Author Topic: Nue Quest 10 - The Lost Levels: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 43673 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Nue Quest 10 - The Lost Levels: A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:26:51 AM »

>You are Nue Houjuu,  Gensokyo's premier shapeshifter! Yours is a long and storied past, ranging from hassling the Mikado's palace in the old days to being sealed underground to making your way among migrant oni and more. But by and large, you've gotten by. These days, you live in the Ancient City, and run a successful tavern, as well as a couple of side businesses. As well, you have taken to hanging with a group of surprisingly open-minded Buddhists.
>And you were robbed. So was practically everyone else. By Rinnosuke Morichika, of all people, but you've handled that.
>You are an independent-minded person and prone to mischief. You are a confident and flirtatious, seldom at a loss of words or caught off guard. In the old days you had no problem terrorizing those in the highest seats of power, but these days you have calmed down somewhat. Even if you no longer aspire to your old heights of harassing Emperors, you still love to stir up trouble every now and again. Despite this, you find yourself surprisingly responsible these days, between running legitimate businesses and helping out your surface world friends. Some days, you wonder if you're losing your edge. Partially you blame Byakuren's influence; she has a way of making want to behave, at least a little bit. As well, having lived among the rigorously honest oni; quick to answer injury with violence; has done much to quietly shape you toward being a more socially-minded soul. Particularly after the end result of your first attempts to run scams and thieve your way through as you used to...
>These days you consider the oni as good friends, even if they're a bit more gruff than you'd like sometimes. Your tavern serves as a well-known peaceful spot, where people in the Ancient City can go to relax and not worry about the brawls and such, though sometimes they do happen right outside your doorstep. You are acquainted with one of the Four Devas that lead the oni, a woman calling herself Kay. She sometimes uses your tavern as a base of operations, though this has been happening less often lately. You have also found yourself tied to the people of the Myouren Temple, after they forgave you for your last big prank of interfering with their restoration of their leader. They've proven to be true friends, and have done what they can to assist you when you need it.
>A strange event orchestrated by Rinnosuke seems to have turned everyone's money into gemstones of roughly equivalent worth, reaching even into Hakugyokurou. You're not fully sure how he orchestrated it, but it seems to based upon an absolute faith in the power of commerce so strong that he can preform miracles. As well, he sent Tewi Inaba to steal your spellcards, which he plans to use as a component for exchanging all of the taken money to alter the nature of the universe. Chaos has started to break out in the Ancient City, while it is somewhat contained in the human town. The kappa are in a tizzy trying to figure it out, while the tengu town and Scarlet Devil Mansion have closed their borders, as have the Tengu. If things continue to degenerate, life could get very messy in Gensokyo. However, with Nazrin's help, you've made quite a tidy profit from this, assuming the problem ever gets fixed. 
>Having spoken with Patchouli's magic circle, you were able to make some progress in cutting away other possibilities behind this incident. You've managed to independently find that the gems seem to have letters written inside them, and with Patchouli's assistance have found the gems seem to have been created from books in some manner. You joined with Mystia, who wished revenge against whomever took her money, and have chased Tewi to the seldom-explored southern reaches of Gensokyo; finding her in a place where two humans named Rika and Rikako, as well as a ghost named Kana, seem to live. You've gotten some information from Tewi, but you weren't able to get her to divulge more than vague information, nor did you succeed in finding any holes in her story. She insinuated the culprit was somewhere around the Forest of Magic, while Unzan seems to have sensed something in that direction during the event. You've deduced that the culprit was Rinnosuke, and confronted him in his basement, surrounded by the stolen riches, only to be unable to affect him directly. You ended up getting yourself cursed trying to steal something from his horde, which has been staved off for the time being with Patchouli's magic. After some thought, you were able to weakened Rinnosuke by bringing him to the edge of hypothermia with Cirno's help, then burrowing under his defenses with a mole-like form, and the clocking him in the head. He is currently being kept at the Myouren Temple. You have come into the possession of a broken weapon of some power that seems to be akin to what Rinnosuke used, according to Patchouli, and you suspect it has been affecting your dreams; having followed these dreams, you've found yourself in another world. With some exploration and a trial by combat, you've discovered a way to restore a weapon belonging to a tyrant, one that seems to bear a power again to that which caused this whole incident. You've also managed to find your estranged friend Mamizou, whom has followed you back into Gensokyo. With the sword restored, you were able to completely overcome Rinnosuke. Unfortunately, this lead to the sword's spirit rejecting you, then trying to strike you done. After some panicked exchanges, you managed to return it to the sword and pass the sword over to Suwako, who has assured you that it would be dealt with. With that done, all that is left are little details.
>Presently, you are making final arrangements with Byakuren, which includes dropping off Mamizou with her for awhile.

> Turn to Byakuren.
> "Does that work? I figure it would be easiest for you two to get acquainted this way."

>"I certainly won't say no to extra help," says Byakuren.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Nue Quest 10 - The Lost Levels: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:32:45 AM »
> "Great.
> Turn to Mamizou with a faux angry face while waggling a finger.
> "And no charging her for your help. You are to be on your best behavior while you're here, you hear me?"
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:34:19 AM »
> "Great.
> Turn to Mamizou with a faux angry face while waggling a finger.
> "And no charging her for your help. You are to be on your best behavior whileyou're here."

>"I'll consider deferring the charges at a reasonably rate," says Mamizou, crossing her arms.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:33 AM »
> Turn back to Byakuren with a small smirk.
> "I hope you're prepared to deal with a second me."

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 03:42:13 AM »
> Turn back to Byakuren with a small smirk.
> "I hope you're prepared to deal with a second me."

>"I assure you," says Mamizou, "I have no intention or physical ability to stoop to such levels."
>"I think I'll live," says Byakuren, stifling a chuckle.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43:56 AM »
> "All right. Have fun, you two. It's time for me to fulfill my end of the Tenshi bargain."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
> "All right. Have fun, you two. It's time for me to fulfill my end of the Tenshi bargain."

>"Good luck," says Byakuren.
>"We'll keep things under control here, I'm certain," Mamizou says.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:11 AM »
> "So am I. I know of no two people more capable."
> Retrieve and rewear our shoes, retrieve anything else we left lying around (maybe the umbrella?), exit the Temple, and head back to the Tavern.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 03:54:23 AM »
> "So am I. I know of no two people more capable."
> Retrieve and rewear our shoes, retrieve anything else we left lying around (maybe the umbrella?), exit the Temple, and head back to the Tavern.

>You say your goodbyes, put your shoes back on, and head out into the rain once more with umbrella in hand.
>Making your way back to the tavern with ease, you find that it has become rather crowded with hardly an empty table left. The talking and laughing have all blended together into an indeterminate mishmash. Mokou doesn't seem to be able to stay still for a second. Another of the celestials seems to have rejoined Tenshi's band, you are still gathered at the same table.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »
> Is Yuli still there?
> Make our way over to Tenshi. WAve if anyone in her group, including her, looks our way.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »
> Is Yuli still there?
> Make our way over to Tenshi. WAve if anyone in her group, including her, looks our way.

>She is still there, currently picking at what seems to be a bowl of miso soup.
>You make your way to Tenshi's table. You wave as a couple of them notice you. "So," say Tenshi, "Ready to head out?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »
>"If you are, yeah."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 04:40:12 AM »
>"If you are, yeah."

>Tenshi nods and stands up. Her students start to, as well, until she says, "No, you all stay here. I have things to do. Probably come back for you later on."
>They settle, and Tenshi walks out from around the table and joins you.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 04:46:36 AM »
> "Okay, let's head out."
> Exit the tavern.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:37 AM »
> "Okay, let's head out."
> Exit the tavern.

>The two of you head outside. Tenshi lacks an umbrella, but seems to be content to let the brim of her hat keep the rain off of her face.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
> Oh shoot, did we ever recover the non-Mamizou tiger umbrella from Mystia?
> Take flight and head toward Alice's house.
> Along the way, turn to Tenshi.
> "So have you decided who you want the doll to be?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:37 AM »
> Oh shoot, did we ever recover the non-Mamizou tiger umbrella from Mystia?
> Take flight and head toward Alice's house.
> Along the way, turn to Tenshi.
> "So have you decided who you want the doll to be?"

>You did not.
>You take flight and head toward Alice's house, and query Tenshi about the doll.
>"Not yet," she says. "I'm thinking about it. And I'll have to see what Alice can whip up."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »
> "All right. Would you prefer I leave after dropping you off and explaining the situation to her, so you can decide without anyone around? I know you wanted to talk about this as little as possible."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17:57 AM »
> "All right. Would you prefer I leave after dropping you off and explaining the situation to her, so you can decide without anyone around? I know you wanted to talk about this as little as possible."

>"Oh sure, that's fine," says Tenshi. "Might even be better that way, yeah."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20:25 AM »
> "All right, can do. I can head to the mountain myself. Though I regret not taking you with me there, too, since I wanted to see what you could do against the giant ox."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 05:24:02 AM »
> "All right, can do. I can head to the mountain myself. Though I regret not taking you with me there, too, since I wanted to see what you could do against the giant ox."

>"Yeah, I thought about that," says Tenshi, "And I figure you guys need to solve your own problems. It's no good if we hold your hand all the time."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
> "That's a rather understandable assessment. You know I live underground, though, so you'll probably have to remind me of the previous times the surface world needed Bhava-Agra to save it for me to really get it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:04 AM »
> "That's a rather understandable assessment. You know I live underground, though, so you'll probably have to remind me of the previous times the surface world needed Bhava-Agra to save it for me to really get it."

>"Well there was the whole thing when one of you guys went around stealing shadows, and nearly had Bhava-Agra fall on you," says Tenshi. "That was pretty big."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »
> "Sounds like more of a problem for you than for us, to be honest. Bhava-Agra didn't almost fall on me, after all."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:06 AM »
> "Sounds like more of a problem for you than for us, to be honest. Bhava-Agra didn't almost fall on me, after all."

>"That's what I though you'd say," says Tenshi, smirking. "Well, that just means we did a good job since you didn't even get to see why it would be a problem in the first place. But yeah, we can't fix everything for you."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »
> Nod.
> "I guess that would explain why you left the human village once it showed up."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »
> Nod.
> "I guess that would explain why you left the human village once it showed up."

>"No, I was getting Iku just in case she was needed," says Tenshi. "I was looking out just in case things got worse!"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:11 AM »
> Put on a confused look.
> "But why would we have needed Iku when we already had you? Especially when I knew the whole time that I could jam it back in the sword on my own, or with Byakuren's help at most.."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
> Put on a confused look.
> "But why would we have needed Iku when we already had you? Especially when I knew the whole time that I could jam it back in the sword on my own, or with Byakuren's help at most.."

>'It's a just in case thing, you know!" says Tenshi, giving you a look.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
> Chuckle a bit.
> "You should have more faith in me, Tenshi."