Author Topic: AnimeBoston 2012: Fantastic times with Mizuki Hitoshi-san!  (Read 165059 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
AnimeBoston 2012: Fantastic times with Mizuki Hitoshi-san!
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
Update 3/11/12: We've hit our goal! thank you all so much!

AnimeBoston 2012, in addition to being the generally awesome con it always is, is going to be super special for Touhou fans! In addition to what will assuredly be an even bigger turnout than last year's already impressive Touhou showing, we should be seeing not one, but two potential Touhou guests!

The first is the person referenced in the thread topic. A few months ago, several of us in #conmeido got together, formulated the idea for bringing a Touhou guest to America, dredging up the courage to be willing to sponsor said guest should we not be able to get a con to sponsor them for us, and after a quick e-mail exchange with our first choice, we already had someone willing to visit. Having kept this contained to #conmeido until today, it is with great pleasure I announce that Hitoshi Mizuki, mangaka and main character of Hang in There, Kogasa-san!, has agreed to come to America and attend a convention! Our group generally agreed on AnimeBoston after other potential opportunities fell through, and so we begin the proper planning of getting him a plane ticket and a room.

Now, this stuff is obviously not cheap, and does not include whatever else he'll need while here (con badge, at the very least). Given this, we are currently planning to raise $2500 in order to safely get him over here with a comfortable cushion should something go amiss. We will try to cover as much of that as we can, but that's a fair sum of money, so we turn to you, other AnimeBoston attendees. If you would like to help us out, we will gladly take whatever you are willing and able to donate (osaise~n~). See the next post for the proper information; Gandalph will be covering the plane ticket, so all PayPal donations should be funneled to him. (I'll be covering the room and may nick a tiny bit of comp off of his collective depending on how much we can raise.) Make sure to send any donation as a Gift, since this is, after all, a gift to Hitoshi (also to ensure you avoid PayPal fees).

Our second potential guest at least won't require our direct assistance. After being informed that Mizuki-san was very likely to be at AnimeBoston, LeoModesto, operator of and artist for the Ask Udonge tumblr account, has become very interested in attending as well! While this is not a thing set in stone, AnimeBoston is one of the four conventions on his recent list of places he'd like to go, and assuming Mizuki-san shows, I suspect he'll choose AB. (He was rather excited on Steam and IRC, at least!) Unfortunately, this isn't going to work out this year, due to questionable interview practices by the US consulate in Brazil. We hope to have Leo next year, though!

Thank you for reading! The braying and neighing of AnimeBarnyard animals follows.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:57:13 PM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Re: AnimeBoston 2012: Help us sponsor a Japanese Touhou guest!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:28:53 AM »
Hey there youse gaiz!

I'll keep updated totals of the current collection here. Please send moneys to g4nd41ph@gmail.com to pledge. If you want me to post your name, then please put it in the payment note. Otherwise, I'll put you down as an anonymous donor. PLEASE REMEMBER TO MARK THE PAYMENT AS A GIFT, FIRST BECAUSE IT IS, AND SECOND BECAUSE PAYPAL DOESN'T CHARGE FEES FOR GIFT TRANSACTIONS. ALSO, PAY WITH A BANK ACCOUNT INSTEAD OF A CREDIT CARD IF YOU CAN, BECAUSE THAT AVOIDS CREDIT CARD FEES.

So yeah, help us help you. Sending Mizuki Hitoshi to the US is not cheap, but with a community effort, it can be done with a minimum impact to our wallets and offer maximum impact directly to the fun and the awesome.

CURRENT TOTAL: $5000
REMAINING TO GOAL: -$2500

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

As the first donor, I'll put down Kilgamayan, who's covering the cost of the hotel at $600.
I got $50 from Zakenna this morning, 1/23. Thank You!
I got $25 from labeth this morning, 1/23. Thank You!
I got $250 from Reddyne this evening, 1/23. Thank You!
I got $250 from -K- this evening, 1/23. Thank You!
I got $50 from Sophilia this evening, 1/26. Thank You!
I got $100 from Murein this morning, 1/29. Thank You!
I got $100 from Genichiro this evening, 2/15. Thank You!
I got $650 from anonymous this morning, 2/16. Thank You!
I got $325 from Ibaraki Ibuki this evening, 2/19. Thank You!
I got $40 from Triangles this evening, 2/19. Thank You!
I got $31.41 from UncertainKitten this evening, 2/19. Thank You! But why the weird amount?
I got another $25 from Murein this evening, 2/19. Thank You!
I just got $2500 from Nat Tea/Choja. We are currently discussing what we are going to do with this extra money. Stay posted here for more information.

Notice how the ENTIRE BAR IS GREEN?! AWWWW YEAH CHECK THAT OUT! HITOSHI IS ON HIS WAY! WE ARE $%#* AWESOME!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:10:57 AM by Gandalph »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
You should sticky and/or put this in the site news.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Should I? I hesitated making this more important than any of the previous con threads because it's basically only applicable to those attending, even with the extra stuff involved. I've actually already gotten a pledge (to be fulfilled later) from someone that, as far as I know, isn't even going, which makes me feel kinda bad. :C

I guess I'll do it if a staff member that isn't going to AB approves it, but I don't think I'm in a proper position to make that kind of judgment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:47:33 PM by Kilgamayan »

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »
I was wondering when the donation drive for Mizuki Hitoshi was going to come up.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:45:53 AM »
Does the $2500 cover the massive amounts of meat he's going to (want to) be eating? :V

Zakenna

• polyvinylcrush
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 02:51:16 AM »
I think they calculated the eagle's deli challenge into that figure  :D

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate you guys?
Because I'm damn right jealous right now of anyone who is going because:
A) I'm in England! ><
B) I LOVE Hitoshi & Hang in there Kogasa-san!
C) I LOVE Ask Udonge!

I'll donate for you guys at the very least. Just know that I'm going to be all paru-paru for, like, EVER!!!
The UK never gets the good stuff. >>

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »
Hell, it's about time. Now I know where to throw my money!
Also, don't worry, we'll be sure to have our resident tactical video recording operator record plenty of footage.

(AB staff needs to hurry up and get back to Maullar & Co. about panel applications)

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
And this is why you should have always ask MotK's true 1% when this stuff happens. Anyway I hearts Hitoshi so sure why not. I could probably pump out 1.8k if I get my sister to Paypal it over, but may I ask when the deadline is? I have other important things that my money has to go to, too.

And that 1.8k will come out from my anime con allowance that I have been saving for november.  ;_;

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
Lol. Why don't we get ZUN to come? xDDDDD

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »
Will be putting in a good amount later today most likely. I'll see if I can't tack on a bit of back-up cash in the next couple of weeks if we don't quite make it.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »
Also, don't worry, we'll be sure to have our resident tactical video recording operator record plenty of footage.

Man I'd hate to be that guy, he's going to have to record like the entire time he's at the con OH WAIT CRAP HE MEANT ME FUUU I NEED TO GET MORE BATTERIES STAT.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
Tactical camerameido~

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »
And this is why you should have always ask MotK's true 1% when this stuff happens. Anyway I hearts Hitoshi so sure why not. I could probably pump out 1.8k if I get my sister to Paypal it over, but may I ask when the deadline is? I have other important things that my money has to go to, too.

And that 1.8k will come out from my anime con allowance that I have been saving for november.  ;_;

Wow. Well. Um.

To be honest, I'd kinda rather you spend that much money on yourself so you can get here and enjoy the convention with everyone else.

But if you really can't come, then we certainly won't turn the offer down.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:08:22 AM »
Wow. Well. Um.

To be honest, I'd kinda rather you spend that much money on yourself so you can get here and enjoy the convention with everyone else.

But if you really can't come, then we certainly won't turn the offer down.

Enjoy the con without me. I would be deathly excited if I could go, but, parents. Anyway, don't get your hopes that high up. Best case scenario is I pay at least 1k, but at worse im going to have to ship Dormio 100$ to pay pal over.

Empathsizing this because I have made many people excited but then my plans crash and burn and they rage even though I tried.

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Zakenna

• polyvinylcrush
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 05:47:52 AM »
(AB staff needs to hurry up and get back to Maullar & Co. about panel applications)

for the Touhou panel? or Slam Jam panel?

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »
for the Touhou panel? or Slam Jam panel?

Well I don't think he's running the Touhou panel, so... :V

Zakenna

• polyvinylcrush
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
Well I don't think he's running the Touhou panel, so... :V

AWWWWW YEAAAA

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
Does the $2500 cover the massive amounts of meat he's going to (want to) be eating? :V
Most likely: Nope.

Also, I assume Hitoshi isn't coming alone. Because there is noway his Sanaewife is going to let him go alive.

Finally, shouldn't this thread be in the News Section?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:21:32 PM by Helepolis »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
If we can raise enough money for both, then yes.

Also,
Spoiler:
LIKE I WAS SAYING YOU NEED TO PROMOTE THIS, KILGA.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
Oh, very well.

EDIT: Done. I'm still not a huge fan of requesting donations of people that won't be attending, but I guess if non-AB peeps want to help us out then I'm in no position to refuse.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:07:32 PM by Kilgamayan »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
Well you'll never know. Perhaps some people will change their minds and attend because such things probably happen once in a life time (unless you decide to visit Ket/Reitaisai yourself sometime). Either way it is always news-worthy to see such things being planned and executed. Even if the idea would be scrapped, it still remains nice.

pineyappled

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
Sanaewife is going? Why do I live in California? ;_;

Might donate 50 if you still need it later.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
As far as I know, there are currently no plans to bring Sanaewife over. Only Hitoshi has been invited so far and we are budgeting under the assumption of bringing one person.

If we happen to raise the necessary funding, then we will probably invite her over as well. Either her or Marisafriend.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
or Marisafriend.
This can't end well.

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
AnimeBoston? I would go, but I can't. Parents. Anyway, if you want a Japanese Touhou guest, have you tried to contact Japanese Americans? [ Given the fact that is is in Boston? ] Anyway, this post will get me probated again if people say this is pure nonsense.
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
I will probably be going to AB, but I am unfortunately very low on money being in college and coming from an otherwise lower-middle class home. If I had the money to donate I would :c
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
AnimeBoston? I would go, but I can't. Parents. Anyway, if you want a Japanese Touhou guest, have you tried to contact Japanese Americans? [ Given the fact that is is in Boston? ] Anyway, this post will get me probated again if people say this is pure nonsense.

Um...that would defeat the purpose given they're looking for a specific Japanese guest with relevance to the Touhou community. I'm...not sure I even understand why you think this would be an option.

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Um...that would defeat the purpose given they're looking for a specific Japanese guest with relevance to the Touhou community. I'm...not sure I even understand why you think this would be an option.

Then I guess I messed up really bad at my previous post.  Oh well, good luck finding one.
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "