Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 2, part 2  (Read 50068 times)

Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 2, part 2
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »
>You are Byakuren Hijiri, 18 years old, resident of the city of Mayoiga, caretaker (owner) of Rin Kaenbyou, resident of the Moonside apartments, and third year student of Mayoiga High. A few days ago, you were the most popular girl in school, one of the most well-known and liked girls around town. And then you touched a strange doll, and saw a world not your own. That was the day that everything changed, and you became Magical Lotus, the Hero of the Heart.

>At the start of the day, you had still been plagued by your battle with the yellow-skinned creature called a youma, and the fear that you had killed a living creature, and the guilt. Today those fears and guilts were allayed during your visit to the shrine of the Metal Tiger on the west side of town. As well as your fear that you might be alone in your fight. While at the shrine, you and part-timer Lily White were paid a visit by the Metal Tiger himself, who gave you both what insight He could into the enemy of the world, and the battle you now face, along with warnings that the head miko of His shrine, Satori Komeji, is not to be trusted, and that the strange doll you met after your fight with the youkai is your ally. Or at least, is not your enemy.
>Shortly after this meeting, you learned of one of your newfound powers: the ability to 'meld' your heart with that of another, and you joined your heart to Lily White's, in an attempt to remove an interdiction in her mind, keeping her from speaking the truth about a matter. This intimate contact left you with some lingering feelings of the light-hearted joy that you felt in Lilly's heart, and she reported having some influence from your heart, as well. Further consequences, if any, have not revealed themselves. The ring you acquired from the evil doll, and purified during your inner battle, produced another ring, one meant for Lily White, who accepted the duty of defending the earth very easily, and she became the first member of your harem the Hero of Spring.
>While sharing lunch with Lily and a member of her own harem another miko at the shrine, you met a young woman named Asuka Nagashima, who prefers to be known as Eagle. She is a member of the Manari, a four-member gang of no-goodnicks that had got themselves in trouble with the law, and was serving community service at the shrine. Seeing an opportunity, you have commissioned her into helping you locate a missing pendant, belonging to one Chen Yakumo, in exchange for a few strands of your hair, a picture of the both of you together, and a yet-to-be determined amount of money. Payment remains outstanding at this point.
>During your negotiations, the Eagle pointed out a glow in your pocket. Moments later, the gold ring that had been the youma you thought you had murdered transmogrified into a true youkai, free of the taint of the darkness and free to live the life she chose. According to her, it was the connection between your heart and Lily's that triggered this emergence. How this can be, you're not sure. She regards you and Lily both as her mothers, while is a source of some embarrassment, but not a bad kind.
>After you and Eagle entertained the shrine maidens of the Metal Tiger shrine with a song, and having a somewhat unpleasant exchange with a higher ranked, rather uptight, miko named Kiku, you and Eagle departed the shrine to find Chie's pendant, while Lily brought the newborn youkai, whom you have named Marigold, to the Center for the Recently Ascended, to help her adjust to her new existence. Despite numerous warnings about the Eagle being nothing but trouble, you've found her to be fairly good company, and have reason to believe she's not entirely happy with her life. Criminal though she may be, you suspect she has her reasons.
>Your investigation has taken you first to a little store called Kourin-dou, which is only slightly less organized than Nitori's shed. That is to say, it's a mess and a half. Your homeroom and history teacher, Keine Kamishirasawa, is present as well. The owner, Rinnosuke Morichika, appears to be boiling something sweet in the back room. The Eagle has gone to lunch. The time is now 5:56 PM.

>"I do."
>Try to get an idea what that tarped object is, without touching it.

>You make your way closer to the large tarp, picking your way across the detritus on the floor without stepping on things. The object has a circular base made of some sort of stone, a dark grey, with a circumference of about three and a half feet. It stands approximately seven feet tall. You can't make out any sort of plaque or inscription on the visible parts of the base. It has a distinctly 'statue' feel about it, but if it is, you're not quite sure what it's of, beyond the impression that it is most likely a humanoid figure of some sort. A glance around the store reveals no obvious way an object this large could have gotten inside the place, let alone behind the counter. But then, there's a fair amount of the place obscured behind copious amounts of merchandise.
>The boiling sound get even louder, and you hear Rinnosuke mutter something else out loud before a loud POP, accompanied by the sound of glass shattering, rings out through the place. The sickly sweet smell grows stronger, and a puff of white smoke billows out from the back room. Rinnosuke coughs, sounding more surprised than anything. "That's not gone well. *kaff kaff*"

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 2, part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:24 AM »
>"Are you okay?"

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:47:36 AM »
>"Are you okay?"

>"Just fine, thank you." Rinnosuke calls back, the door to the back room opening. "Experiments sometimes have unexpected results." he says simply as he walks onto the store floor. He is covered, from head to toe. in white and pink dust, and he wears a somewhat bemused expression.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
>"What... happened?"

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »
>"What... happened?"

>He produces a handkerchief and starts wiping off his glasses. "An unexpected result."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:14:38 AM »
>Give him a quick look over, does the pink and white dust seem to include any red spots that would indicate blood from cuts caused by that shattering glass?

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:26:06 AM »
>Give him a quick look over, does the pink and white dust seem to include any red spots that would indicate blood from cuts caused by that shattering glass?

>None that you can detect. Other than sporting an odd color scheme, he seems in peak physical condition.
>No, scratch that. He DOES have a couple of small red spots on his shoes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:33:42 AM »
>Well, he's not bleeding badly. Let him finish cleaning up before pointing it out to him.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:52:50 AM »
>Well, he's not bleeding badly. Let him finish cleaning up before pointing it out to him.

>Allotting the shopkeep a few moments to clean off his glasses, he places them back on his face, then gives you a closed-eye smile. "What can I do for you today, young lady?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:57:06 AM »
>"I think you're bleeding, sir,"
>Gesture toward the red spots.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
>"I think you're bleeding, sir,"
>Gesture toward the red spots.

>"Oh, those?" he says, glancing down. "No, I'm afraid that's just paint." He sighs faintly. "Serves me right for painting the house with my favourite shows on. But, I like these shoes."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »
>"Oh, good. I was afraid you were getting that pink stuff in some wounds."
>"Anyways, I'm looking for a particular necklace, and have been directed toward you to find it."

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »
>"Oh, good. I was afraid you were getting that pink stuff in some wounds."
>"Anyways, I'm looking for a particular necklace, and have been directed toward you to find it."

>"That would be uncomfortable, indeed."
>"Well, I shall certainly endeavor to please. Something for a friend? Boyfriend? Girlfriend?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:40:32 AM »
>"A friend, kind of. It's a bit more complicated than simple gift giving or retrieval. I'm looking for a particular lost necklace."
>Describe it!

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:42 AM »
>"A friend, kind of. It's a bit more complicated than simple gift giving or retrieval. I'm looking for a particular lost necklace."
>Describe it!

>Rinnosuke listens as you describe Chen's pendant to him. "How long ago did your friend misplace it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »
>Did she mention that? Hard to recall that far back. If so, tell him.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
>Did she mention that? Hard to recall that far back. If so, tell him.

>Chen mentioned 'a couple days ago', which you relate to Rinnosuke. He presses a hand to his chin. "I don't recall taking in a pendant like that in the past few days. It has been fairly busy, though, and I've been told things slip my mind. I could check my books, if you like."

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »
>"Please do."

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
>"Please do."

>The man nods and heads behind his counter, on the other side of the statue-like thing, then pauses, looking around. "Oh, right, other side." he mutters, coming back around the counter, comes past the large obstacle, then jumps the counter, rattling the objects upon it and sending a pen rolling to the floor. He has a distinctly sickly sweet smell clinging to him, as well as a cotton candy color scheme. He looks about again, then, "Ah, there it is." he intones, going to his knees and reaching under his counter. "Ah, no, that's the old Sixth Gear collection. .. No, that's the Hogger Daily...." The sound of rustling papers can be heard. "Now, where did I put that ledger...."

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »
>Wait for him to find it.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 02:13:09 AM »
>Wait for him to find it.

>The rustling of papers, continues for a minute or two, then you hear a solid *clank*, like flesh on metal. "What's THAT doing down.... Ah, right, the kappas. Eh..." The sound of rolling bottles. The he reaches up and lays a Mystia Lorelai CD on the counter. Followed by a small glass jar filled with a yellowish fluid. And then a book labeled "For the Awesome!" After that, he comes to his feet, a somewhat apologetic smile on his face. "I'm dreadfully sorry, ma'am, this may take a moment or two."
>"If I might interrupt, Rinnosuke." Keine interjects, coming to her feet, a book with a brown cover in her hands. "Is my order ready yet?"
>"Ah, yes, of course, sensei. It's out back, just give me a moment." He jumps the counter again, and heads for the back room.
>"There's no rush..." Keine says quietly, shaking her head. The she regards you. "That pendant you're looking for, Byakuren. Would that be young Chen's?"

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »
>"Yes, it would."

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 03:14:31 AM »
>"Yes, it would."

>"Does my heart good to see my students helping each other." She gestures to the store around you. "I'm also guessing you haven't been here before?"

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 03:23:37 AM »
>"That's right."

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:09 AM »
>"That's right."

>"I've been acquainted with Morichika-san for some time. If you're looking for one thing in particular, you might be better served searching the place yourself. Not everything in here ends up in his books." She chuckles quietly.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:00 AM »
>"I see. Is there any specific spot such items would be placed, or will I need to go through the entire store?"

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
>"I see. Is there any specific spot such items would be placed, or will I need to go through the entire store?"

>"In my experience, that depends on how a given item gets into the store, or who brings it in." She steps closer, taking a look at the glass jewelery case on the wall behind the counter. "Since it's not in there..." She spares a glance upward at the model eagle hanging overhead, and shrugs slightly. "I've no more idea than you, sorry."
>The white-and-pink shopkeeper emerges then, carrying a small brown paper bag. Keine regards it, and him, evenly. "I trust that candy-cloud of yours stayed out of it?"
>"But of course, madam." Rinnosuke assures her. "I take great care of my customers' special orders. I presume you'll be putting this on your tab?"
>"No, I'll wait till Mokou gets here, then we can settle up. Besides," she adds, dropping a hand on your shoulder. "In the event Byakuren here has to explore your shop, I'll give her a hand."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
>"Well, let's go have a look around while Rinnosuke does his searching."

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
>"Well, let's go have a look around while Rinnosuke does his searching."

>You and Keine set about searching Kourin-dou for any sign of Chen's missing pendant, while Rinnosuke goes behind his counter again, setting Keine's bag down on the counter, and resuming his search for his ledger. Your search reveals:

>1 kimono, white with purple and blue trim, lily pattern, red and white obi. Would fit you. Probably look good on you, too
>1 set of miko-styled clothes, red and white, with the skirt a fair bit shorter than the norm. Detached sleeves.
>2 sets of wooden sandals, one of which would fit you
>1 boot, brown, size 10
>Jacinth tiger, front paws damaged
>5 bookshelves along the right wall, three crammed with books, one with old VHS, 8-tracks, vinyl albums and a handful of DVDs, one with nothing but manga
>3 magazine racks, full of various magazines and comic books spanning many genres.
>Display table on top of a display table
>Tea set
>Manicure kit
>Bolar hat
>Three bicycles suspended from the ceiling, all in good repair.
>Bamboo Blowgun

>Keine's search evidently has not met with success, and you hear her muttering now and then, sounding irritated. This is actually a bit unusual for her. She isn't the 'muttering' type, in your experience.
>After about 12 minutes, between the legs of a large red dragon model, you find a heart-shaped pendant. Unfortunately, after a moment, you realize that this one is silver, instead of gold. Close, but no cigar.
>"Ah hah!" you hear Rinnosuke exult before you resume your search, as he produces a leather-bound book. "It was in the freezer!" As you ponder the weirdness of that statement, and while Keine mutters that sounds to your ear like, "'bout time..." Rinnosuke opens his book and begins to flip though the pages. "Now, that pendant you were looking for was.... gold?"

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 01:16:45 AM »
>That's right."
>Hold up the silver pendant.
>"It looks much like this one, only gold instead of silver."