Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3, Part 3  (Read 53806 times)

>You are Byakuren Hijiri, 18 years old, resident of the city of Mayoiga, caretaker (owner) of Rin Kaenbyou, resident of the Moonside apartments, and third year student of Mayoiga High. A few days ago, you were the most popular girl in school, one of the most well-known and liked girls around town. And then you touched a strange doll, and saw a world not your own. That was the day that everything changed, and you became Magical Lotus, the Hero of the Heart.

>After an eventful day at school, and more personally eventful evening in which Rin joined your cadre of heroes, you and your friend set off to investigate the other shrines of the city, to examine the sacred flames there, as well as, hopefully, making contact with the resident Gods, as you had with the Metal Tiger. The Black Tortoise shrine revealed no signs of the God himself, though there were a number of sensations you couldn't identify without transforming, which you felt you could not do at the time. You also made a number of your fans happy, and had a pleasant conversation with Sanae's mother Kanako. You also learned that your new powers can be used to help alleviate the symptoms of drunkenness from your run in with the unfortunate Elis.
>The Blue Dragon shrine, however, had a far more dramatic and otherworldly event. After witnessing a practice duel between your landlord Reimu and the head miko Tenshi, a somewhat bizarre meeting with a green haired shrine maiden involving a piece of jade, and a surprisingly nice conversation with one of Reimu's aides, you and Rin bore witness to the sacred flame turning blue, and a disembodied voice spoke to you in cryptic words, answering your questions in riddles and verse. And yet neither you nor Rin could sense whatever was speaking to you, and a conversation with Kiku came up with no conclusions on the matter.
>Your fatigue and hunger finally catching up to you

>"Okay, it should be along shortly."
>Have a seat, and wait for the taxi to arrive

>"Gotcha."
>Rin produces a small flip book from her pocket as she stands next to you, which she uses to practice her kanji. It's an ongoing battle for her, as kanji is not the most straightforward of writing systems to employ, so she takes a number of opportunities to review and study when she can. You offer to help her practice, which easily fills in the nine minutes it takes your chariot to arrive, this cab green in color with black lettering and highlights.

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3, Part 3
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 01:04:22 AM »
>All aboard!
>Direct the cab to the appropriate destination, of course

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 02:16:41 AM »
>All aboard!
>Direct the cab to the appropriate destination, of course

>The back door opens automatically as you and Rin approach. Handy feature on a number of modern cabs, their rear doors can be opened from the driver's seat.
>Said driver of this one is a handsome fellow somewhere around twenty, short cropped brown hair matching the shade of his trimmed goatee. "Howdy, ladies." he greets you both as you climb aboard.
>"Moonside? Sure, no prob..." he trails off, sparing a glance back at you just before he pulls away from the curb. "If I'm not mistaken, you work with my sister, don't you?"

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »
>Do we have any idea the sister he might be referring to? Does he seem to resemble someone we know, maybe?

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »
>Do we have any idea the sister he might be referring to? Does he seem to resemble someone we know, maybe?

>Upon closer inspection, he bears a reasonable resemblance to Lorelai, your fellow model, whose father owns this company.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 02:22:53 AM »
>"Are you... Lorelai's brother, by any chance?"

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »
>"Are you... Lorelai's brother, by any chance?"

>The young man smiles. "Big brother, yup. Name's Kyle, Kyle Farenna. And you are, don't tell me...." He breaks off and hums for a few seconds. Then a few seconds more. He seems to be having a spot of trouble coming up with your name.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41:37 AM »
>Give him another moment, then offer pleasantly: "Would you still mind if I did?"
>If he agrees, give the struggling man our name.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 03:03:44 AM »
>Give him another moment, then offer pleasantly: "Would you still mind if I did?"
>If he agrees, give the struggling man our name.

>"MmmmmMMMMMM, yeah, sure." the young man says after a few more seconds of intense thought.
>Almost thought he was gonna pop somethin' there. Rin remarks.
>"HIJIRI, that was it." the cabbie explodes. "Dammit, I suck with names." he adds with a wry grin.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 03:27:30 AM »
>"It happens to the best of us."

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 03:56:58 AM »
>"It happens to the best of us."

>"Heh, true." he says with a chuckle. "So that'd make you... Rin?" he asks your kasha.
>"I am."
>"Is it true what they say? That Byakuren here beat an oni to rescue you?"
>"As true as I'm a redhead." Rin replies.
>"Hot damn, girl." Kyle says with a whistle. "You must be crazy tough to take on an oni and win."

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 04:02:25 AM »
>"It was only a match of tennis. It was quite an intense one, I will grant you, but still."

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 04:32:50 AM »
>"It was only a match of tennis. It was quite an intense one, I will grant you, but still."

>"That's what I'm talking about. I've seen some oni athletes, and they don't come any tougher. Facts is facts, they're just built tougher than humans. Trust me. See this scar?" He holds up two fingers to his right jawline, and there is indeed a nasty looking scar there. "Little gift from an icing race I came out short on."
>"You played hockey with oni?" Rin asks him.
>"Used to be in the minors, till I blew out my knee. Came home for rehab."

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:02 AM »
>"Tennis is not normally a contact sport, fortunately."

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 04:38:59 AM »
>"Tennis is not normally a contact sport, fortunately."

>"'s why I can't watch more than a few minutes." Kyle replies. You try not to take offense to that retort. "But whether you're playing tennis or hockey or even soccer, an oni can wear you out. You must have a whole lotta staying power, Byakuren. Well, you'd have to." he adds with a grin. "Working with Aya, and all."

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 04:43:44 AM »
>"It was important that I win that match, oni or otherwise."

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
>"It was important that I win that match, oni or otherwise."

>The cabbie nods, a look of understanding on his face as he hears the determination in your voice. "Yeah, I know what you mean."
>You, however, are slightly distracted by the fact that Rin has gently laid her hand over yours.
>"Makes all the difference in the world when you have something to fight for." Kyle continues.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 05:15:48 AM »
>"It does indeed."
>Gently place our other hand on hers and give her a warm smile

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
>"It does indeed."
>Gently place our other hand on hers and give her a warm smile

>"You planning on going professional?" Kyle the cabbie asks as you share a moment with Rin. "Anyone who can out-serve an Oni'd make an impact on the circuit."

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 08:59:29 PM »
>"Not seriously, I don't think. But thank you for the vote of confidence, just the same."

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 03:51:25 AM »
>"Not seriously, I don't think. But thank you for the vote of confidence, just the same."

>"Well, don't give up on the idea." Kyle replies supportively. "Anyone that's got talent should run with it, with it. Even if you've got more than one; my sister tells me you've got a talent for modeling, too, but pro sports can be just as rewarding."
>And you do look nice in your tennis outfit. Rin says, her lips curled in a teasing grin to match her tone of 'voice'. Very dashing.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 04:06:16 AM »
>Grin back a little: Does that make me a a knight in shining tennis shorts, then?
>"Well there's still plenty of time yet to find my path in life."

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 05:51:27 AM »
>Grin back a little: Does that make me a a knight in shining tennis shorts, then?
>"Well there's still plenty of time yet to find my path in life."

>"Take it from me, it pays to start early." the cabbie advises you. "Plenty of guys I've known got passed by while making up their minds about one thing or another."
>All ya need is the gallant steed. She pauses, then giggles in your mind. Oh yeah, I forgot. Ya got Kiku for dat.

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 05:59:49 AM »
>Wryly, but still playfully: I wonder how Kiku would take to being demoted to 'steed'?

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:27 AM »
>Wryly, but still playfully: I wonder how Kiku would take to being demoted to 'steed'?

>Ahh, she be fine. Food's better anyway.

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
>Is it? What are they feeding gallant steeds these days?

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 06:15:43 AM »
>Is it? What are they feeding gallant steeds these days?

>Rin scratches her head with one of her tails. Maybe Minoriko's got soma that pasta left over. That'd work.

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 06:27:10 AM »
>I'd be the last to cast aspersions on Minoriko's cooking, but if leftover spaghetti were a decisive step up in her diet, I might be a touch concerned.

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 06:40:09 AM »
>I'd be the last to cast aspersions on Minoriko's cooking, but if leftover spaghetti were a decisive step up in her diet, I might be a touch concerned.

>Rin pauses, then laughs despite herself.
>"D'I miss something?" Kyle asks from the front.

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »
>Lightly: "Nothing of consequence!"