Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 20: Shut up and take my Graze!  (Read 213585 times)

nguyenlc1993

• Extra stages are awesome!
Re: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 20: Shut up and take my Graze!
« Reply #720 on: August 04, 2013, 06:04:13 AM »
Timed out "Mountain of Faith" NMNBNFNV last night.
Not as hard as  "Virtue of Wind God", but a great challenge with No Focus & No Vertical conditions.  :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:26:33 PM by nguyenlc1993 »
Current goal: 1cc all extra stages
1cc Normal: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
1cc Hard: PCB
1cc Extra: PCB (Extra & Phantasm) SA, TD, DDC

« Reply #721 on: August 04, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
318,481,220 points with MarisaB Lunatic in the DDC trial. Funny thing is that I made some route changes that sets me back around 15-20m in stage 1, but I end up with around 12k higher PiV than the current 330m run on royalflare. My route is intended for the full release, I don't know if it's actually worth it for the trial, reason I got a so much better score is because I captured Kagerou's second and third spell card. Third time capping Kagerou's final (with a forward shot).

Still plenty of mistakes all over, I think getting well above 80k PiV is possible. make that 90k
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:15:20 PM by ARF »
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #722 on: August 04, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
First IN Hard 1cc, both paths.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:28:35 PM by Fonzi »

« Reply #723 on: August 04, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
I've started playing the Phantasmagoria games more, and after a few tries I finally 1cc'd it (Normal Marisa).

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #724 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »
got me a b-day capture of Reimu's Last Spell on Lunatic, meaning that I now have all of her spells done :toot:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=29674

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgHpA6ZOE4
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #725 on: August 04, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
And a PoFV Hard 1cc.

« Reply #726 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #727 on: August 05, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
Something really awesome happened randomly. I got to FinalB on IN Hard. I'm... beyond words. Almost got my second third Normal clear too.

« Reply #728 on: August 05, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
Froze the timer on Hydro Camouflage to grind it a bit. On one occasion, i managed to survive for a good 36 seconds. One silly death later I manage to survive it for 56 seconds.  :3

Just a little silly thing that happened when I was practicing today. I also got the groundwork done for a Stage 5 route but I'll have to wait until later tonight with playing more since i haven't eaten anything today and I can't really think straight.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #729 on: August 05, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »
If we're commenting on silly things, I had a run of Remilia after a while without and must have pulled one of the most assbackwards captures of Meister imaginable. Crossing under bubbles at the last second, squeezing between clouds of bullets like they were butter, it was pretty great. It's this card for the most part that makes Remi thrilling every time. Sorry, Shou-san!

This isn't the blogging thread I'm aware. As for more blogging: hype in 7 days!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:55:38 PM by BT »

« Reply #730 on: August 05, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Got my DDC trial MarisaB "WR" back! 331m like a boss :3
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #731 on: August 06, 2013, 01:46:33 AM »
Great Fairy Wars:

Normal 1cc, all routes
Extra Clear

I agree with people on GFW Extra being the hardest extra in the series. Took me quite a few tries to clear.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #732 on: August 06, 2013, 04:10:37 AM »
Got my DDC trial MarisaB "WR" back! 331m like a boss :3
Congratulations on regaining a record that was actually getting some competition! That's probably more of an accomplishment than the 13 uncompetitive records I had (which have now been reduced to 6 now that people are actually submitting better scores).

The stage 1-2 route looks like it's getting pretty interesting, as well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:28:14 AM by Karisa »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #733 on: August 06, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »
I agree with people on GFW Extra being the hardest extra in the series. Took me quite a few tries to clear.

Um, people say LLS's Extra is the hardest, even ZUN said that Gengetsu is the hardest Touhou boss. (But then again that was awhile back, I wonder what he thinks now)

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #734 on: August 06, 2013, 06:25:13 AM »
Um, people say LLS's Extra is the hardest, even ZUN said that Gengetsu is the hardest Touhou boss. (But then again that was awhile back, I wonder what he thinks now)
Really? I've heard people say that she's actually not the hardest Extra boss if you're fighting her normally and avoid the super hard timeout phase of her last attack. I haven't really played the pc-98 games though so I can't say my opinion on her difficulty.

I just checked an Extra boss difficulty thread on another Touhou messageboard, and the people who had played GFW generally ranked it's Extra pretty high, but not necessarily the hardest. Also, many of them haven't played the pc-98 games, so there could be an extra boss they hadn't fought yet that they'd find to be harder than any of the Extra bosses they had faced. I'll try to do more research before claiming that most people find something in Touhou to be hard or easy in the future. Also, I guess I can't really say I "agree" on something being the easiest or hardest "in the series" if I haven't played all the games yet. And I'll try to keep in mind that relative difficulty between games can vary from person to person.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:33:40 AM by Andrew »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #735 on: August 06, 2013, 06:40:37 AM »
Gengetsu isn't that different difficulty-wise from the other Extra bosses. Her last two patterns can be pretty difficult to capture, but most Extras have a few patterns like that. The stage also gives you 8 extra lives, which is quite high for Extra.

Personally, excluding SoEW (its Extra, though rather short compared to later games, has very low resources, combined with the general SoEW control/hitbox issues), I'd rank the most difficult as GFW Marisa. Even though that stage gives you quite a lot of lives, you get comparatively fewer bombs (one death only gives you 25% of a bomb, instead of 2-3 bombs like in other games), and it's a very long stage. The bullets also get pretty fast and more random compared to many other Extras.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #736 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
I think people consider her the hardest because of the PC-98 games and how it's hard to see some bullets due to the backgrounds and other bullets/objects being a distraction. As cool as Alice's background may be, it's kinda hard for me to concentrate. If she was an Extra boss in the windows games then that would be a different story.

But Marisa I've only played GFW's Extra a few times, I don't like GFW and played it only for 1CC it, I simply don't like some of the design choices ZUN choose for the freeze gimmick.

Zil

« Reply #737 on: August 06, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
Actually, nevermind. Talking about difficulty annoys me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:31:25 PM by Zil »

« Reply #738 on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »
And now, I finally got around to finishing up Imperishable Night Lunatic No-bombs. Since I don't like Kaguya's fight, I decided to just go for Eirin's instead because I find it more fun and more fair.

While Kaguya is a quite attractive girl, her bullet patterns are anything but seeing how the first two spells are very random and have nasty elements of luck-basedness to them, the third one is just boring streaming and the final two are some that I dislike intensely for being horrible and terrible respectively. I guess I can toss around a few words about the run.

Stage 1 and 2 goes without problems. Stage 3 however sees me completely forgetting about my stage 3 strats and needing to wing it which I fail to do. Then I manage to get to Marisa's 2nd non without dying more but then starts the trainwreck. I get hit by her 2nd non, i get hit by her 2nd spell because why not. Then i proceed to get walled on the stage portion afterwards before ultimately dying on Master Spark. Wow. Epic handling of Stage 4. This loli is pleased.

Then Stage 5. Stage 5 goes nicely by with the exception of a bit of an interruption by a bunny being dressed in a far too dazzling and alluring outfit for me to properly concentrate meaning that despite dodging the toughest part of her pattern, i still manage to position myself right where the curving red lanes are going.... Really Tewi? was that necessary? Well guess where THIS curving red lane is going you stupid bunny. Rest of the game i manage to NMNB (though i do get hit by Reisen's last spell).

Overall, i guess most of the failures in this run can just be attributed to being played by Zengeku which means it's bound to fuck up somewhere and why not have it be at some of the normally easiest parts of the game? It's a real Zengeku play. Very silly. Perhabs some would say it has an ounce of impressiveness to it too but i dunno man, it's not as impressive as my *omitted*.

Anyway, quite a bit lengthy of a post but eh. I want to type up lengthy things when i do things that makes me happy. You wanna know what else is lengthy? No? Okay fine. It didn't cost too much anyway so i guess most could afford it.

Attention-whore post finished. I guess employing that Flandre cheerleader was all that it took to get the necessary motivation. Turns out that once you are harder than the game you're trying to beat, the game you are trying to beat isn't that harder anymore! Think about that for a moment! It's quite deep.  :3

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #739 on: August 07, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
Great Fairy Wars:

A-1 Hard 1cc
1cced A-2 Hard, ON MY FIRST TRY.

Either the Hard A routes are easier than Extra or I just suddenly got way better at this game. I suppose the fact that the patterns were just variations of stuff I've seen before helped.

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
« Reply #740 on: August 07, 2013, 08:31:27 AM »
I got to Marisa in GFW.
Alright, okay, that's pretty shitty. But it's an accomplishment for me! (Given that now all of the extra stages for me are unlocked.)
(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #741 on: August 07, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Either the Hard A routes are easier than Extra or I just suddenly got way better at this game. I suppose the fact that the patterns were just variations of stuff I've seen before helped.
From Normal to Hard, there's the addition of revenge bullets that can be used to quickly recharge your ice, which not only can help clear bullets, but gives you more lives/bombs/power from the additional freezes. Also, with more bullets, your freezes travel farther, which increases the ice area per freeze (again, more resources/power). So it makes sense that GFW Hard isn't much more difficult to 1cc than Normal. It plays rather differently though.

Exxelent_

• The worst of the worst.
« Reply #743 on: August 08, 2013, 03:18:33 AM »
Got my first Lunatic 1CC. Shortly after I game over'd to Miko's final, I was about ready to stop playing for the rest of the day but I'm glad I kept on.

blase6

« Reply #744 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »
Right now I just 1cc'd Mountain of Faith on Lunatic with Reimu B. I had no lives and <1 power left by the final spell card. I already 1cc'd Lunatic with Reimu A. Now on to Reimu C...

« Reply #745 on: August 08, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
Scored 1.54b on Mountain of Faith Lunatic. Neato.

Words about the run:

Stage 1: Standard fair. Ends with 245k faith because i can't be bothered with the bomb-milkings too much. I don't enjoy this stage, it's boring and irritating so I just minimize the amount of pain I have to go through so that I can get on with the game.

Stage 2: Evidently I haven't brushed up on my routes for this for a while because holy hell. Things went baaaad. Hina gave me a rather uncomfortable wave on her second spellcard, possibly as retribution for last nights ventures in her private quarters or maybe just because the RNG felt bitchy. Thankfully i managed to pull through it anyway and managed the rest of the fight without incident.

Stage 3: I forget how to handle the fairies that comes in before the 4 big cancel fairies and it forces me to bomb. Probably a very badly placed bomb too because it wasn't planned at all. I have muscle memory in my hands for this bit but apparently they aren't integrated enough. This bit of a setback leaves me with less than full power for Nitori's 'peeking at boy's dongs' in the onsen undetected-device' spellcard. I capture it because admittedly, i've been using that device for similar purposes for a while now so i know how it works. Rest of stage 3 progresses fine until the end fairies who are jerkbutts and give me a wall. Maybe i handled it wrong, i probably did. Then Nitori comes. I handle her gently and with great skill as usual, though by the end of it. She seems to have commies in the lusthouse (Danish slanglol, you can probably figure it out) so she gives me nasty RNG on the final forcing me to bomb or do risky dodges. I go with the former.

Stage 4: Oh my gods, this stage. I have no routes for this, please help me. The worst part about this is that the bomb on Nitori's final before leaves me with 3xx power on Stage 4 which is very bad. I need those bombs to bomb for point items but i also need to keep my power level high for Aya. Unable to juggle the responsibility of safeguarding the entire worlds safety from the cataclysmic event of me losing my cute score, i enter panic mode and simply bomb everything in sight. I then reach Aya with 1xx power and i'm officially, irreperably fucked. I have to bomb her first spellcard and then when i get to PWG, i eye out an opportunity to avoid the bullets but fail to grasp it, instead ramming into a bullet.

In hindsight though, i believe this death was for the better so that i could enter Stage 5 with power. Without power you don't go very far.

Stage 5: Most of the stage 5 route was carried out properly i think. I could of course not test it's merit entirely because of the power deficit but it had to do. No major mistakes anyway, i think. Not before the end of the stage where i do a horribly placed bomb and also manage to get myself to full power way too early. Very badly played there. Ooops. Then comes the true buster. The Stage 5 boss. And i'm kinda tempted to just arrange a bitch-hunt where me and the jolly fellows gang up on that shrine maiden to dig her kettle with wanton disregard to her personal feelings. Why such brutality? Well, because that death on Moses Miracle or whatever her 2nd card is called made me cry way more than she would ever do. ... SERIOUSLY?! what? dying? to that?!. Soooooo dumb. I am very disappointed with that failure. It was really stupid. Could've scored far better than 1.54b if that hadn't happened. 40 million for the life alone, plus not dropping faith, the items afterwards and the spellbonus? Probably in 1.7b territory. Also had to bomb the final because nerves and bad luck.

Stage 6: I think I do this stage rather decently, though i don't have a good method for some of it so that shows. Kanako goes down without misses and only one deathbomb on Yamato Torus. I even manage to capture VoWG which I'm quite happy about. I'm quite intimately familiar with this card so I have the confidence to chance it in a run like this. Dunno if i would have the guts to attempt it if I hadn't died on superslut 2000 but given the runs nature, i decided to give it my best shot and it was sufficient. Overall, i'm quite happy with this run, despite the stupidity. It's to be expected to have poor performance in areas when your approach to this game is as casual as mine is.

Well. This was quite a blog. I must've been bitten by a wild seppo or something. Anyway, nobody will read this lol. I just needed to get some thoughts organized.

« Reply #746 on: August 08, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
Ahoy, I don't believe I have posted before, and am probably doing something wrong, but bear with me. I recently uploaded a Utsoho Hard mode run to youtube (Honestly, I can do better) and would just like opinions on it, and also, I'm not sure if I should beat her on lunatic and upload it, or do some sort of fancy no bombing, or no dying run on hard or normal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JlA_gK7-A is the video, so, enjoy :D

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #747 on: August 08, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »
Oppsy, forgot to post this here yesterday :derp:

SA Lunatic 1 Miss No-Bomb with ReimuA!  One day.... one day!  :ohdear:

Also got this lil' run today~

MoF Lunatic No-Focus with ReimuA!
I'm surprised there's only one other MoF lunatic no-focus on gensokyo, haha, perhaps people are just too sensible for these silly challenges  :3 Someone do more MoF looney no-focus!!
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

« Reply #748 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22:39 AM »

YES YES FINALLY! Finally finished GFW Lunatic with 1000% motivation! It's only on Route C2 and I completely gave up on trying to milk Three Fairies to get the other two fairies to die first, but I'll take it either way. I think the only section that I really cheesed was that part after Sunny midboss in C2-3, because damn if I'm going to let another run fail because I screwed up there.

Also managed to score a decent 71.7 million (what a monstrous clear bonus) with pretty much no scoring emphasis besides milking a few non-spells. That somehow puts me in 1st place for C2 on the high score list for these forums, and 8th on royalflare. Says quite a bit about how competitive route C2 scoring is more so than my playing ability though.

Well next up on my backlog of things to do is GFW Extra no bombs, and then I'll see about getting back to TD LNBNT, which I hope doesn't drive me to take another week-long break.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #749 on: August 09, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
1cced all Hard routes in Great Fairy Wars. Since the game's Hard and Lunatic modes are easy compared to most other games due to more bullets to freeze giving you more resources, I practiced C2 Hard some more, and eventually got a C2 Hard 1cc with 786% motivation. Not as good as finishing Lunatic with 1000% motivation (Speaking of that, congratulations to Tsym for achieving that), but I'm satisfied with it.