Author Topic: Touhou Dreams  (Read 50159 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Touhou Dreams
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
Yep, it's time for this thread again. Any Gensokyans appear in your dreams lately? Or did you perhaps dream you were in Gensokyo, Makai, the Netherworld or wherever else?

I bring this up because I had a really bizarre dream a few days ago. I was in a large Shinto shrine, which I understood in my head to be the Hakurei Shrine. Outside, there was early morning sunshine. Reimu walked into the shrine, looking very austere and serious. She didn't pay attention to the fact that I was there, so I just watched what she was doing.

She walked to a little wooden cupboard near the floor and opened it up. Inside was a computer - just your standard home desktop PC (don't ask me where the electricity came from - it was a dream, alright?). On the screen, I saw a score of sheet music - mostly quarter notes, both melody and bass, in a steady rhythm not deviating much from A major. Carefully, as if performing a sacred ritual, Reimu sat down in front of the computer, picked up a microphone, and began to chant.

Now, this chant was not in Japanese. It wasn't in any language I could identify. It was a steady series of vowels and consonants and I would kill to remember exactly how the chant went. But I do remember her voice was decisive, sharp and clear, and that the rhythm was about two beats per second. I felt a calming feeling wash over me as she chanted. With each sound she made, each note on the screen changed from black to yellow. When all the notes were yellow, she put the microphone down, made a click with the mouse, and then closed the cupboard, bowing her head.

In my mind, I understood that this was a daily chant that she, and other shrine maidens around the world, sent out to the heavens. The words are different each time; they are personal to the particular shrine maiden and the particular day, but the melody is always the same. An electronic prayer, in other words.

I have no idea what this means.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Re: Touhou Dreams
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
My twin bro dreamt Remilia was his daughter one these days.Go figure....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:43:11 PM by Omega »

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »
Yep, it's time for this thread again. Any Gensokyans appear in your dreams lately? Or did you perhaps dream you were in Gensokyo, Makai, the Netherworld or wherever else?

I bring this up because I had a really bizarre dream a few days ago. I was in a large Shinto shrine, which I understood in my head to be the Hakurei Shrine. Outside, there was early morning sunshine. Reimu walked into the shrine, looking very austere and serious. She didn't pay attention to the fact that I was there, so I just watched what she was doing.

She walked to a little wooden cupboard near the floor and opened it up. Inside was a computer - just your standard home desktop PC (don't ask me where the electricity came from - it was a dream, alright?). On the screen, I saw a score of sheet music - mostly quarter notes, both melody and bass, in a steady rhythm not deviating much from A major. Carefully, as if performing a sacred ritual, Reimu sat down in front of the computer, picked up a microphone, and began to chant.

Now, this chant was not in Japanese. It wasn't in any language I could identify. It was a steady series of vowels and consonants and I would kill to remember exactly how the chant went. But I do remember her voice was decisive, sharp and clear, and that the rhythm was about two beats per second. I felt a calming feeling wash over me as she chanted. With each sound she made, each note on the screen changed from black to yellow. When all the notes were yellow, she put the microphone down, made a click with the mouse, and then closed the cupboard, bowing her head.

In my mind, I understood that this was a daily chant that she, and other shrine maidens around the world, sent out to the heavens. The words are different each time; they are personal to the particular shrine maiden and the particular day, but the melody is always the same. An electronic prayer, in other words.

I have no idea what this means.
This will sound will sound weird, but do you remember the melody itself? Unless I miss my guess, it sounds like the chant was a song, and songs are meant to be heard by other people.

Tengukami

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:31:49 PM »
This will sound will sound weird, but do you remember the melody itself? Unless I miss my guess, it sounds like the chant was a song, and songs are meant to be heard by other people.

Yeah, that's the thing - I'm not sure for who the chant was intended. I think that all the shrine maiden chants around the world were just broadcast into the ether of space, to be heard by the gods.

As for the melody, it was quarter notes, about two beats per second, in A major. It was very simple, with most of the notes falling directly on A, punctuated by C# and B.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Did it sound anything like this?
Because this sounded like it could be that, due to your description of the chant's structure.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Tengukami

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
Did it sound anything like this?
Because this sounded like it could be that, due to your description of the chant's structure.

After searching around on YouTube, the closest I found to how the chant sounded was this. Gives me chills to hear it now, as close as it sounds.

Another example, minus drums.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:17:54 PM by Tengukami »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Huh, that would make sense. Maybe it was a lost shinto chant?
It would certainly make sense.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Tengukami

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
Maybe? To be honest I'm not really versed in Shinto or Buddhist chants, and was frankly very surprised when I searched "shinto chant" in YouTube and heard what sounded almost exactly like what I dreamed. But I guess I must've heard them somewhere before, I mean, how else would I know what they sounded like?

redlakitu

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
One of my dreams a while ago featured Eirin and Kaguya... along with Scrooge McDuck of all people, but I don't remember the details. Anyway, here's a more recent, much better one. I was walking around my house waiting for a soccer mach (Japan versus some other national team, either Germany or USA I think) when something in the room with the TV caught my attention. I went there to check what was up. As it turned out, there was a music video of U.N. Owen Was Her on TV. Well, not exactly U.N. Owen Was Her, but rather some vocal arrange with the main melody heavily altered and barely recognizable. The lyrics were in English, but with Japanese subtitles. The video itself consisted of Flandre playfully running around on some meadow, in full sunlight. I tried to notify a friend, but writing the message took me so long that the video ended before I was done.

Zil

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
I dreamt that I was Nue (or looked like her or something). I was being chased by a robotic centipede. I escaped and somehow wound up in a city made of sand. Then I chased some schoolgirls dressed like touhou characters around while trying to lick their armpits.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:28:16 PM by Zil »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
I dreamt that I was Nue (or looked like her or something). I was being chased by a robotic centipede. I escaped and somehow wound up in a city made of sand. Then I chased some schoolgirls dressed like touhou characters around while trying to lick their armpits.
That dream must've been amazing lol
Why lick armpits?

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
I once dreamed my family got transplanted to Gensokyo and were just hanging out.  Didn't meet anyone from Touhou, just knew where I was.  Another time, it was a strange crossover that involved Yuuka and two other girls (dunno who they were) marrying a character from another series and some weird stuff involving the girl going insane and crashing an airplane (don't ask how we got one) and Yuuka trying to talk her out of it.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to be Reimu watching the whole mess unfold and getting ready to step in, or myself...

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
Two dreams to share with you guys, both of 'em involving the imouto-samas

1. I'm back in my apartment in Korea and my younger sister is playing some kind of tag game with my younger cousin in the living room. The doorbell rings and I go out to see who it is - it is Remilia and Flandre. They came here to see me, and I talk Gensokyo with them (asking them how is Gensokyo, what is Yuyuko doing, etc.) - pretty much the dialog was in Japanese. Then, Flandre sees my younger sister playing tag with my younger cousin and asks me if she can join. I say "go ahead".

That's when the dream goes in a funny note - Remilia, Flandre, my younger sister, and my cousin start running around in circles in the middle of the room while squealing in a somewhat... cheerful way. After Remilia is done she asks me out on a cup of tea. I say yes, and the Scarlet sisters leave, which is when the dream ends.

2. Koishi appeared in my dorm room, blankly staring at me. Then the dream ended :X

So far had no dream involving Yuyuko's appearance. Would be amused if she did appear in one of my dreams though.
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Vael

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
I won't lie, I'm finding this all really fascinating, especially since I can never remember my dreams :(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:26:53 AM by Vael »

Tengukami

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »
I won't lie, I'm finding this all really fascinated, especially since I can never remember my dreams :(

I normally can't either! I think the last dream I can remember happened ... last year some time, and before then, years ago. That just added to the strangeness of this dream. Why did I dream again, and why this? It boggles my mind.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:50 PM »
I vaguely remember a dream about Okuu in a fire emblem-style game.
...Or was that the Fire Emblem OVAs? All I know is that I think she was having an argument with someone who looked like Roy. (Over eggs maybe?)
(The dream afterwards was a surreal, Armored Core-esque one with no touhou.)

I also vaguely remember another dream involving me going to the door of this house, nice little suburban place, and who should answer the door but Flan?
Weird thing was, she seemed kinda scared when she saw me, like a typical little girl.
What I'd like to know is, why was she scared? Was it my face? I'm not that ugly... :fail:
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:06 AM »
Man these dreams sound great. Can't remember the last time I had one. You can coax yourself into a lucid dream. Going into the Zuniverse might be pretty cool.
I love that praying has gone digital at the Hakurei Shrine.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »
Maybe? To be honest I'm not really versed in Shinto or Buddhist chants, and was frankly very surprised when I searched "shinto chant" in YouTube and heard what sounded almost exactly like what I dreamed. But I guess I must've heard them somewhere before, I mean, how else would I know what they sounded like?
Ya know, that reminds me of when I was a kid were everything was flashing wither OOC (out of commission) or OOO (Out of Order) before I ran into such a term. Things like dreams can be very odd things, sometimes having loads of meaning, other times not. I can't seem to get it down how to remember dreams or reaching a dream state very good.

Though I did have an odd momentary dream where I heard this child-like voice singing something about someone being lazy like a dropped jaw (I'm guessing this was a reference to cartoon when a jaw drops to the floor.). Other odd thing was I saw a flash of Koishi so I think it was her. It was when I decided to take a nap before I went to leave for my second try getting back all the way home from my little Reitaisai trip. It's kinda spooky how close that encounter is to her real article.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:19 AM »
2 weeks or so ago a Walfas-designed character who had w's for eyes popped up in my dreams, and a few days ago I dreamed I was playing TD and had four spare lives for the final battle. I was so happy since I knew I had enough resources to make it, and then I woke up :V

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 03:14:33 AM »
I normally can't either! I think the last dream I can remember happened ... last year some time, and before then, years ago. That just added to the strangeness of this dream. Why did I dream again, and why this? It boggles my mind.

Usually I can third that, it's just on the rare occasion I do remember them, they tend to be extra strength weird and/or based on fandom(s).

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 03:56:21 AM »
I won't lie, I'm finding this all really fascinated, especially since I can never remember my dreams :(

Can I point out the irony that your nickname says "dreamer"?  :)  Sorry, couldn't help it.

One thing that I've tried that worked very well for me is writing down my dreams first thing after waking up.  As a result I have very good dream recall because it became natural for me to think about my dreams right after waking up, even before opening my eyes.  I've got a pretty long "dream journal" I guess you would call it that I'll read before going to sleep and that puts me in a mind state that I feel like I'll remember my dreams better.  I really hope no one ever finds it...

Back when I was doing this every day I had some very lucid dreams that I can recall as if they happened while I was awake, if not more so.  Some of them were genuinely scary because of how real they seemed, but very cool none the less. 

As for Touhou dreams, I'll have to go through my journal but more than anything I can recall the music in one of my dreams very well, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I fall asleep with music on a lot, so its fresh on my mind.

I had a dream that I was in a Formula 1 race with Last Remote blaring in my car (not sure how the hell I would be able to hear it) but because of that Last Remote is my favorite driving song.  That song has an incredible bass line that just doesn't sound as good on my computer speakers or headphones, in fact... I think I'll go for a drive!

Another thing that's not related to dreams per se is I apparently talk a lot in my sleep.  My parents have tried to record this many times but failed, I really want to see it.  My mom did tell me one time that I kept finishing my "sentences" (it sounds more like just syllables thrown together apparently) with "da ze", could be coincidence but I doubt it.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
My very first Touhou dream involved Patchouli and Koakuma getting married. Then I woke up.

I haven't really had many Touhou-related dreams in some time.  The last I can recall was me arguing with my mother, then suddenly breaking out into a musical number while Yamame's theme played. That...is a dream I won't ever forget.

Vael

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »
Can I point out the irony that your nickname says "dreamer"?  :)  Sorry, couldn't help it.
*grins*

I'm a BIG fan of irony, but my nickname refers to the fact that it's insanely easy for me to start daydreaming extremely lucid things, it's like my consciousness goes, "Okay Brain, we learnt how to drive, you have the instructions engraved into your very matter, now I'll be out for a bit. Call me if there are problems."

One thing that I've tried that worked very well for me is writing down my dreams first thing after waking up.  As a result I have very good dream recall because it became natural for me to think about my dreams right after waking up, even before opening my eyes.  I've got a pretty long "dream journal" I guess you would call it that I'll read before going to sleep and that puts me in a mind state that I feel like I'll remember my dreams better.  I really hope no one ever finds it...
I tried that once for like a week, but it never really worked, I'd always forget my dreams the moment I wake up. Well, except for a few that I believed had messages I guess, but once I tell the recipient, it quickly fades away from my memory.

Another thing that's not related to dreams per se is I apparently talk a lot in my sleep.  My parents have tried to record this many times but failed, I really want to see it.  My mom did tell me one time that I kept finishing my "sentences" (it sounds more like just syllables thrown together apparently) with "da ze", could be coincidence but I doubt it.
This. This is the coolest thing on this thread yet.  :D

Zil

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43:44 AM »
It helps to try to remember them the instant you wake up, before you even move. In fact, even if you already got up and forgot about it, returning to the position in which you were asleep can help you remember. And if you do remember it right after waking up, writing down a few notes can be enough to jog your memory later, in case you don't have time to write the whole thing out immediately. It takes me hours to write them sometimes. :V

Why lick armpits?
Clearly you do not understand the allure of armpits, or there would be no question as to why one should lick them.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
Last night I dreamed I was in one of the Touhoumon games.  Not sure which, all I knew was that the puppets didn't look anything like either the 1.5 or 1.8 sprites (though that could just be my brain filtering to show this was the "reality" of the dream).  And I encountered a Shiny Yuyuko.  Chalking this one up to how long it took me to get her in 1.8...

Vael

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, remember how I said that I daydream quite a bit? Well, two days ago, I was waiting for my lecturer to hand in my assignment when my mind wandered off into the lands of dreams, and next thing I know, Koichi is just chilling there sitting next to me with this insanely vague smile and kicking her feet. So, not sure if I'm going crazy or if I was actually asleep, I looked straight ahead only to find her face right against mine, as a note: vague smile + blank eyes are really creepy yo. Any ways, glad she has my attention, she straightens up and twirls on the spot, and a rather familiar-looking parasol was pointed at me. I couldn't get a clear look of Yuuka's face, she suddenly twirled on the spot and as Koichi she ran away.

Gasping a little, I hear my lecturer's chuckles as I stood up and got him to tell me what happened. Apparently, I was just sleeping.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 03:44:07 AM »
Just woke up from a nap involving even moar Touhous... a really vivid one too - involving my favorite Yukari and Youmu, woohoo!

I was playing some kind of skydiving game on my Xbox... didn't know what game it was, but kind of looked like the base jumping from Grand Theft Auto TBoGT, but then Yukari comes in and asks me if I'd like to join her on a skydiving. I said yes, and then she suddenly makes that mysterious grin of hers and says that she has an even better idea than having herself and me actually do the jumping. She suddenly gaps Youmu and says "this is a training session!" and then... we're in the skies - night skies. Yukari and I are just floating in the sky, like ten thousand feet off the ground, along with a frightened Youmu. From there Yukari and I are floating down the sky on some sort of invisible magic carpet. Youmu has a parachute on her back and starts free falling while screaming out "SAVE MEEEEE!" I ask Yukari if Youmu knows how to open a parachute and then Yukari answers "well, all we have to do is... just float".

So I enjoy the floating down the air with Yukari and Youmu opens her parachute... well, if only it were a parachute, because IT TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS A HANG GLIDER, and all I hear from her is things like "Wheeeee GTFO of my way bitches!" and "Fuck yeah! I got this!". All of a sudden, out of nowhere, Aya comes in with her parachute and starts taking snaps of us. Youmu gets mad and starts dive-bombing into Aya with her hang glider. At the point where we landed on the ground, I woke up from my nap.

Gotta ask Aya for them pictures of my "skydiving" with Yukari. Where did she go?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:13:01 PM by DeltaSierra4 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 04:34:49 AM »
Mine don't make much sense, but that's fine for Gensokyo at least...

I dreamt it was winter and a rocket ship settled near my garage and out came Kaguya, Mokou Sakuya and Flandre.

They urged me to go into the rocket ship and I distinctly felt haunted as soon as I stepped in; as if I knew this was my last time on earth.

We hurled through space and there was a malfunction with the ship and we begin to fall out of the ship.
I awoke from a brick alley and saw Ran by my side saying the worlds between Gensokyo and Earth begin to intermix with each other.
I felt worried and when we stepped out of the alley I saw a blown out war between Gensokyo and earth.

My most distinct memory of this was a tank shooting down Momiji and feeling anger I hadn't felt since my "dark years"
Taking bullets, I jumped into the tank and tore the guy inside to pieces.
The rest of the dream followed with me rending flesh and feeling full of madness and sorrow.

And then I woke up :V

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
Haven't had much luck in the way of lucid dreaming...meh.
I've had a recurring dream of attending the same university as Renko...as a ghost, no less.

Also had one involving Koishi as a jazz singer a few months back. The song she sang didn't seem to exist, but it was particularly strange since I had no prior knowledge of Touhou.

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
I had a dream like this:
I saw a non-Touhou game and the ticker/message banner says something like "Capture Icicle Fall -Easy-"  :o