Author Topic: Super Smash Touhou - Who is Like Whom?  (Read 16896 times)

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
Super Smash Touhou - Who is Like Whom?
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:37:23 AM »
Something I've been thinking about since I started replaying Smash Bros. Brawl again.

"I wonder which Touhou characters would have the closest movesets to each of these characters?"

So I came here, to ask you people. I'm not just going on final smashes or looks, remember, so more evidence than just the one attack will be needed for proper comparison. But I would like to see some speculation (and arguments).

I might as well start it off.

Everyone's favorite thief, Marisa. Who does she compare to?
My guess: Samus Aran.

Why?
Although I think Marisa would be faster, their special attacks could be similar. Marisa definitely uses missiles, and I can see her dropping bombs and firing spheres...of magic. Her normal attacks wouldn't be so clumsy, as I feel Samus' attacks can be sometimes. But I can see Marisa utilizing most of Samus' other moves, such as most of her jumping attacks. The icing on the cake is the final smash: GIANT. FREAKING. LASER. Definitely worthy to be Master Spark. The only downside to this, however...is what about Zero Suit? Does Marisa just run around without- ehhhhh not gonna finish that thought.

Well, I eagerly await opinions, new theories, approvals and rejections.

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
Re: Super Smash Touhou - Who is Like Whom?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 03:13:14 AM »
Sakuya=Sheik/Zelda?

Sheik because needles=knives. Also the up+b move is teleporting to somewhere which can be like Sakuya stopping time and moving. I can also imagine Sakuya doing flips in the air and kicking people. But elegantly, like Zelda. The Light Arrow though does not match, but maybe Sakuya could summon Remi to shoot her Gungnir or something. It is kind of similar too, summon the arrow/spear, pause and get ready to shoot, and then fire straight ahead really fast.  :derp:

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:59:41 AM »
Mario = Reimu, Peach = Kaguya, Bowser = Suika, Luigi = Sanae
Yoshi = Kogasa, Wario = Rin, Donkey Kong = Yuugi, Diddy Kong = Tewi
Link = Momiji, Zelda = Patchouli, Sheik = Sakuya, Ganondorf = Nue, Toon Link = Lunasa
Pikachu = Iku, Pokemon Trainer = Rinnosuke, Squirtle = Suwako, Ivysaur = Marisa, Charizard = Hatate, Lucario = Meiling, Jigglypuff = Kyouko
Kirby = Yuyuko, Meta Knight = Remilia, King Dedede = Miko
Fox = Ran, Falco = Mystia, Wolf = Ex Keine
Captain Falcon = Mokou, Samus = Utsuho, Zero Suit Samus = Nitori, Captain Olimar = Alice
Ike = Tenshi, Marth = Youmu, Lucas = Yuuka, Ness = Satori
Popo & Nana = Letty & Cirno, Mr. Game & Watch = Eiki, Pit = Byakuren, R.O.B. = Reisen
Snake = Kanako, Sonic = Aya

I came up with this when I was bored a while back, replacing each SSBB character with a Touhou character who I think can be related to them.  Some like Reimu, Sanae, and Momiji should be obvious, but some...  Below are some that I think most people won't get why:

Yoshi/Kogasa: Tongues. :P
Wario/Rin: Ram your enemies with your wheelbarrow/motorcycle!
Diddy/Tewi: The former throwing banana peels makes him look like a something a prankster like Tewi would do.
Ganondorf/Nue: Nue having a trident makes me think of Ganon and his trident.
Toon Link/Lunasa: The former's Wind Waker makes him look like a musician, and Lunasa is one.
PT/Rinnosuke: They don't fight by themselves.  The latter never even got into a fight of any kind, I think...
Ivysaur/Marisa: Simply because Solar Beam and Master Spark (as seen in the former's FS) look a lot like each other.
Charizard/Hatate: Ran out of other winged characters, and I want to use only Windows ones...
Jigglypuff/Kyouko: Sound-based powers.
Meta Knight/Remilia: Bat-like wings.
Dedede/Miko: Royalties, even if the former is self-proclaimed.
ZSS/Nitori: I'd imagine the latter's mechanical arms to act like the former's plasma whip.
Ike/Tenshi: The latter has a move where she stabs the ground, just like Ike, right?
Lucas/Yuuka: Both are associated with sunflowers (the former through his mother).
Ness/Satori: Mind readers and can talk to/communicate with animals.
Mr. G&W/Eiki: Black and white
Pit/Byakuren: Both are "holy".
R.O.B./Reisen: Eye beams!
Snake/Kanako: Snakes, snakes!!!!  SNAAAAAAAAAAAAKES!!!!!!!!!

Also, when I think about it, Byakuren's play style would be more similar to Ganondorf's, while Nue's more like Pit's.  Think about it...

And while we're at it...
Dr. Mario = Eirin
Young Link = Daiyousei ("fairy boy" and fairy)
Pichu = Nazrin (rodents)
Mewtwo = Yukari (one of the most powerful characters from their own series)
Roy = Flandre (fiery weapons)

The Light Arrow though does not match
Throws a knife that zips across the screen very fast?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:06:41 AM by game2011 »

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »
Throws a knife that zips across the screen very fast?
I thought of that too but Sakuya likes to throw a billion knives very fast anyway. Maybe she can throw a single special knife that has weird time/space properties or whatever and it goes through walls? XD
Also, while I do agree Kirby = Yuyuko, because eating and stuff, I also think Satori could be Kirby because of their abilities. Stealing powers could be like copying spellcards.
And Meta Knight = Remi is perfect. Her final smash could be covering the entire stage in red mist instead of darkness.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
Sakuya has quite a few specials and supers that draw their power from a single powerful knife.

Mima is Mewtwo.  Isn't it sad?
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
Yuuka would either be Browser or Donkey Kong...

Probably the former, but with more striking power.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
A couple alternatives to the ones posted above:

Ganondorf = Keine (they both have an alternate form)
Jigglypuff = Mystia
Dedede = Tewi (giant hammer, can throw (rabbit) minions)
Peach = Yukari (it's all about the parasol, plus throwing random outside world junk/shikigami instead of turnips)
Nitori = Snake (fits better than Kanako, despite the obvious reference)

Random = Nue, Mamizou, or Satori (The non-existent mimic fighter)

Kind of curious about assist trophies now...

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:52:53 PM »
Eh, but making up movesets would be more interesting. :ohdear:

Fox would be a decent fit for Reimu move-wise, with his spammable ranged attack, "blink" and defensive barrier.
Alice could be either Olimar (for obvious reasons) or Lucas (decent reach, tether recovery, PK Fire = exploding dolls).

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
A couple alternatives to the ones posted above:

Ganondorf = Keine (they both have an alternate form)
Jigglypuff = Mystia
Dedede = Tewi (giant hammer, can throw (rabbit) minions)
Peach = Yukari (it's all about the parasol, plus throwing random outside world junk/shikigami instead of turnips)
Nitori = Snake (fits better than Kanako, despite the obvious reference)

Random = Nue, Mamizou, or Satori (The non-existent mimic fighter)

Kind of curious about assist trophies now...
I imagined altered moves for some of them to make things look fitting, some visually and some functionally.

A visual example would be like Kanako throwing grenades that look like mini onbashira, firing controllable projectiles from an onbashira, using an onbashira to float into the air, and planting mini onbashira that act like C4s.  For her FS, she'll appear at the front of the screen and use a onbashira to fire exploding projectiles.  Other examples being Ran and Ex Keine transforming into a full-blown kyuubi and hakutaku respectively for their Final Smashes to mimic the Landmasters, while Mystia drives a tank that is modified from her lamprey stand.  I think I'm having too much fun imagining the last one...  Haha...

Functional examples would be like Yuyuko not being able to copy abilities, but only trapping her opponent inside her mouth, just like Dedede's version of the move, and Eiki's version of G&W's Chef being lasers that fly across the screen rather than falling back down like the latter's sausages.

I also took my time to come up with movesets for some of the Touhou characters.  Basically, I'm brainstorming a SSB/Touhou game in my head and is making movesets for them.  I'm not in the mood to talk about any of them now, though I'll just let you know that I made movesets for some of characters in my SSB/Touhou fanfic at Fanfiction.net.  You can see it starting from this chapter, at the end of each of them:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5681268/111/Touhou-Journey-to-the-Smashing-Beyond

They were made before I started brainstorming a SSB/Touhou for fun, though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:20:40 PM by game2011 »

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
I thought of another today. Game2011, I appreciate your attempt, but that was all based on things I said not to look at: single attributes.

So, without further ado, the next comparison: Yukari and Meta Knight!

A bit of a stretch, but I think it could happen. How? Sword = gaps. Each gap can deal damage, just like MK's sword. Spam A could open a buttload of gaps. Plus, MK's affinity with teleportation was what made me think of this. Yukari can alter the border of light and dark for the final smash, cloak herself in a gap for regular B, use her parasol (coated in gaps) for Side B, and just gap around for Down B. All other attacks are, as I would call them, gap-slaps. After all, who says she can't open gaps at ridiculous speeds? That's my justification anyway. Plus, since MK's banned from most tournaments due to being called OP, who else but Yukari would also fit in the "banned for obvious reasons" spot?

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »
who else but Yukari would also fit in the "banned for obvious reasons" spot?
Eiki, since ZUN confirmed her being more powerful than Yukari, Yuyuko, and Reimu combined.

And sorry for not reading your first post clearly...

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 04:31:39 AM »
Eiki, since ZUN confirmed her being more powerful than Yukari, Yuyuko, and Reimu combined.

And sorry for not reading your first post clearly...

It's fine, an honest mistake. But yeah, you're right on the Shiki part...oh well, like I said, these are all up for speculation. My opinion stands until refuted. And I can't see Shiki being Meta Knight as a replacement, so...yeah.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

That is an implication drawn from an ambiguous sentence, so I'd not put much stock in that. The more likely interpretation is that they are no match for her standards, and will thus be lectured at.

(In any case, I think Yukari fits that one assist trophy the pushes the borders of the screen pretty well)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:25:54 AM by haoreos2 »

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
That is an implication drawn from an ambiguous sentence, so I'd not put much stock in that. The more likely interpretation is that they are no match for her standards, and will thus be lectured at.
I'd say it has to do with power level.  Seeing what she's based off of, it's no surprise that she's the most powerful character introduced so far in the series.  You show she's definitely not someone you want to get on the bad side of if even Yukari talks about retreating upon hearing about "them" (likely referring to judges of the afterlife in general).  Why retreat if it's someone you can overcome with strength?

I'm not trying to start a power level discussion, mind you, but I apologize to the mods if it looks like I'm doing so...

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
Well, think about it. When was the last time you smacked anyone in the face because they were talking too much? Even in Gensokyo people don't beat each other up to avoid lectures, particularly the lazy trio.
Also, it makes very little sense for her to be referring to fighting, considering that she has no reason to expect Shikieiki to fight her in the first place, and that the dunmaku rules exist explicitly to equalize opponents, so unless she thinks the Yama is going to ignore them supposed power differences are borderline irrelevant.

If you want to continue this discussion, we can do so via PM since it's only a matter of time before it drifts over the "power level discussion" line.

More on topic, I could see Marisa with luigi-style moves; side-B broom comet, regular B magic missile, up-B broom swoop, ass attack, and a final smash inspired by "magic shrooms".

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
^ That's what you think.  I still think it refers to power level.  It gets annoying when people keep on saying that Yukari is omnipotent and unbeatable.  She's only a demon/youkai, so as powerful a she is, she has to have limits.

And lazy trio?

Anyway, let's just get back to the topic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:26:13 PM by game2011 »

Zil

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
Mima is the obvious Meta Knight.

She's also teh strongst tuhu. That's why she was banned from windows.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:46 AM »
Sakuya should be Meta Knight, simply for the pun potential with her (remixed) theme.

Zil

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 01:27:49 AM »
But... Mr. Game and Pocketwatch (of Blood)

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
We shouldn't forget the bosses either.
Petey Piranha = Mole-flower (LLS stage 1 mid-boss)
Rayquza = Mishaguji-sama
Porky = Rika
Galleom = Hisou-Tensoku
(Meta-)Ridley = Yatagarasu(?)
Duon = Mugetsu + Gengetsu
Tabuu = Shinki
Master Hand =
Spoiler:
ZUN's hat
Crazy Hand =
Spoiler:
ZUN's beer

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
Duon = Mugetsu + Gengetsu
SinGyoku works better, since Duon has a yin-yang motif as well.

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
Galleom = Hisou-Tensoku

I actually think Suika fits more as Galleom. Galleom has a lot of *ahem* smashing attacks, and the size could just be Suika manipulating her density to be massive, since she can do that. It's a bit difficult, since all Galleom does is punch the ground, jump around, or do that spinning whirlwind, but most of those are present in Immaterial and Missing Power's Suika battle. They have more similarities than just both Galleom and Hisou-Tensoku being giant robots, which doesn't entirely cut it evidence-wise. Gotta put a bit more thought into it than that.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 05:31:06 AM »
I actually think Suika fits more as Galleom. Galleom has a lot of *ahem* smashing attacks, and the size could just be Suika manipulating her density to be massive, since she can do that. It's a bit difficult, since all Galleom does is punch the ground, jump around, or do that spinning whirlwind, but most of those are present in Immaterial and Missing Power's Suika battle. They have more similarities than just both Galleom and Hisou-Tensoku being giant robots, which doesn't entirely cut it evidence-wise. Gotta put a bit more thought into it than that.
Not trying to offend you or anything, but in I case I did, then I apologize to you beforehand.

You don't have to be, like, so stuck up to your first post or something like that.  Not sure how to put it...  It's also good if both characters have similarities in terms of visuals.  Who is to say that Hisou Tensoku cannot punch, jump around, and perform spinning attacks?  Also, having a giant robot transform into a vehicle makes a lot more sense than an oni transforming into... whatever...  Therefore, I think Hisou Tensoku makes a better Galleom than Suika.

Now going back to my Touhou/SSB character posts, I can make it so that the SSB characters' movesets do indeed fit some of the Touhou characters.

Kaguya, for example, fits well with Peach's moveset.  Simply replace Toad with a rabbit demon/youkai and the turnips with bamboo shoots.  The parasol can also be replaced with the robe of the fire-rat from China.  You see what I did there?

Suika fits well with Bowser's moveset as well.  Fire breathing is what they can both do, and it's easy to imagine her performing Bowser's Side B if she, likes, increases her size slightly just before falling down with the opponent underneath her body.  Her Up B can involve her swirling really fast in mist form to imitate Bowser spinning with his limbs and head inside his shell, and her FS has her becoming a giant, just like Bowser becoming Giga Bowser.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:29:19 PM by game2011 »

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 06:00:53 AM »
You don't have to be, like, so stuck up to your first post or something like that.  Not sure how to put it...  I mean, if both the characters have similarities in terms of visuals, it's also not bad.  Who is to say that Hisou Tensoku cannot punch, jump around, and perform spinning attacks?  Also, having a giant robot transform into a vehicle makes a lot more sense than an oni transforming into... whatever...  Therefore, I think Hisou Tensoku makes a better Galleom than Suika.

Agreed; Galleom is some sort of machine-transformer, which fits Hisou Tensoku quite well. He doesn't have any "moves" per se aside from, y'know, physical stuff that nearly any giant mecha is stereo-typically expected to have.

Side note, I support Alice as Olimar. The thought is simply hilarious, and it fits waaaay too well. Each doll could have a color/country associated to it, similarly to the pikmins' colors.

I think Tojiko fits Pikachu quite well. Not just because of the way too obvious "lol thunder" connection, but because of how, due to her being a ghost, nearly every moves fits perfectly. The regular B thunder ball could be lightning danmaku, the up B could be some sort of ghost teleportation, down B is obviously the evil spirits' ability to summon thunder, and forward B... Well she IS known for being brash, so why not a ghost headbutt? Final smash would be her turning into pure electricity, some sort of ultimate extent of her abilities. A ghost isn't exactly material, who knows what they can do with their "bodies"!

I think the Ice Climbers could Cirno and Dai. Again, Ice powers aside, the double team makes perfect sense; Two best friends, weak individually but strong together, and one is them is a blue leader~. Shooting cute icicles, freezing stuff, and doing adorable team jumps, those attacks are fairy-ish enough to me!

Tenshi fits as Lucario, in my opinion. While of course, the very argued opinion of Tenshi being a masochist fits the Lucario playstyle, many other things are similar! Lucario's ability to gauge people using the Aura is similar to Tenshi reading temperaments using the sword of Hisou! Furthermore, some of Tenshi's attack from the fighting games resembles Lucario's, like punching/pushing the opponent with both hands forward. Even specific things aside, the concept of Temperaments growing stronger as Tenshi grows pissed off sounds nice in my mind. And, obviously, who could forget the Final Smash; Scarlet Aura Rhapsody Beam.

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 06:06:05 AM »
I think Rayquaza = Giant Catfish
Rayquaza using dig(?) is the Giant Catfish's second spell card where it goes swimming
Rayquaza's Extremespeed is like GC's third spell card where it flies across to the other side of the screen

Both are kind of unexpected bosses, and they can both use Earthquake  :derp:

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
SinGyoku works better, since Duon has a yin-yang motif as well.
* OkashiiKisei facepalms.
Why didn't I think of that? I knew there should have been a better alternative.

I think Rayquaza = Giant Catfish
Rayquaza using dig(?) is the Giant Catfish's second spell card where it goes swimming
Rayquaza's Extremespeed is like GC's third spell card where it flies across to the other side of the screen

Both are kind of unexpected bosses, and they can both use Earthquake  :derp:
Namazu isn't serpent-like though, and would thus have trouble using things like Rayquaza's tail whip and snake movements. The Mishaguji are also used by Suwako to cultivate the lands, so they have an affinity for earth. SoPM even describes them as serpents made of stone. However, only Namazu could pull off Rayquaza's lightning attacks, and you've gotta have him in there somewhere...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:16:31 AM by OkashiiKisei »

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
Tenshi being a masochist fits the Lucario playstyle, many other things are similar!
I'd bring up that Tenshi being a masochist is fanon, but then I remembered that people are trying to use whatever argument they can to make the Touhou characters replace the SSB characters perfectly, so I'll let this pass.

EDIT: Just noticed the "the very argued opinion" part, so perhaps you don't really think she is a masochist.  Sorry for not reading things carefully and misunderstanding you...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:49:29 AM by game2011 »

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
I'd bring up that Tenshi being a masochist is fanon, but then I remembered that people are trying to use whatever argument they can to make the Touhou characters replace the SSB characters perfectly, so I'll let this pass.

EDIT: Just noticed the "the very argued opinion" part, so perhaps you don't really think she is a masochist.  Sorry for not reading things carefully and misunderstanding you...

Thank you for the edit, because it is the case. The only time I'll whole heartedly agree with masochist Tenshi is when everyone is just parodied on fanon flaws in the game/doujin. as a humor factor. God knows Tenshi was just boooored.

I also noticed that you encounter Tenshi in heaven, the highest spot in Gensokyo. Kind of like you encounter Lucario on a gigantic freakin' iceberg.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »
I think the Ice Climbers could Cirno and Dai. Again, Ice powers aside, the double team makes perfect sense; Two best friends, weak individually but strong together, and one is them is a blue leader~. Shooting cute icicles, freezing stuff, and doing adorable team jumps, those attacks are fairy-ish enough to me!
Except Daiyousei doesn't have ice-based powers.

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
You don't have to be, like, so stuck up to your first post or something like that.  Not sure how to put it...  It's also good if both characters have similarities in terms of visuals.

Getting a bit defensive, I did say that we can refute things. I just like seeing in-depth speculation, not "Kanako is Snake because snakes," for example. And although yes, Hisoutensoku is indeed a robot like Galleom...well, all we've seen the thing do is slash a pair of arm-swords. Closer to Duon's blue half, if you ask me. I'm simply refuting a claim and using speculation of my own, and providing at least a couple reasons why. If it gave the impression of "No, you're wrong, here's what I think, and obviously I am right," then I apologize. As for visuals...eh, very few actually fit. Tojiko, as stated to be like Pikachu, looks nothing like the electric mouse. Yet their movesets could be passable. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to look like the character they represent, it's just not necessary.

I do believe it's time to just put down the argument before we take up half the thread with it. Speculate away, ladies and gents! I'll try not to intrude as heavily...