Author Topic: Mystic Oriental Love Consultation  (Read 3832 times)

Mystic Oriental Love Consultation
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
Author's Note: This is just a stupid story I came up with when thinking about the title of a song. Expect updates to be slow at best. Any constructive criticism is very much appreciated.

There was a polite tapping at the door. Reimu, who had been slouching behind her desk, immediately perked up and did her best to make it look as though she hadn't been on the brink of dozing off. This was her first customer, and it was important to make a good impression. Reputation is everything.
She cleared her throat then called out "Come in"
Slowly, the door opened and the dollmaker, Alice Margatroid walked in, looking nervous and fidgety. She had already been standing outside the door for half an hour, debating whether or not to knock. It somehow seemed shameful to be asking for help with her love life, but then, what choice did she have?
Paralyzed by indecision, she had remained outside, as still as a statue... and attracting more than a few curious glances and a couple of outright stares - Not that she noticed.
As she walked in, she took the opportunity to look around at the room. It was depressingly bare. The floor was simply bare boards with no sort of covering whatsoever, and the walls had been painted magnolia. The only visible items of furniture were a largish desk and two chairs, upon one of which sat Reimu.
Alice noted that Reimu?s hair was knotted, her eyes were full of sand, and it appeared as though she was attempting to sit on a porcupine. Alice half expected her to say something like ?I wasn?t sleeping!?, but she didn?t. Instead she gestured towards the empty chair and said
?Please take a seat.?
Alice gingerly lowered her bottom onto the chair.  Even with Reimu?s disheveled appearance, this was still the sort of place that radiated an awkward atmosphere. She looked down at the desk and noticed a line of ofuda meticulously lined up along the middle. What exactly were those there for? Or did she want to know? Reimu shuffled some papers and coughed.
?Let?s get protocol over first. Let me assure you that these consultations are carried out in the strictest?? she suddenly stood up and Alice felt an ofuda whizz past her ear. There was a loud bang and a muffled ?Ow!? Looking behind her, Alice saw a rapidly disappearing gap. Reimu sat down again. ??confidence. Nothing you say shall leave this room.?
?Oh, uh okay.? It was hard for Alice to reconcile her image of Reimu as a lazy shrine maiden with the bored efficiency she was currently displaying.
Reimu stared at her for an extremely uncomfortable minute.
?Well??
Alice jumped slightly. She wasn?t used to having someone give her so much attention.
?Ah? You see? There?s a person I like but??
Reimu had started fiddling with one of the ofuda. Alice trailed off as she stared at the movement of her fingers. Reimu stopped fiddling and looked up.
?Go on.?
Alice jumped once again.
?? but I?m? not sure if they like me back and??
Reimu gestured ?somewhat impatiently- that she should continue.
?I? don?t want to lose the friendship we already have.?
Alice gazed at Reimu imploringly with tears in her eyes. Reimu adopted a thoughtful expression.
?Hmmm? Yes, I see this sort of thing a lot.? She muttered. ?You should make a decision based around your priorities.?
?Huh??
Reimu sighed.
?Which is more important to you ? the friendship the two of you have already, or the possibility of a romantic relationship??
?Uh?Umm??
?You don?t have to answer right now, just think about it.?
?O-okay.?
?But remember, don?t leave it too long to decide. It?ll become more difficult as time passes.?
?Alright.? Alice?s voice was barely above a whisper.
?And get more motivated!? Reimu banged her fist on the table and instantly regretted it. Alice mistook the expression of pain for one of anger, and her voice rose several octaves.
?I-I?ll do it!? she squeaked ?I?ll ask her right away!?
Reimu surreptitiously nursed her hand and nodded.
?Only do it if you think it?s best??
Alice, who had looked ready to commit suicide only moments before, was now radiating determination. Maybe Reimu was better at this than she thought.
?I?ll do it! I?ll definitely do it!? She grabbed Reimu?s hand and started pumping it up and down. ?Thank you very much!?
She then turned and dashed out the door. It slammed back into place behind her.

As Reimu sat, blinking, listening to the sound of footsteps getting further and further away, it dawned on her that Alice had forgotten to pay.

Re: Mystic Oriental Love Consultation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
Ohmigawd an update! and continuity! Awesome! Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Reimu was close to falling asleep. She hadn?t realized that this job was going to be so boring. At least at the shrine she didn?t need to be present all the time, and incidents always happened all at once.
She idly fiddled with an amulet as she mused.
Still, she needed the extra money, and it was only because her shrine-maiden duties were so few that she was able to take another job at all.

Her reverie was interrupted by a polite but insistent tapping on the door. Jerked awake, Reimu swept her arm across the desk, knocking dozens of misshapen paper cranes, planes, hats and boats to the floor.

?Come in.? she called out, her voice slightly hoarse from disuse.

She watched as the door slowly opened and a girl dressed in purple floated in. The librarian from that vampires place. What was her name again? Lavender? Something like that.

As Reimu attempted to remember the name of one of the many people she didn?t meet very often, Patchouli surveyed the room, noting that aside from the strangely folded amulets lying all over the floor, it was extremely spartan.  She wasn?t used to the idea of a room that had no storage space, although admittedly, that was probably because of the company she kept.

Realizing that she had been silent for too long, Reimu gave up on the name. It didn?t matter anyway.

?Close the door please.? she said, then watched as the librarian obeyed with agonizing slowness. At least she wouldn?t be able to run off without paying. She motioned for her to sit, and waited once more.

?Now,? she said once the librarian?s butt was close enough to the chair ?what can I do for you??

?I just received a confession from someone and don?t know what to do.? Blunt and to the point. Maybe this wouldn?t take all day after all. Reimu also caught the edge of exhaustion creeping into the librarian?s voice, despite her admirable efforts to hide it.

?Well, what?s your relationship with this person been like so far??

?Um? This is confidential right??

Reimu mentally cursed her slip-up.
?Yes. Completely.?

?Well, she and I are friends? but I never thought she might have a crush on me?? Patchouli?s ? that was her name ? voice began to falter slightly.

?Uh-huh. Do you like her?? Something was niggling in Reimu?s mind, demanding her attention.

?I? that is? I like her as a friend, but I?m not really sure if? I like her more than that. You know??

?Do you like her or don?t you? Given the choice, would you prefer to spend time in her company or not?? Ah that was it. She had forgotten to eat lunch. Soon as this consultation was over, she?d be off to a restaurant, since she?d have money by then. Hopefully.

?I?uh? I do? like her company, but?? Patchouli paused often as she chose the right words. It was all Reimu could do to keep paying attention. She cut her off at the earliest opportunity

?Would you object to her being all lovey-dovey around you??

?? ? ? No.? Patchouli remained silent for a time, but when she eventually spoke; her voice carried an air of finality.

?You already know where I?m going with this, don?t you??

?Yes.?

?Well then there?s no point continuing is there??

?None whatsoever.?

?I guess we?re done then.?

?I guess we are.?

Reimu?s eyes narrowed, was she doing this on purpose?
?That just leaves the matter of payment.?

Patchouli began rummaging in her? Dress? Robe? Nightgown?
From somewhere within the embodiment of bagginess she was wearing, she managed to extricate a large heavy-looking tome, which she almost dropped. She managed to heave it onto the desk, which gave an alarming creak.
?Will this do? It is quite unique.?

Reimu eyed the book with suspicion. If the cheap desk gave way, it?d fall right onto her knees. She quickly shuffled her chair backwards. Safe in the knowledge that she would most likely get out with her legs intact, she read the title ? ?A dissertation on the thaumaturgical effects experienced by amphibious fauna.? As expected, it meant nothing to her.

?Er? Don?t you have anything a little? less unique?? Like money, she added mentally.

?Everything I own is unique.?

?I see? Umm, in that case, I?ll accept it.?

?Good. Thank you very much.? Patchouli got up and turned to leave, perhaps marginally faster than when she arrived, as Reimu tried to figure out what to do with her ?payment.?