Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 172597 times)

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #990 on: November 13, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »
I heard from this forum that they have their own version of Reitaisai in Taiwan as well.  Being Taiwanese myself, this interests me greatly.  Does anyone have more info on this?  Pics will be nice too.

Thanks in advance!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #991 on: November 13, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
I know next to nothing about Taiwan's Touhou scene, but this is pretty easy to find. It's called 東方楓華宴, held each fall in Taipei since 2010.

Official site:
http://th.eventranger.cc/

A lot more can be found by googling it.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Ran-Rii

• Regular at Patchouli's Library
  • In Patchouli's Library, reading books
« Reply #992 on: November 14, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
May I know if there is a giant directory of the "Touhou: Unthinkable Natural Law/The english name I do not remember how to spell" players' I.P. Addresses? IDK if this is the right section, but "Misc questions"... so...

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #993 on: November 15, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »
What's the right spelling of Youkai? Youkai or Y?kai? I've seen both, and I have no idea which is ''better''. (Or if either is better) And what's the plural of Youkai anyway?

And a somewhat shameful question, does anyone know where I can find more information about different kind of Youkai? I have no idea where to look and wikipedia is just... empty.

Ran-Rii

• Regular at Patchouli's Library
  • In Patchouli's Library, reading books
« Reply #994 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:50 AM »
What's the right spelling of Youkai? Youkai or Y?kai? I've seen both, and I have no idea which is ''better''. (Or if either is better) And what's the plural of Youkai anyway?

And a somewhat shameful question, does anyone know where I can find more information about different kind of Youkai? I have no idea where to look and wikipedia is just... empty.

Alrighty...
Youkai is the original spelling, and the latter you provided is also usable. I'd prefer to stick to the original "Youkai" though.

Go for Touhou wiki, and google "Perfect Memento in a Strict Sense". It is by ZUN Akyuu, so it should be accurate.

http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense
^Here's the link.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #995 on: November 15, 2012, 01:31:01 AM »

Alrighty...
Youkai is the original spelling, and the latter you provided is also usable. I'd prefer to stick to the original "Youkai" though.

Go for Touhou wiki, and google "Perfect Memento in a Strict Sense". It is by ZUN Akyuu, so it should be accurate.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense
^Here's the link.

BUT AKYU IS SO UNRELIABLE AS A NARRATOR Thanks!

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #996 on: November 15, 2012, 03:19:42 AM »
Specifically, it's a question of romanization style. I personally prefer the style that uses "youkai" because it leaves the number of characters equal to the original - yo-u-ka-i = よ‐う‐か‐い. But on places like Wikipedia, they always use ō instead of ou.

Cutting out the u from Japanese words is actually pretty standard for English, though. Look at various loanwords we have from Japanese, like dojo, shogun, sumo, (Zen) koan, even Sudoku - in Japanese, these all have an additional う/u: doujou, shougun, sumou, kouan, suudoku

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #997 on: November 15, 2012, 06:54:24 AM »
Specifically, it's a question of romanization style. I personally prefer the style that uses "youkai" because it leaves the number of characters equal to the original - yo-u-ka-i = よ‐う‐か‐い. But on places like Wikipedia, they always use ō instead of ou.

Cutting out the u from Japanese words is actually pretty standard for English, though. Look at various loanwords we have from Japanese, like dojo, shogun, sumo, (Zen) koan, even Sudoku - in Japanese, these all have an additional う/u: doujou, shougun, sumou, kouan, suudoku

And I shall go to sleep with more knowledge tonight. Thanks for the explanation!

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #998 on: November 15, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »
Look at the reply count.
LOOK AT IT.

Drake

« Reply #999 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:06 AM »
May I know if there is a giant directory of the "Touhou: Unthinkable Natural Law/The english name I do not remember how to spell" players' I.P. Addresses? IDK if this is the right section, but "Misc questions"... so...
To end the thread with a final answer, even if useless: No. It really would not be a good idea at all to publish a wide array of IP addresses, plus having all of the IP addresses means nothing if you can't arrange a fight in the first place, which in and of itself invalidates the need for the addresses to be published beforehand anyways.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #1000 on: November 15, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
If Meiling isn't a dragon, is there any everloving idea of what kind of youkai she IS?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #1001 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »
If Meiling isn't a dragon, is there any everloving idea of what kind of youkai she IS?

As far as everything I've ever read about Meiling, nope. She's just a youkai and manipulates Chi. She's like Yuuka or Yukari; Sure, we can give them nicknames like Gap youkai and Flower youkai, but the species remain simply ''youkai''.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #1002 on: November 15, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
What's the right spelling of Youkai? Youkai or Y?kai?
Both are the same in Japanese. おう is pronounced as long o, like ああ - long a, いい - long i, ええ=えい is long e etc.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

« Reply #1003 on: November 15, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
As far as everything I've ever read about Meiling, nope. She's just a youkai and manipulates Chi. She's like Yuuka or Yukari; Sure, we can give them nicknames like Gap youkai and Flower youkai, but the species remain simply ''youkai''.

Yuuka has a title, her title is Flower Master of the Four Seasons. So, we can assume she is a flower youkai.
Same deal with Yukari, her title is Youkai of Boundaries, among other titles. So, we can assume she is a boundary youkai.
Meiling has a sad title, Chinese Girl. So, unless chinese youkai is a type of youkai, yeah, she is an unknown youkai type.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #1004 on: November 15, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
Yuuka has a title, her title is Flower Master of the Four Seasons. So, we can assume she is a flower youkai.
Same deal with Yukari, her title is Youkai of Boundaries, among other titles. So, we can assume she is a boundary youkai.
Meiling has a sad title, Chinese Girl. So, unless chinese youkai is a type of youkai, yeah, she is an unknown youkai type.
Title is not a species. E. g., Chen is "Black Cat of Bad Omens", though that sort of double-tailed cats have special name "nekomata".
Akyu says "youkai" is "other", other than human, animal, plant etc.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

« Reply #1005 on: November 15, 2012, 08:22:38 AM »
Yes, Chen's title is Black Cat of Bad Omens. So, you can derive that Chen is a cat youkai.
I am aware that title does not mean species, but you can derive from their title what type of youkai they may be.

Drake

« Reply #1006 on: November 15, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
Both are the same in Japanese. おう is pronounced as long o, like ああ - long a, いい - long i, ええ=えい is long e etc.
There actually is a difference between おう and おお, as well as えい and ええ, just to mention.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -