Author Topic: Keine Quest - Harvest  (Read 182830 times)

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
  • ...is in that post up there?
    • RP Blog for Kaenbyou Rin
Keine Quest - Harvest
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »
(My apologies if there's already a Keine quest. I didn't see one, and I thought of this plot while bored out of my mind at work, so I thought I'd try it out with you stalwarts.  :D)

You are Keine Kamishirasawa. It's mid-Autumn, and as is traditional for the year, the children of your classes take a leave from school for the next lunar cycle to help out with the harvest. This leaves you with a nice 28-day vacation! Unfortunately, your role as village protector has no vacation, but you should mostly have free time. There were an unexpectedly large number of youkai attacks in the summer, but it seems to have quieted down now.

It is sunrise and you are just waking up.

The current phase of the moon is waxing gibbous.

(And now bedtime, see any posters in about 7 hours!)

capt. h

• Only sane townie
Re: Keine Quest - Harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:23:03 AM »
> Visit friends.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:02 AM »
>Spellcards on hand
>Relationships
>Curse those dream spirits, or whatever they are, for breaking reality again.

The Hating Hater

• What's the deal?
  • YO~!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 04:52:30 AM »
> Splash water at face.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
> Visit friends.

You decide to visit your friends.

>Relationships

Oh, but first you have to recall who they are.

Relationships

Fujiwara no Mokou - A very good friend of yours. Probably one of the best friends you have in Gensokyo. You really wish you could get her to stop killing herself and Kaguya constantly, though.

Yagokoro Eirin - You have an understanding with her, probably from the common difficulty of dealing with Mokou and Kaguya. You probably wouldn't call yourself friends with her, but you're definitely not enemies either. Because of her, Reisen's one of the few non-humans you'll allow in the village (at least, that you have the power to stop).

Hieda no Akyu - Of course you're friends with Akyu. She's a fellow scholar who records the history of Gensokyo.

>Spellcards on hand

On hand, you carry "National Sign - Three Sacred Treasures", which you can vary to suit the situation. You also carry "Future Sign - God's Realm" and "Future Sign - Next History". You would carry "Pseudo-History - The Legend of Gensokyo" as well, but you seem to have misplaced it somehow.

>Curse those dream spirits, or whatever they are, for breaking reality again.

Damn dream spirits!

Wait, what?

> Splash water at face.

You splash some nearby water on your face. You're now a little more awake. You suddenly realize you haven't eaten since yesterday evening.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:04:53 AM by IdiotsOpposite »

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
Damn dream spirits!

Wait, what?

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,6640.0.html
That, my friend, is the first Keine Quest. DracoOmega ran it a couple years back. I'd highly recommend having a read of it. It's quite good. And it will explain any number of shoutouts I may make, along the lines.

>Inventory.
>Wardrobe. Specifically, do we own a kimono?
>Available food.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
> What youkai can't we stop.

> You mention Reisen being one of the few youkai you let in that you could stop. One of the few implies there are others you could stop that you allow in. Who are the others?

> What have these youkai attacks over summer been like? Fairies pulling pranks? Karakasa trying to surprise people? Or actually youkai attempting to eat people, which means a certain red and white shrine maiden isn't doing her job.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:17:09 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »
>Who are our enemies?
>What's on the agenda for today?
>Quests
>Inventory

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,6640.0.html
That, my friend, is the first Keine Quest. DracoOmega ran it a couple years back. I'd highly recommend having a read of it. It's quite good. And it will explain any number of shoutouts I may make, along the lines.

The parser utters a prayer to Kanako that he won't be distracted too much by this enticing link.

>Inventory.
>Wardrobe. Specifically, do we own a kimono?
>Available food.

You don't have much on you, as you're in bed. Aside from your spell cards and a light fighting raiment, which you wear to bed in case of emergencies, you're pretty much empty. Fortunately, from here you can see a small mechanical clock, a desk with several pens and parchment on it (one of them's a "ball point" that you bought from Rinnosuke), and of course a cabinet with several changes of clothing, including a small selection of kimonos. Aside from a small stock of rice and noodles, you don't keep much food at home, preferring to shop for the day's vegetables and meat. However, the soup from last night might still be warm.

> What youkai can't we stop.

That's a short list, but right front and center is Yakumo Yukari. Her shikigami, Ran, also gives you so much trouble that you prefer to save yourself the injuries and just let her in. For a youkai, she's well-behaved at least. You also don't really stand much chance of stopping Aya, as she's just too fast. The same applies to Kaenbyou Rin, who, while not as fast, is very sneaky to boot. You chase her out whenever you can, though.

> You mention Reisen being one of the few youkai you let in that you could stop. One of the few implies there are others you could stop that you allow in. Who are the others?

As before mentioned, you don't really bother stopping Ran from entering the village. It's just not worth it. You allow and even welcome Alice in, as she's extremely popular with the children.

> What have these youkai attacks over summer been like? Fairies pulling pranks? Karakasa trying to surprise people? Or actually youkai attempting to eat people, which means a certain red and white shrine maiden isn't doing her job.

While there's always at least some attacks in all three categories, an alarming number this summer have been from hungry youkai trying a serious attack. On one incident, you even had to hide the village.

It doesn't surprise you that Reimu's not doing her job properly, though.

>Who are our enemies?
>What's on the agenda for today?
>Quests
>Inventory

Your enemies are anyone who tries to attack the village. Oh, and Kogasa. She seems to have made it her own personal mission to surprise you.

Nothing on the agenda today, but you always try to stick near the village.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
> How harsh are you towards Kogasa, seeing as she's only trying to surprise you and not actually harm anyone?

> What is your stance on Rinnosuke, as a half-human half-youkai?

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
> How harsh are you towards Kogasa, seeing as she's only trying to surprise you and not actually harm anyone?

Since she's not harmful, you don't really treat her any worse than you'd treat one of your students when they misbehave. However, you do make sure that when you're done with her, she's out of the village.

> What is your stance on Rinnosuke, as a half-human half-youkai?

While you don't make any real effort to keep Rinnosuke out, the people of the village themselves seem to distrust him, and he knows this, so he rarely comes into the village. You're one of his best customers, though, after Yukari.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
> Eat
> Get dressed
> Visit friends

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
> Eat

This is definitely on your mind. But what to eat? There's some leftover soup you could warm up, but grabbing some fresh fruit from the market stalls sounds like a nice idea as well.

>Get dressed

But first things first, you need to get dressed. (Note: I'm going to assume that when you asked if there were any kimonos, this implied you wanted to wear one)

After a few minutes of staring inside your cabinet (which, unfortunately, is NOT extradimensional), you go with a nice-looking blue kimono with a floral design at the end of the sleeves and a matching red obi. You grab your trademark hat, though.

NEW INVENTORY:
Nice-looking Kimono
Pagoda Hat
Spellcards x3 (National Sign - Three Sacred Treasures, Future Sign - Realm of the Gods, Future Sign - Next History)

> Visit friends

You decide visiting your friends would be a wonderful idea to start your vacation. The main question is who to visit! Just walking around town would guarantee you meet someone, given how many humans consider you a friend. You could grab some food for the day that way too. You could also decide to visit Akyu, who lives in a manor at the end of town. You should probably return some of her scrolls anyway, now that your teaching is done for a while. You could also head out to the Bamboo Forest and try to find Mokou. You never have a problem with hanging around with Mokou.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
> Visiting Akyu is probobly more convenient.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
Hm...

> Do either of them have plans that we know of?

> Would either of them enjoy spending a day in town?

I'm thinking if they have the day off, and we have the day off, it might be nice to spend the day together.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »
> Visiting Akyu is probobly more convenient.

You think visiting Akyu might be the most convenient at the moment.

Hm...

> Do either of them have plans that we know of?

> Would either of them enjoy spending a day in town?

I'm thinking if they have the day off, and we have the day off, it might be nice to spend the day together.

Unfortunately, you haven't yet convinced Mokou that she should really tell other people what her plans are, and so have no idea what she's doing right now. However, you do remember seeing a lot of light coming from the Bamboo Forest last night, so she probably had it out with Kaguya.

Again.

You know that Mokou would enjoy spending the day with you though, if she's not busy.

As for Akyu, apart from Chronicling, which she always seems to be doing, Akyu doesn't get out much, so it's doubtful she has many plans.

You also consider heading up to the Hakurei Shrine and berating Reimu. The summer's youkai attacks really did come just too often.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
>How many times has this been now that Mokou's had it out with Kaguya this season? Or did we just stop counting?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »
> Let's go pick up Mokou. Somebody has to clean up the mess.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »

Hope the mess is Kaguya. Not Mokou.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
>How many times has this been now that Mokou's had it out with Kaguya this season? Or did we just stop counting?

Honestly, it happens about once a week. You can usually tell the result by whether Mokou is happy or fuming three days later.

Hope the mess is Kaguya. Not Mokou.

You silently hope that the mess is Kaguya, and not your friend Mokou. That said, we're off to the Bamboo forest!

It doesn't take long after you enter. Mokou usually knows where to find you, after all. You see her hanging from a fallen bamboo stick, one hand holding onto the stick and one hand waving at you. The hand waving at you appears to be holding some sort of roasted meat. She's grinning.

Looks like Mokou won.

EDIT: She's holding the meat by a bone sticking out of it. Not holding directly on to the meat.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:03:47 PM by IdiotsOpposite »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
> So, how many times did you kill her this time? Take whatever tone we usually take about these events.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »
>Assess damage to the landscape.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
>Assess damage to the landscape.

Surprisingly, the landscape appears mostly undamaged. Mokou must have fought Kaguya somewhere else in the forest, or maybe she was careful. You suspect it's more the former.

> So, how many times did you kill her this time? Take whatever tone we usually take about these events.

You take the resigned tone that has somehow become your default tone when speaking with Mokou. She, blissfully unaware or uncaring, just grins and replies.

"Well, I only took her out personally once. The two bamboo poles I impaled that moon-bitch to might have killed her another time or two, though. Or the fire I lit under her when she was impaled like that. You should have seen her, she was so helpless!"

Still casually grinning like she wasn't talking about the brutal torture and murder of another person, Mokou takes a bite of the meat she's holding, then holds it out to you.

"Hungry?"

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »
> "Yes!"

As long as she's offering, it would be rude to decline breakfast.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
> "Yes!"

As long as she's offering, it would be rude to decline breakfast.

You decide to take the meat offered by Mokou. It's actually quite delicious - you recognize the taste as wild hare.  Mokou just leans back against a sturdy bamboo stalk and watches you like she has all the time in the world. Which, to be fair, she does. After a few moments, though, she fills in the conversation gap by continuing from where she left off earlier.

"So yeah, Kaguya's probably gonna be pretty mad with that kill. At least I hope so - I went to a lot of work for her."

As earlier mentioned, you don't really like when Mokou talks about Kaguya, so you may wish to change the subject. Or at least try.

(That's up to you guys of course)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
You decide to take the meat offered by Mokou. It's actually quite delicious - you recognize the taste as wild hare.  Mokou just leans back against a sturdy bamboo stalk and watches you like she has all the time in the world. Which, to be fair, she does. After a few moments, though, she fills in the conversation gap by continuing from where she left off earlier.

"So yeah, Kaguya's probably gonna be pretty mad with that kill. At least I hope so - I went to a lot of work for her."

As earlier mentioned, you don't really like when Mokou talks about Kaguya, so you may wish to change the subject. Or at least try.

(That's up to you guys of course)

> Do we anything of interest to Mokou to say?

> Has Mokou helped during any youkai attacks in the past?

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
> Do we anything of interest to Mokou to say?

You could always talk to her about the youkai attacks over the summer, or the harvest. Or you could simply invite her to go on a vacation day with you. It's always nice to have a friendly companion, whatever you're doing.

> Has Mokou helped during any youkai attacks in the past?

She helps out whenever she knows about one, although hiding out in the forest so often means she's not around the village that much to help. When she does, though, you've noticed it's best to just stay out of her way as she kicks whatever youkai into next week.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
> Might as well invite her to tag along.

> "How'd you catch it?" gesturing towards the meat.

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »
> Might as well invite her to tag along.

Mokou shrugs before launching herself upright, flashing another grin. "Sure thing, I don't have anything going on today anyway. I know that Kaguya won't be regenerating for another day or so, and it's her turn anyway. Let her run around an empty forest for a while."

You have gained a FUJIWARA NO MOKOU!

> "How'd you catch it?" gesturing towards the meat.

"Same way you usually do, a trap and some bait. Usually the bamboo forest rabbits are smarter than that, but these ones have gotten pretty dumb in the last month. Dunno why, but as long as I eat, you know?"

Where to now?

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
> Points of interest