Author Topic: Miracles  (Read 2373 times)

XinXin

• Hakase Hakase Hakase!
  • Nano Nano Nano!
Miracles
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
OOS: Hii. So this is essentially what I wrote for my school's Internal Writing Competition and the theme I picked was Miracles as you can see on the title! I'm a bit curious to see how people would see it, and do note that I've pushed the story to its max word count, sadly. Goddamn word counts. SPARRKKK THEM ALLLLL. Neways, would love some constructive criticism on how it is, I wanna learn more!

The bell rang again, signalling the end of another school day. I heaved a sigh of relief as I picked up my bag and strolled to the rooftop. I was looking for a place to stay until my curfew forced me to return home. As I sat down, a bag suddenly dropped beside me. Surprised, I turned around and saw Alis beam at me; smiling from cheek to cheek as usual.

"Hey, what's up, Mira? Waiting in school again?" Alis greeted, her calm and jovial voice filling the air. "You know, you can always come to my place instead of hiding here. I'd do anything for a friend!"

I nodded, assuring her that I was taking her words in.

"I'll stay with you for until you leave, that okay with you?" Alis' smile exuded an aura of reassurance.

I could not help but accept her kind offer. She was the most altruistic person I had ever met, always sacrificing her time for me. Whether it was to comfort me, brighten my days or simply just to accompany me, she would do it if it would make me happy. To have done all of this, her heart must have been ten times larger than anyone else's.

We chatted endlessly and time seemed to fly by so quickly. I noticed the sky had become dark and both Alis and I were immediately silent. It was time for us to head home, and we both knew what that meant. I enjoyed Alis' company for a little while longer since our routes home were identical. I savoured the moments I was with her as they were not for long.

I retreated back home, hoping to find solace in that it would be peaceful today. I silently unlocked and opened the door.

"Are you even LISTENING to me? Or are you completely brainwashed by that vixen?"

That familiar sound of newspapers flying in the air, torn.

"I can't believe that I haven't seen through you for so long."

That familiar voice in that familiar tone, torn.

"You've ruined my life!"

I waited for that familiar line in familiar pain, torn.

"If not for Mira, I would have left you a long time ago!"

My tears just kept flowing. They always treated me like a weapon. I would always be stuck in the middle of the argument, whether they used me as an excuse, to insult the other, or to reassure their sad selves. It was then that I had an epiphany. I did not need to tolerate this suffering anymore, being treated like a weapon rather than the human I am.

I stomped to my room to pack my things and gave Alis a call to tell her what I had decided to do. As I passed my parents in the living room, I told them something that I should have told them a long time ago.

"I'm leaving, and I won't be coming back until this changes. Time after time you've put me through this suffering and I can't bear it. You keep saying that you do things for me, but how the heck is any of this for me? I don't regret any of this. Come find me when you have sorted things out." I stormed out of the door, giving them no reaction time. I did not want half-hearted forgiveness. I had all I needed from that place. I slammed the door hard behind me.

When the door closed behind me, as if on cue, lightning struck and thunder roared as the unforgiving rain began to pour heavily. I still continued striding down the stairs, heading for the nearby park. I sauntered with pride for once in so long, and it felt great. The rain felt like nothing against me. I wanted to laugh, to laugh all my troubles and leave sadness behind.

Halfway in the path, I stopped in my tracks as the rain still continued to pour on me, . I gazed expectantly at the pathway in front of me.

I heard the sound of footsteps. I rejoiced, revelling in the joy that I should be able to find who truly cared for me the most. Alis bolted towards me, umbrella in hand. The first thing she did was to give me a tight, warm hug.

"I'm glad you finally listened. I told you already. Whatever you need me for, I'll always be there." Alis' had this way of comforting me. "You're coming home with me. I won't forgive myself if I let you out of my sight." A tear rolled down my cheek, one tear that I was not shy of anymore. I could never repay Alis for all that she had done."You're family now, you hear?"
Helloo world! Would you like a cookie?