Author Topic: Nue Quest 7 - Serpent Isle: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 54235 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Nue Quest 7 - Serpent Isle: A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »

>You are Nue Houjuu,  Gensokyo's premier shapeshifter! Yours is a long and storied past, ranging from hassling the Mikado's palace in the old days to being sealed underground to making your way among migrant oni and more. But by and large, you've gotten by. These days, you live in the Ancient City, and run a successful tavern, as well as a couple of side businesses. As well, you have taken to hanging with a group of surprisingly open-minded Buddhists.
>And you've been robbed. And so have practically everyone else. By Rinnosuke Morichika, of all people.
>You are an independent-minded person and prone to mischief. You are a confident and flirtatious, seldom at a loss of words or caught off guard. In the old days you had no problem terrorizing those in the highest seats of power, but these days you have calmed down somewhat. Even if you no longer aspire to your old heights of harassing Emperors, you still love to stir up trouble every now and again. Despite this, you find yourself surprisingly responsible these days, between running legitimate businesses and helping out your surface world friends. Some days, you wonder if you're losing your edge. Partially you blame Byakuren's influence; she has a way of making want to behave, at least a little bit. As well, having lived among the rigorously honest oni; quick to answer injury with violence; has done much to quietly shape you toward being a more socially-minded soul. Particularly after the end result of your first attempts to run scams and thieve your way through as you used to...
>These days you consider the oni as good friends, even if they're a bit more gruff than you'd like sometimes. Your tavern serves as a well-known peaceful spot, where people in the Ancient City can go to relax and not worry about the brawls and such, though sometimes they do happen right outside your doorstep. You are acquainted with one of the Four Devas that lead the oni, a woman calling herself Kay. She sometimes uses your tavern as a base of operations, though this has been happening less often lately. You have also found yourself tied to the people of the Myouren Temple, after they forgave you for your last big prank of interfering with their restoration of their leader. They've proven to be true friends, and have done what they can to assist you when you need it.
>A strange event orchestrated by Rinnosuke seems to have turned everyone's money into gemstones of roughly equivalent worth, reaching even into Hakugyokurou. You're not fully sure how he orchestrated it, but it seems to based upon an absolute faith in the power of commerce so strong that he can preform miracles. As well, he sent Tewi Inaba to steal your spellcards, which he plans to use as a component for exchanging all of the taken money to alter the nature of the universe. Chaos has started to break out in the Ancient City, while it is somewhat contained in the human town. The kappa are in a tizzy trying to figure it out, while the tengu town and Scarlet Devil Mansion have closed their borders, as have the Tengu. If things continue to degenerate, life could get very messy in Gensokyo. However, with Nazrin's help, you've made quite a tidy profit from this, assuming the problem ever gets fixed. 
>Having spoken with Patchouli's magic circle, you were able to make some progress in cutting away other possibilities behind this incident. You've managed to independently find that the gems seem to have letters written inside them, and with Patchouli's assistance have found the gems seem to have been created from books in some manner. You joined with Mystia, who wished revenge against whomever took her money, and have chased Tewi to the seldom-explored southern reaches of Gensokyo; finding her in a place where two humans named Rika and Rikako, as well as a ghost named Kana, seem to live. You've gotten some information from Tewi, but you weren't able to get her to divulge more than vague information, nor did you succeed in finding any holes in her story. She insinuated the culprit was somewhere around the Forest of Magic, while Unzan seems to have sensed something in that direction during the event. You've deduced that the culprit was Rinnosuke, and confronted him in his basement, surrounded by the stolen riches, only to be unable to affect him directly. You ended up getting yourself cursed trying to steal something from his horde, which has been staved off for the time being with Patchouli's magic. You have come into the possession of a broken weapon of some power that seems to be akin to what Rinnosuke used, according to Patchouli, and you suspect it has been affecting your dreams.  Awful some thought, you were able to weakened Rinnosuke by bringing him to the edge of hypothermia with Cirno's help, then burrowing under his defenses with a mole-like form, and the clocking him in the head. He is currently being kept at the Myouren Temple.
>You have just arranged for Patchouli to look into things at Kourindou, and were likely preparing to move on.

> "Works. I think that's it, then. Thanks for the help."

>"Sure thing," says Miss Hong. "Happy we could do something."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Nue Quest 7 - Serpent Isle: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:06:56 AM »
> "We're gonna take off. When you can, let Patchouli know that I'll try to meet her where the money is in an hour. Can't guarantee anything, of course, but I'll at least try."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:09:44 AM »
> "We're gonna take off. When you can, let Patchouli know that I'll try to meet her where the money is in an hour. Can't guarantee anything, of course, but I'll at least try."

>"Got it!" says Flan. Drawing her herself up in attention, then giving a little squeak as the rain hits her wings and dropping the pose.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
> Smile.
> "Careful there, Little Miss Wings. Hard to dodge the rain."

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:22:36 AM »
> Smile.
> "Careful there, Little Miss Wings. Hard to dodge the rain."

>"It got me by surprise!" she says.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:49:43 AM »
> "Yeah, it tends to do that. 'Swhy you gotta keep alert."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 02:55:12 AM »
> "Yeah, it tends to do that. 'Swhy you gotta keep alert."

>She nods. "Okay, got it!"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:21:09 AM »
> Turn to Mystia.
> "Okay, here's what I'm thinking. I'll go off and find Tewi. If you can find someone that can cover temp guard duty until Patchouli and her familiar get there, that'd be great."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:33:28 AM »
> Turn to Mystia.
> "Okay, here's what I'm thinking. I'll go off and find Tewi. If you can find someone that can cover temp guard duty until Patchouli and her familiar get there, that'd be great."

>Mystia nods. "Got it. Meet up at the temple, right?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:35:57 AM »
> "Yeah. I expect I'll be going back after I'm done with Tewi, unless I run into that wedge."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:43:25 AM »
> "Yeah. I expect I'll be going back after I'm done with Tewi, unless I run into that wedge."

>"I'll be there," says Mystia, as she departs and walks a couple steps northward, before taking to the air.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »
> Turn back to the gate guards.
> "Catch you two later, perhaps."
> Give Flan another gunwink.
> "Stay dry, Little Miss Wings."
> Take to the air and head upward, keeping an eye out for the wedge.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
> Turn back to the gate guards.
> "Catch you two later, perhaps."
> Give Flan another gunwink.
> "Stay dry, Little Miss Wings."
> Take to the air and head upward, keeping an eye out for the wedge.

>"We'll be here," says Miss Hong.
>You mimic a certain frighteningly powerful rabbit, and give Flan some last minute advice. "You too!" she says as you leave, waving.
>You take to the air and head upward. Looking around, you think you see the wedge, far to the north. It would probably be further north than the Prismriver manor, if you estimate correctly.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
> Bah, we'll get to it later.
> In which direction was the heretic house from here again? Head that way.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
> Bah, we'll get to it later.
> In which direction was the heretic house from here again? Head that way.

>Stupid wedge, being far away.
>You proceed to the southwest. The forest here is large and difficult to pick anything out of, but you took pains to memorize where the Heretics' house is located. However, it takes you a little time to find what you're looking for, as you scout around the general area, and have to look for the specific details that you remember, as you have to dodge around the occasional faerie, or stray danmaku in one case. But after a bit of searching, you fond the trees that you remember, and quickly catch sight of the blocking building below.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
> Swoop down to the building and, if we don't run into an occupant along the way, head for the door where we first entered last night.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
> Swoop down to the building and, if we don't run into an occupant along the way, head for the door where we first entered last night.

>You see no one about, save for a blonde faerie in one of the nearby treetops, and land near the door.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
> Knock on the door.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:37 PM »
> Knock on the door.

>You know on the metal door. It's rather unpleasantly hard, and you fail to make a decent knock on it. You end up having to bang on it with the bottom of your fist before you make a sound strong enough that you think it could be heard. A few moments after that, the door inches open, and you see a brown eye peering through the crack for a moment.  "Oh, it's you," comes Rika's voice, as she opens the door, revealing she is wearing a thick brown apron with odd stains on it,and a white blouse and red skirt underneath. She then calls back "It's just Nue, nothing to worry about."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 10:44:46 PM »
> "Quite the solid door you've got there."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
> "Quite the solid door you've got there."

>"Well, you never know," says Rika. "So, what do you need?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:19 PM »
> "To talk. Lots of things have changed. Most notably that Tewi apparently doesn't actually need to hide, because she unknowingly completed her duty."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 12:11:23 AM »
> "To talk. Lots of things have changed. Most notably that Tewi apparently doesn't actually need to hide, because she unknowingly completed her duty."

>"C'mon in," says Rika. "Tewi's in the drafting room right now."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »
> "'Kay."
> Enter!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »
> "'Kay."
> Enter!

>You walk inside. "'Ko's a little busy at the moment," says Rika as she walks with you, leading you past the table in the front room. "And Kana finally settled down about an hour ago.  Are you going to need us for anything?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »
> "Don't think so, if you have other stuff to do."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:02 AM »
> "Don't think so, if you have other stuff to do."

>"We'll try to see you off, at least," says Rika, as she guides you toward the hall, "Just things are a little busy at the moment."
>She points at the door to your right, on the same side of the hall. "That's the drawing room."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 12:55:08 AM »
> "Got it. Thanks."
> Head into the indicated room.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »
> "Got it. Thanks."
> Head into the indicated room.

>You head into the indicated room, and quickly recognize it as the first room you peered into, late last night. A large table dominates the floor, covered with a number of scrolls, inkstones, and other writing utensils. As well, quite a few origami animals litter the table. Shelves on the wall hold more books and scrolls, and instruments you don't readily recognize. You see Tewi lounging on the floor, a book in hand.
>"What's up?" she says, not looking toward you.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 02:20:23 AM »
> "Turns out you'd fulfilled your obligation the entire time. Figured I should let you know."