fish that literally flew and formless blobs of seawater. You did not notice Ani come up until just now.

> "A while back I told you about a village that vanished off the face of Creation due to a fault in the Orrery, the one caused by Are. I believe we can use the location for the Gensokyo project! I think-"

> The rest of her sentence is drowned out by the roar of water as a vast wave forms out of nowhere and rushes towards land, picking up your yacht and sending you careening forward with a tremendous force.  Spirits often try to greet you in the only way they know how. This tends to cause problems equally often.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: The Legend of Hieda III: Esteemed Companion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »
> Try to coax the spirits out of accidentally smashing us.
> If that fails, brace for impact.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Fightest

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
> Try to coax the spirits out of accidentally smashing us.

> You need to find the spirit causing the commotion first. But that is hardly a problem.
> You recite your little mantra. Perhaps not everything is perfect, and perhaps there may be flaws in everyone and everything, but in your mind's eye there exists a vision of an immaculate Heaven for all. And, as long as you hold this vision close to your heart, someday it will come to be true.
> Your own Fantasy Heaven.
> You project.
> Spirits and gods flock around you, eager to be in your company, in this wonderful world you keep around you, but you bid them to be patient, for there is a specific one that you seek, and of course it is here - all Youkai are welcome here - a grand bearded whale, ocean currents swirling about it as if a king's mantle, and it bows to you deeply and majestically.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
>Bow in response
>"A pleasant greeting to you, as well!  However, I would appreciate it if you slowed your current some, as my frail human body wouldn't hold up too well if it were smashed against the ground."
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Fightest

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »
> The whale lets out a deep chuckle. Its eyes flash. You sense a calming in the spirit-currents.
> With a pleasant baritone drone that deepens until it is inaudible, the whale departs.
> You end your projection to find yourself and Ani drenched, in a half-flooded yacht, but otherwise unharmed.
> "Good news all around, then," she says, "we still have a yacht and we've arrived. Well done, my Esteemed Companion."
> The yacht has beached itself on a small sandy outcrop, beyond which starts a dense, tropical jungle. There is a strange atmosphere about the place.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
> Can we discern exactly from what or from where the strangeness stems from?
> Either way, get off the yacht.

Fightest

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
> Can we discern exactly from what or from where the strangeness stems from?
> Either way, get off the yacht.

> Like a fragment missing from a mirror, reflecting an incomplete you. Like a string missing from a violin, whose absence makes one want to pluck it even more. An obvious missing piece of a pattern, it should be there but it is not, and the emptiness seems to take on a life of its own, burrowing into your mind, asking the question that cannot be answered

what am I what am I what am I what amIwhat am IwhatamIwhat amIwhatamIwhatamI

> "You feel it too, a void so fundamental it pulls in even your thoughts to fill it?" says Ani, her expression tense, "Perhaps we can fool it with a koan, a prayer, something with myriad answers that removing one does not weaken the question. Think, my Esteemed Companion, think!"

> You feel your legs buckle under you. The vortex-void is disassembling you piece by piece. You will need to find a solution before you can go on.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
>"I am myself?"

Fightest

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
>"I am myself?"

> You feel the pressure drop, and feeling returns to your limbs.
> "Yes, tautological self-affirmation," says Ani, rubbing the bridge of her nose, "I am because I am, that ought to buy us some ti-"

The Broken-Winged Crane is a weapon forged in paradox. Its purpose has been fulfilled.

> "I am sorry," says Ani, "I am still leaking truths. My mind is not as strong as yours, my Esteemed Companion. I am afraid I cannot be much help."

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
>Do we have any knowledge of the Broken-Winged Crane?

>What do we know about the Hakurei clan?

Fightest

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
>Do we have any knowledge of the Broken-Winged Crane?

>What do we know about the Hakurei clan?

> You have never heard of the Broken-Winged Crane
> You have no knowledge of a Hakurei clan.

> You enter the jungle, Ani close behind you, trying to keep her infinite knowledge from leaking out.
> You are doing better than she is. You can feel your mantra being eroded, but every time a meaning is taken, another takes its place.
> I am myself, therefore I am the bowing of grass stalks after rain.
> Gone.
> I am myself, therefore I am the pattern of sunlight through a leafy canopy,
> That one stays a while longer.
> Where are these coming from? You cannot truthfully define yourself as them.

Eighty-seven years ago, the White Lotus Saint was sealed in the Demon realms by Kanako of the Eight Hills, Four Seasons' Princess and Scent-of-Patchouli-and-Lavender.

> "Aah, I needed that one," says Ani, "there is someone still looking for her. I am sorry, please, keep going."

Jq1790

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
>Do we know anything of similar phenomenon?  What effect does this "leaking of truths" have on the victim, if we do know anything about the nature of this.
>Are there any Youkai in this jungle who might be able to help us out if we project to ask?

Fightest

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
>Do we know anything of similar phenomenon?  What effect does this "leaking of truths" have on the victim, if we do know anything about the nature of this.

> You have seen some uncanny things in your travels with Ani, but this is completely alien to you. And, indeed, this is likely a unique occurrence, if Ani's story of an area lost by Fate is true.
> "Do not worry," says Ani, gritting her teeth, "time is never lost, and neither is truth. I will be able to recover any lost memories, given some time. I just hope that I do not lose anything fundamentally critical to my existence."

>Are there any Youkai in this jungle who might be able to help us out if we project to ask?
> There must be, your Youkai are everywhere.

Jq1790

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »
>Project, ask local Youkai to help us nullify or otherwise mitigate effects of the force we're being affected by.

Fightest

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
>Project, ask local Youkai to help us nullify or otherwise mitigate effects of the force we're being affected by.

> You start to say your mantra and a sound comes like knives, like falling glass and the screaming and you know that there is something deeply wrong in heaven.
> Proceed anyway?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
> Brace ourselves just in case and try again.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »
I dunno man, doing that seems like a bad idea to me. I mean, he did ask 'Proceed anyway?'
Isn't that usually a signal that doing so tends to be a bad idea or something?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 07:23:59 PM »
I dunno man, doing that seems like a bad idea to me. I mean, he did ask 'Proceed anyway?'
Isn't that usually a signal that doing so tends to be a bad idea or something?
True, but I couldn't really think of anything else to do in the situation.  I suppose we could continue on as we have been and try to ignore the force as best we can thinking back on it now.

Fightest

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
> Brace ourselves just in case and try again.

> Dreams shatter underfoot like glass.
> The sky cracked and empty.
> And the screaming.
> This is where all the I was coming from. The vortex-void was not only disassembling you. It also shattered your heaven, and now, one by one, spiritforms vanish like candle flames blown away in a gale.
> I am the porch-light for the weary traveller
> Gone
> I am the hundred streams that feed a mighty river
> Gone
> Another gone, another. You cannot stay here long.

Are of the Hieda is not dead

> "We are here, my Esteemed Companion," says Ani.
> You exit the jungle into a clearing where a village stands. Stood? Silhouettes everywhere, just turn your head and it is as if they are still images hanging in the air, not real, not real.

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
>What is our heaven?

>"Where is here? Or perhaps, what was here?"

Fightest

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
>What is our heaven?

> There was never a single point at which your Fantasy Heaven came to be. Rather, it grew as your understanding and conviction did until it was strong enough to develop as a conceptual space. It was used as a comforting place of neutrality and refuge for spirits. While outside they may vie for superiority and scheme against each other, in your heaven there was always peace.

>"Where is here? Or perhaps, what was here?"

> "A village of no importance. Or, rather, of the most great importance. Here, take this," she says, handing you a small glass sphere and holding up one of her own. "We are going to relocate it-"

Ani of the Hieda will not leave this place.

> "Too specific. Targeted. Oh, gods, we are under attack. It is trying to hide itself!"
> Out of the corner of your eye.
> Space cracks.
> And vines? Tendrils? Thousands of them worm through the cracks and pull space apart, and a form steps through.
> A black form, radiating envy, with disgust, with pity, all wrapped in thorns and dripping with scorn. It looks vaguely humanoid, but where its left arm once was is now a mass of threads, wires, splitting, splitting ever thinner, extending out into infinity.
> "I'll stall it! Go! Circle the village and return to this place, the spheres need to learn the boundary conditions!"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:02:21 AM by Fightest »

Jq1790

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »
>We heard her.  Let's get moving!

>What do we know of these spheres?

Fightest

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
>What do we know of these spheres?

> You have never seen them before. Apparently they need to learn of a set of boundary conditions, which will then allow you to somehow "relocate" the fate-lost village.

>We heard her.  Let's get moving!

> I am the wind whistling through trees.
> Gone.
> I am the rippling air over a bonfire.
> Gone.
> You can feel the knives getting closer, the dreams cracking underfoot packed more and more dense, and your heaven collapses. Almost instantly you lose your sense of smell.
> You need a new protective barrier-thought.

Fightest

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
Fightest's note: It occurs to me that I went a bit off the deep end with the start of this one. I'll just start nudging the narrative to where it needs to go.

> Nothing makes sense. Ani had her secrets, and you respected them, but now she has dragged you into something so far over your head you cannot see the sky for its enormity. You had always had your Youkai, and your vision of a perfect heaven, and now the vision is shattered and the Youkai scattered and you yourself are in danger of popping out of existence!
> In a scramble to come up with a defensive prayer, you think a thought. You cannot really help it. It was loud enough coming out of Ani.
> Are of the Hieda is not dead.
> And the vortex-void latches on.
> Things go a bit hazy from here.

> You remember silhouettes of Youkai, like still images in the air, but they move, and they hunt you. You barely get away.

> You remember completing the circle around the village, and the sphere in your hand hums with power.

> You remember a confrontation between spectre and Ani, not with fists but with words, but you cannot make them out from where you are.

> And you remember finding the second sphere on the ground where you and Ani came out of the jungle, and you touch the spheres together and everything goes very still and now you sit on a small piece of land, all sand, with ocean in all directions.
> Even the yacht is gone.

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
>Look around.

>Do we see either the specter or Ani?

Fightest

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
>Look around.

>Do we see either the specter or Ani?

> It is ocean all around. The piece of land you are on extends at most twenty steps from its centre. You are alone.

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
>Explore the piece of land, see if there is anything of note in sight.

>Try activating our Fantasy Heaven to see if it works, if it does observe if there is any spirits nearby.

>Do we have the ability to transverse large expanses of ocean, like flying/walking on water etc. ?

Fightest

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
>Explore the piece of land, see if there is anything of note in sight.

> You pace the perimeter of the island. It is featureless.

>Try activating our Fantasy Heaven to see if it works, if it does observe if there is any spirits nearby.

> You project.
> And it is as if the world has lost all colour. Dreams lie underfoot like shattered stained glass. A small, hooded form with black wings sits amongst the shards a few paces away, sifting through them, talking to itself.

>Do we have the ability to transverse large expanses of ocean, like flying/walking on water etc. ?

> No, but you have often enlisted the aid of water Youkai to carry you safely across water.

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:33 AM »
> A small, hooded form with black wings sits amongst the shards a few paces away, sifting through them, talking to itself.

>What is this figure saying? Do we recognize them?
>Hail them.

Fightest

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
>What is this figure saying? Do we recognize them?

> "Large fragment, valuable, hmm, yes, yes, conflict between...between rivals? Friends? Unclear, very political, good story."
> You do not recognize her, but stray Youkai have often taken refuge in your heaven before without your notice.

>Hail them.

> "Ah, Dream-child, greetings, greetings," says the Youkai, bowing low. A few moments into her bow, something on the ground looks to catch her attention, and she picks up a dream-fragment and starts muttering to herself again, examining it. She catches herself a few moments later still and looks back up at you.
> "I am Illuminating Decree. All alone, now, but stories much more interesting, yes?"