Author Topic: [NaNoWriMo] Exiled Princess  (Read 3575 times)

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
[NaNoWriMo] Exiled Princess
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:39:12 AM »
A touhou fanfic i'm doing for National Novel Writing Month. No idea how well this will go, but here we go. Review please, and give some suggestions!

Prologue – Hourai Elixr

The Hourai Elixr.
Take it once, and one cannot become an adult
Take it twice, and even the pain of sickness will be gone
Take it three times, and death will lose its grasp on you.
Immortality, a blessing or curse?

Chapter 1 – The Bamboo Cutter

The bamboo forest was filled with the sound of chopping. Chop. Chop. Chop. The bamboo cutter hacked at the bamboo stalk with his axe. He wiped a bead of sweat off of his forehead, and looked at the night sky. The full moon was visible, and glowing brightly, with all the stars in the sky. The bamboo cutter looked at his pile of bamboo stalks. He decided that he had enough to pay for tomorrow’s food, and he began to walk back to his home, dragging the bamboo behind him.

He approached his small and battered house, and slid open the door. He put the day’s haul onto the floor, and collapsed onto his futon. He was starting to get more tired and frail as the weeks, months, and year passed on. Every day, he would sell his bamboo for food, and then go and cut down more bamboo to survive. He looked out his window, and stared at the night sky, and noticed something unusual. There was something glimmering, not the stars nor the moon, but it seemed to be something in the air. He took a good look at the glimmering light, and decided that he needed to rest. He lied down onto the futon, and closed his eyes, and then everything faded to black.

The bamboo cutter was awoken by the sound of a thud, and then the sound of someone groaning. He walked outside to find a young girl, maybe 15 or 16 years old on the ground. It appeared that she had fallen, but there was nothing to fall from. She was wearing an outer-garment that was glowing brightly. She can’t be from the village, the Bamboo Cutter thought to himself. The girl got up from the floor, and looked at him suspiciously. “What are you doing here?” the bamboo cutter demanded.

“Where am I…is this Earth?” The girl was confused. The bamboo cutter laughed at her question.

“What kind of question is that? Of course you are on Earth,” the man chuckled. Clearly, the girl must have hit her head on something.

“I see,” the girl muttered. The girl continued to stare at the bamboo cutter. The silence continued on for a while. The bamboo cutter began to feel a bit uncomfortable. Finally the girl broke the silence. “Could you give me shelter for the night? I'm lost.” The bamboo cutter was about to rebuke her for being rude to ask for his hospitality, but then he stopped. He had grown very lonely living by himself for so long, and he realized that he could have someone to help him.

“Alright,” he sighed. “Come this way... uh...” the bamboo cutter paused for a second. “May I know what your name is?”

“Kaguya,” she replied. The man smiled. Sparkling night, a beautiful name he thought.

“I am Okina, please come this way Kaguya.” He lead her inside his home, and let her lie down on his futon. Okina laid down on the floor, and made a mental note to go buy another futon with some spare money. He took a look at the bright stars in the sky. Such a beautiful sparkling night. He took a look at Kaguya, who was already asleep. Then, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Okina was awoken by Kaguya, who was shaking him. He groaned, and then pushed himself up from the wooden floor. He looked out the window to find it very bright outside. He had overslept, and he needed to get some food. He told Kaguya to stay inside his house, and he took the bamboo he had cut and headed towards the village.

It was around noon when Okina reached the village's marketplace. The atmosphere was very fast and busy, and Okina went over to one of his best customers, Katsuo, a craftsman who made furniture.

“Hello Katsuo,” Okina greeted him.
   “Ah, Okina!” Katsuo exclaimed. “Just on time. I need some bamboo for my next project. I'll give you...” Katsuo rummaged around his his stand, but couldn't find any food. Katsuo quickly ran over to one of the food stands, offered the owner a new chair, and got in return some food. Katsuo came over with some fruit, eggs, rice, and a chunk of meat.

“You know me too well Katsuo,” Okina smiled. He gave Katsuo the load of bamboo, and took the food. He then proceeded to head back to his home.

By the time Okina had reached his house, Kaguya was beginning to get somewhat irritated. When Okina saw her, he felt guilty. “Sorry, Kaguya. I normally would wake up earlier, but I guess I worked myself too hard last night...” he gave her some food, and they both ate in silence. When Kaguya finished eating, she got up.

“I am sorry for bothering you Okina. I suppose I will be on my way now.” She started to get her things and prepared to leave.

“No, wait!” Okina cried. If she left him, he would be all alone again, and there probably would never be someone to keep him company again.

“Then again, I can't go home anymore.” Kaguya shrugged. She sat back down, and Okina breathed a sigh of relief.

“Where did you use to live?” he asked her curiously.

“I can't tell you that,” she replied coldly. “It doesn't matter, I can't go back now.”    She stared at the sky for a while, and she closed her eyes. She thought about her past, and realized there was no use going back. It was time to start her new life. She opened here eyes and looked back at Okina. “Thank you for taking care of me Okina,” she smiled. At those words, Okina felt a bit of happiness inside his heart. Somebody had actually bothered to thank him. He vowed in his heart that he would take care of Kaguya who couldn't go back to her home, until he died.

“You're welcome.”
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:42:39 AM by gammaraptor »

gammaraptor

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Exiled Princess
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
Sorry for the delay, I've had this chapter done for a while, but I wanted to make some edits... Here we go!

As the days passed by, word began to spread about Okina?s adopted daughter, and soon she became known to many of the villagers. As Kaguya passed by one of the villagers, he whispered to his merchant friend. ?You see that young lady??

?Her? Oh wow.? The merchant rubbed his eyes. It was love at first sight.?Who is she? She?s beautiful.?.

?Okina?s adopted daughter,? the villager responded. The merchant stared blankly.

?Who??

?You know? the woodcutter? The one that sells bamboo??

?Oh? I see.? The merchant, was deep into thought. ?I think I will ask for her hand in marriage.? The villager laughed at him.

?Already? It?s been only a minute, and you?ve already made up your mind??

?Yes,? the merchant smiled. ?I have made up my mind. Do you know where she lives? I will go ask Okina.?

?He lives outside the village. I can show you later if you like??

?Yes, please guide me.? The merchant thanked the villager, and began to make preparations.

Knock knock. The merchant stood at the entrance of Okina?s home. Okina opened the door.

?Can I help you?? Okina asked.

?You are Okina, correct??

?Yes, and who would you be??

?I am Kuramochi no Miko, and I would like to ask for your daughter?s hand in marriage.? Okina looked shocked for a few seconds. Then he laughed, until he sensed that Miko was actually serious, and his tone darkened.

?I see,? he muttered. ?I?ll have to wait for Kaguya to return before I can give you any response. Could you come back in an hour??

?Yes, of course,? Miko replied. He bowed to Okina, and then walked out the door. Okina sighed, and then sat back down on his chair.

Kaguya came back to the house half an hour later. She entered, and noticed Okina with his face in his palm. ?Did something happen?? she asked.

?Kaguya, a merchant by the name of Miko asked for your hand in marriage. Do you know who he is?? Kaguya was taken aback by the statement.

?No, I have no idea of who he is,? she frowned. ?Are you going to make me marry him??

?Of course not,? he responded quickly. ?I?m not really your father, so it?s more of your choice really.? Kaguya thought about this for a second, and then a thought struck her mind, and a smile came to her face.

?I know what to do.? She went over to Okina and whispered in his ear.

?Are you sure you want to do this?? He asked.

?Of course,? she replied. ?You said it was my choice after all.?

?Very well.? Okina was not pleased, but he did not want to displease Kaguya.

Miko came back an hour he had left, just as he said. He knocked on the door again, and Okina opened the door.

?I am back,? Miko stated.

?I see,? Okina muttered. ?After discussing with Kaguya, I have decided to accept your proposal.? Miko?s mood was brightened instantly.

?Really? That?s great!?

?Not so fast,? Okina stopped him.

?Oh right, the dowry..? Miko came back to his senses.

?Yes, I will let Kaguya explain it to you. Kaguya?? Okina and Miko both turned around to face her.

?Here is the dowry. First, you must give my father 200 coins,? She stated.

?All right.? Miko was already prepared to pay around 1000 coins, so he gave Okina the money.

?And then, you must fulfill my Five Impossible Requests.? Miko looked shocked, along with Okina.

?You never told me about-? Okina protested.

?Five Impossible Requests? And what may they be?? Miko was curious.

?No, this is what I want. First, you must retrieve Buddha?s begging bowl from India. Then, you must retrieve a jeweled branch from the island of Mount Hourai. Next, you must seek the robe of the fire-rat of China. Fourth, you must retrieve a jewel from a dragon?s neck. Finally, you must find the legendary cowry treasure of the swallows.? By the time Kaguya had finished, Miko realized how truly impossible these tasks were.

?Impossible? These tasks are suicidal!? Miko complained.

?If you truly love me, then you will do these tasks,? she responded. Humiliated, Miko left the house without another word. Okina looked at Kaguya. He wasn?t happy with how Kaguya had resolved the issue, but he now had 200 coins, enough to make a lot of needed repairs to the house, and keep them going for a while.

As word of Kaguya?s beauty spread across the land, more people kept coming to ask for Kaguya?s hand in marriage. Merchants, nobles, princes, all tried, but failed. Some were warded off by her Five Impossible Requests, some attempted the request, but died during the adventure. Some tried to cheat her by using fake items, but she saw through their deceit, and turned them away. Even as the years went on, she still retained her youth and her unearthly beauty. Okina began to grow old, but the money he collected over the years was enough to build a new house, and support him with a comfortable living for the rest of his life. As the suitors came in and out, Kaguya began to build a relationship with her foster parent. She talked with him, and kept him company. Despite hating the suitors that constantly pestered her and chased after her, she began to love the world around her. She helped out many of the villagers with their daily lives. But time began to run out for her...

gammaraptor

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
Hey, next chapter ^^. I am pretty far behind for NaNoWriMo, but what the heck. It's fun =D. oh well, here goes.

?Oh Katsuo! What brings you here?? asked Okina   

?Okina! This is urgent.? Katsuo was gasping for breath. ?There are some strange people in the village. They say they are looking for someone by the name of Princess Kaguya.? At this, Okina frowned.

?Kaguya?? There was the sound of footsteps as Kaguya rushed over.

?Yes? What do you need??

?Katsuo says that some people are looking for you. They call you by the name Princess Kaguya.? Kaguya froze. They can't be here so soon, she though to herself.

?They probably called me that because of all the Princes that try to marry me,? she laughed forcedly. ?Why don't I go over to the village and check it out??

?Alright,? Okina sighed. ?Just don't get into any trouble, you here me??

?Of course Okina.? She hurried off and headed towards the village.

?Can you go do me a favor Katsuo?? Okina asked.

?Depends on what it is,? Katsuo replied.

?Go and make sure she doesn't do anything irrational, is that fine??

?That should be alright, I'm heading back to the village.? Katsuo took in a deep breath, and then breathed out. ?Well I'll be off then!? Katsuo waved goodbye to Okina, and then rushed towards the village after Kaguya. Okina hoped that Kaguya knew what she was doing, and then shut the door.

Even before she reached the village, Kaguya could hear the unrest of the villagers. When she arrived, they pointed at the direction of the strange people. When she reached the place where the strange people were, she knew exactly who they were, and what they were doing.

There were three people. One, was a tall man brandishing a sword and wearing a white cloak with the symbol of the full moon on the back of his cloak. The second person, was a woman with a very similar outfit, except she wielded throwing knives. The last one, was very different from the rest. She wore a red and black dress with the pattern of constellations all over it. She wore a hat with a hospital cross on it, and she was holding a bow and arrow. Kaguya realized what they were here for. They were here to take her back.

The tall man approached her, and lowered his weapon. ?Princess Kaguya, you time of exile on Earth is over. You have atoned for your sin, and we will now take you back to the moon.? Kaguya sighed. She had almost forgotten about her exile, and her previous life on the moon. She was once a lunar princess; one of the Lunarians, a race of people that lived on the moon. And now they were finally here to take her back. But what about her life on Earth? The people? Okina? Could she just return to her home on the moon and forget about it all?

?We must hurry, Princess. The impurity of these filthy humans is starting to smell really bad.? The woman with the throwing knives was not at ease.

?Oh really?? the woman with the bow and arrow laughed. ?I've been down here for thirty years, and have I died from it yet??

?Please refrain yourself from joking around with purity,? the man said sternly. ?We still have to discuss what to do with you both once we return to the moon.? Kaguya remembered about how she used to view humans. She too was not innocent of treating humans as filthy and impure beings. At one time, she despised humans for their impurity, and how they destroyed and killed each other in a disgusting manner. The Lunarians strived for purity, to the point where they were obsessed about it. But after living around them for so long, she saw more than just the hatred among themselves. She saw relationships that they built with each other and the love that was shared. And to have it all taken away from her...

?Alright,? Kaguya sighed. ?I need to get some things, and then we will be off.? At this point, she began to walk back to Okina's house. It was time to say goodbye.

Knock Knock. Okina opened the door, to find Kaguya there. ?So, how did it go?? Kaguya walked right past him, and into his house. ?Uh... Kaguya?? She stopped and turned around.

?Okina, do you remember when we first met?? Her voice was filled with sorrow.

?Yes, what about it?? Okina was confused about why she would bring up the past right now.

?I told you that I couldn't return home anymore. Well, now I can. And my people are here to take me back.?

?Kaguya, you aren't...? He paused, and then the truth sank in. ?No, you can't... wait!? After all this time, he had cared for her and loved her as his own child. And for her to leave him now...

?I'm sorry, I have to leave. My people are here to take me back, whether I like it or not. I've enjoyed living with you Okina, but my time has come.? She began to walk out the door as Okina pleaded with her to stay. ?Take this.? She handed him a sealed container. ?This is my thanks to you for taking care of me. If you take it, you will never age, never become sick, and never die.? She handed it to Okina, who held it with shaking hands.

?No! Please Kaguya, don't leave me...? It was no use.

?Goodbye Okina,? she whispered as a goodbye. And then she was gone. Okina collapsed onto the floor, as tears were streaming down his cheeks.

?Gone...? he whispered. He dragged himself to his futon, and laid down, as he remembered the day he had met her, and his life with her. He considered opening the container and taking the contents of the jar. To be immortal, and never die... He pushed the temptation out of his head. Without her, he was simply... nothing. Being immortal would not help his problem whatsoever. He closed his eyes, and he never woke up.

Kaguya walked along the path to the village, tears streaming down her cheeks. It wasn't easier for her either, but she knew she had to do it, unless she wanted the entire village destroyed by the ?purification? of the humans by the Lunarians. She was almost  halfway there when she was stopped by the woman with the red and black dress. ?Princess, I am sorry for what happened those years ago. I never got a chance to apologize...?

?It's all right Eirin, it has been a while after all.? Eirin gestured for her to sit down, and they both sat down on the grass.

?Do you still have the portions of the Hourai Elixir that I made for you?? Eirin asked. Kaguya thought for a moment.

?I gave them both away. One, I left with the man who had taken care with me. The other, I left it with the Emperor of this land,? she sighed. ?I suppose you want it back?? The legend of her beauty had even reached the emperor himself, who came to see her once. She gave him the Elixir as a gift, but refused to marry him.

?Hmm, that could be problematic... no, it should be fine. One or two immortal humans shouldn't be too much of a problem. I doubt either would take the elixir, definitely not the man who took care of you; it's the only memory of you he will have left. And neither the Emperor, he will only draw attention to his land. Being immortal isn't being free of pain.?

?It seems that your wisdom as the lunar sage hasn't worn off,? Kaguya smiled. Eirin was once known as the lunar sage for her genius-level intelligence, until her exile for creating the Hourai Elixir. The Hourai Elixir a forbidden drug that could make one immortal. She had made it for Kaguya, and as their consequence was to be exiled to the Earth. They both had a quick laugh, but then the thoughts of their situation sobered their spirits.

?I hope you know that I have no plans of going back to the moon,? Kaguya told Eirin.

?I expected that you would say that. Why return to someplace that strives for purity, when we have become tainted by impurity on this Earth? We would become outsiders if we returned. At the same time, we cannot remain here as the Lunar Emissaries will easily find us.?

?But where then can we go? If we cannot return to the moon nor stay here, then what other option do we have??

?The answer is simple. To hide ourselves where the lunar emissaries cannot find us.?

?But where to? I know the powers of the emissaries, and they will not be fooled easily.?

?You do not need to worry Kaguya, since it was my responsibility for creating the Hourai Elixir and getting you into this mess in the first place, it is my responsibility to get you out. We will go to a faraway land where they cannot find us, and we will use your powers of manipulation of eternity to stop our history from occurring, and conceal our existence from the emissaries.?

?Wait, you've already planned this all out?? Kaguya was surprised that Eirin had already come up with a plan, but then again, Eirin was the lunar sage. But then, Kaguya noted a problem. ?Alright then. But what are we doing with the emissaries that are trying to get us back to the moon right now??

?Oh, don't worry about that,? Eirin snickered. I've already dealt with them. They think that you have already returned, and they are already on their way back. Kaguya and Eirin had another good laugh, but then Kaguya remembered something.

?Before we go to this land, I need to get something. Come with me.? The pair got up from the grass, and Kaguya led the way. She went back to Okina's old house, the place where her life on Earth had all started. She entered through the door, and then went to the back of the room. She pulled out a hidden panel from the wooden floor. She began to pull out a bowl, a jeweled branch, a robe, a large jewel, and a shell. The treasures from the Five Impossible Tasks were hers.

?Oh, so you have gotten some treasures from your time on Earth?? Eirin was surprised to see all the objects from the legends that she had heard about before her eyes.

?Yes,? Kaguya replied. To her, the objects really weren't important. But it was the time that she had with Okina that gave her reason to keep them.

?Well, that's interesting. I suppose we shall be off then.?

?Alright then, we're off to...? Kaguya paused for a second. Eirin had forgotten to tell her where they were going. ?Uh... Where exactly are we going Eirin??

?A faraway land by the name of Gensokyo,? Eirin smiled. ?The place where the  Youkai dwell.? Without another word, they left Okina's old house, with Eirin leading the way. Kaguya thought about looking back, but she didn't. No time to go back to the past. But instead, the future was before them. However, they did not notice the girl that was staring at them.

gammaraptor

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
Chapter 4 – The House of Eternity

Eirin and Kaguya found themselves staring at an abandoned mansion in the middle of a bamboo forest. Three months had passed since they had abandoned the emissaries and had gone to start a new life. The mansion probably used to belong to some rich noble, but had most likely abandoned it because of the youkai infestation. And now, the two would claim the mansion for themselves.

“Eirin, the mansion is in disrepair, no?” Kaguya was not pleased with the state of the mansion.

“Hmm. Well, that could be a problem. Let me see...” Eirin paused for a moment, deep in thought. “Ah yes. I think I still have some materials to make some pills to convince some strong young men to fix up the mansion...”

“So we're getting some men to do some dirty work for us? Or maybe I could just ask nicely.”

“That would work too. But I would still have to make some medicine to make them forget everything that happens.”

“But couldn't I ask nicely for them to forget about everything too?”

“No princess. Asking nicely won't make them be quiet to an emissary that tries to probe their mind. We can't risk them finding us.” Kaguya thought about that logic for a while.

“Yes, I suppose that makes sense.” Eirin went off and began to setup a makeshift laboratory, while Kaguya went back to the forest to find some unfortunate victim to do their work. Around half an hour later, Kaguya returned, dragging along young man. “So, can you just help me fix up this house?” She asked. The young man agreed, and began to work on the house, and gradually, the mansion began to be repaired. While their laborer was working on the repairs, Kaguya and Eirin began to work on finding furniture to put in the mansion since most of the chairs and tables were broken. Eirin began to build a laboratory in one of the empty rooms, finding shelves, tables, and getting equipment. Around a month later, the preparations were complete.

“Thank you for your help,” Kaguya told the man. The man nodded, and Eirin came over with a pot of tea.

“Here, have some tea.” She poured the man a cup, and handed it to him. He took it, and took a sip, wondering why he was here in the first place. Around 3 seconds later, he fell to the ground unconscious, dropping the cup which Eirin caught before it hit the ground. “Now, the only problem is getting him out of this place without anyone else noticing... We should just leave him at the edge of the forest with maybe a time-fused revival pill... He should be fine on his own after that.”

“Should I go do it?” Kaguya asked.

“No, I will go do it,” Eirin responded. “I think maybe it would better if I administered the drugs... Hmm... this would be an excellent time to test out my intravenous version of the time-fused revival drug...” She went through her pockets, and pulled out a giant needle. “Besides, you should probably begin to prepare the spells to seal off the mansion from history...”

“Sure.” Eirin grabbed a few supplies from her laboratory, then went off through the bamboo forest, dragging the knocked out man behind her. Kaguya smiled to herself. Some things about Eirin would never change.

Around half an hour, Eirin came back, not very pleased. “The time-fuse went off at 2 seconds, I forgot to account for the effects of injecting it through the veins...”

“But it did the job right?”

“Yes,” Eirin sighed. “But I still can't deny the possibility that he saw me...”

“Don't worry about it Eirin. Sometimes, you should really take a break.”

“Maybe you are right Kaguya...” Eirin sighed. “But not until we are done with sealing off the mansion. Have you finished with the preparations Kaguya?”

“Yes,” she smiled. “I am ready.”

“Alright then, let us begin. First, into the mansion.” The pair walked into the mansion, and closed the door behind them with a bang. The entire interior of the home had been repaired and fixed, thanks to the work of the young man. They entered into the central living room. It was time to begin. Kaguya closed her eyes, and focused hard.

“Let us begin...” she whispered. There was silence for a few seconds, and then she began to radiate with power. She opened her eyes again, and the room began to become filled with a bright purple aura, and began to spread. “Let history never proceed forwards...” she breathed. Slowly, the aura was cast over the entire area of the mansion until the entire area was surrounded. “And eternity shall come!” The aura changed color from purple, to red, and then the aura dissipated. The radiance emitted from Kaguya stayed for a few seconds, then it too disappeared. Kaguya took a deep breath out, then collapsed onto a chair.

“Are you all right princess?” Eirin had seen Kaguya's powers used when she had created the Hourai Elixir, but she had not seen her use her power over such a great area.

“Yes, I'm fine Eirin. The spell should work as long as no one else discovers us, as long as that happens, our history shouldn't move forward.” She looked around her. The mansion looked the same, but since had used her powers of manipulation of eternity, the house would never fall into disrepair, and never be discovered, unless Kaguya wished to do so.

“Finally, we can live in peace...” Eirin smiled. She looked up into the night sky, where the full moon was in the sky. There was no going back now. Their first exile was over. But this new exile, was their own choice, and their own destiny. Let the old begone, and the new begin. “Kaguya.”

“Yes?” Kaguya was looking at the night sky too, and she turned around to face Eirin.

“We should name this place where we live. We're going to be here for a long time, so we might as well give it a name.”

“A long time you say? I know the name. We will call this place Eientei, the House of Eternity.”

“A fitting name,” Eirin breathed. “In Eientei we will live for an eternity, if not longer.” Eirin went over to a cupboard, and opened it. Inside, she took out some sake.

“Celebratory drinking?” Kaguya laughed. She went and found two cups to drink from. Eirin came back and filled the two cups with sake.

“To your health princess,” Eirin said, raising up the cup.

“I can't get sick,” she laughed. They both drank from their cups, and they had a very good time that night.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:04:40 PM by gammaraptor »

gammaraptor

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »
Chapter 5 ? Inaba of the Earth.

For several hundred years, the two lived in Eientei. Every day, Kaguya would be educated by Eirin who had taught her back on the moon during the days she was a princess.  Lessons included history, science, mathematics, reading, and writing. Living in Gensokyo was difficult as there were not many supplies around, but Eirin managed to get a hold of all the things that they needed. Even after all the time that had passed, Kaguya's spell worked, and their history did not move forwards. Eientei did not fall into disrepair, and so life was quite easy for them. Eirin devoted a good portion of her time working on new potions and medicines. Life was rather boring however, to have done the same thing over and over for a few hundred years, and not have anything new to do began to get tiring for Kaguya. Then one day, something new happened.

?Kaguya, it's time for your lessons,? Eirin called out. Unfortunately, Kaguya did not hear her as she was still sleeping. Eirin waited for a few minutes, sighed, and then went to Kaguya's room and knocked on the door. ?Princess?? There was no answer, so Eirin opened the door. Kaguya was indeed sleeping, and had not woken from Eirin's calls at all. So, Eirin found and pulled out a needle from her pouch. ?Princess, if you do not wake up, I will inject a medicine to wake you up.? Immediately, Kaguya jumped up from her futon.

?Ah, needle, what?? Kaguya woke up with a start.

?Sorry Princess, but you overslept. After all, oversleeping is not good for your health.? Kaguya was a bit annoyed, but there was no use in annoying Eirin further, so she  got up, and yawned.

?So what are we doing today Eirin? More lessons I'm guessing.?

?Yes Kaguya, we are going to be doing history today.? Kaguya was not exactly pleased to be doing history in the morning, but she complied anyways. The two went to a room, where Eirin began to explain about some sort of lunar event, while Kaguya attempted not to fall alseep. In fact, Kaguya nearly fell asleep, when she felt a sharp feeling that made her jump up. Eirin stopped talking and looked at her.

?Is there something wrong?? Eirin was not pleased with Kaguya interrupting her lesson.

?It's strange,? Kaguya muttered. ?I just felt my powers poke me about something.?

?Poked you, you say?? Eirin was deep into thought. ?The only reason why your powers would bother you, would be if something was bothering your powers. And the only way you've used your powers is...? Eirin came to sudden conclusion. ?There is only one plausible explanation. An event must have occurred in Eientei. But we couldn't have caused it, so...? Her expression darkened. ?Someone else must have.?

?Does this mean that the emissaries have...? Kaguya was surprised that they may have found them already.

?I can't be certain of that, it's not the full moon, so they can't travel here. But they could have traveled before, and taken all this time to find us...? Eirin wasted no more time in grabbing her bow and quiver. She wouldn't be able to outrank a Lunarian emissary in direct combat, but she could at least ward one off. Eirin gestured for Kaguya to stay put, and then she went out the door of the mansion to see who exactly had arrived.

Eirin pulled out an arrow from her quiver, notched it in her bow, and pulled back the arrow. Then, she closed her eyes. She could hear them further than she could see. Eirin listened hard for a few seconds. At first, she could hear nothing. Then, she heard the sound of breathing. She quickly opened her eyes, and then pointed her bow at the place where she had heard the sound. Then, she shouted ?Come out! I know you are there.? In response, she heard a little girl's voice shout back at her.

?Could you put down your weapon? I'm not armed you know... Otherwise I would have finished you off when you came out.? Eirin frowned. Perhaps it sounded like a little girl, but there were probably Lunarians that could manipulate there voice to sound like that. Then, she thought about the logic behind what the voice had just said, then she lowered her weapon a bit, still retaining the tension in the string.

?I will not shoot you, as long as I do not see any weapons. After that, I will put down my weapon.?

?Gee, you're really serious aren't you?? The voice was very annoyed. Then, a little girl with rabbit ears came out, who was wearing a frilly pink nightgown.

?It's a youkai rabbit,? Eirin muttered to herself. ?She could be part of the corps from the moon, no, their ears are longer than that... and they would be wearing uniforms...? She paused for a few seconds, then she put down her weapon. ?Alright, I can assume that you are not an enemy. What do you want??

?Getting straight to business I see. I want you to let me live with you,? the rabbit stated simply. At that, Eirin raised an eyebrow.

?Live here? And why would you want to live here?? Eirin was not convinced.

?I'm bored,? the rabbit responded simply. ?I understand that you might not let me just freeload off you people, so I will also lend you the help of the earth rabbits here. I can control them for you.? Eirin was not thinking about whether or not to accept this offer, rather, she was analyzing how the rabbit had posed the question.

?You people? As in plural? How do you know about...?

?That's easy. I've known about you two ever since you first arrived. I've lived here for a long time. I know everything about this forest.? Eirin thought about this for a while. She couldn't risk a rabbit telling everyone about their existence and the location of Eientei.

?I see. So in exchange for granting you our hospitality, you and the other earth rabbits will serve us??

?That's what I've been telling you for the last few minutes...? the rabbit smiled.

?I see. I cannot give you any guarantees about your offer, as I must consult my mistress first. Please follow me.? The two began to walk back to Eientei, with Eirin in the lead. They returned to the room where Kaguya was waiting.

?So, did it go well?? Kaguya asked Eirin before she spotted the rabbit. ?Oh? Did you get me a pet??

?I am not a pet!? The rabbit pouted.

?Let me explain princess,? Eirin sighed. ?This rabbit has decided to serve us along with other rabbits if we let them stay with us. I feel that it will pose less of a threat to our situation with the Lunarians if we do so. Does that sound alright?? Without hesitation, Kaguya responded.

?Oh yes, that does sound marvelous. Helpers would be excellent.? Kaguya was excited with the idea that she would not have to do as much work around the mansion.

?I guess the deal is done then.? Eirin turned around to the rabbit. ?Do you have any name for us to refer to you as?? The rabbit laughed.

?Of course I do. My name is Tewi.?

?Just Tewi? You don't have a last name?? Kaguya asked.

?Yes. And may I ask who you two are??

?I am Eirin Yagakoro.?

?And I am Kaguya Houraisan. Oh, you really need a last name. How does Inaba sound??

?Tewi Inaba? So you're identifying me as a rabbit in my name now?? Tewi was a little annoyed, but then she thought about it again. ?I guess it does sound nice.?

?Tewi, could you get the rabbits here then? We should probably get them to work.? Eirin was making sure that Tewi was going to fulfill her part of the deal.

?Oh them? They're already here.? The room began to be filled with the chattering of earth rabbits, until Tewi went over. ?Hey! Don't be so loud.? The rabbits immediately stopped talking. Tewi looked back over to where Eirin and Kaguya were sitting. ?See? I told you they would listen to me.? Kaguya and Eirin smiled at each other. It was nice for a change in routine.

?Hey Eirin, why don't we get them to pound mochi? I think it's the season for that.?

?Yes, but we need to get the supplies first,? Eirin responded.

?Alright,? Kaguya sighed. She had been looking forward to some mochi, but she could wait. After all, she had been here for a few hundred years already, so why not wait a bit longer?

?Ah, maybe I should make herbal tea...? Eirin began to head over to her laboratory to get some herbs. As soon as Eirin left, Kaguya turned back to Tewi, who seemed rather bored. 

?So... is it true that a rabbit's foot is a good luck charm?? Kaguya asked. Tewi seemed a little disturbed by her question.

?Of course not! It's just another myth about rabbits,? Tewi grumbled. ?But although a rabbit's foot doesn't have any effect, I can bring good luck to humans.? Tewi seemed proud of that statement.

?Good luck?? Eirin asked as she returned with the tea. She handed Kaguya a cup, then Tewi, and then herself.

?Thank you Eirin,? Kaguya said as she took the cup, she braced herself for the taste of the tea, but as she sipped it, it tasted sweet and soothing. Well, maybe a bit too soothing. Her hands began to get a bit limp, and Eirin and Tewi noticed something wrong.

?Princess? Oh shoot, I think I may have used the wrong herbs...? She tried to quickly think of a way to stop the effects, but it was too late. Kaguya's eyes drooped down, and she fell asleep, dropping the tea cup in the process.