Author Topic: JQ Wants to Make an RPG! [Demo 1 in progress. I NEED A TITLE!]  (Read 18352 times)

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Alright, so I've had a copy of RPG Maker VX for a while now, but have never really had direction for where I wanted to take it first...Enter Youmu, amazingly awesome swordswoman!  I don't recall just how much of her past and such is known in canon, so I decided I wanted to try exploring that in a turn-based RPG!

So far I've got some general story ideas thought of(Though they're certainly up for debate if better ideas come about), as well as some gameplay mechanics.  Here're the basic ideas I've come up with thus far, mostly pasted from the txt document I made up last night to solidify my thoughts while my internet was down.  I've tried organizing them, though the way I typed them was rather haphazard, switching from story to mechanics to this to that all over the place.

Story
Story details her initial training with Youki[as the tutorial chapter], meeting Yuyuko, seeing some of Gensokyo for the first time after having only been in Hakugyokurou,
Spoiler:
Youki's death in battle
and her subsequent breakdown, as well as Yuyuko's helping her recover[leading to her steadfast devotion to serving Yuyuko][What sorts of conflicts might she encounter and what tasks/missions might she perform while in the world of the living?  How would she react to people purely alive rather than entirely unliving or hybrids like herself/other Konpakus, something she'd perhaps never seen before since this is before PCB?
Spoiler:
What sort of creature(s)/person(people) was/were doing battle with Youki,
as they'd be an obvious final battle to round out the story after Youmu's breakdown and recovery?]

Game Mechanics
This game would be a single-character turn-based RPG.  Skills would not be learned through level-up directly, rather Youmu would learn them from Youki until a certain point in the story.  Skills will have both combat effects and on-field effects(or at least some will).  Youmu will be able to learn all variants of each of her skills(IE her Easy/Normal/Hard/Lunatic versions of spellcards, etc.), though only if she's a high enough level and/or fulfills some other task. 
-Example:  200 Yojana in 1 Slash -Easy- will enable Youmu to cross certain bodies of water or other otherwise impassable areas by running at insane speeds across them.  The Normal variant of it will enable her to use the skill in battle as well as on the field.  She will also be able to learn Flashing Slash Formation and God's Slash of Karma Gust if she reaches high enough levels, which will be additional combat abilities.

Also, I've considered using Stances to enable some skills(I think a lot of games with Youmu in them do something like this, actually...), though I'm not sure how I'd implement them or if I'll do so, so thoughts on this are appreciated.

Also uncertain what sort of element/attribute system I'll use.  What do you all think would be good/interesting?

Should I change the default stats I use, or use the defaults?  How about equipment slots?  (Anyone here good at manipulating that kinda stuff in RPG Maker VX?)  How should I craft battles so they're still interesting and such even with only one player character?  SHOULD I only have one player character?  If not, who all would I include?  Mostly/entirely OC party members probably, yes?

How long should I am for the game to be?  Would between 25-40 hours be a nice length without dragging on too long, or would it depend on the content?

Resources
Should I try teaching myself more in Fruity Loops and such for music?  Who might I recruit for musical talents if I don't do things myself?  Also I'd need a spriter and other people for asset creation...

This is mostly a big block of questions and random thoughts, but I wanted to get the idea out here and all that so I could possibly make this a reality, should I be able to get the things together that I need.

An additional note:  If it's possible, I was intending to make this a game for sale when it was finished(For like $1-3).  How would I have to go about that to not have ZUN release the hounds on me?

Finally, for those who read my spoiler'd story elements...
Spoiler:
Is it confirmed whether Youki's alive or not?  If he IS, what might I have drive him away from Hakugyokurou so the rest of the story ideas make sense?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:06:09 PM by Jq1790 »
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: JQ Wants to Make an RPG! (Idea formation and planning topic!)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:34:23 AM »
You could play it like the Netherworld Chapter for Touhou-A-Live, and have Yuyu join up later in the game.
(Or if you wanted to, you could take more inspiration from the Bakumatsu/Ninja Chapter of Live-A-Live.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Jq1790

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »
You could play it like the Netherworld Chapter for Touhou-A-Live, and have Yuyu join up later in the game.
(Or if you wanted to, you could take more inspiration from the Bakumatsu/Ninja Chapter of Live-A-Live.)
I have no knowledge of Live-A-Live, so you're speaking beyond my knowledge base...now I feel like I should look into that eventually.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:39:56 AM »
Ah, ask Yugian, he can really educate you on that. he's the one who taught me about it. He's also beaten it several times.

As for Touhou-A-Live, here is the first part of the Youmu Chapter.
Alternately, you could do a bird's-eye-view hack and slash RPG, like the Mana Series. (Secret of Mana, etc.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:46:57 AM »
Someone rang?  :3 *here as a resource.*

@Hanzo Unless RPG maker made multiple combat inerfaces/he knows Coding and the knowhow to turn into a hack and slash, i just realized that turn-based combat is really all he has to work with. So no mana'ing here.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:06:07 AM by Yugian »

Jq1790

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:00 AM »
@Hanzo:  Hm, I might make a segment that involves less enemy slaying and more alternative methods of progression, or make combat lead to lesser rewards or something, so thanks for the hint on that!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:10:34 AM »
Well, some people have done hack'n'slash styles with the RPG Maker series. I believe VX was one such example.
And as it's the most recent of the series, it should be quite doable. Hell, they did it with RPG Maker 2000.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:13:05 AM »
Didn't say it WASN'T possible, just thats TYPICALLY not included in the RPG maker set. im just not sure of whats on the table for skills. I wont speak for anyone, and if you have the skills for something else JQ, please put them down. XD
Also, if VX includes hack'n'slash as a engine they support out of the box, then feel free to correct me as well.

*Edit @JQ : Just gonna comment on the idea now; its not a bad idea but it REALLY depends on circumstance, risk and reward. Youmu actually is a great protagonist to be able to do this, but her reasons must be absolute. Being honor-bound to the samurai code, perhaps a moral dilemma or choosing to cut down many may backfire on the player as that was 'un-honorable'. Turn based is VERY hit or miss with this as well, ether nailing it down to a science or missing the mark COMPLETELY. Just make it smart and ether have great rewards for one way or the other, or give them storyline/emotional weight to make it matter.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:22:15 AM by Yugian »

Jq1790

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »
Pfahaha, extra skills in RPG Maker?  Haha, this will be my first time truly delving into using the meat of this thing, to be honest, so I'll have a LOT of research to do, much less if I was to try something advanced like changing the gameplay style.  No, this will be traditional Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest styled turn-based RPG gameplay.  If I do another game assuming this one reaches completion, I'll consider trying other gameplay styles, etc.  For now I've just got basic RPG Maker VX skills and the ability to research online, etc.

Fake-Edit @ Yugian:  I'll be replying to your post tomorrow, but as I'm tired I'll be heading to sleep.  Thanks for the help/input so far though!  (That also goes to Hanzo as well, of course)

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:48:16 AM »
Yup, figured as much. Dont worry, we understand and we wish you much luck on your project. best to start SIMPLE and work from there. XD

And again, as said, im a resource. feel free to whack me for anything you need really. A full year of a game making class and theory at your disposal right here!  :derp:
Juuust know that im most likely going to get very precise and to the point. if i sound assholeish, i apologize. this is just being trying to be helpful yet stern. Game making (Especially sense you want to take this seriously enough to potentially ask for money. XD) is NOT an easy thing, and i'll be making sure you have the conviction to keep going all the way, yet keeping you going on a good path.

...and to answer the marketing question- do not claim that touhou is your original series and quote him as the creator. Claim that all originally created assets used in the game are made by you and your (Potential) team, and that characters that are not YOUR original concept first originated in the touhou/Respective franchises. This is a for-profit fan-game and not apart of the official touhou license, canon or series and you have full copyright to your game.  You do not have to include, but do note that should ZUN see fit to (I doubt this), he can pull down your game at any time as you are using his property without permission (However, i doubt this and his new rules only came into effect because of the anime controversy.) To be safe, also add that the game was made on RPG Maker VX and that it is a product of *Company it belongs to here.*, along with the assets you used from it.
I'll add to this as i remember more of the distribution rules too. ZUN, again, is pretty lax about this too so you dont have to worry TOO TOO much.

ZUN's rules are as follows;
-Do not produce a large-scale operation selling the game. (Aka, don't go to the company level or past the circle level for your distribution.)
-No Ending spoilers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:17:27 PM by Yugian »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
As for Touhou-A-Live, here is the first part of the Youmu Chapter.
I seem to only be capable of inarticulate sounds at the moment, but if I could speak I'd be expressing how awesome this is and that I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. :)

An additional note:  If it's possible, I was intending to make this a game for sale when it was finished(For like $1-3).  How would I have to go about that to not have ZUN release the hounds on me?
As an extra to the above, here are ZUN's rules (scroll down a bit to the box).
Also keep in mind that if you've downloaded RMVX from somewhere you'll also need to get a license (ie, actually buy it) to be able to sell your game.

With that said, good luck :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Jq1790

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:53:19 AM »
Oh, my copy of VX is legit.  Got it thanks to a special deal they had going where if I did an offer thing(Bought a like $2 game from BigFish Games) I got a free license for VX.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting an idea of what all sorts of people I'll need to have work with me, so stay tuned for any updates as I get people/resources tracked down! 

Current objective:  Find someone skilled in RPGMaker VX's scripting, or learn it myself.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »
About Youki:
Spoiler:
Yes, it is confirmed that he is alive. He left Hakugyokurou sometime ago. As for the reason why, you can make this up.

Jq1790

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
About Youki:
Spoiler:
Yes, it is confirmed that he is alive. He left Hakugyokurou sometime ago. As for the reason why, you can make this up.
Ah, thanks!  It'll be a bit of a change, but I did think of an alternate route in the meantime incase that was the case, so it shouldn't be too big a deal to switch things around.  (I'll still need some help figuring out more detailed story stuff anyway once I've gotten all of the general idea worked out.)

A general note to anyone reading this:  If you want to help out, let me know what you can do and I'll start seeing about assembling a proper team for this!

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
Actually, I might be useless here but I do have spriting knowledge. But my knowledge is extremely limited. I can make simple sprites like... let's put it this way;
"I have made two pink petals, and a light, gentle fog-like sprite. One has an aura around it and you can use those two petals to create a background of falling fluttering petals with loose pink-purple
fog around them."
It's really hard to explain actually. I can make sprites but I need time and patience to make something which is actually somewhat simple, and it's made in such a way that it has the right design to suit a lot of atmospheres and scenes. I can make some stuff, and if you would like me to help out with this project I would love to.

Just really, call me for something and I'll might get it done for you.

Jq1790

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
Actually, I might be useless here but I do have spriting knowledge. But my knowledge is extremely limited. I can make simple sprites like... let's put it this way;
"I have made two pink petals, and a light, gentle fog-like sprite. One has an aura around it and you can use those two petals to create a background of falling fluttering petals with loose pink-purple
fog around them."
It's really hard to explain actually. I can make sprites but I need time and patience to make something which is actually somewhat simple, and it's made in such a way that it has the right design to suit a lot of atmospheres and scenes. I can make some stuff, and if you would like me to help out with this project I would love to.

Just really, call me for something and I'll might get it done for you.
Any chance you could do a sprite of our lovely little half-phantom for the on-field map(Any of the 4 cardinal directions will do, as this is just for an example) as a test, so I can see what your spriting really looks like?  I'll get you the dimensions in a little while when I can, but it's not terribly big.  Also, can you show me those petal sprites you're referring to?  Said petals falling and fog would actually fit in quite nicely, given the game will at least PARTIALLY take place in Hakugyokurou.  =)

Of course, feel free to take your time with this; I'd rather get your best work and have to wait than try to make you rush or anything.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Any chance you could do a sprite of our lovely little half-phantom for the on-field map(Any of the 4 cardinal directions will do, as this is just for an example) as a test, so I can see what your spriting really looks like?  I'll get you the dimensions in a little while when I can, but it's not terribly big.  Also, can you show me those petal sprites you're referring to?  Said petals falling and fog would actually fit in quite nicely, given the game will at least PARTIALLY take place in Hakugyokurou.  =)

Of course, feel free to take your time with this; I'd rather get your best work and have to wait than try to make you rush or anything.
Sorry but what do you mean by on-field? Also, I haven't clarified my other post well. I actually mean't to say I only create effect sprites. Sorry for the confusion.
Also I'll probably get the falling petals done by Sunday I think. They will be almost entirely based on Cherry Blossom petals. I will no doubt have trouble with the fog but I may be able to get it done before the next week or so. Also, does the little program you're using is able to draw a single sprite from a png file containing lots of different sprites? That will come in handy for me.

Jq1790

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
Sorry but what do you mean by on-field? Also, I haven't clarified my other post well. I actually mean't to say I only create effect sprites. Sorry for the confusion.
Also I'll probably get the falling petals done by Sunday I think. They will be almost entirely based on Cherry Blossom petals. I will no doubt have trouble with the fog but I may be able to get it done before the next week or so. Also, does the little program you're using is able to draw a single sprite from a png file containing lots of different sprites? That will come in handy for me.
Ah, ok, sorry, I didn't realize you meant only effects and things...  Anyway, I haven't looked into the sprite-related features in RPGMaker VX yet, so I couldn't tell you, but either way I'll see what we can do, hm?  Thanks for the help either way!

Jq1790

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:38 AM »
I know it hasn't been that long since I'd posted last, but I just want to try and keep some sort of beginning momentum going for this, so here I go!  I've got a clearer idea of the types of people I'll need now, and also thanks to a script I've found, I can do a lot of new things, and the game will be far easier to create and add stuff to!

List of new info/updates:
-Found and downloaded Yanfly Engine Melody, a script set for RPG Maker VX that IMMENSELY enhances its capabilities and makes things far easier to create, including custom damage formulas for skills, which was my current objective!  (One of the skills Youmu will be able to use is her "200 Yojana in 1 Slash" card, which doesn't use Atk OR Spi(Magic) for its damage, but more fittingly works off of her Agi stat.  i couldn't make this so with the base functionality of VX, but using one of the parts of YEM I was able to do it incredibly easily!
-More definite ideas of the sort of team I'll  need, or at least the types of tasks I'll need to take care of.  (Part of my ability to better solidify my thought on this is thanks to Yugian, so thanks again!)
     -Story
     -Audio
     -Character portraits
     -Tilesets
     -Coding
     -Gameplay Design

I'll ask once more here, and probably also in Alice's and the Library, for anyone who would like to help me out in my endeavor here!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:30:31 PM by Jq1790 »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 02:38:30 AM »
I think trying to keep up momentum in your project is a great idea and 1 week is not too short of a time span. I actually think it's a really good time span, which is kind of why I'm posting. You should totally post an update.

Jq1790

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »
I'd love to post an update, Imosa, but sadly I've not had the chance to make any new headway yet.  Life (needing to do stuff to try to generate money, and such) has gotten in the way, but hopefully I can continue working soon, like within the next few days or so.  I don't want to wait too much longer, in case the drive slows down as time wears on, and I DO want to work on this project!

Stay tuned, and hopefully next time I'll have an ACTUAL update when you next hear from me!

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 04:15:10 AM »
I'd love to post an update, Imosa, but sadly I've not had the chance to make any new headway yet.  Life (needing to do stuff to try to generate money, and such) has gotten in the way, but hopefully I can continue working soon, like within the next few days or so.  I don't want to wait too much longer, in case the drive slows down as time wears on, and I DO want to work on this project!

Stay tuned, and hopefully next time I'll have an ACTUAL update when you next hear from me!
Glad to hear it. I think it's worth while to make updates even if you don't get anything done. It shows people that you're still thinking about the project and it keeps other people thinking about your project. It may get ridiculous at some point if it's just a week, I don't think that should be big issue.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
*Not dead.
is here.
seriously.*

Jq1790

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
Ah geez, it's been too long since I updated...Anyway, I've basically got a day to myself here, so I decided I'd try working on this more now, yay!

Anyway, I've got a thought on skills, but I wanna see what others think.  I was considering having both skills you learn by outside means, as I described before, but ALSO having some be learned by leveling up.  The ones learned by level-up wouldn't be anything related to what would become the girl's Spell Cards, but instead more generic skills.  Any thoughts on what might be interesting?  I was considering using that aea for things like different Stances, which would act like statuses and involve sometimes just boosting one stat, and other times maybe boosting one a great deal, but at the cost of reducing another during the status's duration.  Like a more aggressive stance might boost Atk/Spd, but lower Def/Res.

Also, I was considering having other party members after all to make the combat more interesting.  Any ideas on what sorts of people/creatures I should use?  I wasn't really thinking of having anyone recognizable except possibly during appropriate story events perhaps Youki or Yuyuko would be joining the group, so I'd need some ideas for OCs to at least hold temporary party positions.  (Of course, the game's focus on Youmu doesn't change, but it'd be easier to make more fun battles if I have more character types used than just the one.)

Also, any ideas for places Youmu might go throughout the course of her adventures in Gensokyo proper?  Any classic RPG level types you think would be fun to play in a game like this?

anyway, this is my requisite post to say, "I didn't drop this with barely having worked on it, I've just been busy doing other things and hunting down inspiration!"

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »
Holy crap, an update? NO WAI. THIS IS IMPOSUBUUU

Hmm... doing that, you may want to associate the skills to her 'halves'. Skills of the body (Discipline.) and skills of the spirit (Void.) Body should be your training skills and deal with her 'Physical skills', integrating your idea of stances and anything involving the sword, physical conditioning or cultural discipline.
Skills of the spirit should revolve around the element of the "Void". To keep thing simple, the japanese believed the element void to be "The world". Everything and nothing, Being the one and being the many. A Well trained warrior that was one with the void could see attacks from any angle and defend against them flawlessly. They could spot any ambush and defeat any opponent... all without the weakness of the flesh. Any skill dealing with her magic, danmaku and soul as a swordswoman should go here.

it really depends on the tone of your story for characters. as this SEEMS to be a journey of the self, Youmu realizing who she is and her line, you should have humanoid wanderers or travelers. In uncommon cases, if youmu is escorting someone, add them with some skills. As youmu is truly the focus, they should not be as "developed" as she is, in the sense of their skills and how they obtain them. For one, they should have Body skills if they're a fighter (In their own way) or Spirit skills if they are a magic user. not both. Your rare exceptions (Such as Youki.) would have access to both, given their dual nature.

Wherever the journey goes i suppose. Given your nature with your foot half in the grave, you will most likely be traveling to places with a high magical/spiritual connection if your after self revelation. So, the heavens, the hells, Reimus shrine, etc. Side quests would give you additional wiggle room to go to the other places in the world that dont have such high "Psi" ratings, such as the scarlet devil mansion, Nitori's workshop, etc. Villages will definately serve good "Hubs".

Was not listening to this as he wrote this post.

Jq1790

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Words and stuff
Ah, was wondering when I'd hear from you again...  Anyway, that's a pretty interesting way to do things, so I think I might just do that.  Coming up with exactly WHAT skills she'd be learning and what they'd DO is the thing i'm thinking about right now, though I should probably get more of the story and general feel worked out before then...I've got an idea for a first (somewhat short) chapter thing and a prologue come up with, so do you think I should make a demo based around that for now, to get feedback on my process thus far?

Hm...I really need to get around to looking up all her Spell Cards and shottypes too so I know what i'm working with there.  (I'll be making up stuff as well, but I figured that having the majority of things based off her official skills and stuff would be a good thing.)

As for exactly WHAT the story was supposed to be doing:  Basically it's supposed to be a couple of things, namely Youmu learning about the world outside Hakugyokurou, exploring her devotion to Yuyuko and things that might've spawned it(I like to think it's both a liking of the ghost in general as well as the obvious sense of duty as part of a line who'd served her since who-knows-when.).  Also, I thought it might be interesting to have her starting out as somewhat reliant on Youki as her master/mentor and all that, and her learning to stand on her own.  I'm still trying to hammer out the details on how all that's going to play out, but that'll come with time I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by again, and for the input!

Spoiler:
Of course now that I've got this input I wanna do stuff with it but I have other things I have to do today...

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 04:04:52 AM »
Schools annoying like that. people kind of steal things, like a computer :derp:

Dear god yes. Demo's are the absolute best way to show not only progress, but let players have input on what your doing. Plus, get hype and all that.
And its best to do that. Skills are mastery, but what stage of her development is she at? best to solve that problem first, and then work from there.

(Yes. that would be a very good thing.)

AH. so an origin story rather then self revelation. i was sort of close with that one. Still, in that case, Just have a basic tour of gensokyo and end somewhere spiritual. symbolism AHOY!

(bah, quicky XP)

Jq1790

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »
Hm, yes...  *gears are heard turning in my head*  I think I can see where to end this and how things might finalize.  Yeah, that could work for a final little area before whatever final battle I arrange.  Thanks for the input!  Now to find time to get that demo worked on!  Of course the graphics'll be placeholders, but til I get a dedicated spriter or something i'm stuck unless I learn it myself or some such.  But it's just going to be there to demonstrate my starting progress so it should be fine.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
Also, I was considering having other party members after all to make the combat more interesting.  Any ideas on what sorts of people/creatures I should use?  I wasn't really thinking of having anyone recognizable except possibly during appropriate story events perhaps Youki or Yuyuko would be joining the group, so I'd need some ideas for OCs to at least hold temporary party positions.  (Of course, the game's focus on Youmu doesn't change, but it'd be easier to make more fun battles if I have more character types used than just the one.)

Yes to other party members, definitely. No OCs, though; stick to canon characters. As for who could join, Yuyuko of course would fit in well, and the Prismrivers probably would, too. And, of course, Yukari/Ran/Chen could also be included quite easily (Yukari and Yuyuko being friends and all that). That's a grand total of eight, including Youmu herself, which is fairly standard (most RPGs seem to give you 6-8 total party members, not counting any possible temporary members). You'd probably want to find ways to use some of them as more physical combatents, though; having only Youmu as a physical-based fighter probably wouldn't work too well (it's generally not a good idea to have a selection heavily slanted towards either physical or magical; try to provide a few choices for each (in addition to more supportive roles such as healers, of course)). Or you could have non-Netherworld-related characters join, of course; if shit's going down, it will draw some people's attention, and youkai lifespans mean a lot of characters will still have been alive back then. So it probably wouldn't be too hard to work some others in.

Jq1790

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 03:38:46 PM »
Yes to other party members, definitely. No OCs, though; stick to canon characters. As for who could join, Yuyuko of course would fit in well, and the Prismrivers probably would, too. And, of course, Yukari/Ran/Chen could also be included quite easily (Yukari and Yuyuko being friends and all that). That's a grand total of eight, including Youmu herself, which is fairly standard (most RPGs seem to give you 6-8 total party members, not counting any possible temporary members). You'd probably want to find ways to use some of them as more physical combatents, though; having only Youmu as a physical-based fighter probably wouldn't work too well (it's generally not a good idea to have a selection heavily slanted towards either physical or magical; try to provide a few choices for each (in addition to more supportive roles such as healers, of course)). Or you could have non-Netherworld-related characters join, of course; if shit's going down, it will draw some people's attention, and youkai lifespans mean a lot of characters will still have been alive back then. So it probably wouldn't be too hard to work some others in.
Ah, I hadn't even thought about the Mayohiga group, somehow.  Chen I think would work quite well for a physical fighter.  Soaring Guardian God, and such. 

Youmu, actually, would only MOSTLY be physical.  I was thinking I'd do like Yugian suggested and have her have a bit of magical aptitude as well.  She may be a swordswoman at heart, but I like to think her ghost half has some magical capability as well.  (Looking at 200 Yojana and its variants makes me think of that, actually, since I picture her ghost half firing the energy orbs that her human half then shatters into burning shrapnel of death.)

So...now to think of more characters to make physical attackers who might be run into...but perhaps I'll wait on that and work on getting some kind of actual game work done first.  Hopefully my next post, however long it takes, will include SOME kind of short demo thing!  Probably just the prologue and first chapter, as that's all I've really written out so far, but it's something at least!

EDIT:  After some difficulties, finally got the boss enemy worked out for the prologue chapter.  Now to get the rest of the enemies set up along with the other events, then on to Chapter 1, after which a demo will in fact be forthcoming, unless otherwise specified.

EDIT 2:  Prologue is almost completely done!  I already know how things go, but I still explored a bit of each thing, and it took me about 18-20 minutes to get to the end of the first boss battle and see the scene after that.  (There's still one more small thing to do before the first proper chapter begins, so I'd estimate for someone who DOESN'T know the layout and everything, it might take...about 30 minutes, tops?  Is that a good length for such a thing, do you think?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:10:37 PM by Jq1790 »