Author Topic: Thoughts about Okuu..  (Read 3190 times)

Thoughts about Okuu..
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
Okay this isn't really a story..just some prose..but comments are still wanted badly.

Okuu loved her wings, more for what they meant then what they were or did.  She did love their blackness: somewhere between the rough surface of basalt and the sharp reflections of obsidian.  She loved how soft and warm they were when she wrapped them around her self.  She loved how big they were how she could stretch them out and brush buildings on each side of the market street.  She loved how big they made her look, how she could grab the attention of a room, or stare down all her fellow hellcrows.   She loved how she could half fold them so they formed an aura around her, a black heart framing her.  She loved how strong they were, how they could hold her against the air, lift up her body into the air.  How they let her fly! But more then all those things she loved them for what they meant, and for that same reason she hated them.

The wings meant that she was not by nature a person, but a beast.  The Satori and the Oni were people they could speak and think and plan and clothe themselves. But the hellcrows, Okuu's people, weren't by nature, people.  Her mother never said I love you, her siblings had mostly died, but those who hadn't were either wild beasts or failed experiments.  Her people fought and rutted and died, all with out telling their story, all without counting more then 3, or knowing a single name.

Okuu had with her owner, her savior, pulled her self out of that pit, but it still called. Sometime the decades of practice, the years of ritual, the iron will shed built up, the lessons she had learned, sometimes it was not enough.  He mind would be over come by boiling thunderous roiling unshaped needs and fears, twisting images of pain and pleasure.  Or sometimes there would be silence, her mind would shatter into pieces, some still connected to her senses, others to her body, others just lonely voices in her head speaking into a void.

Still over all she loved her wings. She loved what she had managed to do, what her owner, the Lady Komeiji, had let her achieve.  Most of the time the practices worked.  She could speak, and plan, and think of others.  She could help her fellows, she could be a person and not a beast, and she felt that was worth more then what those who had it given to them by nature could ever know.

Okuu also loved eggs, but that was for a much simpler reason, they tasted good boiled.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Thoughts about Okuu..
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »
This is frighteningly similar to a short story I had planned! But in a good way, I think. Your take on it was interesting. :3c

A few grammar errors, mostly comma placement, but apart from these this was a nice little drabble. The last sentence made me giggle.

Re: Thoughts about Okuu..
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Thank you. I should add that I don't think this is cannon gensenkyo..I was working on some sort of far future sci fi. (Think of Earth Scorpion's interpretation of CuthuluTech)
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.