Author Topic: Random Translations & Requests...Two?  (Read 38122 times)

Re: Random Translations & Requests...Two?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
Didn't really have the best of luck hearing the last two, but I think these two lines make the most sense.
Now if you can make out that much, I'm assuming you don't really need a translation for this... er, right?

That's great, thank you.
I understand mostly all of it, except for verbs with ら and れ added in, for example, what's the difference between 守る、守れる and 守られる?
Also, I'm not really sure how ように after a verb is translated, maybe as "seems to"?

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 03:17:20 AM »
That's great, thank you.
I understand mostly all of it, except for verbs with ら and れ added in, for example, what's the difference between 守る、守れる and 守られる?
Also, I'm not really sure how ように after a verb is translated, maybe as "seems to"?
守る Protect
守れる Can protect
守られる Be protected
ように(様に) as if to, seems to, like... etc.

Generally れ is used when a verb comes on the receiving end.
But since there are different patterns for different verbs and their usage, getting used to them should come before trying to generalize too much.

Touhou-ish Examples:
撃つ 撃てる 撃たれる (Shoot, can shoot, be shot)
避ける 避けれる 避けられる (Dodge, can dodge, dodged (by the opposing side) )
集める 集めれる 集められる (Collect, can collect,being collected)

Although it's a bit different from what I taught here, the Five tenses page on the Wikipedia should help you to a fare degree on the patterns.
...But if I teach stuff accordingly to the chart I'd need to add
撃とう 撃ってる 撃てば 撃て (Planning to/about to shoot, shooting, if shot, shoot)
in to the mix, gather up 撃てば and 撃てる as the same て form and at the same time, explain that it's different from the commanding form of "shoot"

...Am I glad I'm not a Japanese teacher.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:18:54 AM by Sabino »

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Hi, someone translated this line from Reimu's section in Perfect Memento about "the vampire incident" (not the scarlet mist incident) before long ago but I didn't add it to the touhou wiki back then cause I wasn't a regular wiki editor.

結局この騒動は、最も力のある妖怪が力業で吸血鬼を叩きのめし、様々な禁止事項を決めた契約を結び、和解した。

Allegedly, this line was mistranslated in the touhou wiki to say "she defeated the powerful vampire", implying it was Reimu that did.  The correct translation was something like "A powerful youkai defeated the vampire".  Needless to say, there's a major difference in the two (Reimu being the one to do it seems to open up some big gaping plot holes)

May I get an accurate translation of this to add to the wiki?  Thanks!

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
In the end, the vampire was defeated through the efforts of the most powerful youkai, and a settlement was reached through a contract that placed a number of prohibitions on the vampire's activities.

Something like that I guess. Might be a bit wordy though.

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:53 AM »
Well, that beats the "a powerful youkai beat the powerful vampire" sentence that came right after "a powerful vampire invaded gensokyo" sentence that was originally there, at least.

Thanks a ton!  ^^

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2011, 01:09:48 AM »
I would love whoever translates these three things so much it would kill me.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Cage_in_Lunatic_Runagate/Seventh_Chapter
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Cage_in_Lunatic_Runagate/Last_Chapter
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Cage_in_Lunatic_Runagate/Afterword

The first two are the most important, and a lot of it is already translated. It feels so incomplete though, so I'd LOVE it if somebody could make what's going on clear and translate it.

Please and thank you.  :]

N-Forza

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2011, 03:04:22 AM »
I'm getting there. I'm editing/translating them all in order, and I'm about halfway done with Chapter 4 or 5 now (the one focused on Yukari). If you haven't read them recently, I'd suggest going back to reread the earlier ones.

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 02:44:53 AM »
Re-translating every chapter, eh? Sounds very efficient.  :)

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »
About that wiki edit...

Soon... I hope.... :X

N-Forza

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
It's not a complete re-translation, just fixing parts that are inaccurate or sound strange.

You better hurry up with that if you don't want me to overtake you, Sabino. :P At least leave the final chapter to me since I already started on it.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2011, 05:44:41 AM »
Well, I don't really mind if you over take me since it's taken me quite some time, and people seem to be waiting for it patiently... :ohdear:

And sure, I'll leave you with the last chapter then.
I guess I'll stick around for the afterwards if I can finish the chapter I'm on soon.
(3/4 of the way there... hopefully I do finish soon....)

...But first I need to catch up with some sleep...

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 05:05:52 AM »
Also, I really, REALLY hate to be a bother, but I was wondering if you could translate these:

東方まんがまつり 音盤文々。

音盤文々⑨

地霊達の東方子守唄

They're album titles, and I don't know what they mean.

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »
Uh, nevermind about my last post about the album titles, I think I've basically figured those little things out by myself.  :derp:

N-Forza

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Finished editing Chapter 6, but I'm not sure if I'll do Chapter 7 soon or not. Depends on how bored I am on Sunday I guess.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
Sabino, Forza. What do you two usually drink to fuel a translation spree. Because it has to be something strong to keep up that pace? :V

N-Forza

« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »
It's nothing special really. I just haven't started on the next book nor Gyakuten Touhou 2 yet so I have fewer options with how I use my "productive free time."

N-Forza

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
Chapter seven is done.

Sorry to put your hard work to waste, Sabino.

NOT

j/k

Or am I

OK, I'll go to bed.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »
Quick check for feedback based on a comment I read on the wiki based on one of my edits to the Genius of Sappheiros pages:

Quote from: Deathsoul4
OK, so when I edited this page last time I apparently mistook 異界 for 冥界 so I thought the armors had wrong stats or were repeated. Then I noticed that 異界のローブ was translated as "Netherworld robe" and 冥界のローブ as "Hades robe". Doesn't 冥界 mean Netherworld and 異界 mean Outer world? Even in this wiki I think Netherworld has the kanji 冥界.

I'm not responsible for the translation (whoever translated those particular items for the English patch is), but I did mention that 'other sources (like EDICT) have the definition as "hades; realm of the dead". Which is both correct for Hades, but the definition for 異界 is "spirit world; underworld; the next world", which seems more appropriate for the Netherworld.'

However, other official sources like BAiJR and PMiSS are using 冥界 for Netherworld.  In light of that, perhaps the names should be swapped and 冥界のローブ becomes Netherworld Robe (which also happens to be found in a chest in the Netherworld) while 異界のローブ  becomes Hades Robe.  Or would there be a better name for the "new" Hades Robe?
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2011, 01:58:49 AM »
Sabino, Forza. What do you two usually drink to fuel a translation spree. Because it has to be something strong to keep up that pace? :V

Cola? I'm not too big of a cofee fan so I tend to stick with tea and other caffeine providers

Quick check for feedback based on a comment I read on the wiki based on one of my edits to the Genius of Sappheiros pages:

I'm not responsible for the translation (whoever translated those particular items for the English patch is), but I did mention that 'other sources (like EDICT) have the definition as "hades; realm of the dead". Which is both correct for Hades, but the definition for 異界 is "spirit world; underworld; the next world", which seems more appropriate for the Netherworld.'

However, other official sources like BAiJR and PMiSS are using 冥界 for Netherworld.  In light of that, perhaps the names should be swapped and 冥界のローブ becomes Netherworld Robe (which also happens to be found in a chest in the Netherworld) while 異界のローブ  becomes Hades Robe.  Or would there be a better name for the "new" Hades Robe?

異 means anything different/abnormal so I think you don't need to stick with the death/hades theme you have going on there.
Something like 'Robe from another realm' or 'robe from another dimension' could also be a legitimate translation.
(Of course these names would need rephrasing since they don't sound too cool  :V)

I think there was actually an armor like that in the Disgaea series, but I don't remember what their translation of that one was...

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2011, 03:10:05 AM »
Thanks for the translations, N-Forza^^  Been hoping to read the final chapters of CiLR for years XD

N-Forza

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
So, I was thinking of translating the Game Center Touhou video after I finished CiLR, but I need someone who can set the subtitles. Fureinify still around?

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »
So, I was thinking of translating the Game Center Touhou video after I finished CiLR, but I need someone who can set the subtitles. Fureinify still around?
You, sir have got good taste.

Anyways, about Furienify.
I think he's still around, but the last time I asked, it sounded like he was being troubled by his laptop not being too appropriate for subbing purposes.

Since the PM notifications don't seem to be reaching his mailbox, I think it might be better if we look for other temporary volunteers to sub and host the videos.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:55 AM »
Oh god, anybody remember me?

Anywya, I need another song translated, this one is specifically important to me, so...

http://pastebin.com/2tcgJ13K

Oh god, why do I feel I'm asking for too much?

(I looked in the wiki, didn't find the translation though.)

Sorry if I'm asking for too much ;_;

Barrakketh

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:33 PM »
Interested in what this says about petrification...I know it works on Kanako, but she's technically supposed to be immune to it and I'm wondering if it mentions what the catch is (I saw something about the Cockatrice's Crest in there):

神奈子には即死が低確率で通るので、さとりのデスザッパーや咲夜や金のマトックを装備したキャラ等、即死攻撃が可能なキャラの誘発を高めて即死狙いも有効。
さとりの邪眼であれば基本確率が高く抵抗を無視する事も出来るので眼に25P振る余裕があればこれが最適。
1ターン目にキラー・ワールドから順に発動する事が出来るとより確実。
諏訪子には石化が効くため、こだわりがなければ攻略に関してはかなり楽。
諏訪子は自動治療があるが、石化は回復しないので問題無い。
(残暑2.04辺りから石化も自動回復するようになったが、石化中は攻撃されないのでやはり石化は有効。)
手段としては聖の漆黒の病魔がベスト。
ラーニング済みで且つトラウマに振るPOWが余っていれば石化ブレスも有効。
コカトリスの鶏冠を持っているのであれば忘れずに装備させよう。
これらの方法を使うのであれば陣形をヒュプノティックバレットにしておくと成功率が底上げできる。

So, I was thinking of translating the Game Center Touhou video after I finished CiLR, but I need someone who can set the subtitles.
What video?  My Google-fu is failing me.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

N-Forza

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:34 AM »

N-Forza

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »
Double post, but the last chapter of CiLR is finally done. Yukari is one seriously messed-up girl, but that's why we love her.

Barrakketh

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 06:43:13 AM »

Any general complaints about the quality of this upscaled sample (requires a recent version of CCCP) of said video?  I only had the Youtube version to work with (which was 640x360...rather small).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:27:31 AM by Barrakketh »

N-Forza

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2011, 10:04:03 AM »
Those screens look OK. It would probably be best to overlap the Japanese subs though.

Barrakketh

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
Those screens look OK. It would probably be best to overlap the Japanese subs though.
The subs will move upward when there is more than one line, so should it be more like this?

They are fairly even on there like that, but if you were to try making them bigger and centered on the JP subs based on one line of text you'd be end up with shorter available space for text on each line (before it wraps) due to the larger font and that would end up with you pushing stuff way up the screen:

EDIT: If do plan on translating it, you could try doing it in a format like this:

Code: [Select]
Actor 1: Well do I understand your speech, yet few strangers do so.
Why then do you not speak in the Common Tongue,
as is the custom in the West, if you wish to be answered?
# TL check: The above seems to be a quote from the lord of the rings, look it up later
Actor 2: What are you babbling about?

Except "Actor 1" (the names between the beginning of a line and the colon are a separator) et al can be replaced with character names or other identifiers (like "Sign", or "Clipboard" when Aya is holding one).  Each new line belongs to the previously mentioned actor (three lines for Actor 1, then a comment, then one line for Actor 2).

Those can be imported into Aegisub like this to be timed and styled:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:37:28 PM by Barrakketh »

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
Woo, Cage in Lunatic Runagate in it's entirety! Now's just the Afterword by ZUN. :P