Author Topic: Ozzy's Kingdom of Mushrooms Demo is Released!!  (Read 21645 times)

Ozzy

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
Ozzy's Kingdom of Mushrooms Demo is Released!!
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
Well hello all, and welcome to my projects thread. Here you'll find all of the scripts I've made ever since I first started.

Current Projects

Touhou: Kingdom of Mushrooms Demo

Finished Scripts

Patchouli Battle      Youtube

Satori Boss Recollection Rush      Youtube

Triple Finish Spellcard inspired by Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Doopliss's Halloween Special       Youtube

Mario and Luigi Player Scripts

Cirno      Youtube

Stalled Projects

Yuyuko Boss Battle (Now Version 2.0)

Currently looking for constructive comments on the recently released KoM demo.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:25:27 PM by Ozzy »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Ozzy's Beginner Scripts
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »
Right, I've given my own criticism on Patchouli already. Posting to follow!

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
This Patchy fight is actually really nice, imo. How long have you been working with Danmakufu?

Ozzy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »
Thanks! I started learning somewhere in the middle of the last summer. I started my Cirno script then, and as I got better, I made this one. I did have a lot of help testing from some of my friends, otherwise it would be much more unbalanced, probably.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
Didn't like the dialogue at all.

1-simple and enjoyable
2-didn't like this and i don't know how to "fix" it
3-not bad, but not good either. Maybe the green bullets are too static? I have no reasonable suggestion.
4-unfolds quickly, thus it is enjoyable
5-fun and beautiful. Maybe it could be funner if the sawblades would come from other directions? This change could be continious or just left/right side switch.
6-one of the best patterns
7-I have nothing to say for this one
8-didn't like it
9-Should move down faster while not becoming much more difficult, overall enjoyable

Ozzy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:50 PM »
Didn't like the dialogue at all.

That's fair, I know it's pretty cheesy. Honestly, the main reason it's there is to allow for the buildup to the intense part of the music that I timed so that it would start exactly as the spell starts. The single version doesn't have the dialogue or the music intro.

2-didn't like this and i don't know how to "fix" it

This is one of the only cards that I really have trouble capturing on a run. I wonder if that's a coincidence. Probably not, if it was too hard then you probably would have said so. Perhaps it's too random? I'm as clueless as you when it comes to fixing it.

5-fun and beautiful. Maybe it could be funner if the sawblades would come from other directions? This change could be continious or just left/right side switch.

Thanks! Glad I got at least one of them right. I've always been proud of this one in particular. As for your suggestion, I never really thought about changes like that (it was hard enough back then to get the sawblades working at all). It could be worth a try

7-I have nothing to say for this one

I'm wondering if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

8-didn't like it

Any particular reasons why? To be honest it's not my favorite, and I dislike the randomness of the butterflies, but I'm not sure what to do. However, I have noticed that yellow was a poor color to pick for the butterflies since it blends in with the logs way too much. I'll definitely fix that.

9-Should move down faster while not becoming much more difficult, overall enjoyable

This will be easily changed.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
Don't take my opinions as the ultimate truth :V Follow your own lead.

2-The difficulty is ok. Everything else is just not fun. It is pretty random, not sure if thats the issue though. Maybe also bullets coming from too many different directions makes it unenjoyable.
7-For me it means neither of them, i'm completely neutral
8-I would say it is the way the butterflies act in that spellcard

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
1st Nonspell: Nice. Maybe have the bullets rotate in the same direction as the lasers? Creative take on Non-Directional Laser, 10/10.
Fire & Water Sign - Crystalline Elementals: Me - Well this is easy THOSE BULLETS BOUNCE WHAT *pichuu~n*. Of course I'm not that great at Touhou anyway. 9/10.
2nd Nonspell: Familiars, blah blah. Are those green walls? Eh, only thing I could say is make the familiars shoot nicer looking bullets. 9/10 again.
Earth Sign - Nature's Fury: Oh, this can't be that bad oh look bullet rain. Found it rather easy to be had. Not that it's a bad spell. 8/10.
Metal Sign - Sawblades of Bloody Dismemberment: What a nice name. Didn't know Patchy was like that. Reminds me of Mt. Ooe, one of my most hated spells ever in the history of forever. 7/10 just because.
3rd Nonspell: Immediately lasers. And some shotgun bullets afterwards. Surprised me a bit, but I still dodged it. Normally I hate quick attacks like this  :3. It's not bad, just a bit, er, cheap? 7/10.
Sun & Moon Sign - Elemental Orbs: Yawn. Crystalline Elements, but with different patterns. Easy. Honestly, bored me. Didn't last a while and was easy to move through imo. 6/10.
Wood Sign - Rotting Firewood: Oh those are nice logs. Wait, they hit me? Didn't think they'd all move, hurr. Nice wood eating butterflies. 9/10.
Lol Survival Card: Me: Does that timer say 99? It does, doesn't it. Some simple dodging COUNTER CLOCK LASERS. Back to simplicity...Did I hear a familiar being spawned? Oh great, more stretched out bubbles. Timeout achieved. 8/10.

Total Score: 73/90 or B+.
Was great even if I was horrible at it.
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

Ozzy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:02:43 AM »
First of all, thanks for the feedback Trickysticks, I've played your battle as well and will comment on it sometime soon.

Now I've been working on a few things lately including a now completed Satori battle, the link to which I will post sometime tomorrow, probably. As you may expect, the spellcards are all recollections of other ZUN-created spellcards. Most of them are pretty much exactly the same, except for the last. The last one is an original idea inspired from some of ZUN's cards. So don't expect much from the rest of the battle.

In addition, I recently whipped up this spellcard for fun:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPJHR06H

Combination Attack "Triple Finish"

Anyone who has played Super Smash Bros. Brawl should be familiar with the inspiration for this one. I made it mainly because I'm a huge Pokemon fan. I also think it might be cool to make more Pokemon themed spellcards in the future.

Since it was for fun, I wasn't really trying too hard to balance the difficulty or anything, but it's definitely playable. It just came out so well that I thought I should post it here. I know that the boss sprite is missing and that some of the animation is a little messed up. I'm working on the former problem, and the latter seems like too much for me to bother to do right now, but maybe sometime in the future. It's not like it looks THAT bad (IMO).

Well as always, feedback is appreciated.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
The current version of Triple attack has a bug, where if you bomb twice before the pokemon come out it goes straight to the "Eric is out of usable pokemon!" dialogue that's supposed to come up if all 3 are defeated.
The Patchouli script is a lot of fun, nice job on that.

Ozzy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »
The current version of Triple attack has a bug, where if you bomb twice before the pokemon come out it goes straight to the "Eric is out of usable pokemon!" dialogue that's supposed to come up if all 3 are defeated.
The Patchouli script is a lot of fun, nice job on that.

That's been fixed, and ill reupload soon. The problem was that the bombs delayed the pokemon from coming out, causing the check for the number of enemies on screen to occur before they came out.

Ozzy

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »
Alright, as promised, here is the link to my Satori Battle:

http://bulletforge.org/u/ozzy/p/satori-boss-battle/v/10

I'll edit the initial post to add the latest completed projects.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:21:26 AM by Ozzy »

Trickysticks

Re: Ozzy's Beginner Scripts **New** Recollection Rush and Triple Finish Spellcard
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 01:50:28 AM »
Recorded a replay and will upload video soon. With soon most likely meaning tomorrow =P.

It was nice, but the recollections seem pretty exact and the spells chosen weren't the most exciting.
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

Ozzy

Re: Ozzy's Beginner Scripts **New** Recollection Rush and Triple Finish Spellcard
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 02:31:53 AM »
Recorded a replay and will upload video soon. With soon most likely meaning tomorrow =P.

It was nice, but the recollections seem pretty exact and the spells chosen weren't the most exciting.

Yep I expected this, this is why I warned everyone not to get high hopes for Satori. This battle was actually designed to be a boss in a full game type project that some of my friends and I were going to work on. It still may happen, but so far I'm the only one who's done any real amount of work for it. I have a Yuyuko battle in the works as one of the final bosses for the game (my Patchouli is the other). It's supposed to be in the style of Imperishable Night (Final A and Final B). An altered version of Cirno is going to be the stage 2 boss probably.

I'm really more excited to find out what people will think of my Triple Finish card. That one is far more original than anything in the Satori battle.

EDIT: The spell choice was basically limited to what I was confident that I could actually pull off in danmakufu. I haven't the slightest idea where to start with most of the more interesting spells from ZUN. Hence why the spellcards chosen were all REALLY simple.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:39:36 AM by Ozzy »

Trickysticks

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
I am a bit jealous/curious about familiars though, so yeah. Good job.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »
I enjoyed the Satori boss, most of all maybe the last spellcard. I really like the concept of a "Jumbled Recollection".

The Patchouli script was awesome, both graphics and danmakuwise. But damn, her last non-spell is really scary. Also, those explosion-effects on the first spellcard covers a large area too fast for it to look good, can't really describe it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:57:51 PM by Darkness1 »

Ozzy

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
I am a bit jealous/curious about familiars though, so yeah. Good job.

What about the familiars? I'm not sure what you mean. If you're wondering how I made them, would you believe that I made them in Microsoft Word?

Trickysticks

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
What about the familiars? I'm not sure what you mean. If you're wondering how I made them, would you believe that I made them in Microsoft Word?
I mean how you made them. You use quite a lot of them. Though I don't really need em anyway.

Ozzy

Alright, I've got Triple Finish updated with a boss sprite and background. I've also got that pesky glitch fixed. Still no one has commented on Triple Finish, so the spell itself remains unchanged. I'll probably be posting a video of the spell to youtube sometime soon. The sprite was courtesy of a close friend of mine (I can't draw for my life) and the background is from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Anyways, here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9K4CXDHJ

I've got a Yuyuko battle in the works, as mentioned before, and I'm thinking about posting what I have so far so I can make necessary changes. So expect that soon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:29:21 PM by Ozzy »

Ozzy

Well it turns out that Yuyuko was coming quicker than even I thought:

http://bulletforge.org/u/ozzy/p/yuyuko-boss-battle/v/10

It's still incomplete, as I said, and I'm not too sure about the last spellcard.

Trickysticks

Feedback~

1st Nonspell: Eh, okay? Interesting bullets. Somewhat scary. Maybe.
1st spell: Fine. I don't like butterflies for some reason. Still captured it.
2nd Nonspell: Kind of chaotic. Easy to get cornered.
2nd spell: Kind of easy. Made me lazily stand still and get hit by a bubble. Interesting concept, though.
3rd Nonspell: Couldn't get under Yuyuko for the life of me. Timed it out :<.
3rd spell: Combining a bunch of spells is WIN. Even if I got trapped on the right side :V.

Verdict: Good, just tone down the 2nd nonspell and 3rd Nonspell's health?

Ozzy

Feedback~

1st Nonspell: Eh, okay? Interesting bullets. Somewhat scary. Maybe.
1st spell: Fine. I don't like butterflies for some reason. Still captured it.
2nd Nonspell: Kind of chaotic. Easy to get cornered.
2nd spell: Kind of easy. Made me lazily stand still and get hit by a bubble. Interesting concept, though.
3rd Nonspell: Couldn't get under Yuyuko for the life of me. Timed it out :<.
3rd spell: Combining a bunch of spells is WIN. Even if I got trapped on the right side :V.

Verdict: Good, just tone down the 2nd nonspell and 3rd Nonspell's health?

Thanks for the swift reply. Yeah, I'll tone down the nonspells' health, especially the 3rd one. When I put the life up that high, I was thinking of Yuyuko's nonspells in PCB. All of them seemed to last an eternity to me, especially the one with the knives.

I'm more surprised that you found the second one easy. I don't think I've ever captured it, I guess you're just better than me?

The first noncard uses bullets that I thought looked sort of like flowers, but probably look more like shuriken now that I think about it. I agree, Yuyuko shooting bladed danmaku is very strange.

Glad you liked the 3rd one, though I think it has far too much damage resistance.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
  • First non-spell: Autobomb, i suck.
  • First spell: Are you meant to stay in the square? Nicely made, but i don't really understand the concept.
  • Second non-spell: good.
  • Second spell: I really like this one. Good concept and the lasers can startle the player.
  • Third non-spell: Surprisingly easy compared to the other non-spells. Looks good visually though.
  • Third spell: Nice looking and fun to play, but maybe you could add a chargeup animation or something for when the laser is about to materialize?

Good script overall and visually impressive, but the first spellcard and non-spell are a little confusing.

Ozzy

• First non-spell: Autobomb, i suck.

You're not the only one who sucks at it, I've had plenty of trouble doing it on multiple occasions. I should probably tone the speed down or make it last for a shorter amount of time. Probably the former.

• First spell: Are you meant to stay in the square? Nicely made, but i don't really understand the concept.

Yeah, that was the idea. The confined space means that you'll have to dodge through every butterfly wave that comes. Although I couldn't think of some way to indicate this to the player other than to just hope they get it. Hmm... I'll need to think more about this.

• Third non-spell: Surprisingly easy compared to the other non-spells. Looks good visually though.

It is relatively easy, isn't it? I think a lot of it is because many of the bullets go offscreen initially and are thus deleted before they ever reach the player. Is there some way to prevent the auto deletion of regular shots? If not than I may just make Yuyuko stay further down the screen.

• Third spell: Nice looking and fun to play, but maybe you could add a chargeup animation or something for when the laser is about to materialize?

I'm not sure what kind of animation that you have in mind, but I was thinking of adding a sound effect right before the laser materializes, or something.

Trickysticks

To prevent the auto deletion use SetShotAutoDeleteClip(left, top, right, bottom). Default is 100. Change it to 200 or so. Don't make it overly huge though, since you might want shots to delete themselves  :3

Ozzy

Thanks for the tip Tricky, I was always wondering how that function worked, I always thought i needed to set the values lower. And with that I have a new version up with 2 new attacks. I tried to take most criticisms (especially those regarding the life of nonspells) into account. Here's the link:

http://bulletforge.org/u/ozzy/p/yuyuko-boss-battle/v/20

Trickysticks

More feedback...
1st Nonspell: Seems much better. Slower?
1st Spell: Just the right "net" location and health. Pattern repeated twice before I captured it.
2nd Nonspell: Seems much better. Captured with 15 seconds on the clock.
2nd Spell: Can't notice any changes. Still great.
3rd Nonspell: Seems faster. Offscreen bullets magically appearing killed me once, but that's not really a bad thing(?). Also, for me she keeps moving to the left side of the screen and is content to fly back and forth over there. Maybe have her move towards you?
3rd Spell: Always stops in the center now? Nice job of telling the player when it would stop.
4th Nonspell: Ooh. I just like it. Flying all over the screen dodging butterflies = Great!
4th Spell: Looks somewhat frightening but is somewhat easy to me.

Also some suggestions:
Butterfly Net: Make the "net" out of butterflies? Have the lasers appear as usual, then make them butterflies. Somehow.

I'll actually make that video now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:43:07 PM by Trickysticks »

Ozzy

1st Nonspell: Seems much better. Slower?

By a lot, this should give players enough times to see the gaps.

2nd Nonspell: Seems much better. Captured with 15 seconds on the clock.

Huh, that's funny, a friend of mine said it still lasted too long. I am still inclined to believe him since it apparently lasts longer than the 2nd spell. I may lower it's length by a little.

2nd Spell: Can't notice any changes. Still great.

That would be because there were none, I thought it was fine as it is, and apparently it is.

3rd Nonspell: Seems faster. Offscreen bullets magically appearing killed me once, but that's not really a bad thing(?). Also, for me she keeps moving to the left side of the screen and is content to fly back and forth over there. Maybe have her move towards you?

That is probably the result of using a random movement function. I'll look into that.

3rd Spell: Always stops in the center now? Nice job of telling the player when it would stop.

It actually always stopped in the middle, I don't remember changing that. And yeah, the sound effects were much needed.

4th Nonspell: Ooh. I just like it. Flying all over the screen dodging butterflies = Great!

I am very proud of this one myself. Thanks

4th Spell: Looks somewhat frightening but is somewhat easy to me.

Shou was the inspiration for this one (even though i hate the spell it's based off of). I'm still trying to get the right difficulty for this one.

Also some suggestions:
Butterfly Net: Make the "net" out of butterflies? Have the lasers appear as usual, then make them butterflies. Somehow.

An interesting idea, though I'm not sure how to implement it. I'll keep it in mind though.

I'll actually make that video now.

Perhaps you may want to hold off on that for a little bit. I've still got one last spell I want to design for the finale (much like in my Patchy battle) and I still need to do some tweaks for the rest.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
Replay made, shouldn't be desynced.

I'm really surprised that i managed to survive through the last non-spell, though. But i panicked on her second spell...

Ozzy

Ok, I've been working really hard on something new that I'm trying to finish in time for Halloween. So I've temporarily postponed making the last spell of Yuyuko in favor of this:

Doopliss's Halloween Special

This is a tribute to one of my favorite (if not my favorite) bosses from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I've been wanting to make this for some time now and figured what better time to do it then Halloween. Even if you know nothing of Paper Mario (or care) I hope you will enjoy this fight, nonetheless. As it says in the link, this script is not yet finished and hope to finish by Halloween. I think it's roughly a little more than halfway done.

If you want to have the full experience (i.e. dialogue) then play the stage. Otherwise, you can skip right to the action with the Plural version also included. I urge everyone to play the stage at least once. Moreover, I'm still getting around to adding in spell backgrounds, so those are on the way. Finally, you may notice that I have placeholder spell names for 2 of the spells. If anyone would like to suggest names, please don't hesitate.

P.S. Anyone who gets what the 3rd spell refers to gets a cookie :p
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:06:26 PM by Ozzy »