Author Topic: Nue Quest 9 - Ascension: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 44758 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Nue Quest 9 - Ascension: A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »

>You are Nue Houjuu,  Gensokyo's premier shapeshifter! Yours is a long and storied past, ranging from hassling the Mikado's palace in the old days to being sealed underground to making your way among migrant oni and more. But by and large, you've gotten by. These days, you live in the Ancient City, and run a successful tavern, as well as a couple of side businesses. As well, you have taken to hanging with a group of surprisingly open-minded Buddhists.
>And you've been robbed. And so have practically everyone else. By Rinnosuke Morichika, of all people.
>You are an independent-minded person and prone to mischief. You are a confident and flirtatious, seldom at a loss of words or caught off guard. In the old days you had no problem terrorizing those in the highest seats of power, but these days you have calmed down somewhat. Even if you no longer aspire to your old heights of harassing Emperors, you still love to stir up trouble every now and again. Despite this, you find yourself surprisingly responsible these days, between running legitimate businesses and helping out your surface world friends. Some days, you wonder if you're losing your edge. Partially you blame Byakuren's influence; she has a way of making want to behave, at least a little bit. As well, having lived among the rigorously honest oni; quick to answer injury with violence; has done much to quietly shape you toward being a more socially-minded soul. Particularly after the end result of your first attempts to run scams and thieve your way through as you used to...
>These days you consider the oni as good friends, even if they're a bit more gruff than you'd like sometimes. Your tavern serves as a well-known peaceful spot, where people in the Ancient City can go to relax and not worry about the brawls and such, though sometimes they do happen right outside your doorstep. You are acquainted with one of the Four Devas that lead the oni, a woman calling herself Kay. She sometimes uses your tavern as a base of operations, though this has been happening less often lately. You have also found yourself tied to the people of the Myouren Temple, after they forgave you for your last big prank of interfering with their restoration of their leader. They've proven to be true friends, and have done what they can to assist you when you need it.
>A strange event orchestrated by Rinnosuke seems to have turned everyone's money into gemstones of roughly equivalent worth, reaching even into Hakugyokurou. You're not fully sure how he orchestrated it, but it seems to based upon an absolute faith in the power of commerce so strong that he can preform miracles. As well, he sent Tewi Inaba to steal your spellcards, which he plans to use as a component for exchanging all of the taken money to alter the nature of the universe. Chaos has started to break out in the Ancient City, while it is somewhat contained in the human town. The kappa are in a tizzy trying to figure it out, while the tengu town and Scarlet Devil Mansion have closed their borders, as have the Tengu. If things continue to degenerate, life could get very messy in Gensokyo. However, with Nazrin's help, you've made quite a tidy profit from this, assuming the problem ever gets fixed. 
>Having spoken with Patchouli's magic circle, you were able to make some progress in cutting away other possibilities behind this incident. You've managed to independently find that the gems seem to have letters written inside them, and with Patchouli's assistance have found the gems seem to have been created from books in some manner. You joined with Mystia, who wished revenge against whomever took her money, and have chased Tewi to the seldom-explored southern reaches of Gensokyo; finding her in a place where two humans named Rika and Rikako, as well as a ghost named Kana, seem to live. You've gotten some information from Tewi, but you weren't able to get her to divulge more than vague information, nor did you succeed in finding any holes in her story. She insinuated the culprit was somewhere around the Forest of Magic, while Unzan seems to have sensed something in that direction during the event. You've deduced that the culprit was Rinnosuke, and confronted him in his basement, surrounded by the stolen riches, only to be unable to affect him directly. You ended up getting yourself cursed trying to steal something from his horde, which has been staved off for the time being with Patchouli's magic. After some thought, you were able to weakened Rinnosuke by bringing him to the edge of hypothermia with Cirno's help, then burrowing under his defenses with a mole-like form, and the clocking him in the head. He is currently being kept at the Myouren Temple. You have come into the possession of a broken weapon of some power that seems to be akin to what Rinnosuke used, according to Patchouli, and you suspect it has been affecting your dreams; having followed these dreams, you've found yourself in another world. With some exploration and a trial by combat, you've discovered a way to restore a weapon belonging to a tyrant, one that seems to bear a power again to that which caused this whole incident. You've also managed to find your estranged friend Mamizou, whom has followed you back into Gensokyo. With the sword restored, you have confronted Rinnosuke, dragging him away from the town.
>You currently have the merchant on the ground, trying to bend him to your will. He is resisting, but you feel that you will win out.

> Take a step or two toward his head, but parallel to how his body is laid on the ground.
> Keep the sword trained on him face. The point should be even closer to his face now.
> Raise voice some more.
> "What are you waiting for?! DO IT!"
> Cease your resisting! You will yield to us!

>You close in on him, raising your voice to a low shout. The tip of the sword is but an inch from his face now.
>"I-" he says, gasping for air, "I...will take...."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Nue Quest 9 - Ascension: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:44:11 AM »
> Entity! I believe he is planning something new. I know not if he knows of your presence, but be on guard all the same.
> Raise voice to a proper shout, then!
> "YOU WILL OBEY ME!"
> He is going to try to take something of ours! Steel our mind and our will! He will not have anything of ours! He is nothing compared to us! He does not deserve to breathe the same air that we do! We are superior! We will cut down anything he throws at us!
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 02:12:57 AM »
> Entity! I believe he is planning something new. I know not if he knows of your presence, but be on guard all the same.
> Raise voice to a proper shout, then!
> "YOU WILL OBEY ME!"
> He is going to try to take something of ours! Steel our mind and our will! He will not have anything of ours! He is nothing compared to us! He does not deserve to breathe the same air that we do! We are superior! We will cut down anything he throws at us!

>The entity seems unconcerned.
>You shout at him, and you steal yourself for an oncoming attack.
>"I...will...buy and...sell...everything you hold dear!" he says, practically gasping the last part. "You will have nothing!"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:19:29 AM »
> "Hah! Do not fool yourself into thinking you can influence me! I have felt your grip on me, and I have knocked it aside! I have seen the terror in your eyes! You are finished, merchant! You pathetic, hypocritical ideals can never hope to approach me! Try to take hold of me again and I will knock you aside so easily again! You will recognize and admit that I am everything and you are nothing!"

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 02:41:43 AM »
> "Hah! Do not fool yourself into thinking you can influence me! I have felt your grip on me, and I have knocked it aside! I have seen the terror in your eyes! You are finished, merchant! You pathetic, hypocritical ideals can never hope to approach me! Try to take hold of me again and I will knock you aside so easily again! You will recognize and admit that I am everything and you are nothing!"

>"So you say," he says between gasps. You can feel him trying to rally himself. "You'll be left homeless. Without friends or companions. I'll obtain every last thing you value. I'll scatter them to the winds."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 02:55:40 AM »
> Beat him back down! Will him back down! He says such insolent things! He dares threaten us! He and his hypocritical ideals are weak! He is weak! He has shown fear! It is demonstrably there, and his bravado is false! We have beaten him back before, and we will do it again! He will pay for his arrogance! Make him pay for his threats against us and our allies!
> Stomp on his stomach once, then bring our foot back to where it was before said stomp.
> "You dare threaten me, you worm? You are in no position to threaten me! You have nowhere near the power to threaten me! Anything you try will fail, because you are nothing compared to me! I hold your very life in my hands! You will surrender to me!"
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:57:37 AM by Kilgamayan »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 03:19:02 AM »
> Beat him back down! Will him back down! He says such insolent things! He dares threaten us! He and his hypocritical ideals are weak! He is weak! He has shown fear! It is demonstrably there, and his bravado is false! We have beaten him back before, and we will do it again! He will pay for his arrogance! Make him pay for his threats against us and our allies!
> Stomp on his stomach once, then bring our foot back to where it was before said stomp.
> "You dare threaten me, you worm? You are in no position to threaten me! You have nowhere near the power to threaten me! Anything you try will fail, because you are nothing compared to me! I hold your very life in my hands! You will surrender to me!"

>You reject his bravado, and bring your foot down on his stomach. He groans weakly.
>"I...promise you."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »
> Entity! Assist me in breaking this insolent's will!
> Stomp on his stomach again, returning our foot to its proper place as before.
> Focus our will through the sword again. His will must be broken! Recall all this man has done to offend us! He had our property stolen and claimed it as his! He arrogantly tried to hide his theft behind semantics! He used our property to commit mass theft and throw Gensokyo into chaos! He mocked us and relished in our pain! He tried to force his mind upon ours multiple times! And now he conceitedly threatens ourselves and our allies once again! He must pay for ALL of his crimes! No amount of pain we could inflict on him will ever be enough for him to repay his debt to us! He must bow to us! He must surrender to us! He must pay!
> "You talk of taking?! You owe me everything of yours and them some! All your crimes against me have accumulated a debt so great you could not even begin hope to pay it with your life! Your life is mine! You WILL submit to me!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:22:03 AM »
> Entity! Assist me in breaking this insolent's will!
> Stomp on his stomach again, returning our foot to its proper place as before.
> Focus our will through the sword again. His will must be broken! Recall all this man has done to offend us! He had our property stolen and claimed it as his! He arrogantly tried to hide his theft behind semantics! He used our property to commit mass theft and throw Gensokyo into chaos! He mocked us and relished in our pain! He tried to force his mind upon ours multiple times! And now he conceitedly threatens ourselves and our allies once again! He must pay for ALL of his crimes! No amount of pain we could inflict on him will ever be enough for him to repay his debt to us! He must bow to us! He must surrender to us! He must pay!
> "You talk of taking?! You owe me everything of yours and them some! All your crimes against me have accumulated a debt so great you could not even begin hope to pay it with your life! Your life is mine! You WILL submit to me!"

>The entity is unconcerned.
>You stomp him again, and continue to focus you will while shouting at him. You barely pay his response any attention, as he strains to speak. You can feel it in your bones, a delicate crystaline shattering, as his will seems to give. He slackens, falling back on the ground. His eyes are unfocused, staring toward the sky.
>Strike him down.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 04:40:16 AM »
> Not yet. More important is a proper demonstration on his part that his will and faith have been broken.
> ...Come to think of it, have we ever actually killed anyone?

> Through the sword, will him and his shattered sense of being to obey us. That he resisted our superiority for so long is an insult to our greatness.
> Lower our voice down from that shout. Give a normal but properly commanding tone.
> "You will obey me. You will surrender to me. You will tell me, out loud, that you have submitted to me. You will tell me this right now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 04:53:09 AM »
> Not yet. More important is a proper demonstration on his part that his will and faith have been broken.
> ...Come to think of it, have we ever actually killed anyone?

> Through the sword, will him and his shattered sense of being to obey us. That he resisted our superiority for so long is an insult to our greatness.
> Lower our voice down from that shout. Give a normal but properly commanding tone.
> "You will obey me. You will surrender to me. You will tell me, out loud, that you have submitted to me. You will tell me this right now."

>You defer striking him down.
>You've never intentionally killed anyone; most of the people you've gotten into scuffles with were imperial authorities and other youkai. You've certainly wounded some of the latter, and while you didn't finish any off; usually you were too busy trying to escape; it's very plausible that some of them died from the wounds.
>You lower your voice and demand he surrender. Rinnosuke doesn't respond, nor does he seem to acknowledge hearing you.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 04:55:53 AM »
> Poke him with our foot a couple of times.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
> Poke him with our foot a couple of times.

>You poke him. He doesn't react in any noticeable way.
>Strike him down. Make him an example.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 05:13:51 AM »
> An example? By killing an unarmed man with a broken mind and spirit? What example is to be made by this that was not already made by shattering his mind in the first place?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 05:38:58 AM »
> An example? By killing an unarmed man with a broken mind and spirit? What example is to be made by this that was not already made by shattering his mind in the first place?

>Make an example of this person, let none hold false hopes.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »
> How will killing him here make such an example, when there were no witnesses to his humiliation? Should we kill him here, people will only see that a well-armed and powerful youkai killed a man that, as far as they know, was unarmed. Any brainless thug equipped with a sword can kill an unarmed man. People would need to see the mindbreak for any effective example to be set.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »
> How will killing him here make such an example, when there were no witnesses to his humiliation? Should we kill him here, people will only see that a well-armed and powerful youkai killed a man that, as far as they know, was unarmed. Any brainless thug equipped with a sword can kill an unarmed man. People would need to see the mindbreak for any effective example to be set.

>Others will learn what happens when they are insolent. Strike him down.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
> They will learn far more valuable a lesson if they see this man with his mind broken than just as a corpse.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
> They will learn far more valuable a lesson if they see this man with his mind broken than just as a corpse.

>Take everything from him. Strike him down.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
> Would the Myouren approve of this? Killing a broken and defenseless man? There is no way any of them would agree to such an act, no matter how heinous the man's crimes. And our association with them would do tremendous damage to their name. Belief in them would drop like a stone should one of theirs perform such an act contrary to their teachings.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
> Would the Myouren approve of this? Killing a broken and defenseless man? There is no way any of them would agree to such an act, no matter how heinous the man's crimes. And our association with them would do tremendous damage to their name. Belief in them would drop like a stone should one of theirs perform such an act contrary to their teachings.

>You remind yourself of the people you associate with, whether or not they would approve. You can feel a growing displeasure emanating from the air around you.

>_
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:48:04 PM by Bucket Purvis »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
> Forget the air. Displeasure? What would Mamizou think of this? We haven't seen each other in forever and we only finally got each other back now! What would she think if she saw her best friend for the first time in ages and they has turned into someone that kills the defenseless?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
> Forget the air. Displeasure? What would Mamizou think of this? We haven't seen each other in forever and we only finally got each other back now! What would she think if she saw her best friend for the first time in ages and they has turned into someone that kills the defenseless?

>She would come to understand with time, and accept it as necessary and proper. She would understand it is the first step toward spreading the sutras throughout Gensokyo. Strike him down.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
> Then let's consider Byakuren instead. She has worked so hard over the years to bring about happiness through peace, happiness that both humans and youkai could share. Even when persecuted for it, she kept on going. Killing this defenseless man while associated with her could ruin her life's work! After all she has done for us, we would be spitting in the face of her ideals. Spitting in the face of all the blood, sweat, and tears she has used to build what she now has!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
> Then let's consider Byakuren instead. She has worked so hard over the years to bring about happiness through peace, happiness that both humans and youkai could share. Even when persecuted for it, she kept on going. Killing this defenseless man while associated with her could ruin her life's work! After all she has done for us, we would be spitting in the face of her ideals. Spitting in the face of all the blood, sweat, and tears she has used to build what she now has!

>And you will succeed beyond what she could dream. Make an example of him.
>You are finding it more difficult to ignore the displeasure emanating from the air around you.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
> What is it, air? Is there a problem? Do you have a problem with the fact that Byakuren would never consider murder of the defenseless any sort of success?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
> What is it, air? Is there a problem? Do you have a problem with the fact that Byakuren would never consider murder of the defenseless any sort of success?

>You feel that the air, or rather the entity in it, is growing less and less content with your reasoning.

>_

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »
>Then you and I are different. Byakuren and Mamizou and the others may be beneath me, but they are still my friends, and I still value their opinions. I do not want to drive them away, and killing a defenseless man, no matter what his crimes, would do just that.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
Just an FYI: We need to start moving away from the inherent superiority attitude if we really want to separate ourselves from this thing.

> That's a shame, because I reason based on facts and logic. Even ignoring that no one would fully comprehend the nature of my victory over the broken merchant here if I just killed him and showed off his corpse, Byakuren would never approve of it. Byakuren has given more of a damn about me than just about anyone else I've ever met, and even she would be displeased with killing a defenseless man. Especially after all she's done for me; providing me resources and helpful allies for my journey, getting me into the Magic Circle for access to their information, taking me to Patchouli for a countercurse while I was in incomprehensible pain, and basically giving her all to helping me whenever I needed her. She would be forever upset if I killed this man in his current state!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
>Then you and I are different. Byakuren and Mamizou and the others may be beneath me, but they are still my friends, and I still value their opinions. I do not want to drive them away, and killing a defenseless man, no matter what his crimes, would do just that.

> That's a shame, because I reason based on facts and logic. Even ignoring that no one would fully comprehend the nature of my victory over the broken merchant here if I just killed him and showed off his corpse, Byakuren would never approve of it. Byakuren has given more of a damn about me than just about anyone else I've ever met, and even she would be displeased with killing a defenseless man. Especially after all she's done for me; providing me resources and helpful allies for my journey, getting me into the Magic Circle for access to their information, taking me to Patchouli for a countercurse while I was in incomprehensible pain, and basically giving her all to helping me whenever I needed her. She would be forever upset if I killed this man in his current state!

>You will earn vindication with your success. Dispatch him at once.

>_