Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade: Countdown to Mima  (Read 145412 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
(Old thread here.)

(Go Forza!)

Also:

Olderer thread.

Official site.

Video of some spellcards!

The demo for Hopeless Masquerade, the 13.5th Touhou game is, is finally released! There are three demo characters available, which are Reimu, Marisa, and Ichirin. I think the game is really fun, and has some very interesting mechanics. One thing I found interesting was the popularity meter, being that the game is all about the popularity of religions, and how the person with the highest percent of popularity wins if the timer run out. I can't wait to see who else gets in the game, and the fact that Shou and Byakuren are both not in the backround of the Palaquin ship stage when everyone else is makes me somewhat suspicious...

UPDATED! (CAW! CAW!)

Since the above was written, we now know the following characters, in addition to Reimu, Marisa and Ichirin, are also playable:

Byakuren Hijiri
Mononobe no Futo
Toyosatomimi no Miko
Nitori Kawashiro
Koishi Komeiji (!!!)

It also appears that Ten Desires Extra boss Mamizou Futatsuiwa will also be appearing in this game, although she has not been officially announced at the time of this writing.

Who is the mysterious shadow girl on the cover? Will it be a new character? Or someone we've seen before?

Follow this thread ... and FIND OUT!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:45:21 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade: Countdown to Mima
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
The last line of your post makes me think of an ending to an old anime. Sorta like Dragon Ball Z

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »
NEXT TIME ON SHRINEMAIDEN FORUMS, A NEW MYSTERIOUS IDENTITY HAUNTS THE SPECULATION THREAD.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Tengukami

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »
FUUUUUUSION-HA!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
To immediately ruin/kickstart the new thread, here's what is written in the winter demo:
Spoiler:
bigname_01reimu
bigname_02marisa
bigname_03ichirin
bigname_04hijiri
bigname_05futo
bigname_06miko
bigname_07nitori
bigname_08koishi
bigname_09mamizou
bigname_10boss

There's also one artist Chabo on twitter, who animated a returning character, yet was surprised to see her not being revealed.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
To immediately ruin/kickstart the new thread, here's what is written in the winter demo:
Spoiler:
bigname_01reimu
bigname_02marisa
bigname_03ichirin
bigname_04hijiri
bigname_05futo
bigname_06miko
bigname_07nitori
bigname_08koishi
bigname_09mamizou
bigname_10boss

There's also one Chabo, who animated a returning character, yet was surprised to see her not being revealed.

Oh, this doesn't ruin anything. Updating now!

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:57:47 PM »
NEXT TIME ON SHRINEMAIDEN FORUMS, A NEW MYSTERIOUS IDENTITY HAUNTS THE SPECULATION THREAD.

IT'S RIN SATSUKI THREAD OVER

Can you not see all the similarities? They're like 10000000% similarly designed.

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »
I'm telling you, the final boss is the midboss spirit from 10D!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »
I'm only in here for Koishi :V

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
How do you quote something from a locked thread lol

Quote from: Polaris
Mamizou being the penultimate boss for the new character like Yukari was to Suika is pretty convincing. Her transformation/disguises gimmick is a nice lead-in to the new character's presumed use of masks as per a masquerade, so I think this is a very likely idea.

What's more

-Mamizou is the Extra boss for the game before, and Yukari is the Extra boss for the game before (well Phantasm but you know what I mean)
-It's been said she likes to hang around the Forest of Magic. A decent number of the last few missing characters could fit there as an audience, or at a generic forest (Alice, Rumia, Mystia, Hina, maybe Yuuka?)
-Would end up with 10 characters total, which would be the same as IaMP (plus 10 seems like a lot more "complete" than 9, us humans like our multiples of 5/double digits huh)

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 12:20:06 AM »
There's also one artist Chabo on twitter, who animated a returning character, yet was surprised to see her not being revealed.
Wait, wat?

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »
The characters who haven't been featured in the background yet (aside from Mamizou) are:
Rumia - Daiyousei - Meiling - Koakuma - Flandre
Alice
Mystia
Yuuka
Hina - Momiji
Iku - Tenshi
Kisume - Yamame - Parsee
Hatate
Akyuu - Kosuzu - Kasen - Toyohime - Yorihime (and Reisen and Tokiko if you insist)

The Forest of Magic seems quite likely for Mamizou for reasons stated above and it could house quite a few of these characters. The remaining MoF crew and Iku/Tenshi/Kasen seem like they could spectate at the top of Youkai Mountain, but that doesn't make a lot of sense considering Kanako and friends are already somewhere else. If I'm not mistaken, the entrance to the underground is near the foot of the Youkai Mountain so that's a possible place for the MoF/SA characters + Kasen to watch. Another possibility is the SDM except not really. And then there's the moon.

Youkai Mountain seems the most likely place for the new character's stage (assuming she doesn't have a completely new location), so that might or might not be a hint what kind of character she might be.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
It also could be that some of these chars are already in some of the shown stages, but were just off-camera (Rin nearly doesn't appear in the Koishi pic, for instance). I'd wager that either Momiji, Hatate or Hina can also be found in Nitori's stage.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

cuc

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »
I don't have time to do this. Can someone help trace the spreading of the Facebook leak? Who first posted? Is it possible that the poster had seen it for a long while, but was courteous enough to wait for the end of character reveal to do this? Or is it really such a coincidence that the Facebook entry was found soon after Koishi was revealed?

@OP: Do you think it necessary to include the HM poster and disc in the OP?

<Tengukami> Done and done!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:45:54 AM by Tengukami »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
So I have an idea about the relevance of the title Hopeless Masquerade. I've read through everyone's profile except Reimu and I've noticed people being accused of "decadence" in 4 of them, Marisa, Byakuren, Futo, and Miko. Byakuren's profile also reminded of Kanako's description of shrines in the outside world, people coming to places of worship for the wrong reasons. What I expect is that the title is referring to people only pretending to be religious. I'm not sure why it's Hopeless but I suspect it refers to something like, the current situation being hopeless, unless someone intervenes.

On a different note, can we get the translations into an organized place?

@cuc, the facebook post was linked in the last thread. Also right here: https://www.facebook.com/letthewindsblow/posts/511272048893780
It seems to be 5 months old. So the info has been out there.

cuc

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 12:50:01 AM »
No, I'm talking about the current spreading of the Facebook info half a day ago. Did someone first posted it to 4chan? I can see it being posted 11 hours ago on Reddit.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:31 AM »
IMO you should put the blog in the OP too, as a lot of the new information comes from there: http://www.tasofro.net/cgi-bin/tasoblo/index.html

The Forest of Magic seems quite likely for Mamizou for reasons stated above and it could house quite a few of these characters. The remaining MoF crew and Iku/Tenshi/Kasen seem like they could spectate at the top of Youkai Mountain, but that doesn't make a lot of sense considering Kanako and friends are already somewhere else.

Keep in mind that it seems like characters can be used as an audience for multiple stages though. Prismriver Sisters were in both the Palanquin Ship and Miko's stage. The three fairies were at the Hakurei Shrine and Futo's stage. Maybe that just means those groups were moved from their demo locations, though.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 12:53:05 AM »
THAT DISC

As if this game wasn't awesome enough already, now I see THIS? Every time I check the topic, things keep getting better. :getdown:

too bad it doesnt actually work that way, else id start spamming that refresh button

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »
It's like as if Tasofro NEEDS me to buy the disc 10 times over

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »
I don't have time to do this. Can someone help trace the spreading of the Facebook leak? Who first posted? Is it possible that the poster had seen it for a long while, but was courteous enough to wait for the end of character reveal to do this? Or is it really such a coincidence that the Facebook entry was found soon after Koishi was revealed?

@OP: Do you think it necessary to include the HM poster and disc in the OP?

<Tengukami> Done and done!

Hmm, I like that look of that poster. Any idea how widely distributed it will be? I wouldn't mind picking one up if there are going to be enough of them floating around.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »

Hey hey, save some discs for me too :derp: How about we each take five?

cuc

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »
I mean, most likely the original poster was already going "wow, this is legit" after Nitori's announcement. Did the poster immediately put it up on 4chan, or only release this info to the wild after Tasofro said it's the end of character reveal? I'm sorta interested about that.

Zoriri

• Danmaku Trainee
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 01:29:01 AM »
Not really on topic with the poster but:

I'm not saying the silhouette on the cover in Myouren...

BUT IT'S MYOUREN. (Or Mamizou/Nue disguised as him.)

cuc

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 02:00:29 AM »
Found the still alive original post on 4chan, then tried but failed to locate the poster's older posts. Seems the poster first said they knew Nitori was coming in an earlier thread, and only mentioned Mamizou when Koishi was announced. Guess I must thank they for not spoiling the fun of the past few days.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:38:23 AM by cuc »

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:03 AM »

Hey hey, save some discs for me too :derp: How about we each take five?

I think that would be Koishi manipulating your subconscious there. Her eyes are probably how she's pulling it off, and Tasfro knows it...
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 02:17:05 AM »
I think that would be Koishi manipulating your subconscious there. Her eyes are probably how she's pulling it off, and Tasfro knows it...

LOOK INTO MY EYES~.
In all seriousness, though, those eyes. They're like that first Koishi picture I used as an avatar, except brighter.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 02:21:43 AM »
Nah, they just slapped her onto the disc because Gpop and SirBlueberry will buy eight thousand copies each thus providing 75+% of their revenue :P
I finally got ahead!

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:10 AM »
LOOK INTO MY EYES~.
In all seriousness, though, those eyes. They're like that first Koishi picture I used as an avatar, except brighter.

Those eyes make me wonder if she has Reisen's HEAT BEAM EYE BLASTS from the other fighting games.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »
Nah, they just slapped her onto the disc because Gpop and SirBlueberry will buy eight thousand copies each thus providing 75+% of their revenue :P

This statement is entirely accurate. No subconscious manipulation necessary, I would willingly buy several copies just because this is an amazing disc. Oh uh I mean, it's also good to have backup copies right? Yeah you never know when something terrible might happen to one! that disc... that disc...

cuc

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 02:31:42 AM »
That most interesting HM analyzer from the previous thread tweeted: in the Mausoleum screenshot, the thing to the lower left of Byakuren should be Yuuka's umbrella. I wholeheartedly agree.