Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212078 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:07 AM »
Believe me, when thats been your life for the past several years, you get kinda sick of it

At least your school probably hasn't almost completely mismanaged your life for that length of time like mine has.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:25 AM »
At least your school probably hasn't almost completely mismanaged your life for that length of time like mine has.
Nope, they just completely screwed me over when it came to dealing with bullies. But that's a story for another topic :V
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
Well, skype might work, but it doesn't have a dice functionality. I don't really do MSN either, and it's got the same problem.
So the best course of action would be IRC. You can rig up a dicebot for that y'know, I know a few folks who could help with that.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #213 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:45 AM »
Yeah, IRC would be a great idea for playing the game, but we're talking about roleplaying through non-game mechanics here :P

And uh... Silly question, what's IRC anyway?

Nevermind, Googled it.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #214 on: December 12, 2012, 02:35:19 AM »
I wrote a dice-rolling script for message boards a little while back. I put it up on my host right here.
First a game must be created by someone (ignore the password given to you, it's useless). Players can then generate rolls through the link given when the game is created (which are returned as images generated by the server, so there's no altering them).

The sequence number is incremented by 1 whenever someone generates a roll. If someone posts a roll that doesn't follow the previous roll's sequence number, it's good cause to go and review the rolls generated during this game to see if any cheating took place. For instance...

...There's a pretty big gap in sequence numbers (3 for the roll to hit, then suddenly 18 for the next roll; where are the missing 15 rolls???) so one can review the rolls (here, game number = 1) and see that I really just re-rolled until I got the best value possible and posted that - cheat attempt fail! ;(

If it's any useful to you guys, enjoy. :)

(Edit: Cleaned it up a bit. The interface should now be viewable without the need to bleach one's eyes clean afterwards.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:19:06 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #215 on: December 12, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
Oh, wow, thanks Ethan!

I was wondering if you'd take interest in this but I didn't think you'd give us a dieroller!  :]

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #216 on: December 12, 2012, 02:43:30 AM »
あれれ?! It's Silver-dono! It's been a while since he's appeared anywhere. 久しぶりだな~.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2012, 02:45:32 AM »
That dice rolling program is fantastic  :] Thanks!

You're awesome.  :smug:

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #218 on: December 12, 2012, 03:31:29 AM »
I wrote a dice-rolling script for message boards a little while back. I put it up on my host right here.
First a game must be created by someone (ignore the password given to you, it's useless). Players can then generate rolls through the link given when the game is created (which are returned as images generated by the server, so there's no altering them).

The sequence number is incremented by 1 whenever someone generates a roll. If someone posts a roll that doesn't follow the previous roll's sequence number, it's good cause to go and review the rolls generated during this game to see if any cheating took place. For instance...

...There's a pretty big gap in sequence numbers (3 for the roll to hit, then suddenly 18 for the next roll; where are the missing 15 rolls???) so one can review the rolls (here, game number = 1) and see that I really just re-rolled until I got the best value possible and posted that - cheat attempt fail! ;(

If it's any useful to you guys, enjoy. :)

Ooo very nice, that'll definetly come in useful, and it reminded me or something I saw a while back while looking for the Cthulhu P&P Games, but I forget where I found it and if we are gonna use Skype, you can get my Skype by clicking the little Skype icon under my signature, that's what it's there for :P

Edit: Alright, I was kinda curious as to how Moon Rabbits are in original ToPL, and after looking at there racial trait in the original pdf, their main Racial Trait doesn't really make em all that useful
Racial Ability: Grace Under Fire
All Moon Rabbits are capable of sending
telepathic messages to any other Moon Rabbit,
regardless of the distance between them. Messages
sent are directed at a specific individual, are
instantaneous, and are comprised only of words akin
to hearing the voice of the sender in the recipient?s
head. There is no limit to the length of the message
that can be sent. Moon Rabbits can choose to block
out any incoming messages, though the sender won?t
know that the recipient did not hear her message. It
is not possible for a third Moon Rabbit to eavesdrop
on the telepathic conversation between two others.
Kinda really only makes them useful as Messengers really, and their other Racial Trait is essentially nullified in the Redux's new default Hitbox size of -1, so they could use liek some kind of new Racial Ability to replace the hit box one, possibly related to the manipulation of waves similar to Reisen, since as far as I'm aware of, all Moon Rabbits can manipulate waves in a similar fashion to Reisen.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:59:02 AM by Zork787 »
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
Maybe give them a bonus when teamed up with other Rabbits(Both Rabbit Youkai, and Moon Rabbits)?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »
Oh hey, Ikari, regarding when we were talking about poltergeists and evil spirits and stuff---maybe have vengeful ghosts (i.e. Murasa) be yet another subclass of ghosts or constructs or whatever class included poltergeists and animate objects?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Maybe give them a bonus when teamed up with other Rabbits(Both Rabbit Youkai, and Moon Rabbits)?

That could work. Give them telepathy + -1 hitbox rate when fighting along another rabbit would be fine.

Oh hey, Ikari, regarding when we were talking about poltergeists and evil spirits and stuff---maybe have vengeful ghosts (i.e. Murasa) be yet another subclass of ghosts or constructs or whatever class included poltergeists and animate objects?

Isn't a vengeful ghost/spirit just a ghost with malicious intents?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
Typically, that's what they are.

Also, I'm having trouble thinking up an ability for Minako. Hibiki's came naturally to me, but Minako's proving to be more troublesome.
...Then again, considering who it is...
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »
Typically, that's what they are.

Then making a ghost with evil intents should work fine, right?  :3

Also, I'm having trouble thinking up an ability for Minako. Hibiki's came naturally to me, but Minako's proving to be more troublesome.
...Then again, considering who it is...

My memory is failing me. Minako was...?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
The Kitsune, remember?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »
The Kitsune, remember?

*hits his forehead*

Stupid memory. I'm not too good with names, sorry. I remembered everything about her but that ._.

Ability... I'm bedafuzzled as well.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
Isn't a vengeful ghost/spirit just a ghost with malicious intents?

I...Frack, I can't remember.

I don't know the term for a ghost that exhibits behavior and/or haunts territory related to the time/place/circumstances of its death! That is what I am aiming at here, but I forget the name.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
I believe you're looking for this?

As for Minako, something that was a possibility was something to do with Magnetic Fields. But I dunno if that'd fit her whole character.
I mean, she's essentially a model for the various Tengu Newspapers, she hangs out with Momiji and Nitori when she can, and she herself looks up to Tamamo-no-Mae.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »
I believe you're looking for this?

Either that or yurei.

EDIT: Maybe it'd just be better to make them as custom youkai than have them as a species baked into the rules, 'cause apparently Touhou metaphysics are wack since Yuyuko's death was pretty dang traumatic and she doesn't have any sort of vengeful ghostly OCD, whereas Murasa does. :getdown:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:27:45 PM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
Well, it's presumed that Yuyuko also flat-out forgot it.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »
Well, it's presumed that Yuyuko also flat-out forgot it.

Oooh, right. Forgot about that big glaring character-central detail. :getdown:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
So central that it was a big-time mechanic to the class itself. :V
Ah well, I still need to find out a power for Minako.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
I still say "ghost" should be an overarching category with various subclasses beneath it.

Then again I seem to be making a mistake in classifying poltergeists as ghosts when they're more like echoes of the original person's behavior rather than a lost soul.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
Ah well, I still need to find out a power for Minako.

I actually have quite a few powers in stock if you need any (all of them pass being both strong when used correctly and unique for the most part [compared to normal powers] in my opinion). Although there is one specific one that comes in mind when reading about Minako-san. Although I think I'll PM it since it may seem weird at first and needs explaining to understand.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »
Vengeful ghosts also differ in that they can summon thunder and, if they're powerful enough, make lightning fall  ("Making thunder fall is actually a common ability for vengeful spirits [...] For small vengeful spirits, they can only make a rumbling sound at most, but as their level of resentment increases they can make crackling sounds, and great vengeful spirits can actually cause thunder").

Regarding their creation, Kanako says "Vengeful spirits are a kind of phantom and are basically the same, but a phantom that comes from a human that gave in to malice or carries a strong grudge, and strays from the cycle of reincarnation by remaining a phantom eternally is called a vengeful spirit".
So they come from both bad people ("Humans that are condemned to Hell after death often become vengeful spirits") and people that have strong grudges (like Tojiko; I'd guess her grudge was against Futo for killing her).

It also seems that, although losing their grudge makes them stop being classified as vengeful spirits, they retain their lighting related powers ("Fortunately, her grudge has almost dissipated, and she is turning into an mere thunder-causing ghost")

BTW, Murasa isn't a "vengeful spirit"; she's a "restless spirit", a phantom that could not even cross the Sanzu river because of lingering attachments to the world.

The ghost category will end up having more sub-entries than the whole race list if you take ZUN's full ghost taxonomy into account :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:59:00 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
Although there is one specific one that comes in mind when reading about Minako-san. Although I think I'll PM it since it may seem weird at first and needs explaining to understand.

Awwwrrr, it seemed interesting  :(

*Great Info*

Basically, they're ghosts with specific abilities. But essentially, if I'm not mistaken (or very dense), they're a sub-class of ghost, thus players can make vengeful spirits with the ghost class template.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
I actually have quite a few powers in stock if you need any (all of them pass being both strong when used correctly and unique for the most part [compared to normal powers] in my opinion). Although there is one specific one that comes in mind when reading about Minako-san. Although I think I'll PM it since it may seem weird at first and needs explaining to understand.

Oh? Do tell.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:58 PM »
Awwwrrr, it seemed interesting  :(
Oh? Do tell.

Should I just post it here?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »
Basically, they're ghosts with specific abilities. But essentially, if I'm not mistaken (or very dense), they're a sub-class of ghost, thus players can make vengeful spirits with the ghost class template.
Yeah, I think that'd work fine; there should only be an extra stat like "grudge-level" or something to determinate their thunder powers. Maybe something like the modifiers based on the number of tails a kitsune have.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
Should I just post it here?

Sure, I'd like to see what you have in mind  :D

Yeah, I think that'd work fine; there should only be an extra stat like "grudge-level" or something to determinate their thunder powers. Maybe saomething like the number of tails a kitsune have.

Yeah, something like that could be worked out. That's actually a good idea.