Author Topic: DEFCON Mafia (Night 2, DEFCON 2)  (Read 74912 times)

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
DEFCON Mafia (Night 2, DEFCON 2)
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:09:51 AM »
DEFCON MAFIA
"Everybody dies."

In AD 2013, war was beginning.

Still Alive:
1. ActionDan
3. Dormio
4. Serela ft. J-Doe
5. NekoNekoRex ft. Dorian G.
7. Shadoweh
8. huhwhat Massaca
9. Zakeri
10. BT
11. rawr
12. PX

Wiped off the face of the Earth:
2. I have no name (American, Missile silo) - Lynched Day 1
6. Raikaria (American, Missile silo) - Lynched Day 2

Useful Links:
DEFCON 5 begins
DEFCON 4 begins
Day 1, DEFCON 3 begins
I have no name lynched Day 1
Day 2, DEFCON 2 begins
Raikaria lynched Day 2
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:57:48 AM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Conqueror

Re: DEFCON Mafia (Setup Phase)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:16 AM »
General Rules:
-Inactivity sucks. Post at least once per 24 hours or eat prod. Multiple prods or extensive inactivity may result in force replacement.
-Use ##Vote to vote and ##Unvote to unvote. Unvotes are not required before revotes. Votes/unvotes will still be counted if the intent is clear.
-Lynch occurs at majority. No majority = no lynch. You may also ##Vote for No Lynch.
-No quoting private communications with the mod unless otherwise specified. You may paraphrase. Ask for clarification if you are unsure.
-No editing posts.
-No posting in the thread at night.
-You may talk after the hammer until the mod reaches the thread, but game actions (such as nukes) will not be counted.
-Bah posts are banned.
-No game talk outside the game.
-Play nice.
-Play to win, and have fun.

Setup Rules:
The setup for this game is 8:3:1. The game is full flip - all abilities will be flipped along with alignment.
There are 8 American players.
Welcome to DEFCON Mafia, [PLAYERNAME]! You are a well-established and important member of the American military. After one too many weekend games of Dota with сука being repeatedly spammed across your screen, you've concluded, deep down in your heart, that the Russians threaten the American way of life. They must be defeated at all costs, and your fellow weekend gamers agree with you!

You are aligned with the United States of America. You win if, for 48 hours, all threats to the USA have been neutralized and at least one American remains alive.
There are 3 Russian players.
Welcome to DEFCON Mafia, [PLAYERNAME]! You are a brilliant military tactician and a high-ranking officer in the Russian Federation. You are also the nostalgic type, and you look back to the good old days when the Americans hadn't yet crashed the entire world economy with their housing bubble shenanigans. In an ideal world, the Americans would be punished for their impudence. And so, with a group of your fellow officers, you've covertly obtained some Soviet-era weaponry that can be put to good use. Justice will be served.

[PLAYERNAME] and [PLAYERNAME] are your fellow Russian colleagues. You may communicate with them at any time here: [URL]. You are reminded that communications are not always secure.

You are aligned with Russia. You win if, for 48 hours, all threats to the Russians have been neutralized and at least one Russian remains alive.
There is 1 North Korean player.
Welcome to DEFCON Mafia, [PLAYERNAME]! Some people just want to watch the world burn. You are one of those people. What are non-aggression pacts? What are emergency hotlines? You hate the United States. You hate Russia. In fact, you're pretty sure you hate everyone. Fortunately, as a rogue military general, you have the means to clearly express your opinion by way of excessive violence.

You are aligned with only yourself. You win if everyone else has been neutralized, even if you are no longer alive.

The game has day and night phases, as well as a series of "defense readiness" stages, ranging from DEFCON 5 to DEFCON 1.

DEFCON 5 ? Normal readiness ? 24 hours.
* Discussion and confirmation, no voting.
* Quicktopics are open.

DEFCON 4 ? Increased intelligence watch and strengthened security measures ?  24 hours.
* Discussion, no voting.
* Quicktopics are open.
* Players PM me which role they want. Your choice is permanent for the entire game.

DEFCON 3 ? Air Force ready to mobilize ?  5 days or until lynch.
* Votes allowed.
* Following lynch, there is a 24 hour night phase during which players may use active abilities.
* All militaries switch to encrypted callsigns. Private communication channels are still open, but any messages sent during the day phase have a 15% chance of their contents being intercepted by Wikileaks and posted publically in the thread.

DEFCON 2 ? Armed Forces ready to deploy and engage ?  5 days or until lynch.
* All non-town factions gain a factional nightkill: Stealth Bomber (@Playername)
* Everything else same as DEFCON 3.

DEFCON 1 ? Maximum readiness. Nuclear war is imminent ?  5 days or until lynch.
* Nuclear launch becomes available to all players with missile silo in nuclear launch mode.
* Game cycles like this with regular day/night cycles until a wincon is reached.
* Everything else same as DEFCON 2.

Roles:
During DEFCON 4, players choose the form of military they wish to deploy: a missile silo, or some other troop.

An unlimited number of players may choose missile silo. Missile Silos operate in either offensive nuclear launch mode or defensive anti-ballistic missile mode. You must choose to place your silo in one of these two modes, and during the night phase, you may change the mode your silo is deployed in by PMing the mod.
Nuclear launch mode:
As the commander of a nuclear facility, you have a nuke. In DEFCON 1, one per game day, you may attempt to kill another player by posting the command Nuke: [PLAYERNAME] in the thread. Nukes will take 48 hours to hit their target. You may post Abort Nuclear Launch up to 24 hours after firing to cancel your nuke, but you will not be able to nuke again that game day. Nukes will continue through the night and irregardless of whether the nuker is dead or alive. Note that nukes cannot be cancelled at night as the thread will be locked.
Anti-Ballistic missile mode:
The ABM missile systems are counter-ICBM rockets designed to shoot down incoming enemy warheads. In this mode, the first nuclear launch targeting you each day will fail.

If you are being targeted with a nuclear missile, you may post I do not wish to die a painful radioactive death in the thread. This will cause you to commit suicide and leave the game immediately, unpreventable by any abilities.

Other roles are limited to one instance per game. If multiple players choose the same ability, the selection will be randomized via a draft system, where I will attempt to award all players their first choice, using randomization to break ties, and then attempt to award the unlucky players their second choice, etc, until everything is resolved. Players should send in a list of multiple choices ranked by preference in case they do not receive their first choice. If you do not successfully choose another role, you will default to missile silo in nuclear launch mode.

Possible non-nuclear troops:
Fighter - The fast and lightweight fighter is easily able to penetrate enemy territory, making it the perfect craft for reconnaissance. Each night, target a player. I will reveal their role to you.
Espionage - Knowing is half the battle, and when a nation needs to know, it relies on its clandestine organizations like the CIA or MI6 to get the job done. Choose a faction you are not aligned with, I will reveal to you whether target player is aligned with that faction or not.
Aircraft Carrier - The monstrous aircraft carrier is capable of parking itself just outside territorial waters, allowing it to shoot down enemy troops or ICBMs before they leave enemy territory and become a threat to the globe. All abilities activated by target player fail. The following day, all nuclear launches by target player fail.
Battleship - Mobile, hidden in the wide open sea away from population centers, capable of withstanding even the most directed air strikes, and armed with an array of incredibly powerful weapons, a battleship is one of the safest places on the planet. Each night, you may target a player. If a player would be eliminated because of a single non-nuclear activated ability, that player survives instead.
Radar - The night may be dark, but your radar screen is neon green. And it?s hard to miss stuff flashing in neon green. Each night, you may target a player. I will reveal to you any players that player targets. Note: Factional Nightkills cannot be tracked.
Submarine - Silent and deadly, a submerged nuclear submarines can survive for months without surfacing and can creep incredibly close to enemy shores without being detected. You may launch nuclear weapons as though you possessed a missile silo in nuclear launch mode without revealing yourself as the aggressor. Will scan as Missile Silo to the Fighter.
Eavesdrop - A crucial part of the Allies? success during WWII was its ability to crack into German communications. It worked then. Why wouldn?t it work now? In DEFCON 3 or below, every time a member of an opposing faction communicates with another member of its faction privately during the night, there is a 15% chance the message will be intercepted and its contents PM?d to you. During the day, this possibility increases to 30%.
Air base - Capable of deploying a wide variety of response aircraft within seconds and fortified to the brink, any infrastructure surrounding the air base becomes incredibly difficult to penetrate. You are immune to all non-nuclear activated abilities, including the factional nightkills.
Fail Safe -  Courtesy of Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. If you are targeted by a player with a nuclear launch, you automatically launch a nuclear weapon targeting the player targeting you. If you are killed by the stealth bomber, you may make a single post in the thread containing only the words Nuke: [PLAYERNAME] up to 48 hours after your death. Your launches cannot be recalled or prevented.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:02:21 PM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:28 AM »
FAQ:

Q: At DEFCON 4, when we choose what to deploy, will that be our only chance to deploy something during the game?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I have a missile silo and an active or passive ability? ?
A: No, you can only have one. If you receive an active or passive ability, you don?t get a silo and cannot launch nuclear weapons.

Q: How many times can I use my activated ability?
A: Activated abilities are just like standard roles from normal mafia ? you use them during the night phase and they have an unlimited number of shots (unless otherwise specified).

Q: If someone has Eavesdrop, does the +30% chance of intercepting communications get added to the +15% chance at DEFCON 3 or above?
A: The Eavesdrop calculation is made independently of the default 15% chance. So, if a message is posted during the day, there is first a 15% chance it gets posted publically, and then a 30% chance it gets sent to the player with Eavesdrop.

Q: If communications are intercepted, is the author of the communication also revealed?
A: No, only the text of the message is dropped. The author?s name will never be revealed.

Q: Does Battleship save you from a lynch?
A: No.

Q: Does the Stealth Bomber qualify as a non-nuclear strike?
A: Yes, the Stealth Bomber uses conventional weapons and is non-nuclear.

Q: Does anything ?reset? the DEFCON counts backwards?
A: No, the DEFCON level continually decreases until it hits DEFCON 1, where it will remain until the game has completed.

Q: If Town is lynched at 3p and their are nukes in the air, do the scum win automatically or do the nukes land post-lynch and then win conditions are resolved?
A: At least one member of a faction must survive for at least 48 hours after all enemy nations have been eliminated in order for that faction to win, which leaves ample time for any stray nukes in the air to land (even if their launchers are dead).

Q: What if, because of fail safe or other retaliatory nuclear launches, everyone dies?
A: North Korea wins.

Q: Will the fail safe activate on the submarine?

Q: Does the radar track kills?
A: No.

Q: Can the factional nightkills be used in addition to other abilities?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:49:09 PM by Conqueror »

Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:08:44 AM »
Day 1, DEFCON 5

WASHINGTON (AP) ? Gridlock intensifies as both parties dig into their trenches in the latest budget standoff. An anonymous Pentagon official voiced concern that the cuts called for by the sequester could jeopardize important military training operations. "It's very important that we allow these war games to continue, as they provide valuable field training for our operatives."

MOSCOW (Reuters) ? Putin kills bear with bare hands; saves schoolbus full of children.

PYONGYANG (Weekly World News) ? Kim Jong-un and PSY never seen in public together, report researchers.

Defcon 5 begins now. All PMs are now out. Confirm in thread. The phase will last about 24 hours.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:40:30 AM by Conqueror »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
Re: DEFCON Mafia (DEFCON 5)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »
You can't make me confirm.

Re: DEFCON Mafia (DEFCON 5)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:21 AM »
"DEFCONFIRMED" - hilarious joke that i wanted to be the first person to make

Re: DEFCON Mafia (Game Start, DEFCON 5)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
this being an actual phase means we can spam the thread and talk :>

i claim mafia, any counterclaims?

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
actually that post would have been better if i had said "def. confirmed"

well whatever

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:46:41 AM »
def. confirmed
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:48:06 AM »
I wonder if we can lynch HW for taking refuge in audacity.

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »
Dormio is scum.

Serious read.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
We get 48 hours to roll around in the prairie, right?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 06:55:31 AM »
Pretty much! I like bread rolls...

...I'm gonna go eat something.

* Serela chews on Shadoweh
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:56:19 AM »
This game is already tl;dr
i claim mafia, any counterclaims?

Yeah I'm here.

:smug:

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »
dormio is the third scum and zak is the SK because he doesn't feel like reading the thread and that is not town effort

game cracked open

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
Man, I'm always SK.
Can't I just be a normal vig for once?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »
Kill all Commies. Fuck yeah America! USA! USA! USA! USA! Down with communism, democracy fuck yeah!

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
I'm here to play card games and bomb terrorists. IN AMERICA.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
I shall confirm in an American style my Americanism.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
confirm

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
ALL HAIL THE BELOVED LEADER!

I MEAN CONFIRM

Don't lynch me.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 11:53:04 PM »
Confirmed
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:13:29 AM »
That's everyone :D

...except this isn't exactly an "ends when all confirm" phase

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »
So uhhh, I'm extremely busy at night now so at most I can get a few hours per day. Don't expect me to be active that much.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:54 AM »
I should also mention now I'm going to be in transit for pretty much the entirety of march 14th and part of the 15th.  After that I shouldn't have any issues being around. So, I won't post for the first half of d1?

Pretty much like normal, in other words :V

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
So uhhh, I'm extremely busy at night now so at most I can get a few hours per day. Don't expect me to be active that much.
##Vote: PX Your vote is already bad and you haven't even made it

This has nothing to do with how I feel about my last game
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 01:39:58 AM »
CONQ we're all here damnit hurry up and start the next phase, I don't want to wait until 1am!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:06 AM »
Dormio should give a solid reason to not vote him over his response to my post.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »
Because you smell.