Author Topic: Youyou Kengeki Musou Translation  (Read 33579 times)

MrBigz

• Rael
Youyou Kengeki Musou Translation
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
I've started a translation of Youyou Kengeki Musou, also known as "dat 3D Youmu game".

http://imageshack.us/f/840/youyou.png/

I've been able to access the script for the game, as well as unpack the data and music files. I've gotten a translation for the config .exe for the game, but now I need a translation of the images. I've gathered all the images that need translation here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fs5bug22mzohsx9 (outdated and deleted, look below)

If anyone can translate these images for me, that'd be great. (No need to do actual image editing, unless you really want to!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:16:27 PM by MrBigz »

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Re: Youyou Kengeki Musou Translation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »
Just so you know, version 1.2.0 was released a few days ago.

I hope it doesn't render your translation efforts void, though, as I'm really looking forward to it.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
Oh wow, awesome.

No, it shouldn't affect it at all, as long as the author didn't change the archive algorithms.

Edit: I unpacked all the extra files. Here is an updated rar:

http://www.mediafire.com/?l248xv324hbb7oa

None of the old images have changed, there's just a couple new ones.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:15:59 PM by MrBigz »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
Requesting music rips of this one when you have the time.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
Off-topic but new patch = new stage? Appears that the Moriya Shrine is the EX stage here.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
Yeah, there's an ex stage at Moriya shrine.

Here's the music:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w9hbst9hvnfhpcf

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »
Yeah, there's an ex stage at Moriya shrine.

Here's the music:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w9hbst9hvnfhpcf

I got the OST along with the game, and heard Faith is for the Transient People, so I was assuming either a cut-out stage or the EX stage, apparently, it was the latter. Just finished it a few minutes ago, Sanae was harder than anticipated, the 9-line spell card is hard to position if you lag a bit.

On the other hand, love the stage design, the sunset and the entrance to the Moriya Shrine, very well kept, not unlike the other shrine with all the broken structures (*snicker*)

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
Just wondering, but how did you manage to unpack the data? i tried (with my limited knowledge) everything I could think of to no avail  :V

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
It's a pretty simple archive. Someone had already made a script though over at http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8008, so it saved some time. You need QuickBMS to run the script. It's a very handy dearchiving program, makes it easier to create your own archive algorithms rather than making a program for it from scratch.

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
Ah, thanks a lot

ed

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
Oh man, talk about timing. I've just finished doing translation tools myself, and I've been stuck looking for translators for the past few days.

At any rate, I collected all the in-game dialogue into a single text file to make translation easier; I know enough about the .bnt files to replace text, but not enough to link text to actors (yet).

Hope this can be of use, even though it sounds like you're quite far along yourself.  ::)

EDIT: I think I just scored a translator, but he's busy for another few days. With some luck I'll have it done within a week.  :V
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:36:07 PM by 9001 »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:45:33 AM »
Well, I haven't quite figured it all out yet, I was about to try to find the string size variables before extracting the dialogue, just so I know I can actually get the proper english strings in there beforehand. I haven't had too much experience with archive decryption yet. You're definitely farther along than I am at the moment.

So, the dialogue was inserted via the .bnt script files were they?

ed

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »
Yeah, all of the in-game dialogue seems to be in the mission files; ms010 and up. It looks like there are groups of command types and command variables, but luckily they don't use static addresses. Each string in there starts with hex {10,00,00,08} followed by the length of the string, and finally the string itself. You can replace it with any Shift-JIS you want, and modify the length accordingly. Just remember to update the header of rpackXX.dat with new lengths/offsets as well!

Oh, and this is the first time I'm trying to do anything like this too... There's been a lot of trial and error so far.  :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:32:34 AM by ed »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »
Ah, I see, thanks for the info.

Yea, in the past I've used file disassembly to change variables to change string length, but since the text was in the archive, I really couldn't do it that way.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »
ed, was your translator able to help you out? If not, I can look around for people to do it.

ed

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
Terribly sorry for the delay, but it's moving in the right direction at the very least. A guy with moderate skills wanted to try his hand at translation, so this ended up being his first project. I've played through the whole game with his script and he seems to have done a good job, but I'll pass it by a rather experienced TLC after some editing just to make sure.

The major bottlenecks right now are some technical stuff and image translation. Primarily, I still haven't figured out how to speed up the text display, which is rather on the slow side. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to double-tap the slash button on each piece of dialogue to make it bearable.

I'm still in the middle of finals, but I'll try to release it in a timely manner. That said, being a perfectionist doesn't really help :V
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:24:52 PM by ed »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
I can help out with it. I have the translation for the images at least, so I can do the image editing if you haven't started on it yet.

Are you sure it's not fast enough? o.o It must be like 10 lines of text per box or something, it scrolls pretty fast for me.

ed

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »
Thanks, that would be great! It's been a fair while since I touched photoshop or the likes, so I'd probably spend ages getting it to look like the original text  :D

The text currently shows up this fast, which causes an unfortunate issue with extra long messages. In cases where the translated line is too long compared to the original, it skips onto the next message halfways through... I think I have a solution for that, but I'd much prefer it like this anyhow (where you just tap slash for next line). Well, I guess this way the player is free to choose his own rate!

As for releasing the translation patch once it's ready, my idea was to just put it on mediafire and link it here. I don't think it'll need an installer either, since all you gotta do is replace a single file in the resource folder. Unless you have a better idea I really don't mind keeping it simple  :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:18:15 AM by ed »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
I started on the images; here's the first one I did as an example. Tell me if you think the image in general is good enough.

http://imageshack.us/f/706/ttitlelogo.png

I'm trying to figure out how the images were compressed, since their file size was only based on their image size. That way I can make them the same size as the original and prevent changing the file size pointers when recompressing. I think there should probably be an installer as well, it makes it easier for people generally. Well, it's up to you though, personally I find it easy to make an Inno installer so it's no big deal.

Edit: Proper compression was DXT1. I got it reimported as well:

http://imageshack.us/f/221/yoyow.png
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:46:16 AM by MrBigz »

ed

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
Don't worry about filepointers man, since rpack03.dat is empty we'll just jam everything in there  :D also I tried playing around with various compression methods, (6 hours later) it looks like the game handles both DXT1 and DXT5 well!

I'm thinking that since most of the images are rather straight-forward, I'd put a bit more effort into the more complicated ones... Maybe something like this could work? Couldn't figure out how to do proper blending with DXT1 so this is with DXT5...

Oh and here's the current rpack (logo and full script), in case you want to take a look. Script's still not even proofread, much less TLC'd - I'm still working on making it more readable for the TLC. I hope to have everything set for tonight, but I'm running a bit short on time  :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:09:58 AM by ed »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 03:42:56 AM »
Yea I noticed some images used DXT1 and some DXT5. Either way i just used the same compression as the originals. I've already gotten a lot of the menus done, including the main menu and pause menu. We can decide at the end how to do the title then.

Here's the menus:

http://imageshack.us/f/338/27900585.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/855/65951133.png/

ed

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »
Looking great so far, thanks for the help!

As for the script, I don't think I'll be passing it on for TLC tonight, but I'll do it ASAP. Sorry for the holdback but I'm only human  ;)

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
Well, I hope to see this soon. But you ARE translating the version 1.2.0 patch, right?
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
I think the only difference in script was the extra mode script added on, but I hope he has the newest version.

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
Indeed, and I would think that the Extra stage is important, after all. Plus all the menus added.
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Yeah. Well, I'm taking care of the menus anyway.  :3

ed

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »
Alright, so translation patch is finally done! TLC has way too much to do these days, but eventually found some time.
Everything seems to work after a quick playthrough so HERE GOES.

I made a translation patcher, as well as a patch for updating the game to the latest version.
If you want to do it yourself, here is a 7zip of the file to put in the "resource" folder.

Oh and MrBigz, I don't think I got your image zipfile in the end, so I rushed through it with photoshop on my own. Sorry if you wasted a lot of time on it  :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:30:47 AM by ed »

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
You guys need help with promoting the link?

ed

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
Thanks, that would be great! It's the first time we do somehing like this after all  :3

...and please do tell if you run into any issues!

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
To be honest,  I haven't tried it yet... been spending my time with Touhou Sky Arena lately, I'll check it soon.